News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyonyx

Quote from: dinofelid on January 23, 2023, 05:31:14 PMThe Mosasaurus looks great overall, but the teeth look kind of stubby and rounded to me--the mosasaur genus Globidens had teeth kind of like that, but the photos of skulls of Mosasaurus itself on this page seem to show teeth that are more long and blade-like, is there some justification for the CollectA proportions, like all but the ends of the teeth being covered by gums, or an individual Mosasaurus species with smaller teeth?

it's just CollectA's style: they don't tend to sculpt sharp-pointed teeth, probably for safety reasons.

ceratopsian

Given that their toys are intended principally for children, CollectA are always cautious about anything sharp edged or pointy.  Safety for play is a serious factor for them.

suspsy

Yeah, CollectA and Safari and Schleich simply can't get away with giving any of their products super sharp points. All it takes is for one child to hurt themselves while playing with their toy and then it's a potential lawsuit. Even if said lawsuit ends up getting dismissed or ruled in favour of the toy company, it's still a pile of money lost on legal fees. And negative publicity.

And plus, you know, they genuinely just don't want any children to get hurt.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on January 24, 2023, 02:18:42 PMYeah, CollectA and Safari and Schleich simply can't get away with giving any of their products super sharp points. All it takes is for one child to hurt themselves while playing with their toy and then it's a potential lawsuit. Even if said lawsuit ends up getting dismissed or ruled in favour of the toy company, it's still a pile of money lost on legal fees. And negative publicity.

And plus, you know, they genuinely just don't want any children to get hurt.
That certainly goes to show that PNSO figures really aren't for young children. Not to mention their breakability too.

Lynx

wait PNSO models are dangerous? i have Essien, Wilson, and the Pinacosaurus and haven't noted anything sharp, but those figures are older, so maybe something changed
An oversized house cat.

dinofelid

Quote from: Mattyonyx on January 24, 2023, 12:12:14 PM
Quote from: dinofelid on January 23, 2023, 05:31:14 PMThe Mosasaurus looks great overall, but the teeth look kind of stubby and rounded to me--the mosasaur genus Globidens had teeth kind of like that, but the photos of skulls of Mosasaurus itself on this page seem to show teeth that are more long and blade-like, is there some justification for the CollectA proportions, like all but the ends of the teeth being covered by gums, or an individual Mosasaurus species with smaller teeth?

it's just CollectA's style: they don't tend to sculpt sharp-pointed teeth, probably for safety reasons.
I wasn't talking about the sharpness of the very tips, which would be barely visible, but about the overall visual shape of the teeth. The teeth on the Koolasuchus convey a spiky look even if you can feel with your fingers that the tips are not actually sharp, the Mosasaurus teeth look more round overall, at least in the pictures I've seen.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I think the last time we've gotten any representatives from those groups were the CollectA Hypsilophodon family, and the WWD movie Parksosaurus, which both released like a decade ago. Maybe the Mattel Callovosaurus too, but the sculpt is more of an iguanodontid.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Paleo Flo

Would love an updatet Hypsilophodon
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Duna

I would love a comparison of the older Collecta mosasaurus and the new one. The older one is a very good figure, but I may like the moveable jaw. Or not, I need to decide...

suspsy

I don't have a photo handy, but I assure you that the new Mosasaurus is superior to the old one in almost every way. Waaaaay bigger, more accurate, superior sculpting, plus the hinged jaw. The only thing the old version has going for it is a cooler and more elaborate colour scheme.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

dinofelid

Quote from: Faelrin on January 24, 2023, 04:15:16 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I think the last time we've gotten any representatives from those groups were the CollectA Hypsilophodon family, and the WWD movie Parksosaurus, which both released like a decade ago. Maybe the Mattel Callovosaurus too, but the sculpt is more of an iguanodontid.
I'd also love it if CollectA did a new Camptosaurus to replace the outdated quadrupedal one from 2010--there are so few Jurassic ornithopod figures out there! A new Dryosaurus would be great too, but I don't know if CollectA does smaller figures like their Struthiomimus anymore so even if they did one it might not be in the 1:35-1:40 range that I prefer.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Duna on January 25, 2023, 05:45:40 PMI would love a comparison of the older Collecta mosasaurus and the new one. The older one is a very good figure, but I may like the moveable jaw. Or not, I need to decide...

I sold my old one when I got the PNSO model. It really didn't have much going for it.

dragon53

Duna

But why the shastasaurus is SO SMALL?? I don't much mind if there is a difference in size between the figures of edmontosaurus and parasaurolophus, for example ...

... but why make the stegouros and protoceratops, one of the smallest, the size of the triceratops or even larger??!!

... and why make one of the hugest marine reptiles that SMALL??? At this path, they will make a shonisaurus the size of the ammonites ...

SenSx

Quote from: Duna on January 30, 2023, 04:27:33 PMBut why the shastasaurus is SO SMALL?? I don't much mind if there is a difference in size between the figures of edmontosaurus and parasaurolophus, for example ...

... but why make the stegouros and protoceratops, one of the smallest, the size of the triceratops or even larger??!!

... and why make one of the hugest marine reptiles that SMALL??? At this path, they will make a shonisaurus the size of the ammonites ...

Yes I'm disappointed too, they don't have to make it 1/35 if it makes it way too big, but at least make it bigger than... what he is supposed to be bigger...

Halichoeres

The Shastasaurus is about 1:25 based on the type species. The enormous specimens that have been referred to the genus almost certainly belong in another genus, so while Shastasaurus was a large animal, it wasn't a humongous record-setter.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Duna on January 30, 2023, 04:27:33 PMBut why the shastasaurus is SO SMALL?? I don't much mind if there is a difference in size between the figures of edmontosaurus and parasaurolophus, for example ...

I guess, because they have a range of normal line Figures and Deluxe. And their new Mosasaurus is quite a chonker. And A Mosasaurus is way more popular, than Shastasaurus. I would love a bigger Shastasaurus, but i think it is more a Moneything.

Also, i like the smaller price, too.

Prehistory Resurrection

Eatmycar

That Shastasaurus looks fabulous! I'm a sucker for the Orca colors though. You could put them on a figure of a Budgie and I'd want to buy it.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: SenSx on January 30, 2023, 04:47:23 PM

Yes I'm disappointed too, they don't have to make it 1/35 if it makes it way too big, but at least make it bigger than... what he is supposed to be bigger...

It actually DOES fit in that scale if it represents the type species S. pacificus, which is smaller than other species, which may or may not actually belong to Shastasaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: