News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, August 26, 2023, 10:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cretaceous Crab

Wow....I mean, wow.  :o

Like......um, who is giving the green light on this swill?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Typical Schleich phoning it in again. " Hey guys, make some dinosaur things. Hangs up. "

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Takama on August 27, 2023, 01:41:48 AMI cant bealive im the only one who sees this, but

Why do i get the feeling that the Concavenator Ripped off the Carnegie Collction version?

That was my first thought as well. Between the pose and the way the hump was restored as being more sail-like.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Mellow Stego

The Moros looks like it could've been great, but the legs (two heels?) and face (human teeth?)really dooms it.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

thomasw100

Long gone are the days of the Replica Saurus line. These were quite good for the time. And in creating these they worked with people from the Natural History Museum in Berlin. Not any more.

CarnotaurusKing

The Bajadasaurus is honestly really good, just wish it had the ligamentous sail.
The Allosaurus is pretty good, just needs the larger thumb claw and smaller feet.
The Stegosaurus is decent, if a bit pudgy, but ultimately unremarkable.
The Concavenator looks decent from the knees up, but overall a dud due to the frail, unguligrade legs. Better than Papo's at least, though that's obviously not high praise.
The Moros is DOA, it's in the running for Schleich's worst figure alongside their Acrocanthosaurus and Cryolophosaurus. It could work, along with Papo's Concavenator, as a medieval bestiary-style depiction of a dinosaur, but beyond that it's insalvageable.

Shame we didn't get the figures which were rumored a while back. Would've been interesting to see a Mamenchisaurus, Shonisaurus or Sinosauropteryx from them.

PrimevalRaptor

Man seeing those in-hand pics make me almost sad, wish the red was a bit more blended but that is one of Schleichs best recent sculpts...until you see the limbs, those really feel phoned in.

suspsy

I'm surprised no one has yet commented on the Concavenator's lack of quills.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lynx

Quote from: Flaffy on August 27, 2023, 03:45:32 AM
Quote from: Lynx on August 27, 2023, 03:27:19 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on August 27, 2023, 01:09:23 AM
Quote from: Lynx on August 27, 2023, 12:39:06 AMI'm shocked by the negativity to the Concavenator, it was the best of the bunch for me

I'm not. The ungulitigrade stance is inexcusable.

what does that mean
It just looks like the usual clown feet, how is this more inexcusable than half the figures on the market?

A simple Google search goes a long way, though I do apologise for the minor spelling error.

The Concavenator's hindlimbs literally has an extra joint that should not be there. (same goes for the Moros and last year's Edmontosaurus). The image below depicts a plantigrade, digitgrade and unguligrade stance. Basic biology that any competent sculptor would've noticed and corrected. The WWD Tyrannosaurus suffers from a similar error for reference.

I know you personally give Schleich a lot of leeway and that's fine, but I don't think it's unfair for other people to call out Schleich's nonesense when the situation inevidebly arises year after year. Even Mattel doesn't stoop this low.

I wasn't aware of this and wasn't trying to call anyone out, none of my messages implied this either, I was surprised as it was the best of the lot at first glance and, again, wasn't aware of this issue.

I do give them leeway, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to "call others out"?
An oversized house cat.

SidB

I haven't bought a Schleich since the Styracosurus, but I might just get this Stegosaurus and especially the Bajadasaurus. I like their heftiness - reminds me of Doug Watson's creations. The epoch of 1990's heroin chique (chic) is done, finished.

Nanuqsaurus

There's just so much going on with that Moros... I'm wonder what they were thinking when they were designing it. Why does it have two ankles? Why does it have human teeth? And I'm really no expert but the shape of the skull seems just so wrong is every way. It's so bizarre that I don't know which emotions to feel when looking at it.

The Bajadasaurus actually looks surprisingly decent though, I might want to get it later.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on August 27, 2023, 03:41:49 AMMoros looks like a Hensons Dinosaurs remake in the 2010s
You dont have the right to diss peak
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Quiversaurus

Stegosaurus and Bajadasaurus are the clear standouts for me. The rest are... well there are enough comments about the Concavenator and the Moros...

Edit: The Allosaurus' pose reminds me of PNSO's Nick the Ceratosaurus hmm.

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on August 27, 2023, 12:55:53 PMI wasn't aware of this and wasn't trying to call anyone out, none of my messages implied this either, I was surprised as it was the best of the lot at first glance and, again, wasn't aware of this issue.

I really don't understand what you're getting at, I never implied you were calling anyone out. PLease read my post again.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on August 27, 2023, 12:55:53 PMI do give them leeway, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to "call others out"?
I am pretty sure that what avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy means is others have the right to call out the issues Schleich constantly seems to reproduce. Whether it be negative or not.
Not that you are calling out others for it.

Yeah I generally agree with everyone's consensus. Pass on all of them, even if Bajadasaurus is barely a step in the right direction, they seem to go even backwards with other releases like the Concavenator.

I find it always so strange that Schleich out of all the companies, besides now Haolonggood, has the most colorful yet still plausible lineup after lineup with their models. I give credit where credit is due. At least this is in my opinion.

Lynx

Quote from: Flaffy on August 27, 2023, 03:00:37 PM
Quote from: Lynx on August 27, 2023, 12:55:53 PMI wasn't aware of this and wasn't trying to call anyone out, none of my messages implied this either, I was surprised as it was the best of the lot at first glance and, again, wasn't aware of this issue.

I really don't understand what you're getting at, I never implied you were calling anyone out. PLease read my post again.

That was my mistake, it was early and I didn't read it right
An oversized house cat.

Libraraptor

Apart from the Bajadasaurus, I dislike them all.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Bread on August 27, 2023, 03:03:35 PMPass on all of them, even if Bajadasaurus is barely a step in the right direction, they seem to go even backwards with other releases like the Concavenator.

The steps forward and steps back are undeniably because of different sculptors, you can tell by the theropods' legs. The funky ones everyone shares disdain for have the unguligrade anatomy and toe claws that stick out, and the Moros and Concavenator share this. The sculpts that have regular legs and accurate feet having foot pads are shared by the Allosaurus, newer Tyrannosaurus, and Tarbosaurus for certain. Some are difficult to tell but I think going by the arm and torso anatomy that the young Giganotosaurus, young Tyrannosaurus, Baryonyx, Pachycephalosaurus, and Majungasaurus have the same sculptor. There's also the Barapasaurus and Brachiosaurus that look to have the same sculptor. I'm guessing the saggy Amargasaurus and Brontosaurus share another sculptor. And obviously the stellar Tawa and Psittacosaurus are both by Vlad Konstantinov.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Sim

The Concavenator looks very nice to me apart from the feet which are terrible.  If it's just one sculptor who keeps making dinosaurs unguligrade (e.g. Moros, Concavenator, Edmontosaurus) I hope someone tells them its wrong as I think they have the potential to make very nice figures.  The Concavenator shows that imo.  I think the sculptor of the Moros is the same as that of the Gallimimus, the feathers look very similar.

I don't understand all the praise for the Bajadasaurus.  It's okay, but it's like Schleich's Agustinia, outdated.  The neck spines supported a sail, Schleich actually got this right on their Amargasaurus, unfortunately that figure looked like trash.  So Schleich is taking a step backwards with their Bajadasaurus.  It's annoying that good figures of Amargasaurus and Bajadasaurus lack the sail, while poor figures of Amargasaurus have the sail.  It feels like a waste to keep getting these sauropod figures that flop.  Why couldn't Schleich make a Shunosaurus instead, that wouldn't have had a sail to mess up.

The Stegosaurus looks good, but I don't need another good S. stenops, I already have two.  It will be good for Schleich though.  Schleich appears to have gotten good at thyreophorans, I'd like more from Schleich, preferably ones that lack a good figure.

The Allosaurus is nonsense.

Stegotyranno420

The sail vs spines thing changes every 5-10 years right?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: