You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric animals we'd like made, ordered by year named

Started by Sim, March 14, 2020, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCambrianCrusader

Imma try not to name too many therapsids buuuuut I love them way too much sooooooo

1895: Cynognathus crateronotus, If there was any therapsid that DESERVED a figure as much as Moschops it'd be this guy, its just way too important to our understanding of early mammalian evolution (Thrinaxodon may be more important but still)
1905: Glanosuchus macrops (used to be synonymous with Pristerognathus)
1916: Jonkeria truculenta or any species of Jonkeria really
1920: Moschorhinus kitchingi
1921: Anteosaurus magnificus
1938: Titanophoneus potens
1994: Suminia getmanovi, It's like a little therapsid monkey!
2010: Trucidocynodon riograndensis, The other species are all a lot more famous (at least as far as therapsids go) than this guy but its just such a neat little Triassic cynodont as it shows that carnivorous therapsids were still actively competing with archosaurs at least as late as the Carnian and it even shows evidence of cursoriality. Such a fascinating species
2011: Tiarajudens eccentricus

Sim

I've now added all of those, and removed Majungasaurus and Meraxes from the list now that they have good figure versions.  I think the only allosauroid left on the list now is Asfaltovenator.

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 09, 2022, 02:31:42 PMThere are lots of notable omissions, but I haven't wanted to clutter up the list too much. This is me every time a decent new fossil taxon is announced [edited to add: OR every time I go down a rabbit hole reading about an old taxon that doesn't have a good figure]:

Well, if you'd like me to add the notable omissions, I think I can.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on March 07, 2023, 11:31:50 AMI think the only allosauroid left on the list now is Asfaltovenator.

And hopefully it'll eventually have a good figure to its name too!

BTW, Ouranosaurus could probably be removed from the list now with the release of the Haolonggood version (yeah, the hands are wrong, but that detail aside, it's a good reconstruction otherwise). Does this list consider discontinued figures too? Because if that's the case, I think the Battat version holds up perfectly fine (?). FWIW it has better manus anatomy than Haolonggood's.

Sim

Companies seem to love making allosauroid figures, so I think it's quite likely Asfaltovenator will be made well at some point.

As for Ouranosaurus, I think another mistake in the Haolonggood version is they gave it one horn instead of two.  The Battat Ouranosaurus is correct in this area.  The list does take into account retired figures, so I've removed Ouranosaurus as the Battat version is accurate, I think.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Is the CollectA Stegouros available?  I thought it hadn't been released yet?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 22, 2023, 08:16:45 PMIs the CollectA Stegouros available?  I thought it hadn't been released yet?
If you count retired figures then why not unreleased confirmed models

Sim

???  I don't count unreleased figures because they aren't available so there isn't a good version available.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on March 22, 2023, 08:46:04 PM???  I don't count unreleased figures because they aren't available so there isn't a good version available.
Retired figures aren't exactly available anymore either

Sim

They were available at one point and that's what makes them affect what's included on the list.  Unreleased figures don't affect the list.

Sim

I've removed Tuojiangosaurus as now that I have the PNSO version I think it's satisfactory.  I also removed Beipiaosaurus as I'm happy with the Safari toob version and I was the only one who expressed interest in it.

Sim

I've removed a couple of species I'm no longer wanting a figure of, and I've added the following:

2005: Centrosaurus brinkmani

I'm following Gregory Paul's reclassification of this species as being within Centrosaurus as the differences between Centrosaurus apertus, Coronosaurus and Spinops are in my opinion exactly the differences you'd expect to see from different species within the same genus.  Plus, they form a monophyletic group together, negating the original reason brinkmani was given its own genus (Coronosaurus).

Sim

I've added the following to the list as I'd like a nice figure of it:

1943: Hydrotherosaurus alexandrae

Sim

I've added the following as I'd like a bigger version of it with primary feathers:

2007: Kelenken guillermoi

Sim

There are two more terror birds I'd like figures of:

1931: Andalgalornis steulleti, a terror bird with a very well-preserved skull.
1982: Paraphysornis brasiliensis, a terror bird that is highly complete and unusually robust.

Concavenator

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2022, 11:45:08 AMI would like these as well:

1871: Cryptoclidus eurymerus
1979: Piatnitzkysaurus floresi
1989: Leallynasaura amicagraphica
2005: Jinfengopteryx elegans
2009: Anchiornis huxleyi *
2011: Xiaotingia zhengi
2013: Aurornis xui
2016: Rativates evadens
2017: Serikornis sungei
2019: Hesperornithoides miessleri
2022: Abditosaurus kuehnei

* There was a really nice Anchiornis by Takara, but it's discontinued and super rare to find, the only other option is the PNSO mini which is disproportionate.

The only ones I'm still interested in out of those are Anchiornis, Leallynasaura and Hesperornithoides. I also requested Rativates but I'm no longer interested in one, the only ornithomimid I'd want to have is Gallimimus. So feel free to remove those taxa (unless anybody else is interested in them) if you want, avatar_Sim @Sim .

On another note, looks like one of the Apatosaurus species is going to exit the list soon!  :)

Sim

I've removed the ones on the list you said you're no longer interested in except for Serikornis as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin would like it.

Sim

I've added the following species I'd like an accurate figure of:

1879: Stegosaurus ungulatus

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Sim on May 13, 2023, 03:59:31 PMI've added the following species I'd like an accurate figure of:

1879: Stegosaurus ungulatus
Thank you! While not ad complete as S.stenops, S.ungulatus is larger(automatically cooler for me  8)  8) )

Sim

I've removed both Apatosaurus species, Koolasuchus and Stegouros now that new figures are available for those genera.  I've also added to the list:

1879: Brontosaurus excelsus
1890: Barosaurus lentus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: