News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKaprosuchus

Yeah I think the price makes sense given the somewhat bigger size.
If its paint is really that sloppy though, im definitely concerned on if the price is warranted.

CARN0TAURUS

As if I needed more convincing, the comparison photos really sell the figure, it looks imposing even when compared to wilson...

I will be buying it, but with the knowledge that the head paint will need to be touch up a bit, for some reason the body of the figure looks like it was painted by the "A" team while the head looks like it was painted by the "b" team... the front of the snout is where most of the problems are, the wash that was applied to bring out the scales seems to have faded the black paint, it might not have been apparent when the figures were newly painted but after the figures continued to cure inside the box the wash ate up the black, so the black needs to be dry brushed a bit, the teeth should be a simple fix as well but I completely understand why folks would be put off by the sloppiness on a $75 figure.

Otherwise, this T-rex is basically what I wanted PNSO to do after they had refined the skin on previous figures.  It was just a matter of time until they made this lovely figure.

Medzo

I think some of the comments are just jumping on the previous comment, this way a negative bandwagon has started against the figure.

I don't see ANY quality sloppiness here that'd put the Rex behind the Giga. Price is more, but it's a bigger figure as well. Also T-Rex is always a flagship model, thus the pricing.

Bread

Quote from: Medzo on May 24, 2023, 05:08:11 PMI think some of the comments are just jumping on the previous comment, this way a negative bandwagon has started against the figure.

I don't see ANY quality sloppiness here that'd put the Rex behind the Giga. Price is more, but it's a bigger figure as well. Also T-Rex is always a flagship model, thus the pricing.
So criticism is not allowed? We are indeed the consumers afterall. I did not see anyone here say it is "ugly" or "disgusting to look at." If anything, this model is impressive.

But it all comes down to the price at which us collectors are willing to pay for said model with its certain issues. For example, sloppiness of the bottom jaw's teeth bleeding into the gums, the reuse of just all brown shading. For $75 figure (plus if you add shipping & taxes it could be almost $90), some of us expect higher quality and something different. Lack of lips aside too, it is just another Tyrannosaurus on the market that a good majority of the community will skip on due to its large price.

I also want to add regarding criticm. Rebor's Kiss received heavy criticism when finalized. Had the jaw articulation issue where the model would not close well enough or just gape open. The tail seam being noticeable. Plus this figure was about $60, making collectors turn their heads away from the model. Again, quality issues with price in mind brought forth these criticism.

Lynx

I like this Rex just as much as most of the other PNSO late 2022/2023 theropods, which in that case is quite negative. Again, sculpting is nice, but there are so many things, mainly the price all things considered, that are offputting. In short, here's a little list of what I just generally don't like about this and the other recent mega-theropods.

- Colors are muddled like someone went on an art program and was a little too harsh with the blending tool. There are some beautiful patterns, but it's so muddled it's hard to appreciate such. Yeah yeah, 'realism', but many other companies look far less muddled and have defining patterns while still looking realistic and pleasant.

- As others have pointed out, there's a lot of sloppiness on the face, which is a major part of the figure. This doesn't bother me much, but why would I get an even more expensive version of a figure that doesn't have these issues? (to clarify, I am talking about figures from other companies)

- As a museum line figure, besides the skull (which I don't really think is fitting, but it works), there's not too much that really sets this apart besides paper. This isn't just a complaint about this figure, though, every Museum line, besides the Stegosaurus and Torosaurus which have exclusive figures I suppose, has nothing super remarkable that makes them more special than the regular figures quality-wise. This is no different, with possibly even worse quality depending on who you ask.

Nothing super major, and honestly, I couldn't care less for most, but the price is the biggest punch in the face, with the other factors just adding in as nitpicks. Again, do not get me wrong, it is a really nice figure. Here's some stuff I like about it, to bring in some positivity;

- The sculpt is really, REALLY nice, The bulk, the skull, everything. The sculpt itself is super well done.

- If you look past the very muddled paint, there are some interesting patterns and details in the paint job

- It completely improves upon Wilson when it comes to the sculpt, even the scales!

- It's HUGEEEE, if were able to afford it, it would completely stand out. It's just so huge, and I love massive figures.

A bit disappointed by the figure not having any of Sue's actual injuries, especially since this is meant to be Sue. Other figures have injuries from actual specimens, so this surprises me. Then again, injuries on the Jaw wouldn't be "pretty", along with many other injuries. It still would be nice to have since no other figures show a decently injured/healed specimen that isn't already dead.

All and all, why would I get this if REBOR and BotM both have representations that are not only more accurate but also don't have any of the issues presented. (Even BOTM would've been cheaper for me at 1:35) And then there's Eofauna coming out with a figure that'll top these all off while still likely being more affordable. It just doesn't seem worth the buck.
An oversized house cat.

CARN0TAURUS

I don't care about the price myself because I buy fewer figures than most of you guys here which allows me to pay more for what I really want.  However there is something to be said when you can buy the fantastic Zhuchengtyrannus on sale for $37 shipped on Amazon with prime and this new T-rex literally costs double, do the extra bulk and "sue" skull justify the 100% bump in price?  To me it's still worth the $60 I'll pay for it once it goes on sale but everyone has to answer that question for themselves.

Faelrin

avatar_Lynx @Lynx Good point about the missing injuries. A bit strange, since the Parasaurolophus was based on the holotype specimen which was depicted with the unique pathology it suffered from.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I know you said you wouldn't reply to my posts in the future, Lynx, but I have some thoughts I would like to share.

Quote- Colors are muddled like someone went on an art program and was a little too harsh with the blending tool. There are some beautiful patterns, but it's so muddled it's hard to appreciate such. Yeah yeah, 'realism', but many other companies look far less muddled and have defining patterns while still looking realistic and pleasant.
I'm not seeing the "muddled" colourations.

Quote- As others have pointed out, there's a lot of sloppiness on the face, which is a major part of the figure. This doesn't bother me much, but why would I get an even more expensive version of a figure that doesn't have these issues?
Well, you would get the figure if you like it enough and there's enough improvement over the other figure?

QuoteA bit disappointed by the figure not having any of Sue's actual injuries, especially since this is meant to be Sue. Other figures have injuries from actual specimens, so this surprises me. Then again, injuries on the Jaw wouldn't be "pretty", along with many other injuries. It still would be nice to have since no other figures show a decently injured/healed specimen that isn't already dead.
Personally, I prefer figures not to have injuries.  The Safari 2017 Tyrannosaurus is based on Sue and has injuries on its snout.

QuoteAll and all, why would I get this if REBOR and BotM both have representations that are not only more accurate but also don't have any of the issues presented. (Even BOTM would've been cheaper for me at 1:35) And then there's Eofauna coming out with a figure that'll top these all off while still likely being more affordable. It just doesn't seem worth the buck.
Well, REBOR's looks like a monster rather than a real animal and BotM's has articulation seams that break up the sculpt.  Eofauna's has the dewclaws too high up, same as their Giganotosaurus.  It's up to you what you prefer.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 24, 2023, 06:18:27 PMI don't care about the price myself because I buy fewer figures than most of you guys here which allows me to pay more for what I really want.  However there is something to be said when you can buy the fantastic Zhuchengtyrannus on sale for $37 shipped on Amazon with prime and this new T-rex literally costs double, do the extra bulk and "sue" skull justify the 100% bump in price?  To me it's still worth the $60 I'll pay for it once it goes on sale but everyone has to answer that question for themselves.

That is my philosophy 100% it is pretty mcuh a Tyrannosaurus as much as this one. In addition, an average size Tyrannosaurus would be smaller or around the same size as most Carcharodontosaurs, so I actually think it scales even better.
Of course, I am aware the other theropods are more sparse in material and thus it is harder to determine such statistics, but a guy can dream.
Either way I am sticking with my Safari Feathered Rex.

Over9K

Quote from: Medzo on May 24, 2023, 02:47:29 PMI just don't see any problems with the teeth honestly. They are the same quality previous figures had.

100% Agree. PNSO has had THE WORST teeth in the industry from the start. Battat's or Schiech's pegs are better teeth, honestly.

My Zuke has just horrible teeth, my Tarbosaurus too, Wilson V1 has BALEEN for teeth, as does the vaunted and revered Safari feathered rex!

IMO complaining about poorly sculpted/painted teeth in this hobby is an indictment of the whole hobby.

EDIT: I also think people are a little bit jaded by the separate ABS teeth that Nanmu and Rebor are using, comparing them to the vinyl, gang sculpted teeth of pretty much every other company

The price point however... is unjustifiable, and the Museum Line is nothing more than a cash grab.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on May 24, 2023, 06:39:07 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 24, 2023, 06:18:27 PMI don't care about the price myself because I buy fewer figures than most of you guys here which allows me to pay more for what I really want.  However there is something to be said when you can buy the fantastic Zhuchengtyrannus on sale for $37 shipped on Amazon with prime and this new T-rex literally costs double, do the extra bulk and "sue" skull justify the 100% bump in price?  To me it's still worth the $60 I'll pay for it once it goes on sale but everyone has to answer that question for themselves.

That is my philosophy 100% it is pretty mcuh a Tyrannosaurus as much as this one. In addition, an average size Tyrannosaurus would be smaller or around the same size as most Carcharodontosaurs, so I actually think it scales even better.
Of course, I am aware the other theropods are more sparse in material and thus it is harder to determine such statistics, but a guy can dream.

A couple of months ago my son's godmother came down to visit us from San Fransisco for a weekend and she brought her 8 year old grandson with her, the boy had just lost his mom last fall in a tragic car accident and my son's godmother became his legal guardian.  He had a couple Schleich dinosaurs with him but my Zhuchengtyrannus was displayed on the shelf and it really caught his eye.  I let him hold it the first day they were here and they were leaving the next day.  He was absolutely mesmerized by the figure and I'd catch him starring at it on the shelf the next morning.  That afternoon when they were heading out I surprised him by giving it to him and he was over joyed :D  That smile was priceless, he was so happy with his new "T-rex" I didn't have the heart to tell him it was supposed to be something else, to him it looked like a T-rex LOL...  I turned around and got another one for $37 shipped and now my custom touched up one resides in San Francisco making a little boy happy, I get a little emotional thinking about the gift that little boy gave to me, he reminded me of how I used to enjoy these toys when I was his age, priceless!

ceratopsian

Such a kind and empathetic thing to do, avatar_Carnotaurus @Carnotaurus.

Concavenator

Am I the only one who thinks the new Giganotosaurus is a lot more nicely painted than this new Tyrannosaurus? Maybe it's just the patterns on it, but that's my impression. Heck, I think all 3 of the recent carcharodontosaurids are better painted. And notice how Wilson's paintjob is fairly more elaborate despite also being brown.

Don't get me wrong, if we're evaluating this as a depiction of a Tyrannosaurus, it's very good. As avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy says, it's the best lipless version on the market. However, with a genus as oversaturated as Tyrannosaurus, even this detail marks the difference. If this was another more overlooked tyrannosaurid like Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus instead, I'm confident a lot more people could live with the lack of lips (and even if they couldn't that's fine too). But when you have other versions that are otherwise equally accurate and are around the same price (or cheaper!) then you think about it. The high price tag and the sloppy paint app don't help either.

Quote from: Medzo on May 24, 2023, 10:01:19 AMSurely there's a ton of room for improvement, but PNSO is clearly striving to stay ahead of the game.

Haolonggood is ahead of PNSO when it comes to paint application. That while being more affordable. Shockingly, I could buy the Haolonggood Apatosaurus right now on AliExpress and it would still be 2 € cheaper than if I bought this Tyrannosaurus from Amazon!  :o

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 24, 2023, 07:14:19 PM

A couple of months ago my son's godmother came down to visit us from San Fransisco for a weekend and she brought her 8 year old grandson with her, the boy had just lost his mom last fall in a tragic car accident and my son's godmother became his legal guardian.  He had a couple Schleich dinosaurs with him but my Zhuchengtyrannus was displayed on the shelf and it really caught his eye.  I let him hold it the first day they were here and they were leaving the next day.  He was absolutely mesmerized by the figure and I'd catch him starring at it on the shelf the next morning.  That afternoon when they were heading out I surprised him by giving it to him and he was over joyed :D  That smile was priceless, he was so happy with his new "T-rex" I didn't have the heart to tell him it was supposed to be something else, to him it looked like a T-rex LOL...  I turned around and got another one for $37 shipped and now my custom touched up one resides in San Francisco making a little boy happy, I get a little emotional thinking about the gift that little boy gave to me, he reminded me of how I used to enjoy these toys when I was his age, priceless!
Quote from: Concavenator on May 24, 2023, 07:48:59 PMAm I the only one who thinks the new Giganotosaurus is a lot more nicely painted than this new Tyrannosaurus? Maybe it's just the patterns on it, but that's my impression. Heck, I think all 3 of the recent carcharodontosaurids are better painted. And notice how Wilson's paintjob is fairly more elaborate despite also being brown.

Don't get me wrong, if we're evaluating this as a depiction of a Tyrannosaurus, it's very good. As avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy says, it's the best lipless version on the market. However, with a genus as oversaturated as Tyrannosaurus, even this detail marks the difference. If this was another more overlooked tyrannosaurid like Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus instead, I'm confident a lot more people could live with the lack of lips (and even if they couldn't that's fine too). But when you have other versions that are otherwise equally accurate and are around the same price (or cheaper!) then you think about it. The high price tag and the sloppy paint app don't help either.

Quote from: Medzo on May 24, 2023, 10:01:19 AMSurely there's a ton of room for improvement, but PNSO is clearly striving to stay ahead of the game.

Haolonggood is ahead of PNSO when it comes to paint application. That while being more affordable. Shockingly, I could buy the Haolonggood Apatosaurus right now on AliExpress and it would still be 2 € cheaper than if I bought this Tyrannosaurus from Amazon!  :o
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 24, 2023, 07:14:19 PM

That was so wholesome, my small brother is a dinokid and he loooves all my collection . Hes always beyond gentle even when playing with the figures i had more dmg from falling after warping than him. His fav is deinocheirus as he really doesnt get how that existed and that fascinates him.

Tracewyrm!

I'm not very active here, but I might as well drop my two cents on this figure.

It is largely continuing the trend of everything PNSO has been getting criticised for for the past two years, especially as far as the museum line is concerned. It is an incredibly impressive sculpt with a comparatively shoddy paintjob and an exorbitant price tag (made marginally lighter with the addition of the ocassional small accesories and heaps of paper that no one will look at.)

Personally, I don't mind seeing another (proper, standing) T. rex, especially after PNSO's boost in scalation detail, but I can also see why people might not be as amused. The Zhuchengtyrannus is good enough (or even better) for a lot of folks and with its smaller price tag, it's easier to buy Zhucheng than pull 70$ out of your wallet for Cameron. At least, unlike the Tsintaosaurus, the new rex tries making up for its price with pure bulk.

I can absolutely see why people are growing tired of PNSO's business practices and quality control. PNSO's slow releases this year have already made the wave of Carcharodontosaurids a bit of a slog to get through and them dropping another T.rex isn't helping add variety to their collection. We seriously need more species! Ones that aren't large carnivorous theropods at that..

That being said, I will still likely reluctantly wait for a sale and pick Cameron up. I don't have particularly high standards for paint application and the liplessness (which I disagree with from a purely scientific perspective) is something I can live with. I'm sure that I will be fond of Cameron, but that doesnt make the criticism from fellow forum members any less valid.

With Haolonggood being the Collecta to PNSO's Papo, releasing figures more frequently, with brighter, more varied colour schemes and greater variety, I wonder if this will be enough of a push for PNSO to kick into high gear.

Then again, I've been saying this for a while now and the 'kick into high gear' is nowhere to be seen, maybe they'll release 5 more T. rexes and they won't need to make any more figures for the next decade, who knows.
* (It's locked.)

postsaurischian

Quote from: Medzo on May 24, 2023, 05:08:11 PMI think some of the comments are just jumping on the previous comment, this way a negative bandwagon has started against the figure.

Interesting denotation for me as a non-English language person. I see what you mean and I do agree.
Since nobody of the commentators ever had the figure in his or her hands it's not really criticism, it's more like bashing (possibly caused by the high price - PNSO's only actual mistake).
I would never judge a figure in such exquisite detail before I had it in my own hands or before I saw a photo by someone who knows how to take good pictures. I'd rather wait & see.

PNSO is definitely not the most important thing in the world and I'm always anticipating with pleasure what else there is to come in the Dinosaur figure/model world. Something new happens almost every day :D .
I admit I am at risk of losing the plot :P  ;D .

Fembrogon

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on May 24, 2023, 09:21:07 PMPersonally, I don't mind seeing another (proper, standing) T. rex, especially after PNSO's boost in scalation detail, but I can also see why people might not be as amused. The Zhuchengtyrannus is good enough (or even better) for a lot of folks and with its smaller price tag, it's easier to buy Zhucheng than pull 70$ out of your wallet for Cameron. At least, unlike the Tsintaosaurus, the new rex tries making up for its price with pure bulk.
Good grief, yeah, that Tsintaosaurus was absurdly overpriced. I have one and it's a very nice figurine, but I got it at a huge discount; I never would have bought it at full price.
The Zhuchengtyrannus was another figurine I wasn't expecting to get; but it's actually one of my favorite PNSO figures now, and much more worth the price. It's so superficially different from T. rex that it makes an easy substitute, too.

Honestly, I think Cameron looks pretty great so far - just not $70-plus great. On top of that price, I already have Zhucheng, plus the Beasts of the Mesozoic rex, plus the Safari Ltd. Dino Dana rex; and THAT's on top of the other great rexes I have in storage, which are on top of the "non-standard" rexes to boot (eg, mininfigures, vintage, the Rebor Retrosaurs). I'm all T-rex-ed out again. I don't have any need or want for another one.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on May 24, 2023, 07:48:59 PMAm I the only one who thinks the new Giganotosaurus is a lot more nicely painted than this new Tyrannosaurus? Maybe it's just the patterns on it, but that's my impression. Heck, I think all 3 of the recent carcharodontosaurids are better painted. And notice how Wilson's paintjob is fairly more elaborate despite also being brown.

Agreed. The carcharodontosaurids had paint jobs that were more visually exciting and differed from previous models, and made them stand out. Cameron here looks seriously impressive, with that increased girth, overall bulk and much better scalation. If I didn't already have Wilson I would seriously consider getting him (I prefer Cameron over Tusk and Kiss).

Haolonggood is proof that solid paint jobs and sculpts can be done and sold at an affordable price. I wonder if PNSO 1. feels like it needs to provide product differentiation via branding (fancy box, ton of paper collateral, the concept that it can be used as a DIY museum exhibit for teaching kids) as a reason to increase the price, or 2. this is simply market research (by the new CEO or otherwise) to gauge reception on how far they can go price-wise with a flagship species and model.

Either way, get it if you like it, don't get it if you don't - these companies will look at profits and if they see themselves losing to other smaller but up-and-coming competitors, they'll have to have a good think about the way moving forward.

That being said, I wonder what the market in China (their domestic market) is like. It may very well be that the sales there are massive for PNSO products, and may probably even outperform global/regional sales figures (since China is so huge). If so then that could be a reason for their continued pricing model...

Skorpio V.

I think the dental issue is something I feel is over-scrutinized so that the price can be further unjustified. The price is a huge issue, but the teeth are consistent with all of PNSO's theropod releases from this year. In that area, I think the problem is less of the paint and more of the sculpt, as Cameron's are far more sausage-like than the sharper silhouette Wilson's teeth give. That's the only thing Wilson has above Cameron other than more complex paint throughout the body, and I like the more air-brushed look of Cameron personally anyway. It's not worth $75 NOT because the paint job (which will never be the same for any two models) is inconsistent on a millimeter scale: It's not worth $75 because people pay similar prices for resin models, where this is mass-produced PVC.

I don't think Cameron is close to worth $75, but I also don't think Lucas is close to worth $60 either. Cameron is certainly their best museum line theropod and their best Tyrannosaurus, and to me, its flaws don't seem to be as major as everyone who doesn't have their hands on it yet seem to be. However, even if it did have consistently perfect paint, $75 is still too much.

My take on it is that irregardless of the overstated paint sloppiness, it was never worth its cost to begin with.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Stegotyranno420

I feel like if they REALLY wanted us to rush-buy it they would had put lips. I believe that would increase sales
Not that i think one way is superior, just general trends

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: