News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 04:46:39 PMI have not. But when there's no papers out to the public, from what I am seeing, that says 'yes, this is most definitely velociraptor', then nothing is extremely concrete. I never said it was impossible, nor that there is no base to it, merely that, from what information the public does have, it isn't extremely concrete.
But we also do not have papers to say it isn't Velociraptor.

With information like this, it is best to not nitpick it if there isn't a definitive yes or no.

Lynx

Quote from: Bread on May 02, 2023, 04:51:25 PM
Quote from: Lynx on May 02, 2023, 04:46:39 PMI have not. But when there's no papers out to the public, from what I am seeing, that says 'yes, this is most definitely velociraptor', then nothing is extremely concrete. I never said it was impossible, nor that there is no base to it, merely that, from what information the public does have, it isn't extremely concrete.
But we also do not have papers to say it isn't Velociraptor.

With information like this, it is best to not nitpick it if there isn't a definitive yes or no.

Thus why I am very confused that they chose to call it Velociraptor, when there are papers nor for it nor against it, instead of merely calling it an unnamed relative as they did with other species. I'll give them an ask on Twitter though.
An oversized house cat.

Leyster

Also keep in mind that people which worked on the show might have some informations not available to us. It'd not be the first time medias feature something before it's actually published (Gastonia, for example, appeared in Raptor Red three years before the paper decribing it was out).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Faelrin

Honestly regardless of what that dromaeosaur may be, I think it was important to combat the dated notion of Velociraptor being the oversized scaly Deinonychus of Jurassic Park, that has been mainstay for the past 30 years, with something much closer to the truth. Calling that particular animal Velociraptor helps reach out to the public because it is already a name many are familiar with. I'd be willing to accept some anachronism (if the remains end up not assigned to Velociraptor) in this case, if it can at least help address that issue and educate people.

That said I would like to see Adasaurus in Season 2. It has relatively decent remains and was around Deinonychus size, and lived in the Nemegt.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jorgesaurus

for the third season they should focus on the Jurassic period

Fembrogon

...So I was watching the trailer again and noticed Apple TV's caption of choice on their Facebook & Twitter page posts:
QuoteAustroraptors, isisaurs, and pachycephalosaurs, oh my.
Official Trailer — Prehistoric Planet Season 2
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=200190189481468
https://twitter.com/AppleTV/status/1653383863245127681

It looks like we have two more genera confirmed!

Eatmycar

Those Triceratops are BEAUTIFUL! All of this is stunning and I can't wait for PP Season 2 to drop.

I just wish we'd get some figures based off of these...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Eatmycar on May 03, 2023, 12:23:09 AMI just wish we'd get some figures based off of these...

That would be great. I'd buy most of them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

New Images from PrePlanet S2, showcasing a couple new species

Islands
Spoiler

On a small island, a monumental display takes place as the giant Hatzegopteryx reveals his gentler side to woo a mate.

Hatzegopteryx shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 22 on Apple TV+.

Hatzegopteryx, the heaviest animal to ever fly, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 22 on Apple TV+.

Majungasaurus, the top predator in its Madagascan ecosystem, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 22 on Apple TV+.

Imperobator, a giant relative of animals like Velociraptor adapted to the cool dark conditions of Cretaceous Antarctica, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 22 on Apple TV+.

Simosuchus, a vegetarian, land-dwelling crocodile, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 22 on Apple TV+.

Adaletherium, a mammal that lived alongside dinosaurs 66 million years ago, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 22 on Apple TV+.
[close]

Badlands
Spoiler

Trudging through a scorching desert, two young Tarchia find relief at an oasis and encounter an adult twice their size, ready to lay claim.

Rajasaurus, a heavily built predator related to the horned Carnotaurus from season 1, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+.

Tarchia, a desert ankylosaur, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+.

Tarchia, a desert ankylosaur, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+.

Isisaurus eggs, buried in volcanic ash to incubate them, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+.

Isisaurus, one of many dinosaurs familiar with long-term volcanic activity, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+.

Baby Isisaurus shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+.

Adolescent Velociraptors shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+

Baby Velociraptor shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 23 on Apple TV+.
[close]

Swamps
Spoiler

In a drought-stricken basin where much has perished, an old Pachycephalosaurus bull defends his leadership against a young challenger.

Pachycephalosaurus shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 24 on Apple TV+.

Pachycephalosaurus shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 24 on Apple TV+.

Rapetosaurus, a long-necked sauropod from Madagascar, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 24 on Apple TV+.

Austroraptor, a giant South American relative of Velociraptor, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 24 on Apple TV+.
[close]

Oceans
Spoiler

Deep beneath the water's surface, the world's largest predator—the Mosasaurus—lies in wait to ambush unsuspecting prey.

Ammonites shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 25 on Apple TV+.

Ammonites shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 25 on Apple TV+.

Morturneria, a southern hemisphere plesiosaur of cold water, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 25 on Apple TV+.

Xiphactinus, a colossal bony fish and one of the fiercest creatures in the sea, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 25 on Apple TV+.

Hesperornis, a flightless, wingless seabird, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 25 on Apple TV+.
[close]

North America
Spoiler

Not many can intimidate North America's top predator, T. rex, whose size and bite are a deadly combo—except for a giant winged foe.

Quetzalcoatlus clashing with Tyrannosaurus Rex as shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 26 on Apple TV+.

Quetzalcoatlus, a giraffe-sized giant reptile and Tyrannosaurus Rex shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 26 on Apple TV+.

Pectinodon, a fully feathered bird-like dinosaur, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 26 on Apple TV+.

Triceratops clashing in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 26 on Apple TV+.

Baby Triceratops shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 26 on Apple TV+.

Alamosaurus, America's largest dinosaur and one of the largest dinosaurs ever, shown in "Prehistoric Planet," premiering May 26 on Apple TV+.
[close]
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Brocc21

Any fear I had of S2 just being more of the same is now gone. Loving how diverse this seasons cast seems to be.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

JimoAi

still waiting for Ankylosaurus but it will likely be in episode 5

Brocc21

"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Bread

That second clip shown in the youtube video was...

breathtaking...

dragon53

New exclusive film clip of Quetzalcoatlus (scroll down to the middle of the page).

LINK: https://screenrant.com/prehistoric-planet-season-2-pterosaurs-clip/

Samrukia

Quote from: dragon53 on May 17, 2023, 04:44:44 PMNew exclusive film clip of Quetzalcoatlus (scroll down to the middle of the page).

LINK: https://screenrant.com/prehistoric-planet-season-2-pterosaurs-clip/

Hatzegopteryx

dragon53

Here's the new film clip without clicking on a link.

Dynomikegojira

Last I did last year I'm revisiting old paleodocs to bid time until season and this time I started with episode 1 of Prehistoric Planet of which I'll one episode a day leading directly into season 2.

Duna

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 18, 2023, 03:18:20 AMLast I did last year I'm revisiting old paleodocs to bid time until season and this time I started with episode 1 of Prehistoric Planet of which I'll one episode a day leading directly into season 2.
I like your approach!

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: Duna on May 18, 2023, 03:41:21 PM
Quote from: Dynomikegojira on May 18, 2023, 03:18:20 AMLast I did last year I'm revisiting old paleodocs to bid time until season and this time I started with episode 1 of Prehistoric Planet of which I'll one episode a day leading directly into season 2.
I like your approach!
Indeed gonna do Deserts today and at least 2 episodes of Dinosaur Revolution.

Dynomikegojira

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: