News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eatmycar

Quote from: Kei on March 04, 2023, 11:49:01 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 04, 2023, 05:02:06 AMJust received the Giga from Lanatimeshop today, took about 10 days after shipping.  They also put the Meraxes up for order yesterday.

That looks really good - PNSO has up their game greatly in terms of well-painted teeth  :D

For real, I feel some of the older teeth can look, ah, rough to put it nicely. These look gorgeous.

SRF

Quote from: SidB on March 04, 2023, 06:48:54 PMI definitely prefer lips, but remain unconvinced that arguments on either side are definitive, so I remain open to either interpretation, though, if there's a choice, I'll take the lipped version.

I fully agree on this. Also, PNSO is in the lipless camp and at least they explain why they are convinced that theropods didn't have lips. I don't agree with them on that, but I do understand that as long as the evidence for lips isn't conclusive, they won't change their approach with their models.
But today, I'm just being father

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on March 04, 2023, 07:53:37 PM
Quote from: SidB on March 04, 2023, 06:48:54 PMI definitely prefer lips, but remain unconvinced that arguments on either side are definitive, so I remain open to either interpretation, though, if there's a choice, I'll take the lipped version.

I fully agree on this. Also, PNSO is in the lipless camp and at least they explain why they are convinced that theropods didn't have lips. I don't agree with them on that, but I do understand that as long as the evidence for lips isn't conclusive, they won't change their approach with their models.

Do we have any idea how Rebor did with tusk and kiss in terms of sales?  Did kiss sell more than tusk?  Or was it the other way around?  I thought if Rebor's sales of kiss did well that if might convince PNSO to dabble with multiple versions of the same sculp or at least have a premium/museum version that allowed you to exchange the heads that you want to display it with. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I generally prefer the way lipless theropods look a bit more aggressive and menacing, I still think it's a mistake to put all your eggs in one basket.  PNSO should release some of their better sculpts like Zhuchengtyrannus with lips too.  If for no other reason than there are so many people in the lipped camp and I think recognizing that fact would be good for sales.

I can't tell you how many times I've read people post that if it comes with no lips that they are not going to buy it.  If I was producing these toys I would come up with a reasonable solution by either releasing two versions or one version with two heads.

And this goes for the movable jaws too, it sure would be nice if versions of these animals came out with preset poses with either open or closed mouths but also without the unsightly seams in the neck and head areas.

Lynx

I'll never understand not buying a product because it doesn't have lips, it just feels unreasonable to pass up perfectly fine models because of something as tiny as that.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on March 04, 2023, 09:22:34 PMI'll never understand not buying a product because it doesn't have lips, it just feels unreasonable to pass up perfectly fine models because of something as tiny as that.

What you consider minor may very well be the opposite for a different collector. Everyone has their own preferences & priorities.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Lynx on March 04, 2023, 09:22:34 PMI'll never understand not buying a product because it doesn't have lips, it just feels unreasonable to pass up perfectly fine models because of something as tiny as that.
It depends on how the lips are missing. If the mouth-line is still relatively smooth, then fine. But i'm not buying an 'accurate' dinosaur with a croc-mouth. Looking at you, Wilson.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 04, 2023, 09:17:21 PM
Quote from: SRF on March 04, 2023, 07:53:37 PM

Do we have any idea how Rebor did with tusk and kiss in terms of sales?  Did kiss sell more than tusk?  Or was it the other way around?  I thought if Rebor's sales of kiss did well that if might convince PNSO to dabble with multiple versions of the same sculp or at least have a premium/museum version that allowed you to exchange the heads that you want to display it with. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I generally prefer the way lipless theropods look a bit more aggressive and menacing, I still think it's a mistake to put all your eggs in one basket.  PNSO should release some of their better sculpts like Zhuchengtyrannus with lips too.  If for no other reason than there are so many people in the lipped camp and I think recognizing that fact would be good for sales.

I can't tell you how many times I've read people post that if it comes with no lips that they are not going to buy it.  If I was producing these toys I would come up with a reasonable solution by either releasing two versions or one version with two heads.

And this goes for the movable jaws too, it sure would be nice if versions of these animals came out with preset poses with either open or closed mouths but also without the unsightly seams in the neck and head areas.

Kiss is sold out completely while Tusk is still available, so Kiss definitely did better in that regard. However, REBOR explained in the Kiss & Tusk topic on this forum that they just wanted to make two models called Kiss and Tusk. Therefore they created a lipped and lipless variant of the same model. PNSO on the other hand doesn't believe that theropods had lips to begin with, so they won't bother creating them.

Also as a company PNSO has a completely different business model, releasing a high amount of figures in quite a short time. The Meraxes is a good example of that. REBOR on the other hand takes a lot more time to create their figures before the go to market, most of the time with two color variations of (largely) the same sculpt. They are completely different companies with different approaches.
But today, I'm just being father

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 25, 2023, 07:43:13 PMIs it just me or has news regarding dinosaur collecting been very slow for a while
I've been feeling this way, I think.  I am a little disappointed by PNSO and Haolonggood as after a long wait since their previous release PNSO made a figure that looks almost identical to their prevous release while Haolonggood made a species that already has very good representation.  I'm hoping Safari's reveal will grab my interest, although I was expecting it to be on Friday this week and that's passed with nothing...  Hopefully it will be soon.

Regarding more than one head for PNSO figures, I would be against that as I don't want figures where parts of them are not attached, like REBOR and their tails.  As for articulated jaws, I don't notice the seams so I'm happy with articulated jaws.

Lynx

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 04, 2023, 09:36:13 PM
It depends on how the lips are missing. If the mouth-line is still reltaively smooth, then fine. But i'm not buying an 'accurate' dinosaur with a croc-mouth. Looking at you, Wilson.

I agree, if it gets to the point where it looks uncomfortable, then, welllll

Quote from: Flaffy on March 04, 2023, 09:30:07 PM

What you consider minor may very well be the opposite for a different collector. Everyone has their own preferences & priorities.

I'm well aware?
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on March 04, 2023, 10:35:33 PM

I'm well aware?

So you do understand. Then why say "I'll never understand" then?

Patrx

I'm always looking for excuses not to buy specific collectables; in the case of PNSO theropods, it's the absence of lips. I have bills to pay, you know?

Lynx

Quote from: Flaffy on March 04, 2023, 10:51:00 PM
Quote from: Lynx on March 04, 2023, 10:35:33 PM

I'm well aware?

So you do understand. Then why say "I'll never understand" then?

I don't know, I'm just tired
An oversized house cat.

Eatmycar

Quote from: Patrx on March 04, 2023, 11:06:13 PMI'm always looking for excuses not to buy specific collectables; in the case of PNSO theropods, it's the absence of lips. I have bills to pay, you know?

Ha! Damn right, frankly. Especially with Dinosaurs... they're so big.

Sometimes I wish I never got into Mattel and BoTM for size reasons and only did a sane scale like 1/35 or Kaiyodo...

Quiversaurus

Quote from: SidB on March 04, 2023, 07:32:04 PMJust ordered the Meraxes. That'll join the new Giga and the GR Carcharodontosaurus (blue version) in transit. Will be a busy end of month in my receiving department.

Please share comparison pics of these awesome boys if you can! I have neither enough budget nor space to get them unfortunately, so I will have to live vicariously through your collection (:

SidB

Quote from: quiversaurus on March 05, 2023, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: SidB on March 04, 2023, 07:32:04 PMJust ordered the Meraxes. That'll join the new Giga and the GR Carcharodontosaurus (blue version) in transit. Will be a busy end of month in my receiving department.

Please share comparison pics of these awesome boys if you can! I have neither enough budget nor space to get them unfortunately, so I will have to live vicariously through your collection (:

Glad to - they're going in the recent acquisitions thread and comparisons ones. Hope to remember!

Faras

Meraxes
Lots of images...

Common issue: some detail losses on feet and along the back, tiny hole behind articulated jaws.

New Giga for comparison:

Pleasant natural paints, hint of purple on the head (though slightly too much gloss, head somewhat shines in light), back and chest, stripes are sufficiently irregular.

Good teeth again, although Meraxes' head isn't as handsome as Giga's. Tongue is slightly too red (oops screwed colour temperature):

Both Giga and Meraxes have so far the best jaw articulation, lengths match perfectly, jaws have good friction and close, joints are tighter on the neck (quadratojugal part of the joint is partially open on Giga/Meraxe, on Acro etc it's closed and connects to the neck). Meanwhile Acro has thicker and loose joints, slightly short lower jaws that closes too much.

Carcha and Acro lack fused sole pads (quite some detail loss too) of Giga/Meraxe:

Giga's details are sharper that other three with less losses, seems museum line in general tends to have better quality mould:

Size comparison:

Overall the Meraxes figure presents unique characteristics of published individual very well (hence sufficiently different from other Carcharodontosaurs). It has brilliant paint design and more interesting pose. Quality is on par with other prehistoric line figures and lower than recent museum line figures.

------

Ahhh I really love new Giga, what an imposing, bulky beast (would be perfect figure if vertical view of the tail wasn't slightly twisted, probably caused by messed up mould). Price is nearly double of Meraxes' though...

ceratopsian

Thank you avatar_Faras @Faras. It's always good to see in hand photos and hear your thoughts.

Paleo Flo

Nice pics. And by the way...a nice way to display your collection.

I see you got the "jumping Rex"-Skeleton I am looking forward to get.

Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Sim

Thanks for the photos!

QuoteMeanwhile Acro has thicker and loose joints, slightly short lower jaws that closes too much.
My PNSO Acrocanthosaurus doesn't have loose joints.

Faelrin

avatar_Faras @Faras Thanks for the boatload of pics and sharing your thoughts. Very stoked to get these two eventually, I hope.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: