News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Gwangi on February 25, 2023, 08:39:06 PMI should also mention that there are many instances where people don't leave a comment and the like button at least lets you know that your content was read and appreciated. Case in point, I've been trying to revive the nature photography thread. I posted 3 separate batches of pictures with nary any response. But, my posts have gotten a few likes, which means people are at least looking at the thread. Without that kind of confirmation that people are there I would have likely given up on the thread altogether, thinking it was a waste of time and effort.

Similarly, Blaine posts his daily museum posts on the ATF. I look at them every day and make sure to click like so he knows that his efforts are appreciated and that someone is interested in his content. I also comment, when I have something to say, but usually I literally just like the post so I just use the like button.
This may seem commonsensical, but it is right to the point and quite insightful - I've felt the same myself on several occasions. The 'like' button really does serve a very useful function. Positives like this certainly outweigh any negatives, IMO.

DinoToyForum

On reflection, I think I'll keep the like button. The above discussion shows how the pros outweigh the cons. Though I acknowledge there are cons and some members don't like the button.

suspsy

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 26, 2023, 01:04:04 AMOn reflection, I think I'll keep the like button. The above discussion shows how the pros outweigh the cons. Though I acknowledge there are cons and some members don't like the button.

I think you've made the right decision. :) 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

BlueKrono

I'd be happy to see it stick around. It does seem to increase engagement and positivity on the forum.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Crackington

I quite like the like button too for Gwangi's reason of being able to express a positive reaction but not really having something more to add. Good decision to keep it I feel.

Agree that there shouldn't be a dislike button though as it would introduce toxicity to discussions.

I also like Ceratopsian's point about pausing before using the like button to like something by someone who doesn't like to be liked 🤔 . I'll think twice before doing so in future though Halichoeres' collection thread is so good!

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 26, 2023, 01:04:04 AMOn reflection, I think I'll keep the like button. The above discussion shows how the pros outweigh the cons. Though I acknowledge there are cons and some members don't like the button.

Well, I wish it were otherwise, but of course it's your site and I respect the decision. Thanks for being open to input at any rate. I suppose it's inevitable, given the dominance of social media, that the norms and etiquette of the old Internet will be supplanted by the norms and etiquette of Facebook and Twitter.

Quote from: Gwangi on February 25, 2023, 06:27:51 PMWell, it looks like you need to stop posting such likeable content.  ;D

Kidding, of course, but knowing that you don't like the feature I deliberately do not "like" your posts.

Ha ha, definitely more about volume than quality.

Quote from: Crackington on February 26, 2023, 10:54:35 AMI also like Ceratopsian's point about pausing before using the like button to like something by someone who doesn't like to be liked 🤔 . I'll think twice before doing so in future though Halichoeres' collection thread is so good!

I don't want to give the impression that I'm offended when someone drops a like on one of my posts, it's just that I'm unlikely to notice at all. Thanks for the kind words on my collection thread!

As for the dislike button, well, there's always the eye-roll emoji! I actually wish Facebook had that.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoFan2010

I've been getting ads for "free online dating" on the dtf and i don't know why

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

DinoToyForum

FYI, I split out the discussion about adverts on the blog and forum into a separate topic: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10871

Halichoeres

I found a way to live with the like button, and I feel a little silly that I didn't figure out earlier! There doesn't seem to be an option to disable likes on one's posts, but one can disable notifications for them:

I gave up on checking my alerts for, I don't know, a few months? This number isn't because my posts are especially popular, just because I won't shut up. Sorry if I missed a tag or something else important as a result of ignoring alerts.

Now maybe the alerts will be useful again and I can pretend the like button doesn't exist.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Stegotyranno420

Speaking of like buttons, I am morbidly curious of how dislike buttons would affect the forum just for one day. It should be tested on the day a new PNSO figure is revealed ;D

Libraraptor

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 29, 2023, 06:55:45 AMSpeaking of like buttons, I am morbidly curious of how dislike buttons would affect the forum just for one day. It should be tested on the day a new PNSO figure is revealed ;D

I strongly disadvise that. Dislike buttons have never done any good to anything or anyone.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on June 29, 2023, 11:41:05 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 29, 2023, 06:55:45 AMSpeaking of like buttons, I am morbidly curious of how dislike buttons would affect the forum just for one day. It should be tested on the day a new PNSO figure is revealed ;D

I strongly disadvise that. Dislike buttons have never done any good to anything or anyone.

A dislike button doesn't exist for the forum in any case.  O:-)

postsaurischian

cancelled post

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 29, 2023, 06:33:05 AMI found a way to live with the like button, and I feel a little silly that I didn't figure out earlier! There doesn't seem to be an option to disable likes on one's posts, but one can disable notifications for them:

I gave up on checking my alerts for, I don't know, a few months? This number isn't because my posts are especially popular, just because I won't shut up. Sorry if I missed a tag or something else important as a result of ignoring alerts.

Now maybe the alerts will be useful again and I can pretend the like button doesn't exist.

Like.  ;D

Stegotyranno420

I strongly disadvise that. Dislike buttons have never done any good to anything or
 anyone.
understood, it was more of a comical idea. I too agree that a dislike button would be very destructive

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoToyForum on June 29, 2023, 01:36:26 PMLike.  ;D

Ha!

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 29, 2023, 03:50:52 PM

I strongly disadvise that. Dislike buttons have never done any good to anything or
 anyone.
understood, it was more of a comical idea. I too agree that a dislike button would be very destructive

I've said my piece on the matter and don't wish to relitigate it, but I think the like button is nearly as bad as a dislike button because of its tendency to turn conversations into dunking contests.

SidB

It seems to me hat it's been quite a while since we've had a really nasty spat on the DTF. A dislike button would likely contribute to conflict and serve little to no positive purpose and should never be considered. On the other hand, the like button may sometimes or even often be affirming, which may contribute to 'positive vibes', which is no bad thing, IMO.

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum I just noticed that this subforum (Forum and Blog Business) is gone from the main page now.

EDIT: It looks like this post isn't appearing on the recently updated threads bar, either.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 14, 2023, 01:14:20 AMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum I just noticed that this subforum (Forum and Blog Business) is gone from the main page now.

EDIT: It looks like this post isn't appearing on the recently updated threads bar, either.

So it is, good spot! Thanks for flagging that, I think I have fixed it now? It may explain why some members missed my recent announcements in this board.

Takama

Not sure this is the right space, but I just got a intrusive screen covering Ad here on the Forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: