News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Collection Thread

Started by SidB, March 17, 2023, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Moving on to the 2013 (Kinto) Favorite releases, we see a quite different approach taken to design by Araki. As we've seen so far. Favorite "favors" conventional choices to the selection of their dinosaur releases in their main "soft" line, though that will change for the museum exclusives, which I'll show later. For now, the 2013's:

TooOldForDinosaurs

This shelf looks great! Really excited to see your museum exclusives!  :)

SidB

Those exclusives weren't the cheapest, but they are excellent - coming down the highway soon!

SidB

Quote from: SidB on August 19, 2023, 01:40:17 PMMoving on to the 2013 (Kinto) Favorite releases, we see a quite different approach taken to design by Araki. As we've seen so far. Favorite "favors" conventional choices to the selection of their dinosaur releases in their main "soft" line, though that will change for the museum exclusives, which I'll show later. For now, the 2013's:

First, Araki's interpretation of the rex, in unfeathered and feathered versions:

unfeathered

unfeathered color variant

unfeathered custom

feathered version

His Allosaurus. Note how slim it is over against Oda's 2004 one

The thinness, almost an emaciation, seen from the dorsal view. I think that this figure more than any cemented the stereotype of Araki's work.

Allosaurus color variant

Velociraptor, replaces the 2004 Deinonychus

SidB

Next batch of Favorite's 2013 releases:

Araki's trike. I've always thought this to be an unusual rendition, far too lean. Compare it to Odo's 2004 Triceratops. Perhaps Araki didn't account for the gastralia.

a variant

Stegosaurus

Stego variant

the beautiful and graceful Parasaurolophus

Araki's Styracosaurus - displays well with Odo's

ceratopsian

While I agree the Triceratops is too lean, I didn't think this group actually had gastralia?

That is an exhaustive collection of Favorites and must have taken some tracking down.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 24, 2023, 08:55:17 PMWhile I agree the Triceratops is too lean, I didn't think this group actually had gastralia?

That is an exhaustive collection of Favorites and must have taken some tracking down.

That's a good point, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian . I made a hasty assumption. It just looks like something is missing, or that the legs are stilts.

SidB

Quote from: SidB on August 24, 2023, 11:39:25 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on August 24, 2023, 08:55:17 PMWhile I agree the Triceratops is too lean, I didn't think this group actually had gastralia?

That's a good point, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian . I made a hasty assumption. It just looks like something is missing, or that the legs are stilts.
You're quite right, it seems that only basal heterodontisaurid orithischians in this group possessed gastralia. Learn something every day!

ceratopsian

I had made exactly the same assumption too until I learnt from a palaeontologist from the NHM a few years ago that "Sophie's" gastralia were not missing but simply never present. 

SidB

Now for the last third of the 2013's, all replacements for the 2004 releases, of course. Favorite's 'soft' line is very conservative.

The Pteranodon

A color variant

The excellent Ankylosaurus, replacing the 2004 one, which, though well-sculpted, was not this genus, but a chimera

The Brachiosaurus

Araki's lean and mean Spinosaurus, which because of its date can't reflect the latest findings for this genus

Spinosaurus color variant

The Plesiosaurus, which according to Dr. Admin's review, is closer to Cryptoclidus, actually

SidB

Taking a step back from the Favorite Companies plentiful offerings in 2013, I'll present these two from 2012. Sculpted in the 1/35 range by Hirokazu Tokugawa for the Osaka Museum of Natural History, we have their Tarbosaurus and, quite uniquely a Saurolophus, both of which you can check out here:

Tarbosaurus

Saurolophus

Together

Skorpio V.

I would love for another company to release a new Saurolophus! My favourite ornithopod by a longshot and it's only represented in the rarest offerings, this Favorite one, Kanna resin modles, and the Sega Dinosaur King toys.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

SidB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on August 27, 2023, 08:03:56 PMI would love for another company to release a new Saurolophus! My favourite ornithopod by a longshot and it's only represented in the rarest offerings, this Favorite one, Kanna resin modles, and the Sega Dinosaur King toys.
Yes, after 11 years, a replacement seems overdue. Plus, this one certainly isn't easy to come by, nor is it inexpensive. It appears to be overshadowed by its relative, the Parasaurolophus.

SidB

In 2014, Favorite released these figures in or around the 1/40 scale mark - a boxed set of a Concavenator with a Pelicanimimus and also a Tambatitanis. The former two are by Kazunari Araki, the latter by Hirokazu Tokugawa:

The Pelicanimimus is an unique little figure. Like some of the Favorite figures with a plastic base, the concept was good, but the execution not so much, the base being ineffectual.
These pieces were soon followed later in the year with the Prehistoric Life Set, to be shown next on this thread.

SidB

Straddling the calendar years 2014-15, Favorite introduced the "Prehistoric Life Set", six of which I own and show here:

Archelon

Dunkleosteus

Dimetrodon

Otodus megalodon

Smilodon

Wooly Mammoth

Halichoeres

The Prehistoric Life line is my favorite from Favorite. I know not everybody loves Tokugawa's style, but I find it beautifully restrained and understated.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 31, 2023, 04:59:23 PMThe Prehistoric Life line is my favorite from Favorite. I know not everybody loves Tokugawa's style, but I find it beautifully restrained and understated.
Quite! Now I probably need to track down the ones missing from my collection.

SidB

Continuing into 2015, the Favorite Company commissioned Araki to make these two iconic Japanese dinosaurs for the Fukui Prefectural Museum shop:

Fukuisaurus (1/20) and Fukuiraptor (1/25)

The distinctive Araki shrink-wrapping

The bases really do their job well with these figures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Despite the shrink-wrapping the Fukuisaurus is a very good looking figure! It's new to me and I like it a lot :)

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on September 02, 2023, 03:35:37 PMDespite the shrink-wrapping the Fukuisaurus is a very good looking figure! It's new to me and I like it a lot :)
It caught my attention with its really good production values and its uniqueness (at that time, especially).The shrink-wrapping apparently still has its fans in the land of the rising sun, apparently, though I do believe that Araki has reduced the degree of this, as should be evident when I post images of his work five or so years later.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: