News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Eatmycar on September 02, 2023, 06:22:04 PMBut I still... idk. It's the lips, man. I'd pick Safari's Carnotaurus over this because of that. I also like that the Safari one seems more thick as well.
The lack of lips on Haolonggood's recent carnivores is something interesting to talk about.  I would like to contribute that the 1:18 Creative Beast Velociraptor, Linheraptor and Dromaeosaurus have lips and an articulated jaw and are surely smaller than Haolonggood's 1:35 theropods.  So lips on these smaller figures can be done.  It might just be a case of the teeth being covered mostly or completely by lips.

Quote from: Eatmycar on September 02, 2023, 06:22:04 PMActually, the more I think about it the more I dislike it. The color options could be more dramatic, for one. I feel this is far too conservative on *both* paint jobs. I mean a red-brown on Carnotaurus? Wow. What's next?

Red plates on a green Stegosaurus?

Sincerely, an entirely brown animal would be more distinct than red on Carnotaurus to avoid that boring trope.
I find the colourations of Haolonggood's Carnotaurus to be fine.  I actually very much like the grey one as it reminds me of my previously favourite Carnotaurus, the Battat Terra version.  The Haolonggood looks great in grey in my opinion and it has become my new favourite Carnotaurus.
There are people on this forum which like red plates on a green Stegosaurus!

I've bought the Haolonggood grey Carnotaurus!  I've also bought both colour versions of the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus as my Safari version has no longer been satisfying me and I didn't want to wait for the chance Haolonggood releases a Pachyrhinosaurus with circular pupils any more.  I'm going to try to customise the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus to have circular pupils!

Stegotyranno420

E @Eatmycar I don't understand what is the problem with repeated tropes. Stegosaurs with green bodies and red plates are common because they LOOK GOOD and are classic, and there are plenty of other options too.

Besides, it is just lips. They are very easy to add, so is colouration.
Personally I think it is more progressive to learn modification rather than hear the same complaint over and over. Nothing personal, but everytime a theropod is revealed theres a war cry of people who wish for lips. I get you are only pointing it out, but its tiresome at this point.
I am not even against lips.

Quiversaurus

The grey version stands out more to me. I feel it would stand out on a shelf of predoinantly figures in browns and stripes - similar perhaps to how PNSO's Meraxes would.

I agree that the reddish/brown colour for Carnotaurus is very common, but hey, I'm sure it's a sure-fire way to get support/sales from people who like (echoes of/inspiration from) the JP/JW franchise. As always, get it if you like it, don't get it if you don't...

Always great to see a new release from HLG, and I'm always up for pleasant surprises; I expected either the Dilophosaurus or the Megaraptor next. Keep it up, V @vampiredesign !

Concavenator

Quote from: Quiversaurus on September 02, 2023, 07:24:41 PMI expected either the Dilophosaurus or the Megaraptor next.

This is what V @vampiredesign said:

Quote from: vampiredesign on August 02, 2023, 11:26:55 AMDilophosaurus Still modifying the design,Not yet, there are many new products ahead of it。Don't worry, there are many other toys in the middle.
Kentrosaurus It's too small, so I chose it Dacentruruses,I hope to meet your expectations.

So maybe it will be a while until that Dilophosaurus is released? I don't know...

Worth addressing is how that WIP of the Dilophosaurus did in fact have lips! Granted, we haven't seen the final design yet, but lips were there, while (I'm assuming) being a smaller figure. Sure, maybe it won't have an articulated jaw, but it seems pretty clear the majority of people favor lips over the presence of an articulated jaw (which sometimes doesn't even work that well or even spoils the sculpt). I still hope the final Dilophosaurus product will have lips (and the Megaraptor... and just all the non-beaked theropods lol). As avatar_Sim @Sim says, it is indeed possible for a small figure to both have lips and an articulated jaw, if there's a need for the latter, that is, as those small BotM dromaeosaurids show.

To me it looks like the Dilophosaurus and the Megaraptor are taking their time, but this is completely welcome for me, as they're also their best two theropods yet if you ask me.

I'm not a fan of those vertical folds over the mouth E @edu mentioned.

When lips are concerned, I hope the Dilophosaurus is an indicator that future Haolonggood theropods will have lips. The complaints about lips may be tiresome, but it really is something I don't understand. Even before Cullen 2023 lips made more sense, and even after that, we are still seeing figures of lipless theropods, even after years of people complaining about this every single time a new carnivorous theropod is released (mind you: very frequently). Just why not add lips and all these complaints will stop? It's seriously puzzling. Personally, lack of lips per se is not a dealbreaker for me, if an otherwise nice theropod figure lacks lips and it's a species I'm interested in, I will still plan on getting it (at least until an equally good and lipped version comes along), but obviously, I'd rather it has lips to begin with. Just, what's the point?  :P For example, Eofauna was also criticised for this with their Giganotosaurus, and now their Tyrannosaurus has lips, that's good. I'm not necessarily involving Haolonggood here, it's just that I find it surprising this Carnotaurus lacks lips while the Dilophosaurus will apparently have.

This is one of the rarer situations (for me) where I think it'll be worth it to spend more and get the more accurate and up-to date Cyberzoic Carnotaurus, despite also being more space-consuming. Nonetheless, improvements are improvements and this certainly is an improvement over Haolonggood's Allosaurus and PNSO's Carnotaurus, and so I applaud V @vampiredesign for that. This is probably a skip for me, but nonetheless I have some Haolonggood stuff to catch up on... plus surely the upcoming Dilophosaurus and Megaraptor too (and who knows what else), so I guess my wallet will thank me for that.

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 02, 2023, 07:22:15 PMBesides, it is just lips. They are very easy to add, so is colouration.
I understand what you are saying, but it's not easy for everyone. Plus then the blending of colors is again another task to learn.

You can ask all of the well-known artist from various social media sites who perform this modification. It took trial and error, and a lot of patience. Not everyone can do this, including myself. That's why others like myself have commissions through these various artist.

I am one of those who complain about the lips not being present on stock figures, and I even send them off to get lips + repaint. I find the complaints valid because it is quite a cost.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on September 02, 2023, 06:38:23 PM
Quote from: Eatmycar on September 02, 2023, 06:22:04 PMBut I still... idk. It's the lips, man. I'd pick Safari's Carnotaurus over this because of that. I also like that the Safari one seems more thick as well.
The lack of lips on Haolonggood's recent carnivores is something interesting to talk about.  I would like to contribute that the 1:18 Creative Beast Velociraptor, Linheraptor and Dromaeosaurus have lips and an articulated jaw and are surely smaller than Haolonggood's 1:35 theropods.  So lips on these smaller figures can be done.  It might just be a case of the teeth being covered mostly or completely by lips.

Quote from: Eatmycar on September 02, 2023, 06:22:04 PMActually, the more I think about it the more I dislike it. The color options could be more dramatic, for one. I feel this is far too conservative on *both* paint jobs. I mean a red-brown on Carnotaurus? Wow. What's next?

Red plates on a green Stegosaurus?

Sincerely, an entirely brown animal would be more distinct than red on Carnotaurus to avoid that boring trope.
I find the colourations of Haolonggood's Carnotaurus to be fine.  I actually very much like the grey one as it reminds me of my previously favourite Carnotaurus, the Battat Terra version.  The Haolonggood looks great in grey in my opinion and it has become my new favourite Carnotaurus.
There are people on this forum which like red plates on a green Stegosaurus!

I've bought the Haolonggood grey Carnotaurus!  I've also bought both colour versions of the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus as my Safari version has no longer been satisfying me and I didn't want to wait for the chance Haolonggood releases a Pachyrhinosaurus with circular pupils any more.  I'm going to try to customise the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus to have circular pupils!

That's not a great comparison as those jaws also have major quality issues, as someone who owns the tiny BOTM figures, and also have details/teeth majorly reduced due to such. I think HLG wants to keep said details, thus the lack of lips.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

I was able to get the three BotM 1:18 dromaeosaurids without major quality problems.  I don't know how widespread any quality problems are though.

Faelrin

avatar_Lynx @Lynx If you have any quality control problems I'd highly suggest taking it up with David. He's got great customer service for this sort of thing. Each time I ran into problems, I reached out to him. Thankfully in most cases they were things I could fix at home (such as warped jaws, etc).

I think it is also worth noting out those figures were downsized from their larger 1/6 counterparts, which had the lips and teeth initially sculpted for that size. They may have been revised as a result of the downsizing, but definitely different sculpting circumstances that probably what Haolonggood is doing with theirs.

Aside from CollectA recently, I think Safari Ltd is the only one sculpting theropods with lips in this general 1/35 (give or take) size range (post 2019 releases, except Baryonyx and Spinosaurus), particularly those from Doug Watson. I think if Doug can pull it off for things like his Allosaurus, Albertosaurus, etc, all with open mouths (albeit no articulation), then I see no reason Haolonggood cannot do it either, unless the initial sculpts are of a small size and not decreased during production (such as what may happen with the upcoming Safari Ltd Therizinosaurus, or again those BotM 1/18 small raptors, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bread on September 02, 2023, 10:05:46 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 02, 2023, 07:22:15 PMBesides, it is just lips. They are very easy to add, so is colouration.
I understand what you are saying, but it's not easy for everyone. Plus then the blending of colors is again another task to learn.

You can ask all of the well-known artist from various social media sites who perform this modification. It took trial and error, and a lot of patience. Not everyone can do this, including myself. That's why others like myself have commissions through these various artist.

I am one of those who complain about the lips not being present on stock figures, and I even send them off to get lips + repaint. I find the complaints valid because it is quite a cost.

My point was less complaining more innovation. Sure it may be hard at first, but it never hurts to learn. Nowadays in all situations people tend to think their problems will be fixed by constant acknowledgement of the issue rather than devising ways to combat it themselves. I am not anti lips, but I don't take the lips paper as Gospel for the current moment, so presence or absence is not my problem. Lips are not as big as a problem as clownfeet or bad scalation.
I almost want to do a tutorial video on how to make lips for theropod models so people will learn instead of complaining constantly, every single time.

SidB

CarnotaurusKing

This may be the best Carnotaurus available. Tail looks a bit shrimpy but I'll wait for further pictures.

SidB

Quote from: vampiredesign on August 02, 2023, 11:26:55 AMDilophosaurus Still modifying the design,Not yet, there are many new products ahead of it。Don't worry, there are many other toys in the middle.
Kentrosaurus It's too small, so I chose it Dacentruruses,I hope to meet your expectations.
I'm taking this to mean that we can also hope for some herbivores before too much longer. I think that this is important as PNSO doesn't seem to show any signs of interrupting their theropod parade, what with the new Megalosaurus and now the Yangchuanosaurus.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on September 03, 2023, 06:53:18 PM
I'm taking this to mean that we can also hope for some herbivores before too much longer. I think that this is important as PNSO doesn't seem to show any signs of interrupting their theropod parade, what with the new Megalosaurus and now the Yangchuanosaurus.

What PNSO is doing this year feels like the long march of the theropods. It is more than a year that they released anything else. But Haolonggood has served us really well this year. Hopefully that giant Alamosaurus will materialize.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 03, 2023, 07:40:27 PM
Quote from: SidB on September 03, 2023, 06:53:18 PM

What PNSO is doing this year feels like the long march of the theropods. It is more than a year that they released anything else. But Haolonggood has served us really well this year. Hopefully that giant Alamosaurus will materialize.

Something I would not hesitate to buy.

PoptartDoodle

I can forgive the lack of the splint-like digit iv, cornified covering on the face, and lips.
I don't think I can get past the tail, especially when the body was sculpted so thick, it looks too awkward.
This was actually the Abelisaurid I was hoping Haolonggood would tackle, I hope they try another one like Rajasaurus or Majungasaurus, perhaps even Aucasaurus.

vampiredesign

Lips are too challenging, and achieving production in terms of size is very challenging. In fact, the model design of this product was already completed in March. I have been solving several problems, including lips, teeth, mouth, chin, standing (not soft).
I don't know how to say or translate many professional production process terms in English.
Many also involve cost issues, and often try to control and lower costs as much as possible, so that products can be cheaper. But we have indeed achieved the ultimate in this, as the costs of raw materials and labor are increasing, and taxes, certification and other expenses are all piling up. Especially for the cost of molds, dinosaur models require relatively high accuracy, and even we need 2 sets of molds for a product.
So, we will continue to work hard and have new products every month. There will be more excellent products in the future.

thomasw100

Quote from: vampiredesign on September 04, 2023, 09:09:58 AMLips are too challenging, and achieving production in terms of size is very challenging. In fact, the model design of this product was already completed in March. I have been solving several problems, including lips, teeth, mouth, chin, standing (not soft).
I don't know how to say or translate many professional production process terms in English.
Many also involve cost issues, and often try to control and lower costs as much as possible, so that products can be cheaper. But we have indeed achieved the ultimate in this, as the costs of raw materials and labor are increasing, and taxes, certification and other expenses are all piling up. Especially for the cost of molds, dinosaur models require relatively high accuracy, and even we need 2 sets of molds for a product.
So, we will continue to work hard and have new products every month. There will be more excellent products in the future.

Thanks for your explanations about the challenges of producing some of these models. I am not much of a theropod collector, but I would say that if you need to make a choice then I would rather support that you go for lips but no articulated jaws. This may be a good compromise to save on costs while producing very accurate models.

May we get a hint if some of the new products would also include another sauropod? You teased us recently with your amazing sauropod collection, so we of course hope for some more sauropods from Haolonggood as well.

Concavenator

I would also rather have a theropod figure with lips and no articulated jaw than one without lips and articulated jaw. The Dilophosaurus was looking great with lips in that WIP.

JimoAi

will the Allo and carno be rereleased with lips in the future? we don't mind the lack of articulation

ceratopsian

I don't mind it at all when my theropods lack articulated jaws.  I actually much prefer no articulation in fact.  But I don't know how most buyers in the market (not just us vociferous DTF members!) feel and how no articulation would affect sales.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: