News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoFan2010

I think the colors may also be inspired by a Yellow Tanager, but just a thought.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Lynx

Here are my thoughts after some thinking!
- The blue looks really good in real life, I don't think the white background photos do it justice!
- The pouncing pose is just awesome, and I know some people don't like open mouths, but I think it is fitting!
- The head seemed a little too big in the photo posted here, but after looking at the promo pics it seems fine

In particular, I love this picture, really does the Utahraptor justice!
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

I can't even find a nitpick about it. I'm gonna try and get this for my Birthday if it releases in time.
Already two amazing theropods of species that are far underrepresented, I can't wait to see what the future holds!
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: Shane on March 08, 2023, 01:56:59 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on March 08, 2023, 01:48:48 PMI don't really know what to think about this one. I know Utahraptor had weird proportions compared to other dromeosaurs and that it was stockier, maybe it's just the pose that makes it look a bit strange to me and the angle of the picture is not the best.

There are some more photos from different angles here:

https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/utahraptor-toy-figure
Thanks very much for this, it looks even better in those other photos!  It's also good it says the size, I was wondering what it was.  I'm very happy there is now finally a good Utahraptor figure!  It's great!

Paleo Flo

Quote from: Jose S.M. on March 08, 2023, 01:48:48 PMI don't really know what to think about this one. I know Utahraptor had weird proportions compared to other dromeosaurs and that it was stockier, maybe it's just the pose that makes it look a bit strange to me and the angle of the picture is not the best.

Word. Not that thrilled by this.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Faelrin

At long last. Years of waiting fulfilled (well almost, need it in my hands first after all). Really glad to see this. Not the biggest fan of the tail on the ground, but I guess it's for stability with the rest of the pose, which is honestly pretty nice. The rest of it looks awesome anyways, sculpt and colors. The colors kind of remind me of the BotM Zhenyuanlong in a way, but less purple. It'll stand out alongside the Velociraptor and Deinonychus. You do this avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson? Mad props if you did. Can't wait to get this one.

Edit: avatar_Paleo Flo @Paleo Flo Did you see the link S @Shane posted? The other pictures give a much better look at it.

Edit 2: Man really can't believe we'll have not one but two great modern options for Utahraptor now with this one, and the upcoming Cyberzoic/BotM one. Like at long last.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

A Utahraptor based on the latest science with blue plumage. It couldn't be better in my book. Fabulous job, Safari!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Lynx link=msg=340966 date=1678284555

img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2281/5369/products/utahspring1_700x700.png?v=1678212491[/img]

I think that's one of the best photos of it. I think the pouncing and open mouth pose will help to differentiate it from Velociraptor with its more horizontal pose and Deinonychus with its calm pose.

Lynx

Quote from: Jose S.M. on March 08, 2023, 02:23:53 PM
Quote from: Lynx link=msg=340966 date=1678284555

img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2281/5369/products/utahspring1_700x700.png?v=1678212491[/img]

I think that's one of the best photos of it. I think the pouncing and open mouth pose will help to differentiate it from Velociraptor with its more horizontal pose and Deinonychus with its calm pose.

I wonder how this figure will compare to them in size, it seems to be about an inch longer compared to the other two according to the Safari LTD website.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Ah, shame it's another theropod, but it's great that another old Safari figure got a remake! 2023's looking to be a great year.

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Which specimen / skeletal of Utahraptor did you use for reference? If it's based on the BYU specimen, then I believe it'll make the Safari Utahraptor more accurate than the BotM one.

Sim

How is the Creative Beast Utahraptor inaccurate?

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on March 08, 2023, 02:34:18 PMHow is the Creative Beast Utahraptor inaccurate?

It doesn't feature the curve on the tip of the bottom jaw afaik.
An oversized house cat.

Shane

Quote from: Lynx on March 08, 2023, 02:28:36 PMI wonder how this figure will compare to them in size, it seems to be about an inch longer compared to the other two according to the Safari LTD website.

I didn't have a Deinonychus handy but I tried to show a good comparison between Utah and Velociraptor.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on March 08, 2023, 02:34:18 PMHow is the Creative Beast Utahraptor inaccurate?

It's not strictly inaccurate per se; it's just that the even boxier BYU skull (particularly the premaxilla) reflects what we know about Utahraptor more than previous reconstructions.

Baardse likely used Hartman's skeletal for their figure, and Hartman's skull does not yet take into account Utahraptor's almost megalosaur-like skull morphology, instead opting for the more traditional dromaeosaur-esque head reconstruction.

A similar case to the Eotyrannus, but with less wiggle room since the BYU "Gaston" mount was already erected before any sculpting began for the BotM Utrahraptor. IIRC someone even brought the BYU skull to the attention of David when the Utahraptor sculpt was revealed, but the figure was most likely too far along the pipeline to accomodate this relatively minor change.

Dusty Wren

Oh, I like this one! The coloration and the pose are striking. Safari is really killing it with dromaeosaurids recently.
Check out my customs thread!

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on March 08, 2023, 02:35:26 PM

I beleive it does. Just hidden under the lips. IMO David could've gotten away with exaggerating this feature more on the figure though.

Sim

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 02:28:48 PMAh, shame it's another theropod, but it's great that another old Safari figure got a remake! 2023's looking to be a great year.
It's just an opinion that it's a shame, I'm very happy with this Utahraptor.  Utahraptor needed a good figure and good dromaeosaurid figures are rare.

Quote from: Lynx on March 08, 2023, 02:35:26 PM

I see what you mean, but I think that's just an illusion created by its lips as in the photo below you can see its teeth curve outwards.

The image shared by Flaffy shows this too, even better.

Lynx

Quote from: Shane on March 08, 2023, 02:38:33 PM
Quote from: Lynx on March 08, 2023, 02:28:36 PMI wonder how this figure will compare to them in size, it seems to be about an inch longer compared to the other two according to the Safari LTD website.

I didn't have a Deinonychus handy but I tried to show a good comparison between Utah and Velociraptor.

I appreciate the comparison! This is very helpful, I think I'll get them both together.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on March 08, 2023, 02:38:33 PM

Thanks for the pic Shane!

One aspect of the figure had been bugging me for a bit and I couldn't place my finger where until this comparison: The lack of a wash to bring out the feather detail, and break up the solid blue on the Utahraptor.

While they are all toys at the end of the day, the brown wash on the Velociraptor really helps elevate its presentation

Doug Watson

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 02:28:48 PMAh, shame it's another theropod, but it's great that another old Safari figure got a remake! 2023's looking to be a great year.

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Which specimen / skeletal of Utahraptor did you use for reference? If it's based on the BYU specimen, then I believe it'll make the Safari Utahraptor more accurate than the BotM one.

When I did this one I based it on Scott Hartman's skeletal that he based on unpublished details shared to him by researchers with the Utahraptor Project. The BYU mount hadn't been revealed at that point but I did find photos of the cast skull reconstruction that is in your photo and incorporated those elements in my sculpt.
And Gwangi you nailed it my inspiration for the colour was the Peregrine falcon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: