You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 13/09/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

It's one of my favourites too but seems undervalued.  I don't get the impression many others are quite as keen on it.

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'd have guessed acquatics were your favorites  :))

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I think its price had something to do with it. It's a little gem, but when it came out, Ankylosaurus and the like were about 22 euros and Pinacosaurus was 31 euros, which is a bit high if you put them side to side. Of course now it costs an even less appealing 37 euros. Myself I waited until I found a sale plus a coupon reducing the price to 26 euros, which seems more fair.

The Cretaceous ±1:32 in my collection. I was requested this picture on STS some time ago, and seized the chance during a little rearrangement of my collection. Sorry for the low res, bad camera and had to be quite distant to include them all. It was meant to be all mesozoic, but I ran out of space.

Larger
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

ceratopsian

You are quite right. I had blissfully forgotten the pricing issues!

Concavenator

Not sure if I understand it right, but if the PNSO Pinacosaurus has the head of P. grangeri and pretty much the body of Saichania, does that make it a chimera? Or are Saichania restorations the ones that are chimeric?

I've been going back and forth whether to get this one or not. It's not a taxon I'm particularly enthusiastic about, but being the ankylosaur with the best fossil remains it's an important one. Plus the figure itself is quite nice, I particularly like its colors. The problem is I find it ridiculously expensive for its size.

Lynx

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on December 19, 2022, 07:10:02 PMNot sure if I understand it right, but if the PNSO Pinacosaurus has the head of P. grangeri and pretty much the body of Saichania, does that make it a chimera? Or are Saichania restorations the ones that are chimeric?

I've been going back and forth whether to get this one or not. It's not a taxon I'm particularly enthusiastic about, but being the ankylosaur with the best fossil remains it's an important one. Plus the figure itself is quite nice, I particularly like its colors. The problem is I find it ridiculously expensive for its size.

If it helps, that Pinacosaurus has been the best purchase I have EVER made. It's adorable and well-detailed (maybe even better than newer releases, and the paint scheme is just perfect.

Highly doubt it's the figure that's a chimera. Lots of Asian ankylosaur reconstructions are based on Pinacosaurus (as it's one of the BEST preserved ankylosaurs) so I highly doubt PNSO would go that route.
An oversized house cat.

Leyster

Quote from: 5aurophaganax on December 19, 2022, 07:10:02 PMNot sure if I understand it right, but if the PNSO Pinacosaurus has the head of P. grangeri and pretty much the body of Saichania, does that make it a chimera? Or are Saichania restorations the ones that are chimeric?

It's Saichania which is chimeric. It's often completed with specimen MPC-D 100/1305, which Arbour (2014) finds not to be Saichania and possibly being Pinacosaurus.

About the price, if it helps, just wait for sales. I got it for 26 euros.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

avatar_Lynx @Lynx glad to hear you're so happy with it!

L @Leyster that's interesting, I'm not an expert on ankylosaurids so I thought we had a much better image of Saichania than we actually do, probably because Saichania means "beautiful" as a reference to its preservation state.

And yeah, I forgot about the sales for a moment (which is dumb on my part because I ordered the Styracosaurus during the last 11th November sales). That makes things better, actually I've decided that I'll only be getting PNSO figures during their big sales (11th November, Christmas, and forth) so the prices are more manageable.

P.S. Looking at your index in the first post, there is some misspelling:

It's Beipiaosaurus inexpectus not Beipiaosaurus inexpertus and you also misspelled Deinocheirus as Deincheirus.

Hope this helps.

Leyster

Ah, thank you, they must've been typos. I corrected them.

Leyster

Binomial name: Giganotosaurus carolinii Coria & Salgado 1995
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Allosauria->Carcharodontosauria->Carcharodontosauridae->Carcharodontosaurinae->Giganotosaurini
Time: Cenomanian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: Candeleros Formation (present day Argentina)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2023
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:33 for MUCPv-Ch1

Halichoeres

I skipped this one, but I have to say it looks pretty good!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Yeah, it's very nice but no need for me to get the more fragmentary Giganotosaurus and/or Mapusaurus having the option to get a Meraxes instead. Congrats!

Leyster

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres yes it's a kind of nice model.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator well I got all three of them ;)

I think I'll expand this thread to include some modern animals I found myself collecting later on. I saw nothing on the rules, but since other members post modern animals sometimes, I think it'd be ok. Let me know if it's not.

Fear not, this thread will remain prehistoric-heavy, as I own very little modern animals and I got them mostly to scale with the dinosaurs.

Leyster

So, modern animals. Since we have usually a wide range of sizes from direct measurements, for modern animals, I picked some which fitted inside the scales I collect, but of course the same animal can be larger or smaller, too.

Binomial name: Panthera leo (Linnaeus, 1758)
Classification: Placentalia->Boreoeutheria->Laurasiatheria->Scrotifera->Ferungulata->Ferae->Carnivora->Feliformia->Felidae->Pantherinae
Time: Gelasian/Clabrian (Pleistocene) - Recent
Formation: historically through much of the African continent, Balcanic Europe, southern Asia up to India, now restricted to sub-saharan Africa with a relic population in India
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2018
Sculptor: Kiyama
Scale: 1:32 following Haas, Hayssen & Krausman (2005)

Leyster

Binomial name: Glyphoderma kangi Zhao et al., 2008
Classification: Sauropterygia->Placodontiformes->Placodontia->Cyamodontoidea->Placochelyidae
Time: Ladinian (early Triassic
Formation: Falang Formation (present-day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2016
Sculptor: somebdoy in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:10

Bread

Glad to see your thread again L @Leyster

It was always informative and great pleasure to read about these models. It also helps me pick out the most up-to-date model.

postsaurischian

A very nice model. Especially smaller species like this one are must-haves for me from PNSO's mini line.
 The same goes for Kaiyodo.

ceratopsian

It seems hard to believe it was released so long ago! I miss the miniature line for these little treasures.

Leyster

avatar_Bread @Bread thank you, glad that you find this thread helpful

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian I agree, it' a shame that PNSO quitted this miniature line. It was a perfect way to feature smaller species.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian right? I can't believe PNSO is more than five years old!

Binomial name: Chimaera phantasma Jordan & Snyder, 1900
Classification: Holocephali->Holocephalimorpha->Chimaeriformes->Chimaeroidei->Chimaeridae
Time: The genus is known since the Eocene, not sure about the species.
Formation: Pacific Ocean
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2001
Sculptor: Eiichiro Matsumoto
Scale: 1:10 for an average specimen

ceratopsian

L @Leyster - I believe that I bought my first PNSO models (the vinyl hollow models) through acro-man on this forum as far back as 2016.

Halichoeres

How odd, I got an email notification that I'd been tagged in this thread today, but I don't see anything.

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 03, 2023, 04:46:39 PMIt seems hard to believe it was released so long ago! I miss the miniature line for these little treasures.

They do seem to have given up on the miniatures, which is a real shame. This Glyphoderma is exceptional.

That chimaera isn't too shabby either!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: