News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Repaints - Revisiting the Past

Started by SidB, January 30, 2021, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

My latest repaint of one of the resins of Mike Eischen of Paleo Sculpture - the Phiomia. This is from Mike's older printer, I believe. The horizontal lines can be made out, though only from very close up and more on a photo than visually with the naked eye.

SidB

Its been a little while since I've made any changes to my dino collectibles, but I finally got around to tackling a niggling set of details on my Wild Safari Triceratops figures that have hung around on the fringes of my 'to do' list for several years now.

First, Doug Watson's superlative 2018 trike has always had a glaring weak point IMO, the coloration on the frill, which, in my estimation, has a 'painted on' and therefore unnatural look.We replaced it with the color scheme below.

Before -

After-

Then, turning to the older, but still decent 2007 sculpt, I had the two outer toes on the manus removed and placed to the sides, elevating them slightly so that they are no longer weight-bearing. Not quite perfect, as the remaining front three toes could subsequently have been splayed out more, but on the premise that 'excellent is the enemy of good enough', I decided to settle for this slight improvement given the difficulty of working with the tiny digits on this 1/40 scale piece. Then I had Safari's baby Triceratops repainted, to match the 2007 more closely. I'm assuming the 2007 to be Mom and the 2018 to be Dad, with his vivid display frill.

After-

Before-

TooOldForDinosaurs

SidB

SidB

It's been a little while since I posted here, but things have been quiet in my repaint department. I got back a couple of figures yesterday from Chris and take this opportunity to share them. First, a touch-up of one version of the classic Invicta Diplodocus, removing any evidence of paint chips, rubs and discolorations. This is now indistinguishable from the figure straight from the factory, so many years ago -

Then, a little 1/35 resin figure by Mike Eischen of the Cenozoic South American mammal Pyrotherium, which looks remarkably like a proto-proboscidean, but is actually not closely related. It came as an unpainted grey piece, now transformed -

Who says that pink can't be scary/formidable

SidB

Two lip jobs finished by Aaron at Bravo Models in Mexico and ready to ship to me here in Toronto. The PNSO Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus.

Never cheap, but so much more satisfying to see these Albertosaurines updated. Pictures courtesy of Bravo Models.

Flaffy

The Albertosaurus in particular looks so much better with lips. I still have yet to pick up any of the latest PNSO Tyrannosaurs for this reason.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on July 08, 2024, 09:49:40 PMThe Albertosaurus in particular looks so much better with lips. I still have yet to pick up any of the latest PNSO Tyrannosaurs for this reason.
It really was a long, difficult decision to eventually commit to financing the upgrade, but this completes the transformation of my PNSO tyrannosaurids from (but not including) Andrea onwards. I may yet have her lipped too, as she was the first of the PNSO Tyrannosaurs to have the new, highly detailed integument. Needless to say, the expense in making these conversions has precluded me from making the volume of purchases that I've made in the past. Taking one thing with another, I have no regrets. It's quality over quantity and the PNSO products in this area, generally speaking, are worth  the extra effort.

Bread

Very nice! They are in worth it in my eyes as well. ;)

postsaurischian

Both are very attractive figures, absolute upgrades. Congrats!!

SidB

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 09, 2024, 06:37:04 PMBoth are very attractive figures, absolute upgrades. Congrats!!
Thanks, avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian , that's high praise, coming from you!

Halichoeres

Wow, I hadn't seen that Pyrotherium! Looks good in the hippo-esque paint scheme.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 14, 2024, 02:40:39 AMWow, I hadn't seen that Pyrotherium! Looks good in the hippo-esque paint scheme.
I keep hoping that we'll see more such mammals in the near future.

SidB

When the HLG Edmontonia first came out, I ordered both color schemes. One apparently became lost in transit, so I ordered a replacement. But lo and behold, it did materialize a while later, so I had an extra on my hands, so I decided to get it repainted in a grey pattern. Here's the result -

A comparison with the two original paint jobs -

As you might guess, I really like this figure.

ceratopsian

Grey tones always work really well on dinosaurs in my eyes.

postsaurischian

The Edmontonia is among HAOLONGGOOD's strongest figures if you ask me. I really like the unostentatious coloration here. Beautiful!
 I wish your pics were a bit bigger though :-[  :) .

thedeadlymoose

I usually don't like grey tones, but this is really visually compelling. Nice work!

thomasw100

This somehow reminds me of the lineup of monochrome Lego minifigures.

Halichoeres

That looks great. The Edmontonia goth variant!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.