News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

avatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber if you wanna see bad dinos, discount stores is where you'll find them.

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 04, 2023, 07:01:54 AMavatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber if you wanna see bad dinos, discount stores is where you'll find them.

Are they named brand stores? What should I be looking out for? Dollar tree had some great animal monofigs but sadly no dinosaurs.
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on October 04, 2023, 01:11:36 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 04, 2023, 07:01:54 AMavatar_Fossilized-Rubber @Fossilized-Rubber if you wanna see bad dinos, discount stores is where you'll find them.

Are they named brand stores? What should I be looking out for? Dollar tree had some great animal monofigs but sadly no dinosaurs.
I find them at Ross, TJ Maxx/TK Maxx/Marshall's, and Dollar Tree also has some questionable dinos.
I must have them all!

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 04, 2023, 02:20:19 PMI must have them all!

Do you have any pics?

Yesterday I found a gumball machine with the worst dinosaurs ever, with eyes painted in all the wrong places! Went to Walmart and got some glow-in-the-dark dinos from a popular Chinese fossil mould set (you all probably know the one). I can't wait to do a comparison when I'm back.
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

EmperorDinobot

I revi
Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on October 05, 2023, 01:47:29 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 04, 2023, 02:20:19 PMI must have them all!

Do you have any pics?

Yesterday I found a gumball machine with the worst dinosaurs ever, with eyes painted in all the wrong places! Went to Walmart and got some glow-in-the-dark dinos from a popular Chinese fossil mould set (you all probably know the one). I can't wait to do a comparison when I'm back.

I reviewed one such figure here: https://dinotoyblog.com/carnotaurus-wow-world-by-nkok/

Faelrin

I finally got the Mattel Nothosaurus (mainline) in hand now. Arrived yesterday from my friend in Germany. Better late then never. It does unfortunately have a slightly misprinted eye on the one side, but I'm not gonna be too picky considering how much a pain the distribution has been on this one.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

JimoAi

I have a package of prehistoric figures in the mail. Includes a recast of the Eofauna steppe mammoth, pnso mini ophthalmosaurus and Safari ltd Dimetrodon.

SidB

A couple of new arrivals this week - first, the 'green' version of the HLG Ampelosaurus, care of Lana-Time-Shop, who got it to Toronto in just under two weeks! Here she is nestled into her diorama spot near a couple of CollectA Plateosaurs. The Safari Daspletosaurus lurks nearby:

Not too faraway is my 'black' version, snugged up to the big HLG Apatosaurus:

The other arrival is the Schleich Gastonia via Dejankins. I don't order a lot of Schleich dinos, it generally turns out to be one a year over the last half decade, but I like this figure:

For comparison with the closely related Papo Polacanthus:

EmperorDinobot

I saw the Schleich Gastonia in person yesterday. I see them all the time at Fred Meyer stores, and I'm pretty tempted to get one since all Schleich is 30% off.

Sim

The Schleich Gastonia is a surprisingly good figure from Schleich.  I'm happy with mine too.  S @SidB, since I know you're interested in having figures that roughly scale well with each other, I wonder if you've considered the small Beasts of the Mesozoic figures?  I find they scale well with larger species, being as small as I'd like them to be.  And they are good figures of species that don't usually get made at that size, e.g. Velociraptor, Psittacosaurus, Dromaeosaurus, Protoceratops hellenikorhinus.

Today I acquired the larger PNSO Dakosaurus!  After discussing it with B @bmathison1972 I concluded that the figure represents Dakosaurus maximus rather than andiniensis, which made me consider the figure again.  Now that I have it I'm very happy with it!  The skull reconstruction in the leaflet that accompanies the figure also looks like that of D. maximus to me, supporting the identification of the figure as that species.

SidB

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 07, 2023, 04:24:13 PMI saw the Schleich Gastonia in person yesterday. I see them all the time at Fred Meyer stores, and I'm pretty tempted to get one since all Schleich is 30% off.

Maybe you should go for it, avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot ; subjectively it was the only Schleich that tempted me, but I'm also convinced in a quick, passing sort of way that it might objectively be the best of this year's Schleich lot.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on October 07, 2023, 05:14:36 PMThe Schleich Gastonia is a surprisingly good figure from Schleich.  I'm happy with mine too.  S @SidB, since I know you're interested in having figures that roughly scale well with each other, I wonder if you've considered the small Beasts of the Mesozoic figures?  I find they scale well with larger species, being as small as I'd like them to be.  And they are good figures of species that don't usually get made at that size, e.g. Velociraptor, Psittacosaurus, Dromaeosaurus, Protoceratops hellenikorhinus.

Today I acquired the larger PNSO Dakosaurus!  After discussing it with B @bmathison1972 I concluded that the figure represents Dakosaurus maximus rather than andiniensis, which made me consider the figure again.  Now that I have it I'm very happy with it!  The skull reconstruction in the leaflet that accompanies the figure also looks like that of D. maximus to me, supporting the identification of the figure as that species.
You're right, avatar_Sim @Sim , on both counts. The only drawback for me is my viseral dislike of heavily articulated figures, excepting jaw articulation, which I've gradually grown used to, a fact that might be manifest in the absolute lack of these fine figures in my collections. Maybe there's some way to modify some of them so that the joints are hidden, even if that means eliminating the articulation? That does seem to be the only way to get smaller dinos into the 1/25-1/40 range that I collect. Perhaps I could get them modified by Bravo Models, who are currently adding lips to two of my PNSO tyrannosaurids.

Sim

When I look at these BotM figures that I have, I don't notice their articulation.  I'm not sure why, but it's great!  Maybe it's because the figures are so good?  Or maybe it has to do with them being so small?  If you do get any of these figures modified to have articulation removed, I would really like to see them!  It sounds amazing!

Libraraptor

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 07, 2023, 04:24:13 PMI saw the Schleich Gastonia in person yesterday. I see them all the time at Fred Meyer stores, and I'm pretty tempted to get one since all Schleich is 30% off.

It is one of their better efforts for sure. I would grab myself one if it Was 30 % off in a German store.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on October 07, 2023, 08:14:54 PMWhen I look at these BotM figures that I have, I don't notice their articulation.  I'm not sure why, but it's great!  Maybe it's because the figures are so good?  Or maybe it has to do with them being so small?  If you do get any of these figures modified to have articulation removed, I would really like to see them!  It sounds amazing!
This conversation has whetted my appetite and interest. I'll look into this possibility, starting with the genera you suggested.

Concavenator

S @SidB I echo avatar_Sim @Sim 's suggestion. I have the Chasmosaurus and the seams don't appear to be very noticeable to me when I'm looking at it. Creative Beast figures are amazing and if you end up getting any of them I'm sure you'd enjoy them!

EmperorDinobot

Yeah the Chasmosaur sized dinos (Einiosaurus, Avaceratops, Diabloceratops, Nasutoceratops, Regaliceratops) have seams that are hard to notice. In fact, it's the large ones that have large, hard to escape lines. See the reviews on the DTB. I reviewed the Einiosaurus a while back.

Yeah I'll get Gastonia.

CityRaptor

Collected since my last post in this thread:

Dominate the Skies!
Fear Nothing!
Awaken your Survival Instincts!

Quetzalcoatlus
Dreadnoughtus ( the seller also ironically included a free game called "Fast Food Fear!". Not pictured here.)
Survival Instinct Starter Set ( Amamzon is actually selling the very same Blue for more than this set of 4!)

Also my first Hammond Collection figure:

"Now I enter this Collection, a Concavenator, yes!"

And I got a set of the new Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary cards:

They are from different subsets ( most conisting of 9 cards ) and types of cards, according to checklist:
Spinosaurus is card 22, a wrinkled card and from "Leading Dinosaurs"
Rexy is card 56, a holographic card, from "Art Mood" and makes larger image with card 56
Ghost is card 72 a base card, from "Welcome to Jurassic World!" and makes a large image with the cards 64 till 71.
Mosasaurus is card 96, a metal card and belongs to the "Jungle Rules"
Lockwood is card 119, a base card and from "Cool Moments from JW - Fallen Kingdom"...uh, yes.
Triceratops is card 162, a glow-in-the-dark card and is part of "Origin"
I don't think I'll buy more cards.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SidB

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on October 08, 2023, 12:34:53 AMYeah the Chasmosaur sized dinos (Einiosaurus, Avaceratops, Diabloceratops, Nasutoceratops, Regaliceratops) have seams that are hard to notice. In fact, it's the large ones that have large, hard to escape lines. See the reviews on the DTB. I reviewed the Einiosaurus a while back.

Yeah I'll get Gastonia.
Yes, I remember your review, but I'll go over it again.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Introducing the 1/35 era terra patagotitan! Finally arrived all the way from Brazil, and the artist, Ademar P. Nascimento, was great to work with. The model absolutely blew me away, the pictures don't do justice to how truly massive it is. I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in giant sauropods, and it's super affordable too, only $170 including shipping and the paint job.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: