News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2023 hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, January 01, 2023, 07:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin that's almost enough to make me want to join Instagram...almost. I haven't seen those individual artworks, but that's quite a list!

Normally I'm not particular about who makes what species as long as interesting stuff gets made, but I like PNSO for aquatics in particular because they include stands.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

3 things that I would love:

- a big scaled Sauropod (I won't be picky, I will take anything at this point if it hasn't been done before) - if it's more than one even better  :)
- Ouranosaurus and/ or Maiasaura (!)
- a Stegosaurid

other than that I'm just excited to be surprised by them

SidB

I was looking over my PNSO ceratopsians last night and was once again reminded how good they are. I know that we have a good representative sampling, but I sure would like some more. Now that Safari seems to stopped having Doug Watson make them, I'd like to see PNSO pick up the baton again. Chasmosaurus is at the top of my list.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on January 07, 2023, 11:46:39 PMI was looking over my PNSO ceratopsians last night and was once again reminded how good they are. I know that we have a good representative sampling, but I sure would like some more. Now that Safari seems to stopped having Doug Watson make them, I'd like to see PNSO pick up the baton again. Chasmosaurus is at the top of my list.

Same here. Been holding out for a PNSO Chasmosaurus given how well done the Styracosaurus and Centrosaurus were.

Been debating getting the BotM version since I don't have Chasmosaurus in my collection, so certainly would welcome a static, cheaper and more naturally painted figure of this infamous chasmosaurine!

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 08, 2023, 12:08:59 AM
Quote from: SidB on January 07, 2023, 11:46:39 PMI was looking over my PNSO ceratopsians last night and was once again reminded how good they are. I know that we have a good representative sampling, but I sure would like some more. Now that Safari seems to stopped having Doug Watson make them, I'd like to see PNSO pick up the baton again. Chasmosaurus is at the top of my list.

Same here. Been holding out for a PNSO Chasmosaurus given how well done the Styracosaurus and Centrosaurus were.

Been debating getting the BotM version since I don't have Chasmosaurus in my collection, so certainly would welcome a static, cheaper and more naturally painted figure of this infamous chasmosaurine!
I'd like to think that I'm not being naive or delusional, but I have this suspicion and hope that PNSO is actually responsive to feedback, suggestions, constructive criticism and so on, as I think that we can see in the ongoing development of their product line. If "hopes and dreams" somehow communicates itself to them and corresponds also to their objectives, I can imagine a Chasmosaurus being actualized as a PNSO figure at some point in the future. This would stand in stark contrast to Schleich and Papo, both of which seem impervious to dialogue, utterly non-responsive to constructive criticism, being seemingly not even aware of it, and stubborn to boot in persisting in their egregious errors of design , appearing at times to even flaunt these flaws. Here's hoping for great things from PNSO for 2023.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on January 08, 2023, 03:28:40 AMI'd like to think that I'm not being naive or delusional, but I have this suspicion and hope that PNSO is actually responsive to feedback, suggestions, constructive criticism and so on, as I think that we can see in the ongoing development of their product line. If "hopes and dreams" somehow communicates itself to them and corresponds also to their objectives, I can imagine a Chasmosaurus being actualized as a PNSO figure at some point in the future. This would stand in stark contrast to Schleich and Papo, both of which seem impervious to dialogue, utterly non-responsive to constructive criticism, being seemingly not even aware of it, and stubborn to boot in persisting in their egregious errors of design , appearing at times to even flaunt these flaws. Here's hoping for great things from PNSO for 2023.

I feel the same way too. PNSO seems to be rather receptive to feedback, whether it be from western or eastern customers.

We see this in them changing their pebble corn-on-the-cob style scale detail to much more intricate and accurate integument work. Though they do still make the odd choice here and there with their reconstructions or naming.

I've pretty much given up on following Schleich and Papo products precisely because of that. With their general decline in quality and worksmanship, along with their refusal to improve its hard to get invested in their products; much less to the point where I feel complied to support them.

Another ceratopsian I've been waiting forever for is Spiclypeus. Yeah there's the BotM version again... but its big, expensive, and is articulated. Not sure about that head to body ratio too (head's too big?). So hoping for PNSO's take on this incredibly unique ceratopsid.

HD-man

No new hopes & dreams, just the same ones as before:
Quote from: HD-man on November 08, 2022, 09:25:40 PMI hope PNSO publishes these series in english! They look great!

http://www.pnso.org/?p=1464

http://www.pnso.org/?p=1498
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 08, 2023, 06:33:36 AM
Quote from: SidB on January 08, 2023, 03:28:40 AMI'd like to think that I'm not being naive or delusional, but I have this suspicion and hope that PNSO is actually responsive to feedback, suggestions, constructive criticism and so on, as I think that we can see in the ongoing development of their product line. If "hopes and dreams" somehow communicates itself to them and corresponds also to their objectives, I can imagine a Chasmosaurus being actualized as a PNSO figure at some point in the future. This would stand in stark contrast to Schleich and Papo, both of which seem impervious to dialogue, utterly non-responsive to constructive criticism, being seemingly not even aware of it, and stubborn to boot in persisting in their egregious errors of design , appearing at times to even flaunt these flaws. Here's hoping for great things from PNSO for 2023.

I feel the same way too. PNSO seems to be rather receptive to feedback, whether it be from western or eastern customers.

We see this in them changing their pebble corn-on-the-cob style scale detail to much more intricate and accurate integument work. Though they do still make the odd choice here and there with their reconstructions or naming.

I've pretty much given up on following Schleich and Papo products precisely because of that. With their general decline in quality and worksmanship, along with their refusal to improve its hard to get invested in their products; much less to the point where I feel complied to support them.

Another ceratopsian I've been waiting forever for is Spiclypeus. Yeah there's the BotM version again... but its big, expensive, and is articulated. Not sure about that head to body ratio too (head's too big?). So hoping for PNSO's take on this incredibly unique ceratopsid.
Yes, Spiclypeus would be an outstanding choice as well, I concur. Interesting that you allude to the somewhat odd or eccentric design choices that they sometimes make, not to mention the issue of oral tissue, but taking one thing with another, PNSO continues to present a dynamic, hopeful picture for the collector.

Concavenator

Maybe PNSO will release a bigger Chasmosaurus at some point? They have a mini figure of it and also have some paleoart of it. Check out A @Andysdinosaurreviews ' review of the PNSO Torosaurus, minute 8:48

and this video, especially minute 6:14 where there's another illustration of it at a book cover:

I own the BotM figure and even though its colours are really flashy, it's fantastic and I'm happy with it. That said, if PNSO releases their version at some point, I'd probably trade the BotM for it, as I also prefer static (and smaller) figures.

And since we're now wishing for ceratopsids, I would love these: Anchiceratops, Kosmoceratops and Pentaceratops.

Halichoeres

I think it's very likely they'll make a Chasmosaurus at some point, they reaaaally like ceratopsians.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pliosaurking

I hope they do as I too would prefer a 1:35 ish scale static model of a chasmosaurus. That being said the Botm one is absolutely beautiful and is one of my favourites from the whole line!

Gwangi

Chasmosaurus and Pentaceratops are at the top of my ceratopsian list. PNSO can make them but I would be equally excited for Doug Watson to sculpt them for Safari as well. Been a few years since we got a Doug Watson ceratopsian, and I know we all love them.

Nyrorosaurus

A few figures I'd love to see them make:
- Kosmoceratops
- Dicraeosaurus
- Dilophosaurus
- Udanoceratops
- Guanlong
- Archelon
- Ouranosaurus
- Odobenocetops

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on January 08, 2023, 05:10:51 PM

Maybe PNSO will release a bigger Chasmosaurus at some point? They have a mini figure of it and also have some paleoart of it. Check out A @Andysdinosaurreviews ' review of the PNSO Torosaurus, minute 8:48

I own the BotM figure and even though its colours are really flashy, it's fantastic and I'm happy with it. That said, if PNSO releases their version at some point, I'd probably trade the BotM for it, as I also prefer static (and smaller) figures.

I love the BotM figures I have, but I always prioritise smaller and static figures over BotM offerings. It just makes more economic and spacial sense after all. I only ever splurge on BotM if they check most of the following conditions:
- Accurate sculpt
- Not too garish paint job
- Unique genus/species
- Best representation of said genus/species
- Non-fragmentary (with some exceptions)

If PNSO were to come out with their own Chasmosaurus (and assuming they don't do anything weird with it), it may very well beat out the BotM version on the simple fact that the BotM sculpt does not account for the skin impressions we have of the genus. Though I guess there's still the possibility that PNSO produces C. russelli instead of C. belli, which in that case I might be compelled to acquire both species. Entirely depends on whether PNSO chooses to follow their artwork, or their mini-figure.

QuoteAnd since we're now wishing for ceratopsids, I would love these: Anchiceratops, Kosmoceratops and Pentaceratops.

Would love to see PNSO diversify their ceratopsian line-up with more chasmosaurines, but Psittacosaurus remains on the top of my wish list when it comes to the horned dinosaurs. Still surprised they haven't made one considering it's such a well known, well preserved and well documented asiatic genus.

Concavenator

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I'm in a similiar situation with BotM (and eventually Cyberzoic) stuff. I have them as a "last resource" card. I'm only interested in BotM figures if they're species I'm interested in, and are either the only ones of the genera they represent or they're noticeably better than other available versions (if they're as accurate as possible). Even then, I won't go for most of them if I consider them too big (a result of 1/18 being their usual scale), unless they represent some of my absolute favorite species and I'm quite desperate for having figures of those. BotM stuff is very expensive here in Europe (and they're usually bigger than I'd like, so also the vast majority of species I'm interested in from them are smaller ones).

I would also like a PNSO Psittacosaurus! I have the BotM 1/18 on my wishlist but one from PNSO that shows the patagium, the "belly button" and the recently described cloaca would make me go for it instead. In general, the Jehol Biota is an invaluable source of very taxonomically relevant taxa with exceptional remains and they have apparently not realised it yet... Since they have shown an interest in tackling local fauna, I feel those are most of the animals they should aim for, rather than the likes of Zhuchengtyrannus and Siamosaurus. China has a fascinating fossil record with lots of exquisitely preserved creatures, so them choosing to make figures of local fragmentary animals every once in a while strikes as particularly pointless to me.

ceratopsian

In keeping with my name here, I have a large number of the BotM ceratopsians. But I would love to see more from PNSO, especially a Psittacosaurus or Protoceratops. I'm quite surprised that they haven't already released versions of these. Chasmosaurus and Spiclypeus would go down well with me too.

SenSx

I hope they make more medium size theropods, like Herrerasausus, Dilophosaurus, Megalosaurus, Maip Macrothorax (well this one is quite bigger).

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 09, 2023, 07:55:35 AMIn keeping with my name here, I have a large number of the BotM ceratopsians. But I would love to see more from PNSO, especially a Psittacosaurus or Protoceratops. I'm quite surprised that they haven't already released versions of these. Chasmosaurus and Spiclypeus would go down well with me too.

I'm surprised PNSO hasn't made Psittacosaurus too, but not Protoceratops.  They haven't even made Velociraptor yet.

ceratopsian

My really left field heart's desire - and I might be on my own here! - is a Hesperornis. I guess it's nostalgia at work. When I was a child, very few Mesozoic birds were known. I loved this one. But I can't see PNSO granting my wish on this one!  Or any other of my favourite firms. Now we have plenty of Mesozoic birds known from excellent fossils but they don't often attract much interest from model firms!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: