News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2023 Wishlist

Started by profnik, August 30, 2022, 03:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

For some time now I thought I was only interested in collecting BotM figures, but the PNSO Suchomimus has changed that and revitalised my interest in figures from other companies too.  So, here is what I'd like from Safari:

1. Rhamphorhynchus.  This is my most wanted species.  It's my favourite pterosaur and second-favourite animal after Velociraptor.  It's sad that there isn't an accurate version of it available considering how interesting, unique and iconic it is.  Plus it was named almost 200 years ago!  Please Safari, make a new Rhamphorhynchus!

2. Herrerasaurus.  It's such a cool animal and important in our understanding of early dinosaur evolution.

3. Plateosaurus.  I don't understand why bipedal sauropodomorphs are so neglected.  Plateosaurus is an interesting animal which had strong hands with large claws and is very well-known.  It would make a great addition to Safari's Triassic species and prehistoric range in general which doesn't have anything like it.  I hope we don't get another sauropod from Safari before a Plateosaurus.

4. Saurornithoides.  There isn't any great troodontid figure.  Saurornithoides is the first troodontid specimen to have been found and its skull and feet are well understood and help shape this animal's appearance.  It also lived alongside Velociraptor and Citipati, two species in Safari's prehistoric range.

5. Eoraptor.  It has never been made into a figure for some reason.  It would make a great companion to Herrerasaurus since these two dinosaurs coexisted.

6. Chasmosaurus belli.  It's been a long time now since Safari made a new ceratopsian.  Chasmosaurus is one of the best-known ceratopsians and one with an interesting appearance.  And yet it lacks a good figure with the exception of the BotM version which is an action figure.  Chasmosaurus belli is one of my two favourite ceratopsians too (the other is Styracosaurus).

7. Styxosaurus snowii.  An elasmosaurid that's well-known from fossils yet has no figure.  For some reason companies tend to not give much attention to long-necked plesiosaurs.  Only CollectA has.  As a result there isn't any figure of a long-necked plesiosaur with realistic smooth skin.  It's frustrating.  It would be so nice if Safari made a plesiosaur like that, their last one, Elasmosaurus, is from 2013, quite a long time ago.

8. Utahceratops.  This could make a nice figure, the only versions currently existing are the big-eyed CollectA and the BotM which is an action figure and I don't like its colouration.

9. Anchiceratops.  This one doesn't have any good figure version even despite its interesting frill and large horns.  I guess it looks similar to Triceratops, Torosaurus and Pentaceratops, but when its likely proportions in the postcrania following NMC 8547 are incorporated it ends up looking quite unique.

10. Pterosaur toob.  I'm surprised the big companies haven't made a set of mini pterosaurs, it seems like it would be a popular product.  If Safari made this I'd be very happy if it contained two of the following: Rhamphorhynchus, Scaphognathus, Eudimorphodon, Dorygnathus.

Lynx

100% agree with a pterosaur toob, could offer a very nice bundle of figures and wouldn't even mind reusing old sculpts for it, despite being inaccurate now.
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

People have been requesting a pterosaur Toob since I started in this hobby, but also Safari has not released a new prehistoric-themed Toob since I started in this hobby. The last one was Cambrian Life in 2013. BUT a pterosaur Toob seems like one of those obvious leaving-money-on-the-table things. I would be particularly happy if they were mostly smaller taxa that would work well with existing Safari figures in a diorama.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 10, 2022, 06:46:06 AMPeople have been requesting a pterosaur Toob since I started in this hobby, but also Safari has not released a new prehistoric-themed Toob since I started in this hobby. The last one was Cambrian Life in 2013. BUT a pterosaur Toob seems like one of those obvious leaving-money-on-the-table things. I would be particularly happy if they were mostly smaller taxa that would work well with existing Safari figures in a diorama.
I'd second that. The lack of 1/30-1/40 scale pterosaurs is the biggest shortcoming in my dioramas, so I'd eagerly await the appearance of a Toob, especially of the smaller taxa.

SidB

For instance, this quick shot of the old library dioramas shows Papo, Vitae and PNSO pterosaurs, but that's it. I'd love to access more that are even roughly to scale.

SenSx

1) Herrerasaurus

2) Maip Macrothorax

3) Gigantoraptor

4) Arthropleura

5) Eurypterid

(My wish list is becoming thinner and thinner with all those good recent releases of rare species :)    )

SpartanSquat

SidB

suspsy

And here I am still waiting for the 2022 toys to become available.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: suspsy on January 06, 2023, 03:24:45 AMAnd here I am still waiting for the 2022 toys to become available.

Same. www.spielzeug-guenstig.de has the Safari 2022 Figures at around 03/23 and 06/23 Dates to release. (Same goes for Papo and CollectAs 23 Batch). But no idea how correct they are.

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on January 06, 2023, 03:24:45 AMAnd here I am still waiting for the 2022 toys to become available.

They've all been released, except for the Okapi which is expected before the end of this month.

If you're waiting for a specific retailer to carry them, that's another story, but they're definitely available.

And yes, there will be some new figure news soon, and I hope it's news that this forum will be excited about.

suspsy

Perfectly aware that they've been released, S @Shane, but when you live in Canada, your buying options are more limited. Shipping from the US is so high that it effectively nullifies that option and there's only one online Canadian chain I know of that stocks Safari Ltd., and they still don't yet have the 2022 items in stock. Nor does Everything Dinosaur.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on January 06, 2023, 01:45:45 PMPerfectly aware that they've been released, S @Shane, but when you live in Canada, your buying options are more limited. Shipping from the US is so high that it effectively nullifies that option and there's only one online Canadian chain I now of that stocks Safari Ltd., and they still don't yet have the 2022 items in stock. Nor does Everything Dinosaur.

Ah okay, understood. When you just said "available" I took it to mean on a general level.

Unfortunately it is quite cost prohibitive to ship items to Canada on a retail level. Safari has tried to look at solutions to bring costs down but right now options are limited, unfortunately. Hopefully you'll be able to get them in Canada soon.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Same here in the UK. The only "2022" Safari Ltd figure is the Patogotitan. Everything else is a 2023 figure. Looking forward to the Zuul in particular making its way to familiar shores.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Concavenator

Quite excited for the upcoming reveals, if they include prehistoric animals that is (because that's what I collect).

S @Shane Any dates for the new reveals?

Shane

No hard date but we should see something before the end of the month.

SidB

Quote from: Shane on January 06, 2023, 08:42:05 PMNo hard date but we should see something before the end of the month.
I can live with that. Then again, I have to, don't I!

SenSx

Quote from: Shane on January 06, 2023, 01:24:18 PM

They've all been released, except for the Okapi which is expected before the end of this month.

If you're waiting for a specific retailer to carry them, that's another story, but they're definitely available.

And yes, there will be some new figure news soon, and I hope it's news that this forum will be excited about.

Same story in Europe, we are still waiting for the 2022 Safari figures to arrive.
And there definitely are retailers for that here.
Everything Dinosaur, Modellpferdeversand, www.spielzeug-guenstig.de, even Amazon...
They all got the Patagotitan (but way later than US).

Probably the shipping that takes so long, but I've never seen that before.

Halichoeres

That is an unusually long time, but I suppose they used to release year n figures in the US in like November of year n-1. That would give plenty of slack for other countries to get them in year n.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

In addition to what I've previously expressed wanting, I hope Safari will release a new featherless Tyrannosaurus rex in 2023.  I'm aware of Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus, but I don't much like it from what I've seen.  Also Eofauna's could represent Tyrannosaurus imperator, and I hope Safari would base theirs on Scotty which would remain T. rex even if there is more than one species of Tyrannosaurus.  Scotty is also the largest Tyrannosaurus known and an individual not yet represented as a figure as far as I know.

As for why I'd like a Tyrannosaurus, I have a Triceratops (PNSO 2021), Stegosaurus (Safari 2019), Allosaurus (Safari 2019), Velociraptor (Safari 2017), Diplodocus (Safari 2017), but no Tyrannosaurus and I think it would be good to have one to complete the most iconic dinosaur set.  If we expand the most iconic dinosaur set, I have an Ankylosaurus (PNSO 2019), but I don't need a Spinosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus or Giraffatitan.  I would like a Parasaurolophus though, but seeing as Safari already has a good one this isn't the right thread for it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: