News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 31, 2022, 05:57:24 PMI am not crazy about it either, but like all changes, I'll get used to it  ;D

I haven't committed to it myself, yet, just testing the waters for now. What do you think about adopting this change for the ATF as well?

ceratopsian

Looks OK to me - but I tend to enter the forum from a different place altogether, not from the home page.  I go to "Unread posts"!

Faelrin

Okay glad to know it was intentional and not one of the recent browser plugins I installed messing with the site layout, lol. I do prefer the boards themselves on the top, but that's just what I've been used to since I joined here way back in 2016. At the same time I do check the recent updated topics section quite a bit so maybe this will be more convenient for me in the long run.

I do wonder if there is a way to abbreviate it or trim it a little bit? As of now if you do want to check out the boards (for any reason) themselves you do have to scroll quite a bit now.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on October 31, 2022, 07:17:21 PMOkay glad to know it was intentional and not one of the recent browser plugins I installed messing with the site layout, lol. I do prefer the boards themselves on the top, but that's just what I've been used to since I joined here way back in 2016. At the same time I do check the recent updated topics section quite a bit so maybe this will be more convenient for me in the long run.

I do wonder if there is a way to abbreviate it or trim it a little bit? As of now if you do want to check out the boards (for any reason) themselves you do have to scroll quite a bit now.

You mean abbreviate the Recent topics list? Yes, I can set it to any number of posts. At the moment it is set to 20.

bmathison1972

For me, I know what topics, threads, and boards I want to visit. I don't necessarily read all the most recent posts (I do more on ATF, but as part of the Admin team I feel it's my responsibility). I think people using a forum as a source of reference will want to easily navigate to the boards and child-boards of interest and not have to scroll down past all the most recent posts. But, I am sure everyone approaches it differently.

If I had any say, I would opt not to do this on the ATF honestly (especially it's not as active as DTF).

Faelrin

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum Yeah that's what I meant. Maybe just to like 15 instead? What would other folks here think?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

postsaurischian

:(  I preferred the side bar. Now there's so much empty and wasted space on my screen.
Before, I obtained an overview of everything without scrolling. Less actractive page design now.
But maybe that's because I'm never using a smartphone, always wide-screen at home, I know, that's old-fashioned.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'll admit it threw me off at first, too. I always use the sidebar to browse the forum by opening each thread in a new tab. I think it blends in a little too much with the forum index and it's harder to tell where one starts and the other ends. If we're taking votes, I also prefer the sidebar.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on October 31, 2022, 08:34:15 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum Yeah that's what I meant. Maybe just to like 15 instead? What would other folks here think?

It was 15 before, right? Maybe it's just status quo bias talking, but that seems like a good number.

Like others, I often go to "unread," or on occasions I'm on mobile, "recent," so if those options remain I don't mind too much either way where recent posts go. It does result in a lot of blank space on desktop, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

I also prefer the old design. Having the new activities as a sidebar felt more handy to me.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2022, 01:14:31 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on October 31, 2022, 08:34:15 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum Yeah that's what I meant. Maybe just to like 15 instead? What would other folks here think?

It was 15 before, right? Maybe it's just status quo bias talking, but that seems like a good number.

Like others, I often go to "unread," or on occasions I'm on mobile, "recent," so if those options remain I don't mind too much either way where recent posts go. It does result in a lot of blank space on desktop, though.

15 seems like a good number but I noticed that all 20 Recent Posts in the list were marked as updated 'Today' (this was so both today and yesterday). i.e. More that 20 posts are regularly being updated in a 24 hour period. In which case, 15 doesn't seem enough.

I'm not sure I'll keep this change and acknowledge the mixed reactions expressed above. I'll leave it as is for another day or two to see if getting used to it makes a difference to how we (including I) feel about it.

DinoToyForum

Another possibility, to avoid the wasted space I could create two central columns above the board index, with the recent posts in the left column, and something else(?) in the right column. But what would that something else be?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 01, 2022, 11:54:29 PMAnother possibility, to avoid the wasted space I could create two central columns above the board index, with the recent posts in the left column, and something else(?) in the right column. But what would that something else be?

So, how about this: two columns of Recent Topics, one column of ten topics for the Dinosaur Collectibles category, one column of ten topics for all the other categories. That gives us a total of 20 topics in half the height, and minimises empty space. I've mocked it up so we can test it out.

Sim

Sorry to be so frank, but the latest change is terrible.  I just want to see which topics have unread posts and the new change makes it confusing and doesn't show all recent unread topics.  Plus the unread topics on the side has disappeared now.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on November 02, 2022, 03:23:38 PMSorry to be so frank, but the latest change is terrible.  I just want to see which topics have unread posts and the new change makes it confusing and doesn't show all recent unread topics.  Plus the unread topics on the side has disappeared now.

There's still a link to the unread topics at the top of the page (below the title), it seemed pointless to have a duplicate link in the side bar as well. If that's what you're referring to. If you mean the list of 'Recent Topics' that was in the side bar, that has just moved to above the forum board index, and it actually shows more topics than before.

I'm still just testing it out so I welcome the feedback.

Sim

Thanks, I've found the unread topics link!  I thought it was something different as it says something different to what it said before ("Show unread" I believe).  Regarding the rest of the latest change, I think it would be more useful to list the newest 20 topics like before, maybe in two columns like now.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on November 02, 2022, 03:40:13 PMThanks, I've found the unread topics link!  I thought it was something different as it says something different to what it said before ("Show unread" I believe).  Regarding the rest of the latest change, I think it would be more useful to list the newest 20 topics like before, maybe in two columns like now.

I had to divide them by category for practical reasons – I can't create a single Recent Topics list in two columns. I can add more than 10 posts to each column if that's the problem, I'll increase it to 15 now.

Concavenator

Not a fan of the latest update with "Recent topics" and "More recent topics", it just looks confusing to me. I'd rather just have one column with the 20 most recent topics.

I do like that the recent topics were moved to the top of the page though, saves me some seconds of scrolling down!

Bread

As a mobile user, the most recent change is confusing.

I can't speak for PC just yet.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Bread on November 02, 2022, 04:14:19 PMAs a mobile user, the most recent change is confusing.

I can't speak for PC just yet.

That's curious, the change is meant to make it easier for mobile users. What's confusing about it (other than being different)?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: