News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420, the new PNSO Giganotosaurus's head looks fine in proportion to its body.  Eofauna's version was incorrect right from the start since they made some bones smaller in proportion to the rest of the animal.

Quote from: dragon53 on February 09, 2023, 02:14:36 PM"As excellently crafted the dinosaurs of PNSO are, they seem to be following the steps of safari of making every single dinosaur in yellow-ish tones (with some grey on top) :(

A little bit of color variation, please!"

Bingo!

I posted about PNSO's plain vanilla paint scheme on the Acrocathosaurus on a Youtube video review in which I stated I preferred the color scheme and stance from the leaflet included with the figure---and got some flack for my suggestion.
I don't get this complaining about PNSO's colour schemes.  They did do some similar ones in the past, but now not so much.  They aren't like Safari with its love of yellow.  And PNSO's Acrocanthosaurus does not have a "plain vanilla" colour scheme.  It looks different to every other prehistoric animal figure and is strikingly patterned.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I own all the Invictas so color isn't a big issue really...lol

I'm more annoyed by these presentation sets they insist on doing. If I were suing these in a museum or classroom then I can see it, but that should be an option, not a forced measure.

Eatmycar

I mean there's hardly any color scheme whatsoever with most of them. It's the same drab layer cake of boring colors. They're very conservative for the most part.

On the other hand, when they try something unique, they certainly manage to pull it off. Their Lambeosaurus was absolutely stunning. Carnotaurus was pleasant to look at albeit a bit too warty.

Honestly my favorite PNSO figures are the ones that they think outside of the box for. Audrey was a bold figure (blah blah anatomy not perfect - that can be fixed next time) for what it was. A resting T. rex. But those figures feel so rare. The rest of these figures mostly look the same, especially regarding the theropods.

In between every brown or gray mid-stride theropod (that can't stand independently after a week or so) there is an occasional gem (Deinocheirus, the resting T. rex, Lamebosaurus, Liopleurodon, Olorotitan).

The sculpting is great, but the paint, yeesh. Not for the prices they charge.

Just look at this Parasaurolophus repaint that Raul Pedroche (gex_prodche) did on Wyatt:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci_-GP7qx5y/

That's mostly a very conservative color palette and it's based on the Isle's Parasaurolophus, but these are the colors PNSO usually uses. Browns and tans. Why can't they do a pattern that's half as exciting as this?

I'm also going to bring up his redeco of the Centrosaurus based on the poster art:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfvUiHPKn5U/

Sim

You can say that and I can say you're mostly exaggerating and simply don't share the same taste as everyone.  Some people don't like PNSO's colour schemes and that's fine.  Others do and that's fine too.  Objectively, there's nothing wrong with PNSO's colour schemes.

ceratopsian

Well put, avatar_Sim @Sim.  It's a matter of personal taste.  E @Eatmycar - all my PNSO theropods still stand with no trouble (bar my original Wilson, purchased back in 2017, that needs a smidgeon of BluTack under one foot).

Fembrogon

Considering this color scheme seems consistent with the original Lucas, I don't want to complain - if anything, these colors were done BEFORE it became redundant.

I do want more angles from the back end, though. I don't like how short the tail looks.

suspsy

I really hope 2023 is the year that :P  PNSO finally starts tackling dromaeosaurs, megaraptorans, and more Cenozoic beasts.

Although if their prices remain the same, or go up even higher, I most likely won't be buying any of them. :P
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

I'm not worried about the tail length, I expect it will be like the Acrocanthosaurus where the tail was fine and it was just the angle making it look shorter.

I too would like dromaeosaurids from PNSO.  And even more than that I would like a long-necked plesiosauroid or two from PNSO!

Fembrogon

Honestly the Acro's tail continues looking short to me to this day, even with all the pics shared here and in the official Blog review.

Dromaeosaurs or more marine reptiles would most certainly be welcome!

Sim

I have the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus and its tail is longer than it appears in photos I've seen of it.  It's a big figure too, so I think PNSO didn't make any of it smaller to save on plastic.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Eatmycar on February 09, 2023, 04:29:05 PMI mean there's hardly any color scheme whatsoever with most of them. It's the same drab layer cake of boring colors. They're very conservative for the most part.

On the other hand, when they try something unique, they certainly manage to pull it off. Their Lambeosaurus was absolutely stunning. Carnotaurus was pleasant to look at albeit a bit too warty.

Honestly my favorite PNSO figures are the ones that they think outside of the box for. Audrey was a bold figure (blah blah anatomy not perfect - that can be fixed next time) for what it was. A resting T. rex. But those figures feel so rare. The rest of these figures mostly look the same, especially regarding the theropods.

In between every brown or gray mid-stride theropod (that can't stand independently after a week or so) there is an occasional gem (Deinocheirus, the resting T. rex, Lamebosaurus, Liopleurodon, Olorotitan).

The sculpting is great, but the paint, yeesh. Not for the prices they charge.

Just look at this Parasaurolophus repaint that Raul Pedroche (gex_prodche) did on Wyatt:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ci_-GP7qx5y/

That's mostly a very conservative color palette and it's based on the Isle's Parasaurolophus, but these are the colors PNSO usually uses. Browns and tans. Why can't they do a pattern that's half as exciting as this?

I'm also going to bring up his redeco of the Centrosaurus based on the poster art:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfvUiHPKn5U/

As far as i understood it, PNSO Figures are quite cheap for the People in China Mainland (Is that the correct way to say?). They are not cheap for People living outside of China Mainland. Consider this.

PNSO can charge whatever they want.  Like it or not. Want that Model? You need to pay for it. Too much Money? Yes. Way too much for my taste. But thats how it is.

Its not that we have a right to get these with perfectly done custom Paintapps for a price we consider high. Your high might me another ones not so high and around and around. EoFauna Giga cost 40-50+ Dollareros in the US and i payed around 23 Euros. And that was a normal price for Germany. It's still the same Figure.

Edit: I have the Lambeosaurus and honestly i consider the Paintapp the weakest part of the Figure. You see. Everyone has a different approach on what is good or not so good. To me, the whiteish stipes look printed like on a cheap toy. Not really realistic looking. And yes, i am exaggerating a bit here.

TheCambrianCrusader

It looks really good maybe even the best giga on the market, but honestly something I'm not toooo interested in getting especially since it'll be cheaper.
Been pretty satisfied with the carnegie and haven't really felt the need to get a new one.
Small question tho, the skull doesn't look too different from the old carnegie and other models to me so like whats exactly changed? The only major difference I can notice is the shape of the jugal, is there anything else?

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 10, 2023, 01:54:25 AMIt looks really good maybe even the best giga on the market, but honestly something I'm not toooo interested in getting especially since it'll be cheaper.
Been pretty satisfied with the carnegie and haven't really felt the need to get a new one.
Small question tho, the skull doesn't look too different from the old carnegie and other models to me so like whats exactly changed? The only major difference I can notice is the shape of the jugal, is there anything else?
I mean more expensive lol

GiganotosaurusFan

I'm late to the party, but FUCK YEAH!!! PNSO MADE A GIGANOTOSAURUS!
GOD HAS ANSWERED MY PRAYERS! IT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN WISHING FOR SINCE 2022 and holy smokes is it tooting beautiful!!!!
(maybe I need to chill out but who cares?)
Any Giganotosauruses are friends. Any other carnivores are...I think I'll run now.

Fembrogon

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 10, 2023, 01:54:25 AMSmall question tho, the skull doesn't look too different from the old carnegie and other models to me so like whats exactly changed? The only major difference I can notice is the shape of the jugal, is there anything else?
The jugal is the biggest difference, but the frontal section of the snout is a little blunter and more rounded in shape too. The "snarl" just in front of the jugal is drastically reduced as well.

Comparison:

Spoiler
1997 reconstruction (by Robert Walters?):

https://64.media.tumblr.com/fcac0c7c967d73d0ff0ab721b4631c3f/tumblr_nic9qzMPcB1tp9utuo1_1280.jpg

2022 reconstruction (by Dan Folkes - Giga on top, Meraxes bottom)

https://twitter.com/DanPalaeon1/status/1545538459456126978
[close]

The 2018 Safari figure (and the Eofauna, and the old Lucas) lean closer to the former; PNSO's Lucas 2.0 (and the 2021 Favorite, for the record) appear closer to the latter.

Antey

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 10, 2023, 05:05:20 AM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 10, 2023, 01:54:25 AMSmall question tho, the skull doesn't look too different from the old carnegie and other models to me so like whats exactly changed? The only major difference I can notice is the shape of the jugal, is there anything else?
The jugal is the biggest difference, but the frontal section of the snout is a little blunter and more rounded in shape too. The "snarl" just in front of the jugal is drastically reduced as well.

Comparison:

Spoiler
1997 reconstruction (by Robert Walters?):

2022 reconstruction (by Dan Folkes - Giga on top, Meraxes bottom)

[close]

The 2018 Safari figure (and the Eofauna, and the old Lucas) lean closer to the former; PNSO's Lucas 2.0 (and the 2021 Favorite, for the record) appear closer to the latter.
Strange, but under the spoiler there is only an image of the skull of a giganotosaurus. And nothing more. No Meraxes or giga from other manufacturers.

Fembrogon

That's odd; is the image not loading? I'll add the links in. There should be two skeletal skull illustrations visible.

ceratopsian

The two skeletals are showing for me.

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 10, 2023, 01:49:17 PMThat's odd; is the image not loading? I'll add the links in. There should be two skeletal skull illustrations visible.

Kei

Looks like some folks over in China have already got their hands on it  :D color me surprised the paint job looks good

Sim

Another thing that's changed in the reconstruction of Giganotosaurus's skull is the back of the skull isn't hideously stretched out anymore but instead in line with other carcharodontosaurids.

That Dan Folkes skeletal actually doesn't show all the known parts of Giganotosaurus's skull, as can be seen when comparing it to the image below where brown is known parts and white are unknown:

(Image source)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: