News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Signatu Studio - New for 2022

Started by Flaffy, May 25, 2022, 11:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Just thought that I'd drop by this site and see what's up. Really beautiful. But, wow, the breakage - that, with the initial cost, makes these figures a no-go for me. Well, we all have to determine our boundaries, I suppose.

edu

Quote from: Flaffy on December 23, 2022, 12:59:31 PMAfter almost 3 weeks (postal strikes ::) ) my order from Miguel has finally arrived... with some damages.

He should send you a replacement! Isn't he doing it?!

Dusty Wren

Arrghhh, I'm so sorry, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy! That is heartbreaking. The antlers are such an obvious potential point of breakage, I'm shocked that they weren't wrapped better. I was putting off ordering mine until after Christmas, but now I'm rethinking it altogether.

The good news is that the repair should be pretty straightforward. Once they're fixed, the breaks won't even be noticeable.
Check out my customs thread!

Flaffy

Quote from: Dusty Wren on December 23, 2022, 05:09:20 PMArrghhh, I'm so sorry, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy! That is heartbreaking.

Yeah... as soon as I heard the parcel rattling from the inside my heart sank. Definitely put a damper on the holiday cheer. :-\

QuoteThe antlers are such an obvious potential point of breakage, I'm shocked that they weren't wrapped better.

IKR. Miguel explained that he had put packing peanuts in the past, but compression pressure would lead to breaks regardless so he stopped doing it.

But it's absolutely perplexing how anyone would think shipping such delicate structures exposed in a cardboard box would be sufficient protection.

If fossil sellers manage to regularly ship highly fragile trilobites without issue, a better way to ship these resin models is absolutely achievable.

QuoteI was putting off ordering mine until after Christmas, but now I'm rethinking it altogether.

The good news is that the repair should be pretty straightforward. Once they're fixed, the breaks won't even be noticeable.

Same here. Definitely rethinking any future purchases at this point. I shouldn't need to spend an extra £50 to get a £100 figure fixed, when damage is absolutely preventable.

And here's to hoping about the repairs... would repair glue even be strong enough to hold the antlers securely in place?

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Flaffy on December 23, 2022, 08:12:54 PMAnd here's to hoping about the repairs... would repair glue even be strong enough to hold the antlers securely in place?

I don't have as much experience repairing resin as I do PVC, so take this with a grain of salt. But if you drilled into the antler and the pedicle and set a piece of strong wire between them with a two-part epoxy glue (something like this), I think it would hold. I did something similar when I fixed the snapped antler on my Papo Megaloceros. Resin is heavier than PVC, though, and harder to drill into. You said the Megaloceros came with one antler detached for shipping--did Miguel tell you what glue to use to attach it?

Flaffy

Quote from: Dusty Wren on December 23, 2022, 09:03:33 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 23, 2022, 08:12:54 PMAnd here's to hoping about the repairs... would repair glue even be strong enough to hold the antlers securely in place?

I don't have as much experience repairing resin as I do PVC, so take this with a grain of salt. But if you drilled into the antler and the pedicle and set a piece of strong wire between them with a two-part epoxy glue (something like this), I think it would hold. I did something similar when I fixed the snapped antler on my Papo Megaloceros. Resin is heavier than PVC, though, and harder to drill into. You said the Megaloceros came with one antler detached for shipping--did Miguel tell you what glue to use to attach it?

Miguel told me to use Loctite (cyanoscrilate superglue). Never used the stuff before, nor do I have experience with gluing stuff myself.

I thought about inserting a metal wire too, but yeah like you said resin is far more brittle. Not sure if it's even possible to drill a wire into something that delicate. But as I plan to send these two figures off to be repaired & restored by an artist, I'll probably get them to help me with making a final call on the best course of action. :-[ 

Bokisaurus

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy oh no, sorry to hear it broke!
It's my biggest concern that's why I haven't purchased any.
My Sivatherium (different artist) with less fragile and ornate horns also broke during transport and oddly it was packed very similarly to yours.
The thing is, even a tissue paper wrapped around the horns would have help further damage by preventing the piece from rattling and damaging other parts.

I used superglue on mine and it worked really well. Yeah, bummer to spend that much and get a damaged one.
Good luck, hope you can have the model fixed. Absolutely heartbreaking to have such beautiful models arriving damaged.

Odobenocetops

Using superglue should not be an issue fue any adult

Pachyrhinosaurus

I just received my first pieces from Miguel (the gelada baboon and cinereous vulture) and both were packed very well like the hipparion pictured above.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy The fossil dealers I know will often glue specimens into tupperware containers if there are delicate parts such as those on some Moroccan trilobites. I suppose it's the same idea, to secure the piece in an open space so there's nothing it could hit.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Flaffy

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 23, 2022, 10:01:03 PMI just received my first pieces from Miguel (the gelada baboon and cinereous vulture) and both were packed very well like the hipparion pictured above.

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy The fossil dealers I know will often glue specimens into tupperware containers if there are delicate parts such as those on some Moroccan trilobites. I suppose it's the same idea, to secure the piece in an open space so there's nothing it could hit.

Yes that's what I had in mind as well. The "open-space" method of buffering isn't a bad idea per say, but it all boils down to the execution. A good quality tupperware box is near indestructable, and is certainly capable of absorbing a lot of shock, much more than say cardboard.

Having all the antlers packed separately might also help in reducing risk of damage as well.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 23, 2022, 09:47:00 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy oh no, sorry to hear it broke!
It's my biggest concern that's why I haven't purchased any.
My Sivatherium (different artist) with less fragile and ornate horns also broke during transport and oddly it was packed very similarly to yours.
The thing is, even a tissue paper wrapped around the horns would have help further damage by preventing the piece from rattling and damaging other parts.

Good idea, I'll bring that up with Miguel so that he can improve his future shipments. I suspect a tiny tip of the Megaloceros's loose antler broke off because of this exact issue. (thankfully the tip was still in the box). I reckon slapping on some FRAGILE ITEM warning labels wouldn't hurt either.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy So sorry to see this happened with your figure, especially such a costly one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

That's a bummer. A shape that complex should really have custom-cut foam for shipping.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dusty Wren

I noticed that Miguel has added a note to both the Megaloceros and the Eucladoceros on his website that says the figures are now shipped with the antlers detached. That's safer, but I'm still not sure the base of the antlers will provide enough of a surface area for gluing alone to be enough. It really seems like they need to be pinned and glued.

I'm still debating this purchase. I don't have a lot of experience drilling into resin, so pinning it myself will be an adventure. Not sure I'm up for experimenting with an $100+ model.

dinocat

Got my Eucladoceros last week. One antler broken off clean at base. Was an easy fix to glue it back on.

Flaffy

Quote from: Fenestra on December 29, 2022, 09:31:35 PMI don't know what to think of this... Signatu Studio on Aliexpress?
Is this bootleg stuff already or does Signatu Studio actually get paid when you would order this item there?

I don't see any SignatuStudio products being bootlegged in the link you provided.

Quote from: dinocat on December 28, 2022, 09:43:45 PMGot my Eucladoceros last week. One antler broken off clean at base. Was an easy fix to glue it back on.

That's incredibly unfortunate. Not something that should be happening to 100 euro figures.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Flaffy on December 29, 2022, 09:34:40 PM
Quote from: Fenestra on December 29, 2022, 09:31:35 PMI don't know what to think of this... Signatu Studio on Aliexpress?
Is this bootleg stuff already or does Signatu Studio actually get paid when you would order this item there?

I don't see any SignatuStudio products being bootlegged in the link you provided.

There is a SigStudio figure in that link, pics from Miguel's shop. Maybe someone in China bought it and is re-selling it? Or they have already turned a bootleg? Either way, they are using Miguel's studio pics!

Flaffy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 29, 2022, 09:58:12 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 29, 2022, 09:34:40 PM

There is a SigStudio figure in that link, pics from Miguel's shop. Maybe someone in China bought it and is re-selling it? Or they have already turned a bootleg? Either way, they are using Miguel's studio pics!

This is all I see, I can't find any of Miguel's products on this page. Maybe they're hidden deeper in Jurassic Zoo Store's shop?

Faelrin

D @dinocat You too? Between avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy and you I think I am reconsidering. Can't risk having a figure breaking when I'm not capable of repairing it, especially considering the conversion rates and international shipping on top of that.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on December 29, 2022, 10:06:33 PMD @dinocat You too? Between avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy and you I think I am reconsidering. Can't risk having a figure breaking when I'm not capable of repairing it, especially considering the conversion rates and international shipping on top of that.

It's getting increasingly obvious that the current method of packing is woefully insufficient at protecting delictae fragile figures like the Megaloceros and Eucladoceros. Really hope Miguel finds a solution to this issue...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: