News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on December 09, 2023, 05:52:26 PMI'm leaning towards the purple variant myself, I think the orange gradient is a really interesting touch.

Of course, I'll hold off on making any decision until I see the actual painted models.

same here. I liked the original A version, but now it looks a lot like my Mattel Dreadnoghtus.

Takama

They just reveald a Stegosaurus ungulatus

YES!!!!

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Takama on December 10, 2023, 08:53:09 AMThey just reveald a Stegosaurus ungulatus

YES!!!!
Yeah! Just a question about the thagomizer position... Isn't it a bit too straight than necessary? I thought the most up-to-date form of the stegosaurians thag was like PNSO's Dinosaur Museum Line Biber, more downward facing.
Here's the original publication https://www.instagram.com/p/C0qmCQqLvbX/?igshid=ODhhZWM5NmIwOQ==

postsaurischian

thomasw100

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on December 10, 2023, 09:02:34 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 10, 2023, 08:53:09 AMThey just reveald a Stegosaurus ungulatus

YES!!!!
Yeah! Just a question about the thagomizer position... Isn't it a bit too straight than necessary? I thought the most up-to-date form of the stegosaurians thag was like PNSO's Dinosaur Museum Line Biber, more downward facing.
Here's the original publication https://www.instagram.com/p/C0qmCQqLvbX/?igshid=ODhhZWM5NmIwOQ==

My understanding was that the spikes on the thagomizer, according to the most recent reconstructions, should be oriented essentially parallel to the axis of the tail and not pointing upward. This was noted as being the case for the PNSO museum line Stegosaurus model. Now of course I do not know if we have the same level of evidence for the Stegosaurus ungulatus. Another question that I would have is concerning the shape of the plates which have a rather large aspect ratio. But one can find indeed skeletal reconstructions of Stegosaurus ungulatus that show this, see figure from a paper by Peter Galton (Swiss Journal of Geoscience, v. 103, p. 187-198, 2010) below. The top skeletal shows stenops and the bottom ungulatus. The scale bar is 1 meter.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 10, 2023, 09:14:27 AM

YES!!!!

:D

AN S. UNGULATUS! This might very well be my first HLG model! So happy to see it being represented finally (:

LucasLiu

Concavenator

Stegosaurus ungulatus is a nice choice. However, I only collect 1 figure per genus and I'm happy with S. stenops (Safari's Sophie), so this will be a skip.

avatar_Sim @Sim You were asking for a S. ungulatus, so I bet you will be pleased to see this!

thomasw100

It appears that the number of plates on the Halolonggood model and the skeletal reconstruction by Peter Galton is the same. It would be really great if Haolonggood in the future also publishes a brief documentation which scientific sources or skeletal reconstructions were used to create a model. Obviously there is continuing debate and disagreement among scientists about many aspects of these dinosaurs and sometimes one has to make a choice which scientific model to follow. But if this choice would be documented, whether one agrees with this choice or not, this would really be a major step forward in my view.

Sim

Yes, yes, yes!  Yes, I'm very happy to see this! ^-^  Haolonggood makes such great species choices!

Stegotyranno420

A few things I am hoping from HLG.

I hope/would like to be informed regarding the short neck. From what I heard, both species, stegosaurs in general, had long necks to some extent. Hoping that could be checked or rexamined, especially with the disconuity with its close relatives produced as well.

I hope it is a large hefty figure. S.stenops may have been gracile but for S.ungulatus I hope they go all out for the size department, maybe 10 inches or so.
This was a larger species.

Finally, I hope we have one of the variants be the classic darkish green with red plates. Of course I know some will not be pleased, but it is a classic colorscheme, and since HLG offers variants of figures, this would be a good compromise

postsaurischian

Wonderful design for my taste. Can't wait for this figure!
 The neck seems right to me. It's obviously slightly turned to the left.
 I hope it will be a little bit smaller than REBOR's S. stenops.

Flaffy

Quote from: thomasw100 on December 10, 2023, 09:30:38 AM
Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on December 10, 2023, 09:02:34 AM

YES!!!!

My understanding was that the spikes on the thagomizer, according to the most recent reconstructions, should be oriented essentially parallel to the axis of the tail and not pointing upward. This was noted as being the case for the PNSO museum line Stegosaurus model. Now of course I do not know if we have the same level of evidence for the Stegosaurus ungulatus. Another question that I would have is concerning the shape of the plates which have a rather large aspect ratio. But one can find indeed skeletal reconstructions of Stegosaurus ungulatus that show this, see figure from a paper by Peter Galton (Swiss Journal of Geoscience, v. 103, p. 187-198, 2010) below. The top skeletal shows stenops and the bottom ungulatus. The scale bar is 1 meter.

Shouldn't the thagomizers on the HLG sculpt be closer to the distal end of the tail? (i.e. tail tip)

The amount of space between the tail tip and the thagomizers reminds me of the Safari ltd Kentrosaurus.

Sim

The tail spikes of the Safari Kentrosaurus are definitely misplaced, finds of articulated tail spikes of Kentrosaurus show they attached to the tip of the tail.  And its very odd how a lot of its tail is free of spikes.  I personally would place the spikes of Stegosaurus ungulatus closer to the tip of the tail but it's not a deal breaker for me where they are currently.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on December 10, 2023, 07:41:14 PMThe tail spikes of the Safari Kentrosaurus are definitely misplaced, finds of articulated tail spikes of Kentrosaurus show they attached to the tip of the tail.  And its very odd how a lot of its tail is free of spikes.  I personally would place the spikes of Stegosaurus ungulatus closer to the tip of the tail but it's not a deal breaker for me where they are currently.

Had not noticed this at first, but this is an issue that should be still corrected if possible. The PNSO Stegosaurus has the spikes correctly close to the end of the tail and actually this is also the case for the Haolonggood Dacentrurus.

Concavenator

Quote from: Flaffy on December 10, 2023, 07:30:58 PMShouldn't the thagomizers on the HLG sculpt be closer to the distal end of the tail? (i.e. tail tip)

Yeah, this should be corrected.

Prehistory Resurrection

I think S.ungulatus is interesting. I think the last model of S. ungulatus was the Battat one if I'm not mistaken.  S.stenops is over-represented, so it's a nice change of air.
Speaking of S.ungulatus, it just made its way in the game Jurassic World Alive;

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on December 10, 2023, 08:14:52 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 10, 2023, 07:30:58 PMShouldn't the thagomizers on the HLG sculpt be closer to the distal end of the tail? (i.e. tail tip)

Yeah, this should be corrected.
If left uncorrected, I'd have to remove (surgically) part of the tip of the tail.

thomasw100

It is actually quite significant that now even DinosDragons repeatedly criticizes the white wiggly lines on the Tlatolophus and on some other Haolonggood models and picks this issue as one of the two negative aspects that he mentions at the end of the video. Seeing these wiggly lines and some of the white spots on the in hand model they are even more disturbing than on the promotional images. It is really not easy to understand that they are not doing away with these wiggly lines which now in several cases disrupt an otherwise really lovely paint application. I really hope that Haolonggood will listen to this and reconsider if they will apply the white lines in future releases.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: