News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Both Alamosaurus and Dreadnoughtus in Prehistoric Planet (maybe others) were shown with the thumb claws in Prehistoric Planet. Someone on the PNSO instagram post for the Alamosaurus figure mentioned this, and said that Darren Naish said there was a reason for doing that.

IMBD mentions this:

"Dreadnoughtus are shown fighting by slashing each other with their giant thumb claws. Titanosaurs, the group which the animal belonged to, generally did not have thumb claws. The show's creators were aware of this, but chose to depict Dreadnoughtus with claws because another titanosaur, Diamantinasaurus was found to have had thumb claws. During production, it was deduced that this animal would have been very distantly related to Dreadnoughtus, and Dreadnoughtus most likely had no claws on its front feet. By that time it was too late to change the CGI models, so the incorrect claws were kept."

I also did some more digging, finding a twitter post where Holtz, Jr asked about the same thing:

QuoteEpisode 2 was wonderful. Curious as to the reasoning on the thumb spikes of Dreadnoughtus and the Mongol Titan, given the lack of unguals in derived titanosaurs. But Tarbosaurus, Mononykus, Velociraptor, the hadrosaurs, and the rest: all wonderful!!

Naish said this:

QuoteDiamantinasaurus - with well developed thumb claws and a proposed 'derived' position as of when we were pulling things together - was key in the formation of our decision

So it seems PNSO went the same route as Prehistoric Planet did unfortunately, but it is possible they sculpted this figure before that paper released, but who knows really, like with the onslaught of lipless tyrannosaurs released after the lip paper, and how in the Cameron video they were still going by the 2017 Carr paper that argued against lips (however in their recent Saurophaganax video they do mention going with the monitor lizard like lips and gums, which the 2023 paper was going with, although they don't specifically mention the paper. Also even though it was obvious, it is nice to have confirmation they based its proportions off A. fragilis, although the neck and hips and leg musculature were based on Saurophaganax's remains. The skin was also mentioned to be based on Allosaurus, though they don't specify which species, but as far as I'm aware it's only been reported from A. jimmadseni so far).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Yeah I've seen Naish's reasoning for the thumb spikes but I'm generally not convinced considering the lack of sources in regards to Diamantinasaurus's alledged derived position.  Sallam et al. (2017) placed the titular australian titanosaur within Lithostrotia, but strangely enough recovers Argentinosaurus as one of the basalmost members of Titanosauria, when most others recover Argentinosaurus as a close relative to the derived Patagotitan.

In conclusion, titanosaur phylogeny is a mess.

Joel1905

Quote from: dinofelid on November 10, 2023, 05:33:07 PM
Quote from: Joel1905 on November 10, 2023, 05:16:03 PMThe Allosaurus & Sinraptor were lipless, and now their Saurophaganax and Yangchuanosaurus are now lipless. Doesn't line up with that comment does it?

The new Saurophaganax and Yangchuanosaurus seem to have lips judging by images on the amazon page. My guess is that PNSO just changed their policy on theropod lips because of the new March 2023 paper at https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abo7877 which was discussed at https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10765

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant lipped  :))

I'm 100% in favour of lips

Bread

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on November 08, 2023, 08:26:13 AMPNSO's road to 11:11 has been shown
These are the figures which will enter into the Promo (15% plus additional discount)
Theropods et.al
  • Saurophaganax
  • Allosaurus
  • Yangchuanosaurus s.
  • Megalosaurus
  • Sinraptor
  • Torvosaurus
  • Qianzhousaurus
  • Zuchengtyrannus
  • Tarbosaurus
  • Tyrannosaurus Rex (all versions)
  • Lythronax
  • Gorgosaurus
  • Daspletosaurus
  • Albertosaurus
  • Meraxes
  • Mapusaurus
  • Carcharodontosaurus
  • Giganotosaurus
  • Acrocanthosaurus
  • Spinosaurus (Essien)
  • Sinopliosaurus*
  • Suchomimus
  • Microraptor
  • As far as I know, every marine animal published except Atropodentalus
Herbivores
  • Ankylosaurus
  • Sauropelta
  • Borealopelta
  • Pinacosaurus
  • Parasaurolophus
  • Olorotitan
  • Corythosaurus
  • Lambeosaurus
  • Iguanodon
  • Triceratops
  • Torosaurus
  • Styracosaurus
  • Machairoceratops
  • Sinoceratops
  • Pachyrhinosaurus
  • Spinops
  • Centrosaurus
  • Pachycephalosaurus
  • Stegosaurus (both)
  • Miragaia
  • Toujiangosaurus
  • Chungkingosaurus and Yangchuanosaurus
  • Deinocheirus
  • Therizinosaurus
  • Mamenchisaurus (ML)
  • Amargasaurus
Also the box set and the cards.

But, no Zuul, Y. Magnus or Alamosaurus:(
If you order Zuul and the Yangchuanosaurus from Jurassic Zoo (LanaTimeShop's Aliexpress store) the sale promo does apply.

Edit: They just don't have the Alamosaurus up for sale yet.

Prehistory Resurrection

Concavenator

From the video (minute 6:25):

Quote from: Zhao Chuang"Since the fossil is well-preserved, we replicated the exact appearance of the fossil on this back part ensuring the arrangement pattern is exactly the same as when it was alive".

Ummm... no? It doesn't match Hank Sharpe's most recent restoration:

Now, the odd thing here is that it seems this figure was sculpted after the 2022 paper, because at 0:31 Zhao Chuang says:

Quote from: Zhao Chuang"The first article about this dinosaur focused on its head."

Which makes me wonder why didn't they base the figure on Hank Sharpe's restoration, and also why he said they replicated the osteoderm arrangement as it was in vivo.

P.S. Thanks to the 11.11 sale on AliExpress going on right now, I finally ordered the Pachycephalosaurus for a more decent price.  :P

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Bread on November 11, 2023, 01:22:49 PM
Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on November 08, 2023, 08:26:13 AMPNSO's road to 11:11 has been shown
These are the figures which will enter into the Promo (15% plus additional discount)
Theropods et.al
  • Saurophaganax
  • Allosaurus
  • Yangchuanosaurus s.
  • Megalosaurus
  • Sinraptor
  • Torvosaurus
  • Qianzhousaurus
  • Zuchengtyrannus
  • Tarbosaurus
  • Tyrannosaurus Rex (all versions)
  • Lythronax
  • Gorgosaurus
  • Daspletosaurus
  • Albertosaurus
  • Meraxes
  • Mapusaurus
  • Carcharodontosaurus
  • Giganotosaurus
  • Acrocanthosaurus
  • Spinosaurus (Essien)
  • Sinopliosaurus*
  • Suchomimus
  • Microraptor
  • As far as I know, every marine animal published except Atropodentalus
Herbivores
  • Ankylosaurus
  • Sauropelta
  • Borealopelta
  • Pinacosaurus
  • Parasaurolophus
  • Olorotitan
  • Corythosaurus
  • Lambeosaurus
  • Iguanodon
  • Triceratops
  • Torosaurus
  • Styracosaurus
  • Machairoceratops
  • Sinoceratops
  • Pachyrhinosaurus
  • Spinops
  • Centrosaurus
  • Pachycephalosaurus
  • Stegosaurus (both)
  • Miragaia
  • Toujiangosaurus
  • Chungkingosaurus and Yangchuanosaurus
  • Deinocheirus
  • Therizinosaurus
  • Mamenchisaurus (ML)
  • Amargasaurus
Also the box set and the cards.

But, no Zuul, Y. Magnus or Alamosaurus:(
If you order Zuul and the Yangchuanosaurus from Jurassic Zoo (LanaTimeShop's Aliexpress store) the sale promo does apply.

Edit: They just don't have the Alamosaurus up for sale yet.
Thanks for the advice! I'm more into buying herbivores, so  think I'll buy the ML Stegosaurus along with the Zuul. However, that gorgeous Saurophaganax is staring directly at me too much and I don't know if I could resist much longer :'(

Faelrin

My new card came, and I'm trying to think of what to go for. Is the sale only for today? I only have the Parasaurolophus, Lambeosaurus, and Deinocheirus (and a bunch of the minis). Things on my wishlist include the new Saurophaganax/Allosaurus (and surprisingly as much as I was disappointed with it earlier on, the Stegosaurus pair which looks incredibly good alongside that one), Acrocanthosaurus, Borealopelta, Dunkleosteus, Gorgosaurus, Meraxes, Suchomimus, Tarbosaurus, maybe some others.

The two I'm behind on reviewing for the blog include the Dunkleosteus, and the Gorgosaurus.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Chasmosaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on November 11, 2023, 04:30:37 PMFrom the video (minute 6:25):

Quote from: Zhao Chuang"Since the fossil is well-preserved, we replicated the exact appearance of the fossil on this back part ensuring the arrangement pattern is exactly the same as when it was alive".

Ummm... no? It doesn't match Hank Sharpe's most recent restoration:

Now, the odd thing here is that it seems this figure was sculpted after the 2022 paper, because at 0:31 Zhao Chuang says:

Quote from: Zhao Chuang"The first article about this dinosaur focused on its head."

Which makes me wonder why didn't they base the figure on Hank Sharpe's restoration, and also why he said they replicated the osteoderm arrangement as it was in vivo.

P.S. Thanks to the 11.11 sale on AliExpress going on right now, I finally ordered the Pachycephalosaurus for a more decent price.  :P

I found this photo of a Zuul fossil. I think the figurine matches this photo.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Concavenator

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin The sale lasts until 13th November 8:59 a.m. CET.

thomasw100

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on November 09, 2023, 02:22:18 PMI think were on an amazing track in terms of accuracy , paint etc with pnso when i can honestly argue the original is better to me personally, since at that point its 100 percent personal taste, to me this one negates the real animal vibe too much for a gaming pc good looking vibe and i honestly can imagine allosaurus( saurophaganax )lookin exactly like it. But both are absolutely fantastic

I agree with your view here. I like the paint applications of PNSO just like they are. This makes these figures really look natural. I understood that people have sent their theropods for adding lips to one of the customizers, but now with the newer theropods all having lips this is not required any more.

thomasw100

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on November 06, 2023, 09:18:00 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on November 06, 2023, 08:57:24 PMImo his are essential for making an informed decision
x2 His videos are a delight to anyone in the DT community. Let's hope he uploads them before AE's 11:11 arrives, the Alamosaurus price tag  alone is a bit restrictive for most of us. But well, now I think they will eventually wipe us off with a Museum line E. annectens too.

Fully agree here. His videos are for my taste the best ones out there to make an informed decision if one should buy a figure. I particularly like his fair and balanced approach. He points out flaws and issues of the figures, but balances this with good points and the overall quality of a given figure. And overall he tries to see the positive things rather than the negative ones. In addition to that, I learn a lot about anatomy and paleontology with each of his videos and they are a good refresher of terminology.

Prehistory Resurrection

JimoAi

Sim

It looks like PNSO really believes sauropods would have exposed teeth due to their beak.  I was already not interested in PNSO sauropods due to their beak, but the exposed teeth makes me want to avoid them even more.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on November 12, 2023, 09:01:35 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on November 06, 2023, 08:57:24 PMImo his are essential for making an informed decision
x2 His videos are a delight to anyone in the DT community. Let's hope he uploads them before AE's 11:11 arrives, the Alamosaurus price tag  alone is a bit restrictive for most of us. But well, now I think they will eventually wipe us off with a Museum line E. annectens too.

Fully agree here. His videos are for my taste the best ones out there to make an informed decision if one should buy a figure. I particularly like his fair and balanced approach. He points out flaws and issues of the figures, but balances this with good points and the overall quality of a given figure. And overall he tries to see the positive things rather than the negative ones. In addition to that, I learn a lot about anatomy and paleontology with each of his videos and they are a good refresher of terminology.

Totally agree. I hope he's alright though, he's been quite quiet for a while now...

SidB

Quote from: Quiversaurus on November 12, 2023, 05:36:00 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on November 12, 2023, 09:01:35 AM

Totally agree. I hope he's alright though, he's been quite quiet for a while now...
He's been away from home for a bit, I believe - announced that recently.

Tracewyrm!

Apologies if anyone's already posted this but Paleofiguras shared some in-hand images of the Alamosaurus. Thoughts?  ;D

There are more pictures on their page but for the sake of brevity, I'm posting the comparison I assume most people would like to see.
* (It's locked.)

suspsy

Samuel obviously isn't in scale at all with Cameron, but you could pass him off as a young one if you wished to pose them together.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Fembrogon

Even as a youngster he towers over Cameron, so that's all good in my book.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: