News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 26, 2023, 10:15:07 AM
Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on May 26, 2023, 09:22:55 AMWhich figure next you will all love to see? I would like to see a Daspletosaurus wilsoni and a Saurophaganax.

if the t rex kicks off a wave of tyrannosaurs similar to charcharos, i wanna see Gorgosaurus and daspletosaurus.

otherwise theropods : megalosaurus, dilophosaurus, ceratosaurus
nontheropods: basicly any ceratopsian or hadrosaur
others: Qutzalcoatlus PLEASE
If there is a number of tyrannosauroids coming, I would like a Daspletosaurus horneri and Bistahieversor.  Otherwise, I would like Dilophosaurus, Chasmosaurus belli, Rhamphorhynchus, Velociraptor and Hydrotherosaurus.

Quote from: Concavenator on May 26, 2023, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: Faras on May 25, 2023, 05:06:27 AMZhao mentioned having difficulties with lipped jaw articulation in Cameron vid

Well, I hope that means they're at least trying to implement lips. I still think late is better than never.
I don't understand how they have difficulties with articulated lipped jaws.  They did them very well on their museum line Yangchuanosaurus.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Faras on May 25, 2023, 05:06:27 AMZhao mentioned having difficulties with lipped jaw articulation in Cameron vid

Well, I hope that means they're at least trying to implement lips. I still think late is better than never.

You make a good point about the price though. If some people are using the Zhuchengtyrannus as a Tyrannosaurus because it's noticeably cheaper, if the Tyrannosaurus was the same price or close to it, it's logical to assume it would sell a lot more. Clearly I think this new Tyrannosaurus is overpriced, but I think it's mainly due to the fact of it being a ML release. Looks like PNSO categorizes pricing based on series and size. While overpriced, I still think this Tyrannosaurus' price is more fair than the Tsintaosaurus, which to this date still strikes me as the worst offender in this aspect by far.

When it comes to Haolongood, yeah I was referring exclusively to paint app. I also agree with PNSO being currently superior to Haolongood when it comes to anatomy (that includes accuracy too). But I still think they do a solid job nonetheless, just not perfect.

Dollar for dollar there isn't a better Tyrannosaur on the market than Zhuchengtyrannus.  The combination of pose, sculpt, paint application, scheme, color, and overall accuracy.

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 26, 2023, 03:43:30 PM

You make a good point about the price though. If some people are using the Zhuchengtyrannus as a Tyrannosaurus because it's noticeably cheaper, if the Tyrannosaurus was the same price or close to it, it's logical to assume it would sell a lot more. Clearly I think this new Tyrannosaurus is overpriced, but I think it's mainly due to the fact of it being a ML release. Looks like PNSO categorizes pricing based on series and size. While overpriced, I still think this Tyrannosaurus' price is more fair than the Tsintaosaurus, which to this date still strikes me as the worst offender in this aspect by far.

When it comes to Haolongood, yeah I was referring exclusively to paint app. I also agree with PNSO being currently superior to Haolongood when it comes to anatomy (that includes accuracy too). But I still think they do a solid job nonetheless, just not perfect.

Dollar for dollar there isn't a better Tyrannosaur on the market than Zhuchengtyrannus.  The combination of pose, sculpt, paint application, scheme, color, and overall accuracy.

The Zhuchengtyrannus can never be the best Tyrannosaur on the market when it comes to overall accuracy. Almost everything we know about Zhuchengtyrannus is highly speculative, so there's nothing to say about its accuracy to begin with. The paint application isn't very special as well and color is a very subjective trait to judge a figure by. All in all, I do agree that it's the one with the best value for money considering its price compared to PNSOs T. Rexes. But both Wilson and Cameron are made after much more complete specimens so they are definitely more accurate. 
But today, I'm just being father

TheCambrianCrusader

Actually that made me think of something. The PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus is obv based on Tyrannosaurus with how enormous and bulky it is. But is it reasonable to restore it that way given how fragmentary it is? Given how Tarbosaurus and Daspletosaurus are nowhere near as bulky as Tyrannosaurus, obv bulky in their own right but T. rex is in a league of its own, wouldn't it be more conservative to use Tarbosaurus as a base and not Tyrannosaurus?

Remko

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on May 26, 2023, 05:49:28 PMActually that made me think of something. The PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus is obv based on Tyrannosaurus with how enormous and bulky it is. But is it reasonable to restore it that way given how fragmentary it is? Given how Tarbosaurus and Daspletosaurus are nowhere near as bulky as Tyrannosaurus, obv bulky in their own right but T. rex is in a league of its own, wouldn't it be more conservative to use Tarbosaurus as a base and not Tyrannosaurus?

Might be because Zuchengtyrannus and Tyrannosaurus are extremely close relatives. T. rex originated in Asia, and was not that closely related to Daspletosautus as was originally believed.

I think I even read somewhere that it's even possible that Zuchengtyrannus and Tyrannosaurus are the same genus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuchengtyrannus

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Remko on May 26, 2023, 06:03:58 PM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on May 26, 2023, 05:49:28 PMActually that made me think of something. The PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus is obv based on Tyrannosaurus with how enormous and bulky it is. But is it reasonable to restore it that way given how fragmentary it is? Given how Tarbosaurus and Daspletosaurus are nowhere near as bulky as Tyrannosaurus, obv bulky in their own right but T. rex is in a league of its own, wouldn't it be more conservative to use Tarbosaurus as a base and not Tyrannosaurus?

Might be because Zuchengtyrannus and Tyrannosaurus are extremely close relatives. T. rex originated in Asia, and was not that closely related to Daspletosautus as was originally believed.

I think I even read somewhere that it's even possible that Zuchengtyrannus and Tyrannosaurus are the same genus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuchengtyrannus
Well isn't Tarbosaurus even closer to Tyrannosaurus? And it's another Asian tyrannosaur as well

TheCambrianCrusader

I just feel like Tarbosaurus should be the more conservative reference for Zhuchengtyrannus not Tyrannosaurus

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on May 26, 2023, 03:56:41 PM

The Zhuchengtyrannus can never be the best Tyrannosaur on the market when it comes to overall accuracy. Almost everything we know about Zhuchengtyrannus is highly speculative, so there's nothing to say about its accuracy to begin with. The paint application isn't very special as well and color is a very subjective trait to judge a figure by. All in all, I do agree that it's the one with the best value for money considering its price compared to PNSOs T. Rexes. But both Wilson and Cameron are made after much more complete specimens so they are definitely more accurate. 

Speculative as an Asian species perhaps.  BUT if looked at it as a North American T-rex toy, how speculative is it?  It's not like it has an extra toe, or  horns or anything like that...I've heard the argument of the legs being too long and not matching North American fossil finds, but were all T-rex built exactly the same way?  I'm not certain anyone can know for sure.  Outside of the leg argument is there any single thing that screams "not a T-rex"?  It's undeniable that the figures head and torso are based on North American specimens, can we at least agree on that?

I'm not criticizing PNSO when I say that they've already made one of the best T-rex figures out there for the price and dollar for dollar...I happen to like the colors and scheme on the figure, I find them a nice break from what they've done with other tyrannosaurs.  I've watched the dinosdragons review video at least ten times and even he thinks it could be a stand in for a T-rex and that's coming from an Asian man.

The Asian film "Dino King" comes to mind when I think of PNSO's last two tyrannosaur releases green vs red. And just like the film the red one is bigger and cast as the villian (higher price).  PNSO just forgot to make him with the messed up eye, LOL.

Over9K

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 26, 2023, 11:56:52 PMThe Asian film "Dino King" comes to mind when I think of PNSO's last two tyrannosaur releases green vs red. And just like the film the red one is bigger and cast as the villian (higher price).  PNSO just forgot to make him with the messed up eye, LOL.

Ok, is Dino King worth the time? YouTube keeps pushing it to me... it looks like it's deep kiddie-tainment, which is fine, just not my bag.

Faelrin

avatar_Over9K @Over9K I've watched it before. It's like the Lion King and Disney's Dinosaur had a baby in terms of plot. Not the greatest dinosaur film by any means, but it was what introduced me to Tarbosaurus way back, like in 2015 or so. Don't expect accuracy either, in regards to designs and some anachronism too. Definitely felt like a kids film, but there is an almost excessive/absurd amount of dinosaur death that might be too much for some young ones, and not just because of the protagonist being a carnivore.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Over9K on May 27, 2023, 01:56:32 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 26, 2023, 11:56:52 PMThe Asian film "Dino King" comes to mind when I think of PNSO's last two tyrannosaur releases green vs red. And just like the film the red one is bigger and cast as the villian (higher price).  PNSO just forgot to make him with the messed up eye, LOL.

Ok, is Dino King worth the time? YouTube keeps pushing it to me... it looks like it's deep kiddie-tainment, which is fine, just not my bag.

I thought it was a really goofy story. The CGI is not the best either, but because it is dinosaurs and features theropods I couldn't help watching it.  I initially had a few laughs about the whole North American T-rex portrayed like a villain deal.  It didn't bother me until later when it occurred to me that the target audience is Chinese children.  I don't think I'll ever what it again, something about that aspect of the movie almost makes it feel like political, IDK maybe I'm reading too much into it...

SRF

I misinterpreted the 10% discount on AliExpress. If one makes a purchase right now, you earn a coupon that gives a 10% discount for a next purchase. So no extra 10% off when purchasing Cameron right now.

I'll probably just take the advice of avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye and wait for a sale in June to pick up Cameron.

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 26, 2023, 11:56:52 PM

Speculative as an Asian species perhaps.  BUT if looked at it as a North American T-rex toy, how speculative is it?  It's not like it has an extra toe, or  horns or anything like that...I've heard the argument of the legs being too long and not matching North American fossil finds, but were all T-rex built exactly the same way?  I'm not certain anyone can know for sure.  Outside of the leg argument is there any single thing that screams "not a T-rex"?  It's undeniable that the figures head and torso are based on North American specimens, can we at least agree on that?

I'm not criticizing PNSO when I say that they've already made one of the best T-rex figures out there for the price and dollar for dollar...I happen to like the colors and scheme on the figure, I find them a nice break from what they've done with other tyrannosaurs.  I've watched the dinosdragons review video at least ten times and even he thinks it could be a stand in for a T-rex and that's coming from an Asian man.

The fact that PNSOs Zhuchengtyrannus resembles T. Rex so much is partially a commercial choice I think. Since all we know for sure of Zhuchengtyrannus is a couple of pieces of jaw bone, everything else is based on its closest relatives. That being Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus. So yes, it is partially based on an American Tyrannosaur, but not on a specific specimen like Wilson and Cameron.

DinosDragons does mention that the Zhuchengtyrannus can be used as a stand-in male T. Rex next to Andrea if you are able to overlook certain differences in the proportions. Aesthetically, Lu-Xiong works better in that regard than Wilson. But while he is much bulkier than Lu-Xiong, Wilson is quite gracile for a T. Rex (as it should be, since it's based on AMNH 5027). So when it comes to the torso, PNSOs Zhuchengtyrannus is too slender to represent a T. Rex, unless you look at him as a not fully grown sub adult perhaps.

TheImmortalEye

So i have a question , pnso figure decline in quality paintwise after the first run, how long till that would happen with cameron?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 27, 2023, 04:39:08 PMSo i have a question , pnso figure decline in quality paintwise after the first run, how long till that would happen with cameron?

Depends how many are made, paint mixes, ect.. I think usually a year maybe?

Quiversaurus

Quote from: SRF on May 27, 2023, 09:28:58 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 26, 2023, 11:56:52 PM

The fact that PNSOs Zhuchengtyrannus resembles T. Rex so much is partially a commercial choice I think. Since all we know for sure of Zhuchengtyrannus is a couple of pieces of jaw bone, everything else is based on its closest relatives. That being Tarbosaurus and Tyrannosaurus. So yes, it is partially based on an American Tyrannosaur, but not on a specific specimen like Wilson and Cameron.

DinosDragons does mention that the Zhuchengtyrannus can be used as a stand-in male T. Rex next to Andrea if you are able to overlook certain differences in the proportions. Aesthetically, Lu-Xiong works better in that regard than Wilson. But while he is much bulkier than Lu-Xiong, Wilson is quite gracile for a T. Rex (as it should be, since it's based on AMNH 5027). So when it comes to the torso, PNSOs Zhuchengtyrannus is too slender to represent a T. Rex, unless you look at him as a not fully grown sub adult perhaps.

Thanks for this, I didn't know AMNH 5027 was more gracile than Sue, for eg. And after learning this, I'm more inclined to keep my Wilson just as an expression of AMNH 5027, and to leave Cameron as an expression of Sue - in other words, both T.rexes can coexist/be displayed with each other (and Andrea) without there needing to be discussions about whether one should replace the other.

And now that Eofauna is also coming up with a Rex based on Sue, I guess the true comparison would be between it and Cameron!

Does anyone know if we have any models that are based on Stan or Scotty?

SRF

You're welcome avatar_Quiversaurus @quiversaurus! The very first Wilson from PNSO is based on Stan, but that one is a bit out of scale and of quite a different style compared to Winter Wilson and now Cameron. I don't think any figure is truly based on Scotty, apart from more expensive resin models and statues.

While you mentioned the upcoming Eofauna Tyrannosaurus, that one was originally announced as a T. Imperator after the paper on 3 different Tyrannosaurus species came out. This makes me wonder if PNSO originally planned on releasing Cameron as a T. Imperator as well. PNSO started developing Wilson and Andrea also well over a year before they were released.

Faelrin

Does anyone know which specimen Andrea was based on? Wondering if Andrea displays better with the new Cameron too, as it has finer scales like that on Andrea.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SRF

Quote from: Faelrin on May 27, 2023, 07:54:49 PMDoes anyone know which specimen Andrea was based on? Wondering if Andrea displays better with the new Cameron too, as it has finer scales like that on Andrea.

No specimen in particular I believe, except for the head. Andrea's head sculpt is exactly the same as Wilsons, so it's based on AMNH 5027 as well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: