News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, one of Therizinosaurus's foot claws is partially preserved, this can be seen in the rigorous skeletal of it.

avatar_Lynx @Lynx, I think people have been disliking ceratopsids with filaments, not ceratopsians.  I don't think anyone dislikes Psittacosaurus with filaments.  Personally I dislike ceratopsids with quills because it looks unnatural.  In Psittacosaurus the tail is a large portion of the body and Psittacosaurus lacks impressive frills and horns that ceratopsids have, making filaments on it make sense.  Even Protoceratops with its tall caudal vertebrae doesn't look wrong to me with filaments.  However, ceratopsids have small tails and to me the filaments look out of place.  Especially like how CollectA has been doing it, putting filaments over the hips in all their ceratopsids.  That's a made-up arrangement that makes no sense and it just looks weird.

Faelrin

avatar_Lynx @Lynx It's a bit of an odd paleomeme without direct evidence/very speculative. Once that one Psittacosaurus specimen was found with them, artists left and right rushed to start applying it to larger ceratopsians. However the paper that described that specimen mentioned those quills could be a display feature. It makes me ask why the other ceratopsians would have gone to evolve their elaborate frills, which were used as display structures if they already had a suitable display structure in place (unless it did become unsuitable and they lost it)? Furthermore Psittacosaurus is from a different branch then ceratopsids are (such as having four digits on the hands/manus, where as ceratopsids have 5), so it's possible it was unique to only those particular animals, or perhaps even that particular species (which currently remains undiagnostic due to its crushed skull). Really the only thing that would weigh in one direction or the other would be more evidence from an earlier ceratopsian or marginocephalian that either shares that feature, or lacks it. Or perhaps another well preserved Psittacosaurus species that lacks it, showing it was a distinct feature of that particular species.

For some people it could also just be an aesthetic preference, or perhaps they find it as an eye sore. Me personally I would prefer them without them until we know otherwise, Psittacosaurus aside of course.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DC

I would add Tuatara both the large and the toob

You can never have too many dinosaurs

Dinoxels

Hey, the official Safari Ltd. instagram page seems to have gone suddenly missing over the past week, does anyone know what happened?

S @Shane
Do you know of this?
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Faelrin

They don't show up in search, and using an @ to their page leads to a broken or removed message, so a few things come to mind. First is that they were hacked, second is something could have broke on instagram's end, or lastly they might have gotten randomly banned. Instagram does this crap to a lot of people because of their stupid algorithm. Meanwhile the endless spam bots reign free over there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Saarlooswolfhound

This was pointed out over on ATF too. Shane said it is experiencing some issues that they are working on, it should be back soon(ish). :D

Dinoxels

Got it then! Sorry for ping then Shane.

Shane

Quote from: Dinoxels on October 29, 2023, 09:24:06 PMGot it then! Sorry for ping then Shane.

No worries.

Sorry I was out of the office the past couple of days and haven't checked the forum.

We're working with FB/Meta to get things back up and running and hoping the account should be back up soon.

Dinoxels

Yikes, hope things get back up and running soon then.

Shane

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 06, 2023, 11:24:42 AMYikes, hope things get back up and running soon then.

As do I, unfortunately the wheels at Meta turn verrrrry slowwwwly.

Blade-of-the-Moon

FB has gone downhill since Meta as far as I can tell. :/

suspsy

At least it's nowhere near as horrific as Twitter.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on November 06, 2023, 03:07:13 PMAt least it's nowhere near as horrific as Twitter.

I'd agree there, but that's a low bar. The truth is though, none of these tech behemoths are particularly concerned with addressing individual issues in a timely manner.

Shane

Hi everyone,

Just to update - at long last the Safari Ltd Instagram account has been restored.

You may have to re-follow it again.

Concavenator

S @Shane Would you know when will the Therizinosaurus page be up on Safari's site? Looking forward to seeing more pics of it!

Shane

Quote from: Concavenator on November 12, 2023, 11:55:22 PMS @Shane Would you know when will the Therizinosaurus page be up on Safari's site? Looking forward to seeing more pics of it!

The initial image was an early prototype, and it's preferred to have final samples in hand to do full product photography for the website. It should be up sometime hopefully in the next couple weeks after the final samples arrive.

Concavenator

S @Shane Nice, thank you for the info! Looking forward to that. So the non-stock pics that are on Safari's site for each figure feature the final figures (the ones that are sold)? I don't know why, but I assumed they featured the prototypes.

Mind you if I ask when will the Stegouros and the Therizinosaurus be in stock?

Shane

Quote from: Concavenator on November 13, 2023, 08:56:05 PMS @Shane Nice, thank you for the info! Looking forward to that. So the non-stock pics that are on Safari's site for each figure feature the final figures (the ones that are sold)? I don't know why, but I assumed they featured the prototypes.

Mind you if I ask when will the Stegouros and the Therizinosaurus be in stock?

The photos are usually the final approved sample which, if all goes as it's supposed to, should be indistinguishable from the final product.

It's hard to say when they'll be available. Sometime early next year if everything goes according to schedule.

japfeif

Hey, is the Kentrosaurus available yet?? I havent' seen much talk about this one.

Also, just so I'm clear, is this a new sculpt or just a repaint of the Kentro from 2010?

When I first heard that a Kentrosaurus was going to be included in this year's lineup I was hoping for a new sculpt since the other one is 13 years old now but I think I read some time ago someone saying they thought this new one was just a repaint of the previous figure?

Flaffy

Quote from: japfeif on November 16, 2023, 04:18:06 AMHey, is the Kentrosaurus available yet?? I havent' seen much talk about this one.

Also, just so I'm clear, is this a new sculpt or just a repaint of the Kentro from 2010?

When I first heard that a Kentrosaurus was going to be included in this year's lineup I was hoping for a new sculpt since the other one is 13 years old now but I think I read some time ago someone saying they thought this new one was just a repaint of the previous figure?

It's just a repaint. :( Was hoping for a new sculpt too...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: