News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on June 12, 2023, 04:30:13 PMI already have the Safari version but I too would prefer a 1:35 figure of it.

I would be surprised if the Pachyrhinosaurus will actually be in 1:35 scale, despite surely going to be advertised as such.

Save for Eofauna, Wild Past and PNSO, figures advertised to be in 1:35 are rarely in that scale, which is ironic.

Sim

Yes, it might not be 1:35, but bigger than that like the Haolonggood Pentaceratops is fine with me too.  I'm just usually favouring 1:35 or larger for my figures.  As I said earlier, I might keep my Safari Pachyrhinosaurus, it's extremely good, better than I thought it would be.  Before getting it I thought it looked too slim but that was just an effect of seeing it from the side, it's actually well-built.

I have to say I find some of the Haolonggood species surprising choices...  Specifically, the Nasutoceratops, Wuerhosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus.  There were already good versions of all of these and Wuerhosaurus is being reconstructed with broken plates again.  And is any that popular that a new version would be a good idea?  Maybe Pachyrhinosaurus?  It just seems like other species would have been better choices; such as Hesperosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Stegosaurus ungulatus for stegosaurians; Chasmosaurus, Kosmoceratops, Medusaceratops, Centrosaurus brinkmani, Achelousaurus for ceratopsids...  Haolonggood's other species have been excellent choices though, so I can't complain.  And vampiredesign said they did market research so they know better than me what would be a good choice of species.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of the two new figures, the Pachyrhinosaurus especially!

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim In my opinion, the odd choices have been Tianzhenosaurus and Wuerhosaurus, especially the former. Going by its description, it purportedly is fairly complete but the authors didn't bother to include any relevant graphic material, so we basically have no clue what it looked like, resulting in a generic ankylosaurine reconstruction (and yes, I know it might be Saichania, but this also isn't clear). Would've been a good chance for other well-known but overlooked ankylosaurs to take the spotlight instead, like Scolosaurus, Saichania itself or Edmontonia, to give some examples. Likewise, I think all the stegosaurids you mention would probably result in more anticipated offerings too, Kentrosaurus being particularly overdue.

In my opinion the rest of Haolonggood's choices has been great. This is also why I said they have a huge potential, because most of the species they have tackled are underrepresented. If you couple that with them being active as they plan to, we have a very exciting panorama to look forward to. That said, I can see why some may think new versions of Nasutoceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus were not that needed. It's true both have had good versions in the past, but Safari's versions of both are now retired... as is the Battat Pachyrhinosaurus. So you can't readily find those now. Other options include the CollectA Nasutoceratops and the PNSO Pachyrhinosaurus but personally I find things to dislike in both. And then there's BotM, but they're very big, pricey, and articulated.

I also want to see more of the Pachyrhinosaurus. On my list already along with the Pentaceratops too. I also want a Nasutoceratops for my collection, but in this case I can't get past Haolonggood's version inaccuracies.

Sim

Oh, I forgot to say, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, if you're looking for a good Diabloceratops, the Safari version is excellent!  I have it and I'm happy with it.

stargatedalek

At the risk of needlessly drawing this out, I think people are being needlessly aggressive over the nature of C E stamps versus CE stamps.

C E is heavily normalized within Chinese infrastructure, and it's something many manufacturers add without really being inherently aware of the full context behind the similarity. It's use doesn't inherently implicate a specific company in attempting to defraud customers and it feels inappropriately nasty to claim such.

Bread

Well here is the Wuerhosaurus!

I am really liking that dark yet striking dark variant.

TheCambrianCrusader

Aw man and I just got the vitae one...
Needless to say I really like these guys!

Bread

Also the Pachyrhinosaurus!

I will probably be picking both variants. Probably the first time I'll be doing this at once. They're both similar enough, too.

Bread

Also, regarding prices, the Pachyrhinosaurus will be $18.99 and the Wuerhosaurus will be $16.99

With these prices, even without sales, it most certainly justifies myself purchasing once released. ;D

Stegotyranno420

why couldn't the Apatosaurus be this cheap haha  :'(

TlatolophusJuanorum

Oh my wallet, with these recent releases is getting harder not to succumb every month on buying more than one figure. Love both! But as a Thyreophora fan, (and regretting recently buying Vitae's) those Wuerhosaurus are a must!
And well... As the Pachys remind me much of Disney's Dinosaur ones, they'll be a fine addition to my collection  :))
It seems that AliExpress Summer Sale is going to be a Haolonggood-overall update alongside Navy penta haha

BlueKrono

Quote from: Bread on June 13, 2023, 03:15:38 AMAlso, regarding prices, the Pachyrhinosaurus will be $18.99 and the Wuerhosaurus will be $16.99

With these prices, even without sales, it most certainly justifies myself purchasing once released. ;D

I just hope they don't rise steadily like PNSO's did. $70? No thanks.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

thedeadlymoose

I wish the Pachyrhinosaurus had more distinct variants, like the great Nasutoceratops and the fantastic Ouranosaurus. Feels like a missed opportunity, especially since both are drab. (Not even color splashes on the nose boss or frill?)

Still, well done.

I'm excited to see the Wuerhosaurus! I do love the species, and I like the contrast between the variants.

Carnoking

Will definitely be getting a pachyrhinosaurus at some point. The wuherosaurus is underwhelming me in the paint department. Looks like a kid added the stripes with some crayola markers  :P
Still, for 17 bucks? It's good enough!

Gwangi

Alright, I'm officially jumping ship. These are so much more exciting than anything by PNSO this year and Hoalonggood is definitely taking priority. I was wavering back and forth over the PNSO tyrannosaurs but my excitement for these
makes me forget all about them. I have limited dinosaur funds and Haolonggood will be the one getting my money.

Offhand, I have to say that this is the best Pachyrhinosaurus ever.

Faelrin

I don't think I've seen green used with Pachyrhinosaurus before. Pretty interesting. Nice patterns on the frill. I don't have a figure of this genus yet, so I'm quite tempted. I think it would perhaps look nice alongside the recent Safari Ltd Albertosaurus, if not the recently revealed/leaked PNSO one. The Wuerhosaurus has very nice color variants too. Something about it feels familiar to me, but I can't quite place my finger on why it does? More so the grey one.

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek I never thought about it that way earlier, that it could simply be out of ignorance, or any other various reasons, and not particularly just of malice, that they do that. It's unfortunate some of the bad apples out there has jaded my views on this. You and avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor have raised great points, and made me challenge my thinking previously, and I commend you both doing so. I'll be honest, being autistic (and some of my unfortunate upbringing exposing me to bad character traits) makes it hard for me to think outside of black and white extremes (despite the autism spectrum I fall into being much more like the grey in between, if it can be compared to such).

Back to the figures. Honestly I find it very interesting how many herbivores Haolonggood has done this year. Not a single theropod in sight. I commend them for taking such risks. Although they exist on their own, they are filling in the gaps left behind by PNSO, and others this year (even if some are returning genera), if not from last year as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Wuerhosaurus looks like it needs a wash or something? Seems like the colors aren't blending as well as on other pieces?

Pachyrhinosaurus looks fine, better than the PNSO to me. Any ideas on why the goat-like eyes? I've seen them on another Pachyrhino sculpture as well.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Bread on June 13, 2023, 03:13:33 AMAlso the Pachyrhinosaurus!

I will probably be picking both variants. Probably the first time I'll be doing this at once. They're both similar enough, too.

These Pachyrhinosauruses look fantastic. Really liking the colouration and the complexity of the patterning. Everything seems to blend together so well. The green, especially, is standing out to me as a winner - the mottling of the stripes towards the upper back are different from the more defined lines on the red/orange variant too. The rectangular irises are also pretty unique, and somehow they... fit. Veryyy interesting, Haolonggood!

The Wuerhosauruses look great too, really like the purple/blue variant, though I must agree with avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon - they look like they're missing a wash. The colours and patterning don't seem as cohesive as the Pachys (or previous models, for that matter). I think a wash would help the striping look more blended in.

All in all though, definitely not complaining. Totally agree with avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin that Haolonggood are taking a risk with making so many herbivores, but I'm really glad that they're "filling in the gaps left behind by PNSO". avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi don't write PNSO off yet! I believe the models from both companies can look terrific together on a shelf (:

Lastly, on that note about making species that already have good models by avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator : I wonder if Haolonggood is remaking these species in their style so that collectors who want to collect only models from one company can do so, without branching into others perhaps... An interesting point though!

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Bread on June 13, 2023, 03:13:33 AMAlso the Pachyrhinosaurus!

ok i 180 on these, used to think the pnso was so good these were lame, seing them , theire ngl my fav of haolonggood, the texture and scalework is amazing and i looooove the goateyes

ceratopsian

What does "ngl" mean??

The green Pachyrhinosaurus is the stand-out for me of the four new ones. But I like the brown very much too and think they would display well together.

Unlike many of you, I like the squiggly stripes on the Wuerhosaurus. As the forum teaches us everyday, tastes vary!  I would have preferred the snout perhaps not to be the pale base colour but that is a tiny concern for me. I'm currently attracted more to the dark variant but I'll mull it over for a few days. I won't be able to order immediately anyway as we will be on holiday for a few days  early next month and I have to get the parcel arrival timing right!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: