You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which 1:18 smallish Beasts of the Mesozoic figures would we like?

Started by Sim, October 03, 2022, 07:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like represented as a 1:18 BotM figure?

Acheroraptor (small)
12 (36.4%)
Atrociraptor (small)
7 (21.2%)
Balaur (small)
8 (24.2%)
Dilong (small)
14 (42.4%)
Pyroraptor (small)
5 (15.2%)
Saurornithoides (small)
8 (24.2%)
Saurornitholestes (small)
8 (24.2%)
Tsaagan (small)
4 (12.1%)
Zhenyuanlong (small)
11 (33.3%)
Bagaceratops (small)
13 (39.4%)
Cerasinops (small)
9 (27.3%)
Graciliceratops (small)
11 (33.3%)
Leptoceratops (small)
20 (60.6%)
Montanoceratops (small)
9 (27.3%)
Prenoceratops (small)
10 (30.3%)
Psittacosaurus lujiatunensis (small)
8 (24.2%)
Psittacosaurus sibiricus (small)
8 (24.2%)
Turanoceratops (small)
11 (33.3%)
Buitreraptor, Microraptor, Mononykus (mini set)
17 (51.5%)
Halszkaraptor, Sinornithosaurus, Sinosauropteryx (mini set)
21 (63.6%)
Adasaurus (medium)
3 (9.1%)
Stenonychosaurus (medium)
8 (24.2%)
Tianyuraptor (medium)
7 (21.2%)
Zanabazar (medium)
7 (21.2%)
Udanoceratops (medium)
9 (27.3%)
Ornitholestes (small)
8 (24.2%)
Nanosaurus (small)
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Faelrin

The Atrociraptor would work nicely alongside the Albertosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, or anything else from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation, if it were in the same scale. Honestly, kind of sad I forgot about it earlier, but well it certainly isn't at the top of my list with the other contenders there. Pyroraptor while a nice sculpt, doesn't really have anything that it would display alongside with. It's also quite speculative with how fragmentary its material is. I also find it funny how David picked both of these long before JW did, and also did it better.

Come to think of it Adasaurus is also doing poorly, and that one's from the Nemegt formation, which Tarbosaurus, Deinocheirus, Mononykus, Saurolophus, Therizinosaurus, etc is from, though nowhere near as famous as any of those however. I do believe it has better material then the former two Atrociraptor and Pyroraptor as well, lending to a more informed reconstruction (aside from potential part sharing proportional issues, if any)
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I'm surprised Atrociraptor and Tsaagan have done so poorly as they were two of the initial raptor series species available along with Velociraptor.  Based on which species got made in 1:18 scale first and which sold out quickest in 1:6 scale, it appears Velociraptor mongoliensis did well and same for Dromaeosaurus and Linheraptor.  Those last two have replaced Atrociraptor and Tsaagan as being the most iconic raptor series figures and join Velociraptor mongoliensis in that regard.

I'm also surprised Adasaurus is doing so poorly.  I didn't think it was unpopular, and I expected a lot of people would want it for their Nemegt Formation displays.  It's interesting Zhenyuanlong is doing quite well, I expect it will sell very well if the 1:18 version has corrected legs and secondaries.

I'm pleased to see that out of the species in this poll which have a 1:6 version, the ones doing best are Microraptor, Mononykus and Buitreraptor.  I hope those do end up getting made in 1:18 scale for BotM!

Concavenator

I would certainly be interested in a 1:18 Zhenyuanlong, though only if they fixed the inaccuracies. Glad to see the Halszkaraptor, Sinosauropteryx and Sinornithisaurus are doing very well too.

On another hand, while not totally related to this topic, I wish David released 1:35 versions of some of the big tyrannosaurs and ceratopsids like Gorgosaurus, Tarbosaurus, Yutyrannus, Torosaurus, Pentaceratops... They are fantastic but at those sizes and prices I simply have to pass on them. Same for some of the Cyberzoic genera, like Allosaurus or the potential future Suchomimus, though I could see myself doing an exception in the worst case scenario as they're among my favorite dinosaurs.

Sim

Would people be interested in having Ornitholestes in this poll?  I think it could share parts with Velociraptor, Dromaeosaurus, etc..  It doesn't have any good figures, I think a BotM version would be excellent.  Below are the BotM species it coexisted with:

Ornitholestes: Allosaurus f., Allosaurus j., Ceratosaurus, Stegosaurus

(Image source)

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim I'd like an Ornitholestes too, actually, I prefer it over the majority of species in the list. If you add it, it would be among my most wanted alongside Halszkaraptor and Sinosauropteryx. I would love a Zhenyuanlong too but I'm quite skeptical David will go through updating it seeing he didn't correct the Dromaeosaurus either.

Faelrin

Absolutely would support that. It's an iconic member of the Morrison Formation (I mean it was featured in WWD at least), despite the lone, but mostly complete specimen, and David has already done great work with representing certain famous formations fauna, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. It being a smaller member makes it feasible in 1/18 scale (compared to the giant sauropods for example). Also mind boggling that no-one (except Eikoh recently, or the inaccurate one from Mattel a few years ago) has bothered to make one, despite again, being part of the iconic Morrison Formation, and with a very well preserved fossil specimen to work from.

Sim

I've added Ornitholestes to the poll!  I've remembered that it would be good to have an equal number of meat-eaters and plant-eaters so I've also added Nanosaurus to the poll.  It coexisted with the same animals as Ornitholestes and with Ornitholestes.

I've tried changing the number of votes people can make to match the number of options in the poll, but it hasn't worked.  Hopefully no-one needs more than 24 votes but if you do let me know and I can make a new poll.  avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum just letting you know changing the number of votes one can make doesn't work.

I've also changed some of my votes.  I voted for Ornitholestes of course, but also for Atrociraptor as recently I've become quite interested in it.  I hope voting for the latter doesn't disappoint you avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres! :D  I no longer voted for Dilong as I just don't like its colouration.  I no longer voted for Leptoceratops and Psittacosaurus l. as I'm not as interested in them now.

Sim

I'm very much into the small 1:18 BotM dromaeosaurids!  I prefer them to the 1:6 scale versions, and am liking the improvements they have gotten when made as small figures.  I hope David will get to make all the small and medium theropods in this poll in 1:18 scale.  Well, I don't mind if Tsaagan and Pyroraptor don't get made as I find them unappealing.  I hope to get a lot of the species in the poll if they are made in 1:18 scale.

EmperorDinobot

Tough question, to be honest. Deinonychus, Tenontosaurus, medium to smallish ankylosaurs such as Europelta, Animantarx, etc, and we also need some non-dinosaur figures such as the well known Dimetrodon, pterosaurs, dicynodonts, and Cenozoic animals such as Pakicetus, terror birds, paleo primates such as Aegyptopithecus (ok this one might be really tiny in 1/18)...

Sim

I've worked out that if David makes an Adasaurus the same size class as the BotM 1:18 Velociraptor, Dromaeosaurus and Linheraptor, the Adasaurus would be 1:35 scale, I think!  So it would work out well that way or if David made it the same size as Deinonychus so it would be 1:18 scale.

I've also come across an updated skeletal reconstruction of Saurornitholestes.  I really hope David corrects the head of the BotM Saurornitholestes if he makes it in 1:18 scale!  The skeletal reconstruction is below.

(Image source)

The head of Saurornitholestes is smaller than the BotM version's, its upper jaw is straighter dorsally, and its lower jaw is thicker (this part can be shared with the BotM Dromaeosaurus).

Sim

I've voted again and added Acheroraptor, Balaur, Saurornitholestes, Zhenyuanlong, Adasaurus and Tianyuraptor to my picks.  I would be so happy to have a lot of small dromaeosaurid figures representing their diversity!

Eatmycar

Acheroraptor is one I really want in 1/18. Sculpt wise I'm aware it's just the Velociraptor sculpt... but I want the Blue Footed Boobie colors, please.

Sim

The Acheroraptor's head, minus the lower jaw, is different from the Velociraptor's, David also gave it a larger sickle claw and different wing feathers.

It's nice to see the Zhenyuanlong is the most popular dromaeosaurid choice in this poll, hopefully David corrects its proportions when it's made in 1:18 scale, I think it would make it even more awesome than it currently is!

I'm surprised Balaur isn't doing better, I thought it would be popular.  Maybe people aren't aware it's been found to be a velociraptorine in some recent analyses?

Sim

I was looking at the 1:6 Acheroraptor again, and it has different lower leg feathering from the 1:6 Velociraptor too.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the differences between the two don't carry over to the 1:18 versions, to save money.  I think that would be reasonable since the differences are small and not important.  I expect each genus will have a unique head part though.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

After acquiring the BotM 1:18 Protoceratops andrewsi, I would like more small BotM ceratopsians.  So I've now voted for Leptoceratops too!

Faelrin

I didn't think of this at the time, but after buying the 1:18 Velociraptor and Protoceratops, I'd really like to see a Kulindadromeus in the line some day.

crazy8wizard

Since there are 1:18th scale versions of the 1:6th scale figures from all the other lines, I'd like to see a 1:18th scale Dilong! And because we're getting a wider variety of dinosaurs due to Cyberzoic, a 1:18th scale Coelophysis would be awesome.

Flaffy

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 16, 2023, 06:51:22 PMSince there are 1:18th scale versions of the 1:6th scale figures from all the other lines, I'd like to see a 1:18th scale Dilong! And because we're getting a wider variety of dinosaurs due to Cyberzoic, a 1:18th scale Coelophysis would be awesome.

The main two 1:6 species I'm waiting on 1:18 versions of are Zhenyuanlong and Dilong too.

thedeadlymoose

Quote from: Faelrin on November 16, 2023, 05:23:44 PMI didn't think of this at the time, but after buying the 1:18 Velociraptor and Protoceratops, I'd really like to see a Kulindadromeus in the line some day.

Yes! I would love this.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: