News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2024

Started by bmathison1972, November 16, 2023, 08:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pliosaurking

That Suchomimus looks great! The other figures look pretty good as well. Although I want to better images before I make a final opinion on them.

Stegotyranno420

I love the sucho design but Im worried its not a real figure

Blade-of-the-Moon

Bit different than what I had originally thought.  The Ampelosaurus and Corythosaurus look detailed but I need better pics, especially of the Corythosaurus to see that head. 

The Suchomimus I would almost swear is concept art/render. Colors, pose, all of it looks like a piece of computer art.  If it's real I'll eat my words and it could be there best figure to date.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2023, 02:43:12 PMI love the sucho design but Im worried its not a real figure
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 17, 2023, 03:16:29 PMThe Suchomimus I would almost swear is concept art/render. Colors, pose, all of it looks like a piece of computer art.  If it's real I'll eat my words and it could be there best figure to date.

Something similar happened with the alligator figure: the first catalogue shots showed a digital render.

Then, the actual figure was finalized.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Mattyonyx on November 17, 2023, 04:08:03 PMSomething similar happened with the alligator figure: the first catalogue shots showed a digital render.

Then, the actual figure was finalized.

Obviously some detail is lost in translation, but if the Suchomimus's prototype is about as accurate to the 3d model as the alligator is, then I'm really looking forward to it!
* (It's locked.)

Stegotyranno420

When did said alligator get released.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

My, I was not expecting that! Cory looks a little off to me somehow. The ampelo is alright, but my god that sucho. Incredible! Here's hoping they all fit in 1/35.

Gwangi

You always have to take advertisement pictures with a grain of salt. What you see is not always what you get. Case in point, I  was excited about this Papo wolf until I saw what it REALLY looked like.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on November 17, 2023, 05:09:13 PMMy, I was not expecting that! Cory looks a little off to me somehow. The ampelo is alright, but my god that sucho. Incredible! Here's hoping they all fit in 1/35.

Agreed, I hope the scale fits 1:35-ish, then it could go with my PNSO version as perhaps a male option, and with my Papo Allo (:

I think the Suchomimus shown is a digital render too, really hoping the quality remains.

Tracewyrm!

Higher-res images of the figures!

Not incredible res, mind you, but I'm pretty sure it's better than what we had
* (It's locked.)

Concavenator

Quote from: Lynx on November 17, 2023, 01:29:26 PMI have seen this on threads from HLG to Safari LTD, but what's with the whole 'thing being disappointing' because another company also released the same species/genus? PNSO especially, which is way more expensive and arguably poor for children. Companies make these sculpts months ahead of time. There is more than a need for certain species even if a good model already exists. It never hurts, and most of the time is more affordable for people if there are more options on the market.

It's simple, there are lots of species that are overdue for getting either a good/updated figure or a first one, so releasing > 1 good figure of a certain animal is unnecessary (from my own perspective). That has nothing to do with the fact that it may be a good decision from a commercial standpoint, that there will be a good Suchomimus figure easier to find on physical shops in western countries than the PNSO or that there will be more good options for this particular animal.

About the concept of "options", there's a detail that's worth mentioning: the quality of the available options. There's a reason why people get so excited when a good new figure of an overdue animal is released (like Safari's Utahraptor, HLG's Pentaceratops, Apatosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Edmontonia...). It's not like there weren't options for those species before (there were) but that for a lot of people, there wasn't any particularly noteworthy one.

I don't think one can affirm PNSO's version will be "way more expensive" than Papo's. This depends entirely on where you purchase the figures and where you are located. Me, being based on an European country, I guess I could get the Papo Suchomimus for cheaper than the PNSO if I bought it online and from certain shops. But say I waited for it to arrive at my local Papo seller, I can assure you it would definitely not be way cheaper. Actually, it would be around the same price or perhaps even more expensive!

Spoiler
That store's prices are quite overpriced. The tiny Papo Gorgosaurus costs 30 € there and the Papo Pentaceratops, 39 €, just to give you an example. If the Suchomimus ends up being bigger than the Gorgosaurus (which will probably be the case), it could cost more than 30 €. Right now I can get the PNSO Suchomimus for ~ 39 € (granted, there's a sale going on AliExpress, but I never pay full-price for a PNSO figure at this point.) So of course pricing depends on the store.

And if I was in China, I'm confident I could get the PNSO Suchomimus for cheaper than the Papo, with the former being a local product and the latter an imported one.
[close]

On the whole, I'm not really disappointed by Papo's upcoming releases. If anything, I'm glad. Because, even though I don't plan to get any of the figures, with the Suchomimus they've shown they can still manage to do a decent job, even if occasionally. To be honest, at this point I'd assumed I'm done with Papo and you know what? Maybe I was wrong!

crazy8wizard

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 16, 2023, 09:42:13 PMI'm making my predictions now that the Ampelosaurus will have giant pebbly textured skin, the Corythosaurus will have no rhamphotheca and be upright, and the Suchomimus will be covered in spike things and leaning downward.
Well, I was wrong about the poses but I was right about the details.
That being said, The Suchomimus is neat but I don't like the other two

Sim

The Corythosaurus doesn't interest me, and it looks like the splint-like digit has been placed on the inside instead of the outside?  The Ampelosaurus also doesn't interest me.  The Suchomimus looks excellent.  It makes me excited about Papo theropods again.  I prefer to get species I don't already have in my collection, but this new Papo Suchomimus might join my PNSO version!

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2023, 06:25:24 PMPlease just post them here.
Facebook twitter any of those places wont let me see

Shared them as pictures earlier, they should work
* (It's locked.)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on November 17, 2023, 06:34:11 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on November 17, 2023, 06:25:24 PMPlease just post them here.
Facebook twitter any of those places wont let me see

Shared them as pictures earlier, they should work
Oh i see, i thought they were new ones

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on November 17, 2023, 05:51:45 PMHigher-res images of the figures!

Not incredible res, mind you, but I'm pretty sure it's better than what we had

Bummer that Sucho is just a render but its gonna be peak Papo regardless

Ampelosaurus looks good despite seemingly being from the Amarga's sculptor, will probably get that one

The search for a good Corythosaurus model continues

Overall i'm just really glad that Papo is seemingly getting back on track
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Ivántirrophus

Papo ampelosaurus looks much better than Haoolongood's 😀

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Ivántirrophus on November 17, 2023, 07:43:17 PMPapo ampelosaurus looks much better than Haoolongood's 😀
I love Papo, but i think HLG is far better

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: