News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

I love it. I also thought the head looked strange from the first photo, but it's clear that was just perspective distortion - plus, as addressed above, Utahraptor had a pretty weird head for a dromaeosaur!
I also agree that a wash of some sort over the blue would improve the figure, but as a whole I like the coloration a lot. This has instantly become one of my most anticipated figures of the year!

Flaffy

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 08, 2023, 03:02:39 PMWhen I did this one I based it on Scott Hartman's skeletal that he based on unpublished details shared to him by researchers with the Utahraptor Project. The BYU mount hadn't been revealed at that point but I did find photos of the cast skull reconstruction that is in your photo and incorporated those elements in my sculpt.

Beautiful, Thanks Doug for the confirmation! Will be picking this one up over the BotM one then ^-^

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 08, 2023, 03:07:46 PMI also agree that a wash of some sort over the blue would improve the figure, but as a whole I like the coloration a lot. This has instantly become one of my most anticipated figures of the year!

Agreed! I've been waiting for a BYU Utahratpor ever since the "Gaston" mount was erected. Happy to have such a well sculpted and affordable option to add to my collection.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on March 08, 2023, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on March 08, 2023, 01:39:05 PMUtahraptor

Quote from: bmathison1972 on March 08, 2023, 01:43:46 PMLooks amazing.

I think I am going to be bold and resume my earlier request to review it for the Blog, since I live in Utah and can think of some creative ways to photograph it :)

This will be my first true 'dinosaur' review since I mostly review invertebrates LOL

If someone is going to receive it as a review sample with expectations of a review, that takes priority over me :)

avatar_suspsy @suspsy avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum

B @bmathison1972, I believe a Youtuber (Dino-Scream Reviews) received this one as a sample and from what I gather, Safari doesn't send out multiple samples of the same figures. I didn't get one and if I were going to they would have sent it to coincide with the announcement. Likewise, I was the only person to get the Majunga. So, you should be good to go. A thread for Safari reviews has not been created yet, I suppose I'll do that and put you down for it.

I think the figure looks fantastic and I can't wait to get it. The paintjob reminds me of a peregrine falcon. Finally, a Utahraptor worth collecting, as I live and breathe!

Thanks avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi !!!!

Pliosaurking

The first image I was iffy about this figure ngl. But it looks much better in natural lighting as opposed to the white background. Glad to finally have a nice Utahraptor!

Sim

Thanks for that comparison pic Shane, the new Safari Utahraptor's size is perfect.

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 02:45:10 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 08, 2023, 02:34:18 PMHow is the Creative Beast Utahraptor inaccurate?

It's not strictly inaccurate per se; it's just that the even boxier BYU skull (particularly the premaxilla) reflects what we know about Utahraptor more than previous reconstructions.

Baardse likely used Hartman's skeletal for their figure, and Hartman's skull does not yet take into account Utahraptor's almost megalosaur-like skull morphology, instead opting for the more traditional dromaeosaur-esque head reconstruction.

A similar case to the Eotyrannus, but with less wiggle room since the BYU "Gaston" mount was already erected before any sculpting began for the BotM Utrahraptor. IIRC someone even brought the BYU skull to the attention of David when the Utahraptor sculpt was revealed, but the figure was most likely too far along the pipeline to accomodate this relatively minor change.
My understanding is Hartman's skeletal is not inaccurate, it simply represents a different specimen to the BYU specimen.  On the Utahraptor Wikipedia page there's a photo of a Utahraptor premaxilla that matches Hartman's reconstruction.  Utahraptor isn't the only theropod with this kind of individual variety in the premaxilla, it occurs in Tyrannosaurus and Allosaurus too.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 08, 2023, 03:02:39 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 02:28:48 PMAh, shame it's another theropod, but it's great that another old Safari figure got a remake! 2023's looking to be a great year.

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Which specimen / skeletal of Utahraptor did you use for reference? If it's based on the BYU specimen, then I believe it'll make the Safari Utahraptor more accurate than the BotM one.

When I did this one I based it on Scott Hartman's skeletal that he based on unpublished details shared to him by researchers with the Utahraptor Project. The BYU mount hadn't been revealed at that point but I did find photos of the cast skull reconstruction that is in your photo and incorporated those elements in my sculpt.
And Gwangi you nailed it my inspiration for the colour was the Peregrine falcon.

Peregrine falcons are flying in Utah now LOL; one's been harassing the Golden Eagle pair in City Creek Canyon behind my apartment  ;D

Carnoking

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 02:58:24 PM
Quote from: Shane on March 08, 2023, 02:38:33 PM

Thanks for the pic Shane!

One aspect of the figure had been bugging me for a bit and I couldn't place my finger where until this comparison: The lack of a wash to bring out the feather detail, and break up the solid blue on the Utahraptor.

While they are all toys at the end of the day, the brown wash on the Velociraptor really helps elevate its presentation

I felt the same thing in regards to the figure needing a wash or light dry brush to tie it all together. I suppose that's a relatively undemanding fix one could do when they get the figure but its absence certainly threw me for a bit of a loop when I first saw this figure

MLMjp

Call me disappointed.

Too big for 1:35 scale, and not a big fan of the coloration. Not even considering for my "out of scale" collection since that one is reserved for smaller genus.

A shame since the sculpt is really good.

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on March 08, 2023, 03:26:59 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 02:58:24 PMOne aspect of the figure had been bugging me for a bit and I couldn't place my finger where until this comparison: The lack of a wash to bring out the feather detail, and break up the solid blue on the Utahraptor.

While they are all toys at the end of the day, the brown wash on the Velociraptor really helps elevate its presentation

I felt the same thing in regards to the figure needing a wash or light dry brush to tie it all together. I suppose that's a relatively undemanding fix one could do when they get the figure but its absence certainly threw me for a bit of a loop when I first saw this figure

Speaking of customisation, I wonder if a dark blue or light blue wash would look better on the figure? Concers for both:
- Dark blue: risk making the figure look "dirty"
- Light blue: risk making the blue blend too much with the white underbelly & neck

I have very limited experience in customisation, and would love to hear more artsy people's opinions on this matter!

Lynx

I don't wanna be that guy, but is there an estimate of when this will be in stock on Safari LTDs site?
An oversized house cat.

Shane

Quote from: Lynx on March 08, 2023, 03:34:26 PMI don't wanna be that guy, but is there an estimate of when this will be in stock on Safari LTDs site?

I'm trying to get some more concrete info, but for now I would say sometime in Q2.

Lynx

Quote from: Shane on March 08, 2023, 03:35:20 PM
Quote from: Lynx on March 08, 2023, 03:34:26 PMI don't wanna be that guy, but is there an estimate of when this will be in stock on Safari LTDs site?

I'm trying to get some more concrete info, but for now I would say sometime in Q2.

Thank you!
An oversized house cat.

PrimevalRaptor

Safari keeps having the best dromaeosaur toys around, very happy to finally see an updated Utahraptor, the colors are a nice change from their previous raptors and the pose is pretty fun too (the Deinonychus is still my favorite with it's calm stride admittedly but this is a cool one too)
Absolutely stunning toy if you ask me.

Shane

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 03:32:21 PMSpeaking of customisation, I wonder if a dark blue or light blue wash would look better on the figure? Concers for both:
- Dark blue: risk making the figure look "dirty"
- Light blue: risk making the blue blend too much with the white underbelly & neck

I have very limited experience in customisation, and would love to hear more artsy people's opinions on this matter!

I would recommend using some diluted (ie. slightly watery) dark blue and painting the features and then wiping the excess away. A wash is one of the easier customizations to do, since there's not really much precision involved, you just have to make sure it gets in the cracks and then make sure the raised surfaces are wiped clean.

Gwangi

Thanks for the confirmation on the paintjob avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson. I think it's a great choice. I love the change of pace with the blue-gray, and the sharp contrast between all the colors. I can't wait to see it standing next to the Velociraptor and Deinonychus on my shelf.  ^-^

All of the Safari dromaeosaurs are so distinct from each other in pose and paintjob. You could never accuse them of being too similar like you can with PNSO figures. Even when Safari produces similar species they still have their own character that makes them individually unique and worth collecting. I just saw a lineup picture of the PNSO carcharodontosaurids and in that case they're all so similar that if you have one (I do, the Carcharodontosaurus) then you pretty much have them all. It makes it easier to skip one or two of them. It's boring and repetative. But with Safari when I see something like this Utahraptor in contrast to the other dromaeosaurs, or the Albertosaurus back-to-back with the Daspletosaurus, I'm eager to add them to the set of related animals and see them together. For a time it was "I can't wait for the next Safari ceratopsian" and now it's also "I can't wait for the next Safari dromaeosaur or tyrannosaur".

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 03:32:21 PMSpeaking of customisation, I wonder if a dark blue or light blue wash would look better on the figure?

Mmm, I think a combination of a dark blue wash and a light blue drybrush would do wonders for the texture on this figure. That's more or less what I did for my repaint of the Safari Deinonychus, except in browns.

The "dirty" look usually comes from using black for the wash, but a darker blue or purpleish blue should be fine.

I can't wait to try repainting this figure. Not because the paint is bad (I think the peregrine inspiration is a great idea and Safari did an admirable job translating that to a mass-marketable paint application), but because all the texture on the sculpt just calls out for a lovingly detailed paint job. You know, the kind of paint job that only a hobbyist with lots of free time to spend on one figure can do ;D
Check out my customs thread!

GojiraGuy1954

THAT'S what i'm talking about
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Dilopho

Its pose is perfect, with that stance drawing focus to its downturned jaw and large arms

Flaffy

Thank you both for the advice avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren S @Shane ! I look forward to seeing your customisation Wren, Doug's sculpts do deserve better paint than what the factory applies indeed. Good call on using a purplish blue, would help add an extra layer to the paint scheme without too much extra effort.

Should I be getting a larger brush for applying washes? I currently have a daintly little one for detail work, something that I used to touch up my Patagotitan's eyes and mouth.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: