News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - Hopes and Dreams

Started by Concavenator, April 22, 2023, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 28, 2023, 04:23:52 AM
Quote from: SidB on April 24, 2023, 02:34:12 PMFavorite's figures, many of them excellent, tend to be neglected or forgotten.
I think part of the reason is they make almost no effort to market outside of Japan.
That's true for a lot of Japanese lines, isn't it? I'm pretty sure we only know about the likes of Kaiyodo's minis, Bandai's kits and action figures, etc, because there's a developed international customer base explicitly looking for them. Japan seems to still be pretty insular about a lot of stuff.
(I'm of course talking specifically about prehistory merchandise, not big media IPs or anything like that)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Fembrogon on April 28, 2023, 05:29:23 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on April 28, 2023, 04:23:52 AM
Quote from: SidB on April 24, 2023, 02:34:12 PMFavorite's figures, many of them excellent, tend to be neglected or forgotten.
I think part of the reason is they make almost no effort to market outside of Japan.
That's true for a lot of Japanese lines, isn't it? I'm pretty sure we only know about the likes of Kaiyodo's minis, Bandai's kits and action figures, etc, because there's a developed international customer base explicitly looking for them. Japan seems to still be pretty insular about a lot of stuff.
(I'm of course talking specifically about prehistory merchandise, not big media IPs or anything like that)

Yeah, that's true. Kaiyodo, Kabaya, Colorata--you usually have to go to third parties like HobbyLink, HobbySearch, or Brett to get those items. Favorite is just one example.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Considering how well Haolonggood's Apatosaurus came out, I'd be interested in Haolonggood's versions of Shunosaurus, Amargasaurus and Lufengosaurus!

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2023, 04:56:16 PMConsidering how well Haolonggood's Apatosaurus came out, I'd be interested in Haolonggood's versions of Shunosaurus, Amargasaurus and Lufengosaurus!

Indeed, I honestly think they would do a great job with these species. I think the next announcement will be in early June - waiting with bated breath heh.

SidB

Hopefully PNSO can continue to issue figures in between the Haolonggood releases, but enough theropods for now!

Sim

I think it's more the other way round, hopefully Haolonggood can keep releasing figures between the PNSO releases.  I can barely contain my excitement for Haolonggood's stegosaurian, I hope they release it soon!  Besides that, I'd very much like a good Dilophosaurus.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on May 29, 2023, 07:14:33 PMI think it's more the other way round, hopefully Haolonggood can keep releasing figures between the PNSO releases.  I can barely contain my excitement for Haolonggood's stegosaurian, I hope they release it soon!  Besides that, I'd very much like a good Dilophosaurus.
Objectively what you say is true avatar_Sim @Sim, but since my focus is overwhelmingly on Haolonggood these days, subjectively it is reversed for me, especially with the massive price differential and PNSO's apparent step away from the smaller figures.

ceratopsian

I would love a Lufengosaurus, avatar_Sim @Sim. Shunosaurus would also be a good fit to my collection.

Concavenator

Amargasaurus and Shunosaurus are some of my favorite sauropodomorphs, so I would also love to have nice figures of them. I would also like a Plateosaurus, though Wild Past might release a figure of it at some point.

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on May 29, 2023, 08:51:01 PMAmargasaurus and Shunosaurus are some of my favorite sauropodomorphs, so I would also love to have nice figures of them. I would also like a Plateosaurus, though Wild Past might release a figure of it at some point.
Ah, Plateosaurus - that was the first dino that I  ever had, as a young boy. An up to date one would be most welcome and would likely retire my CollectA and Geoworld figures.

Jorgesaurus

Paleo Flo

Plateosaurus, Stegosaurus, Kentrosaurus & Wiehenvenator would be nice...
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on May 30, 2023, 12:26:38 AMStegosaurus haolonggood please

I would be so interested to see, if Haolonggood does a Stegosaurus, how it would match up against PNSO's rendition. Stegosaurus is my favourite species and personally, no other figure tops PNSO's for me, especially with the inclusion of the baby. That being said, Haolonggood's paint job would likely come out on top, though.

Quote from: Paleo Flo on May 30, 2023, 06:27:40 AMPlateosaurus, Stegosaurus, Kentrosaurus & Wiehenvenator would be nice...

Kentrosaurus please!!

Sim

I'm hoping Haolonggood's stegosaurian is Kentrosaurus, but I would also like a Stegosaurus ungulatus.  The PNSO versions are Stegosaurus stenops.  In fact, the only S. ungulatus figures that I know of is the outdated Battat versions.  S. ungulatus is bigger than S. stenops and has different proportions, including plates that are wide at the base but narrow upwards.

(Image source)

I hope you make both Kentrosaurus and Stegosaurus ungulatus at some point, V @vampiredesign  ^-^

(Image source)

Stegotyranno420

S.ungulatus is much more desirable than another S.stenops, with specues diversity and the plain fact it is larger, about 9 meter.
This species can definitely give Triceratops and Ankylosaurus a run for their money in terms of bulk. I saw a new paper/diagram showing how impressively wide Stegosaurus can be.

If Haolonggood does make S.ungulatus, i hope 1 colorscheme is the classic green woth red plates. The benefit of colour variants best applies here, with a more exotic alternative aswell.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on April 22, 2023, 07:35:50 PMAlright, since V @vampiredesign said they're paying attention to our desires as collectors, I figured I'd create a specific thread for that, so hopefully it'll be easier for them to read our suggestions instead of scrolling through the messages of the "New for X year" thread, which are (and deservedly so!) often mixed with comments about the year's releases.

I think this list might also be useful: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8531.0

What species would you like to see from Haolonggood in the future?

I'll start with my own suggestions:

Ornithischians:

Kentrosaurus
Edmontonia
Stegouros
Scutellosaurus

Kosmoceratops
Pachyrhinosaurus
Pentaceratops (granted!)

Brachylophosaurus
Maiasaura
Saurolophus
Iguanodon
Leallynasaura

Kulindadromeus

Sauropodomorphs and herrerasaurids:

Eoraptor
Plateosaurus (in case Wild Past doesn't release theirs)
Amargasaurus
Apatosaurus
Shunosaurus

Herrerasaurus

Theropods:

Austroraptor
Halszkaraptor
Zhenyuanlong or Daurlong

Sinosauropteryx

Anchiornis
Archaeopteryx

Gallimimus

Gorgosaurus
Megaraptor

Allosaurus
Asfaltovenator
Yangchuanosaurus

Dilophosaurus
Ceratosaurus

Non dinosaurs:

Shonisaurus
Plesiosaurus
Tiktaalik
Aquilolamna

Here's to hope this thread will be useful to you V @vampiredesign:)

Pachyrhinosaurus - granted!

shahinos

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Sim on May 30, 2023, 06:04:10 PMI'm hoping Haolonggood's stegosaurian is Kentrosaurus, but I would also like a Stegosaurus ungulatus.  The PNSO versions are Stegosaurus stenops.  In fact, the only S. ungulatus figures that I know of is the outdated Battat versions.  S. ungulatus is bigger than S. stenops and has different proportions, including plates that are wide at the base but narrow upwards.

(Image source)

I hope you make both Kentrosaurus and Stegosaurus ungulatus at some point, V @vampiredesign  ^-^

(Image source)

Wow thank you for this, and for the comparison image. I didn't see this earlier - I actually never knew S. ungulatus had such different-looking plates. This is fascinating. To think Stegosaurus is my favourite species...

"Stegosaurus ungulatus can be distinguished from S. stenops by the presence of longer hind limbs, proportionately smaller, more pointed plates with wide bases and narrow tips, and by several small, flat, spine-like plates just before the spikes on the tail. These spine-like plates appear to have been paired , due to the presence of at least one pair that are identical but mirrored."
( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stegosaurus )

It sounds like a combination of back plates from both Stegosaurus and Kentrosaurus! Amazing, and it would definitely be a figure I would get, if someone came up with it.

Does anyone have a paper I can refer to for more details on S. ungulatus please? (:

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Oh yes, you're right avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, that is a Stegosaurus ungulatus!  It's nice to know there's another figure of it.  It's small though so a larger accurate version would be very good.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: