News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 See the second post from avatar_suspsy @suspsy which is up to date. Both him and avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy made threads about the same time, and then they got merged.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

Quote from: austrosaurus on October 14, 2022, 05:12:53 AMI'm pretty sure that Tarbosaurus is "based on" a piece of palaeoart by Raul Martin, down to the perspective-caused wonkiness with the skull.

Hmmm...

I think you're probably right. Of course, Schleich's version has also been tweaked further with scutes and larger teeth, because woe be it that a large theropod look anything less than monstrous.  ::)
I almost liked this figure before, but now I'm feeling a little annoyed about it.

suspsy

That is a suspiciously striking resemblance.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GiganotosaurusFan

The Tamiya T. Rex is also very similar to Raul Martin's illustration...coincidence?
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Halichoeres

Wouldn't be the first time. A very Geoworld-like move by Schleich.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Steal design from someone else, so you do not have to pay an own designer.  ::)

Concavenator

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor it seems that's mostly what they do. Usually a big part of their releases have stolen designs. And they always end up being leagues behind the original references, and this Tarbosaurus is no exception.

dyno77

Accuracy isnt what the mainstream stores want,they just want dinosaur figures of any type..this has been the case for years..
Very interesting figures esp the tarbosaurus and gallimimus.The edmontosaurus looks really good esp from the photos,its appears to be the best looking figure..
I cant remember any gallimimus figures being released by any company,jurassic world version was a toy,and the only others im aware of was the kinto desktop statue gallimimus herd,and the battat...there may be resin kit versions but iv never came across them if there was....its been at least 15yrs since the desktop version was released...

Lynx

Here are my thoughts on every figure because I have not done it yet:

- Gallimimus: I will be picking this up eventually, looks very good, ignoring whatever is going on with the hands. No further thoughts.

- Tarbosaurus: Well, that's one ugly hunk of plastic. Looks identical to their Tyrannosaurus, and I already don't like that sculpt. The colors are okay but not enough so that I would buy it for that. All in all, a lousy figure without the charm, IMO.

- Edmontosaurus: I already have the Safari LTD one, and while the colors make me like it more than the Tarbosaurus, its neck is interesting, to say the least. Still though, might buy it.

- Gasotina: The absolute best of the bunch, and I remember having a childhood book with this species hunched over, swinging its tail in the air. Will see if I can purchase it upon release!

As for the Monolophosaurus, it has no neck, and is alright, but I have no interest.
An oversized house cat.

Ludodactylus

I love the colors and patterning on the Monolophosaurus, but I'm not sure it's enough to compel me to buy it. Everything else is an easy pass for me.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on November 07, 2022, 02:11:24 PM- Edmontosaurus: I already have the Safari LTD one, and while the colors make me like it more than the Tarbosaurus, its neck is interesting, to say the least. Still though, might buy it.

Even with the highly errenous ungulitigrade hindfeet?

Lynx

Quote from: Flaffy on November 07, 2022, 05:56:15 PM
Quote from: Lynx on November 07, 2022, 02:11:24 PM- Edmontosaurus: I already have the Safari LTD one, and while the colors make me like it more than the Tarbosaurus, its neck is interesting, to say the least. Still though, might buy it.

Even with the highly errenous unguligrade hindfeet?

Honestly I rarely mind issues with feet in figures, unless it is just awful looking and ruins the figure.
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Lynx on November 07, 2022, 06:30:56 PM

Honestly I rarely mind issues with feet in figures, unless it is just awful looking and ruins the figure.
I dont see how you can look at that figure for the first time and not physically start laughing
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Lynx

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 07, 2022, 08:10:21 PM

I dont see how you can look at that figure for the first time and not physically start laughing

The power of already having worse Schleich figures
Once you are used to how hilariously bad some of their figures are, it doesn't have the same sort of reaction.
An oversized house cat.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Lynx on November 07, 2022, 08:14:08 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 07, 2022, 08:10:21 PM

The power of already having worse Schleich figures
Once you are used to how hilariously bad some of their figures are, it doesn't have the same sort of reaction.

I would say Schleich figures are being made for the not science-oriented, not specialized-in-Dinosaurs figure collector.
 Yes, they do exist, they're out there, not here at the DTF! And I'm afraid they're the majority :-\ .
 Therefore Schleich has the right to go on, just like Coldplay has in music ;D .

In a capitalist society (in which we all live in) you  have to serve the mainstream.

Thialfi

Some more Gastonia pictures. Honestly looks pretty alright in my non-scientific eyes. Might be tempted to pick this up.

SidB

A bit long- legged, but I may just get one too.

Gwangi

The legs do look long but I can live with it, although I do wish more of the osteoderms were painted too. The Gastonia is the only 2023 Schleich dinosaur I'll be getting.

Halichoeres

I think I still prefer the CollectA Gastonia, myself.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 15, 2022, 02:46:47 AMI think I still prefer the CollectA Gastonia, myself.

Same  here. Can't quite get over how long those legs are on the Schleich. And the CollectA has the more appealing + interesting colour scheme too. I personally feel that despite it's age, the CollectA Gastonia is an overlooked little gem.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: