You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

General diorama contest discussion

Started by DinoToyForum, March 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

This year I'm not having a sponsor because I want to run the contest autonomously to minimise workload. The back and forth with sponsors is often what takes the most energy.

Instead, I will provide prizes myself. I'm planning for an optional nominal 'entry fee', essentially a donation to support the contest and contribute towards the prize fund. I'm curious, how much do you think this should this be (i.e. would you be willing to pay)? $2? $5? $10? more/less? It will be completely optional, so it doesn't really matter, but I want to get an idea what people think is realistic to ask for.

EmperorDinobot

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 05, 2023, 05:27:58 PMThis year I'm not having a sponsor because I want to run the contest autonomously to minimise workload. The back and forth with sponsors is often what takes the most energy.

Instead, I will provide prizes myself. I'm planning for an optional nominal 'entry fee', essentially a donation to support the contest and contribute towards the prize fund. I'm curious, how much do you think this should this be (i.e. would you be willing to pay)? $2? $5? $10? more/less? It will be completely optional, so it doesn't really matter, but I want to get an idea what people think is realistic to ask for.
If it's optional then people should just pay what they like
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

DinoToyForum

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 05, 2023, 07:01:03 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 05, 2023, 05:27:58 PMThis year I'm not having a sponsor because I want to run the contest autonomously to minimise workload. The back and forth with sponsors is often what takes the most energy.

If it's optional then people should just pay what they like

People can always donate a different amount if they wish. But there should still be a specific suggested amount to make things as simple and clear as possible.

DinoToyForum

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

DinoToyForum

Kapitaenosavrvs

Oh, interesting news. This is really motivating. To have a goal. An Entryfee should be okay. 5 Dollars is okay i would say. If it helps to fund a possible Price or even just additional expenses. If i would participate, i would clearly have to use more than 5 Dollars for Materials and so on. Of course this depends. Photos may be cheaper. So 5 Dollas should work to me.

I think it should be important, that it is not unfair to people from countrys with really weak currencies. I just know that from Videosgames and Countrys like Brazil often have to pay a LOT more for e.g. a Game that costs a US citizen "just" 30 Dollars or 25 Euros in Europe. Just a thought, because i would love to see a lot of different approaches from all over the world. And sometimes there are a lot of younger Poeple, that would love to participate but do not have the Money. But of course this gets specific at some point and it gets unrealistic in general then. Just a few nightly thoughts after 4 Hours on the Autobahn. Thank you very much for the rebirth of this Contest.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on January 06, 2023, 12:48:40 AMOh, interesting news. This is really motivating. To have a goal. An Entryfee should be okay. 5 Dollars is okay i would say. If it helps to fund a possible Price or even just additional expenses. If i would participate, i would clearly have to use more than 5 Dollars for Materials and so on. Of course this depends. Photos may be cheaper. So 5 Dollas should work to me.

I think it should be important, that it is not unfair to people from countrys with really weak currencies. I just know that from Videosgames and Countrys like Brazil often have to pay a LOT more for e.g. a Game that costs a US citizen "just" 30 Dollars or 25 Euros in Europe. Just a thought, because i would love to see a lot of different approaches from all over the world. And sometimes there are a lot of younger Poeple, that would love to participate but do not have the Money. But of course this gets specific at some point and it gets unrealistic in general then. Just a few nightly thoughts after 4 Hours on the Autobahn. Thank you very much for the rebirth of this Contest.

Thanks for your thoughts. $5 seems to be agreeable.

Yeah, I don't want to exclude anyone from participating in the contest. We're in the midst of a cost of living crisis (here in the UK, at least), and not everyone will be able or want to pay an entry fee, for a wide variety of reasons. I'd rather those people submit a diorama for free than be put off by a mandatory entry fee. This is why I'm making the 'entry fee' completely optional. It will mean I'm relying on the good will of the entrants but I'm comfortable with that. Even if nobody donates I'll still go ahead with the contest, with prizes entirely from my own pocket. O:-)

Also, I realised that because my Paypal account is in GBP I think the donation will also be in GBP. So, the suggested donation may end up being £5, which = about $6. In which case, I may make it £4 (about $4.80).

Pachyrhinosaurus

If that's what it takes to see the tradition return, I'm for it. As a longtime regular, I would feel more obligated to pay the fee, but I'm perfectly fine with that. $5 would be alright with me.

I have some figures I sat aside a while ago for the next contest and a location in mind. Once the foliage starts growing back I'll be sure to get out and see what I can come up with.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 06, 2023, 01:21:27 AMIf that's what it takes to see the tradition return, I'm for it. As a longtime regular, I would feel more obligated to pay the fee, but I'm perfectly fine with that. $5 would be alright with me.

I have some figures I sat aside a while ago for the next contest and a location in mind. Once the foliage starts growing back I'll be sure to get out and see what I can come up with.

Thanks. I'm thinking of setting the deadline a bit later in the year than usual, around September/October, to allow entrants to make the most of the summer and early autumn weather.

Newt

Exciting news! The $5 range seems entirely reasonable to me. A suggestion: could you allow non-participants to donate as well? I've never submitted a diorama but I enjoy seeing other people's entries and would be happy to chip in a few bucks. Perhaps other spectators feel the same.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 06, 2023, 10:26:27 AM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 06, 2023, 01:21:27 AMIf that's what it takes to see the tradition return, I'm for it. As a longtime regular, I would feel more obligated to pay the fee, but I'm perfectly fine with that. $5 would be alright with me.

Thanks. I'm thinking of setting the deadline a bit later in the year than usual, around September/October, to allow entrants to make the most of the summer and early autumn weather.

Oh! Weather is a good Idea. At the Moment, it is almost impossible to get good Photos in good Sunlight where i live.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Newt on January 06, 2023, 12:03:11 PMExciting news! The $5 range seems entirely reasonable to me. A suggestion: could you allow non-participants to donate as well? I've never submitted a diorama but I enjoy seeing other people's entries and would be happy to chip in a few bucks. Perhaps other spectators feel the same.

Sure, non-participants will be able and welcome to donate if they want to support the contest! The donation process will be separate from the contest entry process, through a PayPal link, so anybody will be able to click that. However, this would be extremely generous and I really wouldn't expect it of anyone, so I won't ask for such donations!

Halichoeres

I would happily chuck $5 in the pot.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

I've posted the 2023 contest announcement on the blog and forum. I decided to make the suggested donation £4, which is about $5.

I wasn't sure about the prize amounts, so depending on how many people donate an 'entry fee' I may decide to bump up the prizes.

Federreptil

It`s always a discussion about the need of a prize for the contest. And always it is no pull for mine motivation to be part of the contest. For me a "just for the honour" award would be also fine. Because my amount of doing a diorama is every time much higher as any prize. And this is all right because it is my own decision. I know there will be always much cheaper ways to participate.
So I hope the donation will work. But for me it should be an organisation fee and not a financing instrument for the prize amounts.

Federreptil

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum please excuse my forcing, but how well works the donation?
If there are 33 entries, I hope the donation quote is nearly equal. You have promised prizes for the contest in a total amount of totally 100 £. So I hope the donation fees have filled the gap. It would be a pity if you have carry the burden of prizing alone after doing the whole contest. If there is a gap, please tell us and we will start a further donation round.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Federreptil on October 03, 2023, 01:15:26 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum please excuse my forcing, but how well works the donation?
If there are 33 entries, I hope the donation quote is nearly equal. You have promised prizes for the contest in a total amount of totally 100 £. So I hope the donation fees have filled the gap. It would be a pity if you have carry the burden of prizing alone after doing the whole contest. If there is a gap, please tell us and we will start a further donation round.

I am happy to share these details. There were 34 entries in the end (including my own). As things stand, of those 34, 13 have donated the optional £4 'entry fee', while 21 have not. So, 38% of participants have donated. I've already voiced my gratitude by email to everyone who donated to support the contest, but it bears repeating: thank you all so much!

The entry donations totalled £52. However, after Paypal fees, which vary based on country and currency but are generally equivalent to about 12.5%, the total amount of money in the pot comes to about £45.5.

I also received some additional donations. One participant very generously donated two additional times (accidentally, but insisted I did not refund it), and I also received a donation from someone who didn't enter the contest (I've emailed that person to check). So, taking these extra donations into account bumps up the donation tally to £65, or £56 after fees.

If every participant had been able to donate there would be £136 (£119 after fees) in the pot, although I never expected everyone to donate.

I'm still accepting donations from participants who haven't donated yet. Indeed, some participants said they would donate but haven't yet. But I really don't want anyone who has already donated to donate again, so please don't start another donation round. I will make up the shortfall from my own pocket – I'm the organiser and I knew this was a possibility when I decided the prizes.

DinoToyForum

I have edited the numbers in the above post to reflect another donation. And, I insist, please don't donate again if you already donated, I am automatically refunding anyone who does.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: