News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, November 03, 2023, 11:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 13, 2023, 03:21:54 AMThe Wild Safari Brachiosaurus is great, but it's very clearly based on Brachiosaurus brancai, so in reality it's another Giraffatitan figure

Yeah, I know. And I had assumed that the Carnegie Brachiosaurus was B. brancai but apparently it isn't. Turns out it's one of the few actual Brachiosaurus toys out there.  8) 

bmathison1972

Unless I am misremembering something, or new information has come to light since I read up on this, the features separating them are things like width of the vertebrae and pelvic girdle. Can those be interpreted in a 'fleshed out' toy?

Leyster

They have quite different proportions. Look at the torsos.
These are old skeletals, I'm sure there are more recent ones but I couldn't find them atm.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

crazy8wizard

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 13, 2023, 12:40:45 PMUnless I am misremembering something, or new information has come to light since I read up on this, the features separating them are things like width of the vertebrae and pelvic girdle. Can those be interpreted in a 'fleshed out' toy?
It's also the shape of the snout and the torso length as mentioned above. If the snout makes that sort of scooped bowl look, then it's Giraffatitan, but B. altithorax has a slimmer, almost rounded triangle shaped snout.

bmathison1972

these still seem like awfully 'soft' features, difficult to interpret in a plastic toy.

anyway, doesn't affect me either way, at this point I would wait for something new to be released.

Gwangi

I always considered the differences to be insignificant to the point where I don't really care about having both represented in my collection. It's funny how GSP loves to lump certain animals together but a difference of proportions means Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan must be completely different genera.  ::)

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Gwangi on November 13, 2023, 08:07:12 PMI always considered the differences to be insignificant to the point where I don't really care about having both represented in my collection. It's funny how GSP loves to lump certain animals together but a difference of proportions means Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan must be completely different genera.  ::)
On an animal that big they may seem insignificant, but the differences are diagnostic. In model form though, I agree that having a bunch of mostly similar models is cluttered.

Gwangi

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 13, 2023, 08:15:28 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 13, 2023, 08:07:12 PMI always considered the differences to be insignificant to the point where I don't really care about having both represented in my collection. It's funny how GSP loves to lump certain animals together but a difference of proportions means Brachiosaurus and Giraffatitan must be completely different genera.  ::)
On an animal that big they may seem insignificant, but the differences are diagnostic. In model form though, I agree that having a bunch of mostly similar models is cluttered.

I have a feeling that if they were extant they would be different species under the same genus is what I'm suggesting.

bmathison1972

I bet if you took those two illustrations, deidentified them, and sent them to 100 people, less that 50% would reach consensus in correct identification  8)  C:-)  >:D  :P

But I do know many Brachi toys were made in the era before Giraffititan was a valid genus and may have been inspired by fossil mounts that represent the latter today.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Gwangi on November 13, 2023, 08:20:41 PMI have a feeling that if they were extant they would be different species under the same genus is what I'm suggesting.
For sure. There's a lot of extinct animals that would be lumped if they were still around, and some species that might have been indistinguishable without an autopsy. Then again, some animals look really similar and are colloquially called the same thing but are different genera, like Asian and African Elephants.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 13, 2023, 08:25:56 PMI bet if you took those two illustrations, deidentified them, and sent them to 100 people, less that 50% would reach consensus in correct identification  8)  C:-)  >:D  :P

But I do know many Brachi toys were made in the era before Giraffititan was a valid genus and may have been inspired by fossil mounts that represent the latter today.
That first part kinda falls apart when you consider the average layperson's knowledge of dinosaurs. I've heard people call Camarasaurus, Diplodocus, and Apatosaurus Brachiosaurus, not to mention how there's a lot of people who call every large theropod T. rex.

As for the fossil mounts, absolutely. Giraffatitan/B. brancai is the more complete of the two so just about every B. altithorax skeletal mount or diagram is filled in from its Tanzanian counterpart. Also I think Giraffatitan is taller, so it makes for a more spectacular mount.

bmathison1972

yup, which is why at this point I will wait for new figures that I hope represent the current knowledge/state of each genus  ^-^

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I was under the impression that the final version of the Carnegie Collection Brachiosaurus is the only Brachiosaurus figure that's actually closely based on B. altithorax, whatever others may claim.

Renecito

Deluxe Polacanthus

CollectA mini sauropod model set. (No pictures)
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Lynx

CollectA always nails it with that group of animals!
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

As I noted in the announcement I just posted to the blog, the Polacanthus is colossal. It's even longer than the Stegouros, although it may not be as bulky.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Would've preferred a more Gastonia-like reconstruction since it's a close relative of Polacanthus. Gabriel and atrox1's artworks strike me as far more convincing. I do look forward to CollectA's reasoning for this unorthodox reconstruction, particularly when it comes to the shoulder spike which seems to sprout out of no where?

Hopefully better pics will make me warm up to the figure more, but currently I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad disappointed by the execution. I found this year's Stegouros to be a much more refined figure in both sculpt and paint.

crazy8wizard

While it's not the worst, I'm a bit taken aback by the drop in overall quality from this year compared to last. There's some really neat details in each of the new figures revealed thus far but (and I could be crazy here) it feels like some of the newer models, especially this and the Velociraptor are more resembling figures Collecta had made quite a few years back.

Stegotyranno420

Flaffy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2023, 04:55:36 AMDid we come back to Procon?
Maybe Polacanthus is just cursed. Perpetually fated to suffer from goofy figures.

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 17, 2023, 04:50:31 AMWhile it's not the worst, I'm a bit taken aback by the drop in overall quality from this year compared to last. There's some really neat details in each of the new figures revealed thus far but (and I could be crazy here) it feels like some of the newer models, especially this and the Velociraptor are more resembling figures Collecta had made quite a few years back.
I really hope they're saving the best for last. The Velociraptor and now Polacanthus really feel like duds from a bygone CollectA era.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: