News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

CollectA figures aren't usually an instant buy for me. This one definitely is.

Concavenator

Concerning any potential retirements from CollectA:

Halichoeres

My impression is that CollectA is slow to retire things even if they desperately call for retirement, with the notable exception of the 2015 feathered rex.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ivántirrophus

What scale is Hadrosaurus?

It is very small  ???

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 25, 2023, 05:09:59 AMMy impression is that CollectA is slow to retire things even if they desperately call for retirement, with the notable exception of the 2015 feathered rex.
I always wondered why they threw that rex under the bus so quickly. I was better than its successor. Any rumors as to the reason for its termination?

Halichoeres

Quote from: SidB on September 05, 2023, 04:50:10 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 25, 2023, 05:09:59 AMMy impression is that CollectA is slow to retire things even if they desperately call for retirement, with the notable exception of the 2015 feathered rex.
I always wondered why they threw that rex under the bus so quickly. I was better than its successor. Any rumors as to the reason for its termination?

I don't have any idea. Maybe it's just because the tide had started to turn against T. rex with feathers? I was initially smitten by it, but I started to dislike it on closer inspection because of its oddly long tail, its misshapen feet, and its jarring paint scheme. It's not a bad figure on balance, but the competition is stiff for that particular animal.

Quote from: Ivántirrophus on September 05, 2023, 04:35:34 AMWhat scale is Hadrosaurus?

It is very small  ???

About 1:45 by my measurements. Take that with a grain of salt, since it's not completely known and surely varied more than we can know.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

suspsy

I will not be at all shocked if CollectA reveals a brand new Tyrannosaurus rex in November. It's been five while years now since their last one, after all!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Well, I hope not. Not just because they've already made so many, and not just because so many other versions have been released by other companies lately, but also because CollectA is just not as good at theropods as other companies are.

Sim

I agree with Halichoeres.  Plus, I would be surprised if CollectA made yet another Tyrannosaurus before a new Stegosaurus or Velociraptor.  Those last two sell extremely well too and it has been far, far longer since CollectA's last versions of them.  Personally, I have a Tyrannosaurus I'm happy with (PNSO 2023), but I'm curious about whether CollectA would release other tyrannosauroids?  Their last one was the Tyrannosaurus suspsy mentioned.  I would be interested in Xiongguanlong, Bistahieversor, Guanlong, Eotyrannus and Daspletosaurus horneri.

marisaura

Quote from: Sim on September 08, 2023, 05:05:40 PMI agree with Halichoeres.  Plus, I would be surprised if CollectA made yet another Tyrannosaurus before a new Stegosaurus or Velociraptor.  Those last two sell extremely well too and it has been far, far longer since CollectA's last versions of them.  Personally, I have a Tyrannosaurus I'm happy with (PNSO 2023), but I'm curious about whether CollectA would release other tyrannosauroids?  Their last one was the Tyrannosaurus suspsy mentioned.  I would be interested in Xiongguanlong, Bistahieversor, Guanlong, Eotyrannus and Daspletosaurus horneri.

they already have a decent xiongguanlong (with hips that are way too wide but a nice side profile), a bistahieversor, and an... interesting eotyrannus. i definitely wouldn't mind seeing them remake the latter, but given how slow they are to retire things i wouldn't bet on it any time soon.

Sim

The CollectA Bistahieversor also has hips that are too wide.  It's true though that CollectA doesn't often remake things.  That might make a new Alioramus unlikely, same for Daspletosaurus horneri even though CollectA's current Daspletosaurus is a different species.  The tyrannosauroids there's a vacant niche for, that I consequently could see CollectA make, are Appalachiosaurus (the only toy of it is a carcass), Dryptosaurus (it would go well with CollectA's Hadrosaurus) and Guanlong (only good toys of it are an action figure and a retired museum exclusive).

Baryonyx

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285450467397?hash=item42762c7845:g:O2sAAOSw5bdk7RpR

From the collection of the late Anthony Beeson, what appear to be protoypes of the Ceratosuchops CollectA released this year. Notice the sharper claws and nominal horn. More interestingly, it has less goofy teeth and lips, unlike the articulated final model.

In this form the style of sculpting isn't far off Vitae's, I thought it was the teased Suchomimus from that company at first.

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Baryonyx @Baryonyx , it's illuminating to see the concerns that effect the final outcome of products  of such compaies as Safari and CollecA . Of course HLG and PNSO don't have to deal with that tension.

Flaffy

Quote from: Baryonyx on September 12, 2023, 02:57:45 PMhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285450467397?hash=item42762c7845:g:O2sAAOSw5bdk7RpR

From the collection of the late Anthony Beeson, what appear to be protoypes of the Ceratosuchops CollectA released this year. Notice the sharper claws and nominal horn. More interestingly, it has less goofy teeth and lips, unlike the articulated final model.

In this form the style of sculpting isn't far off Vitae's, I thought it was the teased Suchomimus from that company at first.

Oh wow, it's like someone deliberately made the teeth more protruded and goofy on the final product. The prototype displays a perfectly plausible reconstruction of a lipped spinosaurid. I really wonder why CollectA decided to downgrade their model to be more cartoony in this instance, quite disappointing tbh.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on September 12, 2023, 04:31:18 PM
Quote from: Baryonyx on September 12, 2023, 02:57:45 PMhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285450467397?hash=item42762c7845:g:O2sAAOSw5bdk7RpR

Oh wow, it's like someone deliberately made the teeth more protruded and goofy on the final product. The prototype displays a perfectly plausible reconstruction of a lipped spinosaurid. I really wonder why CollectA decided to downgrade their model to be more cartoony in this instance, quite disappointing tbh.

Yes, this revelation gives me a whole new level of respect for Beeson. The same can't be said for CollectA.

Faelrin

Wow disappointing to see the prototype for that figure was much finer in the details, especially with the head/mouth area. I wonder if it had something to do with the child safety stuff? We see something like this happen with Doug's Safari Ltd models at times, with the claws and teeth.

Also is it just me or is everyone's profile pic showing up as the Papo T. rex for some reason? Edit: Okay not just me. avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp confirmed in another post it's happening to them as well. How weird.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Faelrin on September 12, 2023, 04:39:53 PMWow disappointing to see the prototype for that figure was much finer in the details, especially with the head/mouth area. I wonder if it had something to do with the child safety stuff? We see something like this happen with Doug's Safari Ltd models at times, with the claws and teeth.

Also is it just me or is everyone's profile pic showing up as the Papo T. rex for some reason? Edit: Okay not just me. avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp confirmed in another post it's happening to them as well. How weird.
Papo rex takeover
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Quote from: Flaffy on September 12, 2023, 04:31:18 PM

I too am disappointed the teeth were changed.  If they hadn't I would've kept the figure in my collection.  The positioning of the arms was improved though IMO.  It is strange how some CollectA figures get downgraded before production, the CollectA original Mapusaurus and Struthiomimus come to mind.

BlueKrono

CollectA 30% off today at MiniZoo. Anomalocaris is unfortunately sold out, but I still found some good stuff.
https://www.minizoo.com.au/collecta/
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

A good way to stock up on some foliage...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: