News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Latest news from David, posted on social media yesterday:

QuoteHappy Halloween everyone! With it being nearly November, I felt this was a good time to address the status of the upcoming batch of Beasts of the Mesozoic figures. I had hoped to begin fulfilling the pledges and preorders for these items by now, however the factory has recently requested more time to work on the deco for these figures (similar to what happened with Ceratopsians wave 3 last year). So this has set the schedule back by several more weeks unfortunately, but I am told that final packaged samples will be ready by the end of this week and I'll be showing those off once I have them in-hand. As for fulfillment- I am looking into air freight options to get a portion of the production run here before the end of November for those that have been waiting, with the rest of the stock arriving at the warehouse sometime in December. I'll have a new Kickstarter update next week with more detailed information about these releases as well as the next set of Tyrannosaurs. Thank you all so much for your patience.

All good things come to those who wait.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

I'm reevaluating my purchase-list from the Tyrannosaur series, and wanted to avoid adding particularly fragmentary species; especially since these figures are quite pricy.

Does anyone know if there's more material assigned to Alectrosaurus save for hindlimb elements + the odd phalanages? Skull matieral would be particularly interesting.

Halichoeres

The Thomas Holtz-authored Tyrannosauroidea chapter of The Dinosauria alludes to referred cranial material, although the holotype is a hindlimb. There are no figures in this chapter of the skull, the only details I could find are that the dentary contains 18 teeth, which is a lot for a tyrannosaur.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 11, 2022, 03:29:29 AMThe Thomas Holtz-authored Tyrannosauroidea chapter of The Dinosauria alludes to referred cranial material, although the holotype is a hindlimb. There are no figures in this chapter of the skull, the only details I could find are that the dentary contains 18 teeth, which is a lot for a tyrannosaur.

Ah, a shame that anything other than the hindlimbs are so poorly documented. Guess I shall be passing on the Alectrosaurus then since the figure's legs aren't specific to the model, and thus represents a generic Pantyrannosaur rather than Alectrosaurus proper.

Halichoeres

I found another paper that says the skull has been "unavailable for many years," but doesn't specify what that means exactly: private collection, misplaced in a museum, held in a museum that Western researchers would have a hard time getting access to...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Giganotosaurus

Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

suspsy

No word, I'm afraid. David will surely announce when shipping does commence. Hopefully it will indeed happen before the month is out.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Over9K

Latest update from David:

QuoteT. rex fulfillment status

US fulfillment- early January

In my previous update you may recall that the T. rex sea freight shipment was expected to arrive at the US port on Dec. 21st. Well, the most current arrival estimate is now set for none other than Christmas Day.

Allowing a few days for the shipment to be held and released from customs, trucked to our warehouse, and then have the cases sorted into inventory, the fulfillment will likely begin shortly after the New Year, which is still in line with my previous prediction of late December or early January. But if we can begin any sooner we certainly will. 

Also, if you need to update or check your shipping addresses, now is definitely the time to do so! 

UK and EU fulfillment now in progress.

There are also some photos of the new W1.5 figure paint samples and their tentative packaging over at Kickstarter.

LINK - BOTM Tyrannosaur Series on Kickstarter

Halichoeres

I don't have anything in the first wave, so I figure I'll be waiting till summer.

ladyferry

How do you get the large T Rex in a running pose when displaying it, so it doesn't fall over on the stand?

Is there an online video I can use as a guide?

This photo is an example of what I am trying to achieve.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ladyferry on December 31, 2022, 10:45:44 PMHow do you get the large T Rex in a running pose when displaying it, so it doesn't fall over on the stand?

Hard to say without having it in hand yet. You might could message David and ask him?

MLMjp

Just received an email from everything dinosaur, my 1/35 T.rex has already been shipped!

ladyferry

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 01, 2023, 06:29:06 AM
Quote from: ladyferry on December 31, 2022, 10:45:44 PMHow do you get the large T Rex in a running pose when displaying it, so it doesn't fall over on the stand?

Hard to say without having it in hand yet. You might could message David and ask him?

I emailed David, heard nothing back yet. Will let you know if he replies.

andrewsaurus rex

I don't have the figure, so i'm guessing here.   I guess the problem is the figure will fall over because the foot touching the base pulls out of the peg on the base?  Super glue might fix that but then you will find it difficult (but not impossible necessarily) to remove the foot from the base in future.   However, there is one major problem with the pose you want.....it will transmit the entire weight of the figure to the ankle joint of the one foot that is touching the base.  Even very stiff plastic will start to warp over time, so I think eventually, no matter what solution you come up with, the figure will start to bend forward at the ankle joint.

Sooo, the only thing you can really do with such a big figure is to put some kind of vertical prop under the chest.  Most people say 'yuk' at prop rods and I do too.  I have the XPlus Albertosaurus and went through a similar problem.  It has a base but the figure is made of soft vinyl and warps easily even though BOTH feet are  touching the base.  It comes with a gold prop rod that fits under the chest to prevent this.  I hated it, so I tried a bunch of other solutions.......but no matter what I  did the figure warped forward if I didn't use a prop under the chest   I finally used a clear plastic cylinder that krazy glue comes in, instead of a metal rod.  To me, I found it less obtrusive than any wire support I tried..  Because it's clear, from a few feet away I found it difficult to see, or at least more  difficult than a wire.  However, that's me, you may prefer a wire, but regardless of what you use, if you want your T.rex figure in a running pose, you will almost certainly need to put some kind of vertical prop under the chest.

ladyferry

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 04, 2023, 10:45:05 PM

I don't have the figure, so i'm guessing here.  I guess the problem is the figure will fall over because the foot touching the base pulls out of the peg on the base?  Super glue might fix that but then you will find it difficult (but not impossible necessarily) to remove the foot from the base in future.  However, there is one major problem with the pose you want.....it will transmit the entire weight of the figure to the ankle joint of the one foot that is touching the base.  Even very stiff plastic will start to warp over time, so I think eventually, no matter what solution you come up with, the figure will start to bend forward at the ankle joint.

Sooo, the only thing you can really do with such a big figure is to put some kind of vertical prop under the chest.  Most people say 'yuk' at prop rods and I do too.  I have the XPlus Albertosaurus and went through a similar problem.  It has a base but the figure is made of soft vinyl and warps easily even though BOTH feet are  touching the base.  It comes with a gold prop rod that fits under the chest to prevent this.  I hated it, so I tried a bunch of other solutions.......but no matter what I  did the figure warped forward if I didn't use a prop under the chest  I finally used a clear plastic cylinder that krazy glue comes in, instead of a metal rod.  To me, I found it less obtrusive than any wire support I tried..  Because it's clear, from a few feet away I found it difficult to see, or at least more  difficult than a wire.  However, that's me, you may prefer a wire, but regardless of what you use, if you want your T.rex figure in a running pose, you will almost certainly need to put some kind of vertical prop under the chest.

I am looking online and keep coming across these T-Stands which are made of a heavy wire. They may do the job, but it has to be the right height to accommodate the gap between the chest of the T. Rex and the shelf. They also have to be strong enough to hold the very heavy weight of the large T. Rex figure too. I will keep looking.

andrewsaurus rex

yeah, the trouble with under chest supports is that they have to be exactly the right size.  So they either have to have some adjustability, or be custom made, unless you get lucky and find something the right size.

If there is something above your display shelf, you could always try looping a piece of fishing line around the chest of the figure and attach the fishing line to that something above your shelf, essentially hanging it from above, instead of supporting it from below.  It would have the advantages of being very simple and nearly invisible.

Over9K

IMO, the question of a stand is moot; the pose isn't really possible, given the limitations of the hip/knee and especially the ankle joints. There just isn't enough swing in any of the joints to get the lifted leg into that tight of an "S".

Maybe on some of the smaller body-types, but I don't see the big ones being able to "sprint".

andrewsaurus rex

ooh.   Well by heating and gluing the joints you could probably do it, but it would then be a permanent pose.

ladyferry

Quote from: Over9K on January 06, 2023, 03:51:07 AMIMO, the question of a stand is moot; the pose isn't really possible, given the limitations of the hip/knee and especially the ankle joints. There just isn't enough swing in any of the joints to get the lifted leg into that tight of an "S".

Maybe on some of the smaller body-types, but I don't see the big ones being able to "sprint".

I have tried it and it definitely works, but the Rex won't stand up on its own as the body is so heavy, and topples over.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: