News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 21, 2023, 02:14:12 PMIf a Spinosaurus doesn't come with a fish, I won't buy it. Them's the rules.

Quote from: Shane on December 20, 2023, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on December 20, 2023, 05:47:12 PMEach time a new Museum Line PNSO dinosaur is revealed, I cry inside knowing it is beautiful, but unnecessarily expensive. About double the cost for a few extra posters, a cheap stand like the normal line and a small miniature skull, which no one asked for. I'll celebrate the day this line is retired in favor of the normal line, if it ever happens.

The museum line dinosaurs are not better detailed and also not better painted than the regular line.

Part of me kinda wonders (and this is totally speculation, so don't quote me) if the Museum line's expensive retail price is meant to offset the relatively cheaper price of the other prehistoric figures.

Like, maybe the ideal middle ground price is somewhere in between, but they're able to maintain a less expensive range by having a much higher price point on their museum figures.

Again, just speculation, but it really seems like either the Museum price point is artificially high, or the other figures' price point is artificially low.

I think the Museum Line price point is artificially high, but I think it's mostly because PNSO figures the species in the line have sufficiently committed fan bases that they can extract more money from them. I suppose that could also have the side effect of subsidizing the rest of the line, although as others have said I'm not sure the others are priced artificially low. They might have been back when they were $22 each, though. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that PNSO was taking losses early on.

That makes a certain amount of sense. I definitely had my suspicions that PNSO was taking losses early on, and their pricing adjustment of their "main line" figures would seem to support that. I've talked before about the inflated "perceived value" of the Museum Line, throwing in bases, posters, an accessory, or other things that are unlikely to have a high cost, but can drive up perceived value.

I agree that the Museum line favors dinosaurs that usually have a built-in audience, so they're able to charge what they do and folks will begrudgingly pay it. My Torosaurus & Triceratops say hi.

Tracewyrm!

Another helpful size chart, with other PNSO figures and 1:35 Spinosaurus estimates, courtesy of @TheAmazingSpino on twitter!

It's closer to 1:35 than I initially thought, at least for a 13m specimen.

* (It's locked.)

SRF

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on December 21, 2023, 06:11:13 PMAnother helpful size chart, with other PNSO figures and 1:35 Spinosaurus estimates, courtesy of @TheAmazingSpino on twitter!

It's closer to 1:35 than I initially thought, at least for a 13m specimen.

I really like how this Spinosaurus looks next to Cameron. Definitely going onto my want list.
But today, I'm just being father

SenSx

Thanks for this comparaison Tracewyrm !
What about the Mesozoic Life Spinosaurus, is it really 1/35 ?
It seems to be on the other side, quite big, maybe too big for that scale.

Manospundylus gigas

Do you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year? I'm thinking about buying Cameron for 60$ but the possibility that they might make a new version with lips soon puts me off.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on December 21, 2023, 08:37:52 PMDo you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year? I'm thinking about buying Cameron for 60$ but the possibility that they might make a new version with lips soon puts me off.
I doubt it would come so soon, but I'm certain we'll get one in the next 3 years at least. Personally I already have Wilson and plan to buy eofauna's, so I'll hold off on Cameron for the time being in favor of species I don't have.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on December 21, 2023, 08:37:52 PMDo you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year?

...I sure hope not!

Eatmycar

I'd be surprised if they don't remake T. rex next year. They didn't hesitate to release Wilson, Andrea, and the Nanotyrannus in the same year for goodness' sake.

GojiraGuy1954

Its crazy how a skull beat out a baby and especially prey
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Pliosaurking

It's too bad it didn't come with a prey item, however the skull is still a nice feature to include. I'm on the fence for grabbing this one however due to the Mesozoic life Spinosaurus.

Eatmycar

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 21, 2023, 09:35:24 PMIts crazy how a skull beat out a baby and especially prey

Yeah I don't get that - at all. I guess you can make the argument that they did a baby Spinosaurus in the miniature dinosaur line so we already have one? Or a skull to compare to Cameron and the Triceratops... in the museum line?

I mean that's the rationale I'd apply if I voted for a skull over a baby.

SenSx

Quote from: Pliosaurking on December 21, 2023, 09:44:16 PMIt's too bad it didn't come with a prey item, however the skull is still a nice feature to include. I'm on the fence for grabbing this one however due to the Mesozoic life Spinosaurus.

Yes same I'm waiting for the Mesozoic life Spinosaurus as well.
I did not kickstart it however, I should have... I wonder what the price will be on retailers.

SidB

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 21, 2023, 09:17:56 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on December 21, 2023, 08:37:52 PMDo you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year?

...I sure hope not!
I'm certainly in no rush for a new one as I've commissioned Bravo Models to put lips on a Cameron. Expecting it any day now, so PNSO can take their time with this 'lipping', as far as I'm concerned

Dan

Use Dan's Dinosaurs promo code "dtfmember" during checkout for
$20.00 off PNSO Spinosaurus 2024 version
Offer expires today
Redeem here:
https://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/spinosaurus-2024-version-by-pnso/

Stratos

I think "Aymen" the Spinosaurus looks amazing, it's the last therapod I've been waiting for besides a new Cameron with lips.

Flaffy

Oof $70 that's certainly a price tag...

Stegotyranno420

Eh...Now Im losing interest in PNSO's and ML's (good figure, but not 70 bucks good, especially since its smaller than the Tyrannosaurus)
I will have to see the YT reviewa

I will just stick to Papo's for now.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Flaffy on December 22, 2023, 03:56:29 PMOof $70 that's certainly a price tag...

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy - what do you think of the previous PNSO, which has a similar sculpt but is 'hunched over'? Some suggest it's quadrupedal, but I can see it as hunched over a kill, or defending territory, or fighting for a mate.
If it's similar enough otherwise, it would be a good, but cheaper option, huh?

Flaffy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 22, 2023, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on December 22, 2023, 03:56:29 PMOof $70 that's certainly a price tag...

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy - what do you think of the previous PNSO, which has a similar sculpt but is 'hunched over'? Some suggest it's quadrupedal, but I can see it as hunched over a kill, or defending territory, or fighting for a mate.
If it's similar enough otherwise, it would be a good, but cheaper option, huh?

Scaled to 1:35 iirc it perfectly represents the size of the subadult specimen FSAC-KK 11888 (the one where they actually found the tail in).

Features that makes it inferior to the upcoming version:
- Oversized scales, was sculpted before PNSO refined their detailing technique to modern standards
- Back of the skull is far too wide, likely an artefact of accomodating the jaw articulation
- Short neck, similar issue to the Mesozoic Life version(?)
- M-sail depending on who you ask
- Sunken in abdomen

Other minor considerations
- Pose
- Digit I on the left feet probably could've been more weight-bearing
- Later production runs have vastly inferior paint jobs compared to the original run
- According to more knowledgable people, the tail is too short based on unpublished data, which adds a couple extra caudals. Unknown if the upcoming version takes this into account, but most likely not.

That's not to say that PNSO Eissen V.2 is a bad model. It's just that PNSO has raised the bar so high lately that even their older efforts from just a few short years ago cannot compare. Comparison between our understanding of Spinosaurus in 2020 versus 2023 shown below:

bmathison1972

Thank you VERY MUCH for that detailed comparison. That being said, a lot of those issues are pretty minor given that it's about half the cost  ;)
I'll think about it, but either way, after being loyal to Safari for 5 years, it's time to upgrade ye old Spinosaurus in my collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: