News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

It reminds me a lot of the Battat Dacentrurus. It could also be miragaia, replacing their Carnegie version.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Fembrogon

That tail is definitely similar - though not identical - to the 2010 Kentrosaurus sculpt. It has to be a stegosaur. I'm excited to find out which one!

Flaffy

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 08, 2023, 01:14:24 AMThat tail is definitely similar - though not identical - to the 2010 Kentrosaurus sculpt. It has to be a stegosaur. I'm excited to find out which one!

If it turns out to be a repaint of that sculpt, it would be rather unfortunate. As pointed out in the DTB review, the tail spikes are positioned too close to each other and end far too early on the tail. I count an odd number of spikes in the teaser too, 4 pairs and one singular one at the end (may very well be a mispainted tail tip), not dissimilar to the original 2010 figure.

Bread

I hope for a Kentrosaurus. Especially since Haolonggood basically said not possible at the moment.

Haolonggood has a beautifully done Wuerhosaurus and Dancentrurus.

PNSO have a nicely done Miragaia. Although a bit on the large side scale wise. A nice ~1/35 would be neat, too.

bmathison1972

I hope it's not Dancentrurus as I just ordered the one from Haolonggood LOL. Kentrosaurus would be nice; I don't have that genus yet.

Oh, and the 'mammal butt' looks like a domestic dog

Stegotyranno420

Its a bit funny seeing people say they don't want a dacentrurus because there are already good options. just a month ago I thought I would never see that  ;)

Jose S.M.

I'm starting to think it's a reissue of the old one. The tail looks very similar to me.

Saarlooswolfhound

Hmm... a fantasy critter(?), Bobtail cat, and a mermaid are my guesses for the other 3.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Now that you mention it, it almost looks like it has that extra spike on the tip of its tail like the previous Safari version. Perhaps a Dino Dana figure?

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Jorgesaurus

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

Spoiler
[close]

Stegosaur              Tentacles (Cephalopod?)

Shiba                      Fish tail or hovering bird, Hummingbird? Kingfisher?

Chasmosaurus

I really hope it's a kentrosaurus and that Doug Watson made it.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 08, 2023, 03:01:12 AMI'm starting to think it's a reissue of the old one. The tail looks very similar to me.
I don't think so, the tip of the old model's tail extends pretty far beyond the last pair of thagomizers while this new one has a pair pretty close to the tip.
I guess there's a chance it could be a retool but Safari hasn't retooled a figure since the Carnegie days. Pretty confident it's brand new

Halichoeres

This is my Safari Kentrosaurus tail, taken at the closest angle I could get to the teaser shot. Allowing for some differences in the angle of the spines because the plastic is pliable, I think this is the same mold. The tail tip is erroneously painted as a spike. In both photos, you can see that the tip has ridges sculpted into it, which the spikes do not.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

The teaser tail is awfully bright...

bmathison1972

Under the assumption it is the same sculpt, and I am guessing it's not, how accurate would that make Kentrosaurus given the current understanding of the species?

Sim

I'm really hoping the longest projection near the tail end in the teaser is a tail spike, it makes no sense for a stegosaurian to have the tail projecting past the tail spikes.  Halichoeres's photo does seem to suggest it's a repaint of the old Safari Kentrosaurus though.  If the tail projects past the tail spikes I'm not getting the figure.  Haolonggood's Dacentrurus came close to doing that, but its tail stopped at what I feel is a plausible maximum, so I bought that figure.  I would have preferred longer terminal spikes on it, but it's good enough for me.  There is a need for a good Kentrosaurus figure, the Schleichs are cartoony, the old Safari has an inaccurate arrangement of spines and isn't painted well, and the CollectA has all of these problems.

SidB

I'd like it to be 1/35, but I'm doubtful of that unless it's a repaint of the old 1/40. Otherwise it is such a small figure that Safari would probably go with a bigger scale.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 08, 2023, 06:34:25 PM

This is my Safari Kentrosaurus tail, taken at the closest angle I could get to the teaser shot. Allowing for some differences in the angle of the spines because the plastic is pliable, I think this is the same mold. The tail tip is erroneously painted as a spike. In both photos, you can see that the tip has ridges sculpted into it, which the spikes do not.

Common problem for Safari it seems. My Carnegie Microraptor has a claw painted on the end of the alula, making it look like it has 4 fingers  ;D
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: