News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Should've toned down the grey spray on he dorsum. The transition to the unpainted white tail is jarring.

Much better proportions than the midget tailed D&D Indominus though. I wouldn't mind if they just retooled this new sculpt for the Hammond Collection release. With additional points of articulation ofc. Not sure where the goose bumps on the thigh came from though, I don't recall the movie design ever having those.

Pliosaurking

The sculpt is definitely superior to the old one, although that all white tail is quite jarring. I'd like to see the HC version to decide which I prefer.

Eatmycar

Oh it's such, such a good sculpt. But I'm sure as hell not going to get this since Hammond Collection is a thing. Patience will pay off here.

Gwangi

Quote from: Eatmycar on March 11, 2023, 12:20:47 AMOh it's such, such a good sculpt. But I'm sure as hell not going to get this since Hammond Collection is a thing. Patience will pay off here.

I agree. I don't have any Indominus toys and never really planned on getting one, but if an HC one comes along that might be what breaks me.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for those pics. I do agree the facts app stuff does take from the presentation some, but the rest is still a really nice homage.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Cretaceous Crab

Why on earth do they keep mucking with the placement of the DNA scan codes?! They were fine on the feet back in 2018!

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on March 11, 2023, 01:44:15 PMWhy on earth do they keep mucking with the placement of the DNA scan codes?! They were fine on the feet back in 2018!
I will always be mystified by their decision to move the scan codes from the feet. It's such a downgrade

suspsy

Indeed. If anything, it's helped drive up the cost of these toys. Totally unnecessary feature.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Innovation for the sake of innovation I guess.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on March 11, 2023, 04:00:20 PM
Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on March 11, 2023, 01:44:15 PMWhy on earth do they keep mucking with the placement of the DNA scan codes?! They were fine on the feet back in 2018!
I will always be mystified by their decision to move the scan codes from the feet. It's such a downgrade
Quote from: suspsy on March 11, 2023, 04:45:34 PMIndeed. If anything, it's helped drive up the cost of these toys. Totally unnecessary feature.

Agreed on all counts. It...
- unecessarily breaks up the sculpt
- highly intrusive
- increases cost
- easy breakage
- permanent (again, I highly doubt the app will be here years down the line)

One of the many reasons why I've switched my focus towards the Hammond Collection.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on March 11, 2023, 06:07:55 PMInnovation for the sake of innovation I guess.

Kinda like the annual revamp of how gimmicks and action features are construction with each mainline wave.

Completely unecessary, why fix something that isn't broken? What was wrong with a simple push-down button that's easy to play with? (I'm still salty about the current trend of slider buttons)

andrewsaurus rex

Many companies just do change for the sake of making a change.  It's almost epidemic these days.  And in many, many instances, the change makes things worse than they were before.  Ebay is notorious for this change for the sake of change fixation.  It seems Mattel has the bug too.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Agreed on all accounts-- its intrusive and unnecessary. The pull tabs aren't any better in my opinion. I assumed it was to prevent people from scanning the codes without buying the toys, but the '93 rex and new indominus will both have an open box anyway.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

GojiraGuy1954

Getting the Theri, Megaraptor and Red Rex single-handedly reignited my interest in this line
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

DinoFan2010

Quote from: Faelrin on March 09, 2023, 04:54:40 PMAnother new sub line, another new gimmick. Not sure how many folks here will find these appealing, but worth sharing just in case:

I scanned the qr code on the packaging, could lead to something else when released, but for now, they just lead to the Jurassic World section of Mattel's website.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Galaxy

Gwangi

Looking good. I imagine that by the time I see them on shelves the 30th anniversary logo will be obsolete.

Lynx

I don't really get why the Metricanthosaurus has the logo, but oh well
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Lynx on March 14, 2023, 09:52:10 PMI don't really get why the Metricanthosaurus has the logo, but oh well
I believe Metria was present in the original park
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: