News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Dilong looks better than expected, but at 1/6 it's too big for me. Still not a fan of how raptor parts were reused for it when Dilong had far more primitive filamentous feathers.

Maybe I'll pick it up if a 1/18 version were to be released, but I would also happily wait for someone else to make another version of this genus.

Over9K

Blade-of-the-Moon

David posted they were hard at work fulfilling orders, and to not worry they would be shipping and sending notices out.

Shuvuuia

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on January 19, 2023, 12:21:44 AMDoes anyone know if all of the feet are supposed to have peg holes or just the standing legs?

Mine arrived and only the latter have them.

Same with mine. I assumed that was by design.

omgmarclol

mine came in.  the 1/18 big rex's right thigh has a loose joint and the mouth doesn't close flush. 

tiny bit disappointed but i'm not mad about it over all.

Pliosaurking

Got my shipping notification for the WWD 1:35 scale Trex! Hopefully it comes in soon, I can't wait!

Fembrogon

My shipping notification just came in too! I got impatient and changed my order to split shipping. hopefully wave 1.5 (or whatever it is my Guanlong is part of) will be close behind!

Blade-of-the-Moon

My two 1:18 Trex came in today via Fedex :

Blade-of-the-Moon

Really wish I had the spare armor to do this..

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on January 21, 2023, 03:36:20 AMThat's what Cyberzoic will be for!

It's very close to be sure. I just would love an official dino riders line. It's all those aspects, the coloration, the armor design, the figures that takes me back to playing with them as a kid and popping that vhs in the player every chance  I got.  I even remember taking pics of the tv with a polaroid so I could carry around pics of them lol

Fenestra

I received the 1/18 scale T-rex today and I'm a little confused how I feel about it.
This beast is beautiful. It is heavy, big and the paint job on it is immaculate. It can stand without the base without any problems, which I think is a plus.
But...articulation? You can swiffle the knees a bit and open the mouth. The rest of the body doesn't budge much. Head can't look up or down. Same for the neck. Middle section doesn't do much either. You can NOT make it look down (like eating or drinking something) or pose it like it has its head or body turned. The tiny arms have 3 points of articulation and are the only part of this figure I would call articulated. But who cares about 3cm arms?
I feel like I've bought a beautiful Sideshow statue of a Tyrannosaurus, but somebody broke it and glued it back together. And now you can see the cracks and some parts don't fit anymore so they move a little.

But I love it! It's so beautiful!
I just think it is more of a statue then a toy.
Just my opinion ofcourse. :))

Shuvuuia

Quote from: Fenestra on January 21, 2023, 02:15:36 PMI received the 1/18 scale T-rex today and I'm a little confused how I feel about it.
This beast is beautiful. It is heavy, big and the paint job on it is immaculate. It can stand without the base without any problems, which I think is a plus.
But...articulation? You can swiffle the knees a bit and open the mouth. The rest of the body doesn't budge much. Head can't look up or down. Same for the neck. Middle section doesn't do much either. You can NOT make it look down (like eating or drinking something) or pose it like it has its head or body turned. The tiny arms have 3 points of articulation and are the only part of this figure I would call articulated. But who cares about 3cm arms?
I feel like I've bought a beautiful Sideshow statue of a Tyrannosaurus, but somebody broke it and glued it back together. And now you can see the cracks and some parts don't fit anymore so they move a little.

But I love it! It's so beautiful!
I just think it is more of a statue then a toy.
Just my opinion ofcourse. :))

It's very stiff initially. My 1/35 was the same way. There's significant articulation once you loosen it up. I ran mine under warm water for a few minutes, then repeatedly bent all the joints as far as they'd go.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I haven't opened mine yet, but there are other legs for more posability there I think?  I remember the ceratopsians weren't what I would call very posabile either. But tyrannosaurs should have a bit more than that, especially after seeing David's progress pics. I use a hairdryer to loosen things up but paint might also be sticking a bit? I can see through the box that there was wet paint near the pubic region when mine was put into the packaging as its on the clear plastic quite a bit.

Fenestra

I've tried the extra legs in the box, but they are more for changing the pose of the feet. The legs will stay in the same position more or less.
I have the Torosaurus 1/18 and although it has restrictions too when it comes to articulation, I can still make it sit.
The Velociraptor 1/6 can be posed to scratch its head.
But Tyrannosaurus? It can stand up or more horizontal, but nothing dramatic like the other two BotM figures I have.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a phantastic piece and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Fenestra on January 21, 2023, 06:11:50 PMI've tried the extra legs in the box, but they are more for changing the pose of the feet. The legs will stay in the same position more or less.
I have the Torosaurus 1/18 and although it has restrictions too when it comes to articulation, I can still make it sit.
The Velociraptor 1/6 can be posed to scratch its head.
But Tyrannosaurus? It can stand up or more horizontal, but nothing dramatic like the other two BotM figures I have.

Don't get me wrong, it is still a phantastic piece and I'm very happy with my purchase.

I'll get mine out and check it soon, I hoped it could sit in a resting position, maybe be posed kicking or attacking..so I really hope it's not super limited. Otherwise it might as well be a statue.

Cretaceous Crab

Yeah, i got the 1/35 rex, and my biggest critique is the limited movement of the head; specifically, it cannot look up or down much.

Other than that, it is still a beautiful figure. Great detail, very accurate.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I wonder if this is related to that post talking about the Yutyrannus and how the head wouldn't move much and they had to pop the tab that locks the neck covering out of the head connection?  I'm not sure why there would be a tab there that would lock into the head anyway as it would restrict movement?

https://tieba.baidu.com/photo/p?kw=%E6%81%90%E9%BE%99%E6%A8%A1%E5%9E%8B&flux=1&tid=8225187011&pic_id=335b5259252dd42a4affa26e463b5bb5cbeab8f7&pn=1&fp=2&see_lz=1&post_id=146627558800

LBDINO

I got mine in on saturday love them both!!! The 1/35 is much more poseable and the wwd paint job is excellent that's the one ill have in different poses eventually.  The 1/18 is awesome to of course its much more limited then the 1/35 but I expected that I really just have it standing there and don't plan on changing it up anytime soon. It looks so imposing so accurate I love to just stare at it, Its not perfect but its also the first time anyone has tried to do something like this am sure down the road he will do a 2.0 with better articulation. Unless he makes another one in the future or some big scientific discovery happens I don't see myself buying another t rex, its basically a statue but am ok with that. Once we get the other tyrannosaurs its going to be an amazing display, those smaller figures will be much more poseable and can be put into more dynamic poses around the t rex. I would love hatching t rexes or an accessory pack for the figures to add to ours displays.

One thing I was wondering for anyone who gotten there 1/18 t rex is there supposed to be a pop once the tail goes in correctly? On mine the tail is I think all the way but sometimes if I moves it around it will come out does this happen to everyone or is it just I haven't put it in all the way.

another quick note the hood around the neck isn't even noticeable was worried when I saw the first few reviews and pics but it honestly not noticeable

andrewsaurus rex

if  the tail comes out when you move it around, it's not in all the way.  There's no popping sound but you can feel it fit in positively and it shouldn't come out by moving it.   Heat both the ball joint on the tail and the socket on the body with a blow dryer for a good minute and then try putting the tail in.  Let it cool for a few minutes and then move the tail.  It should stay in.  Some of these big tails on the BOTM figures can be tough to insert.  I had the same thing happen on my Triceratops until I finally got it in right.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: