News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel1905

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on December 21, 2023, 08:37:52 PMDo you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year? I'm thinking about buying Cameron for 60$ but the possibility that they might make a new version with lips soon puts me off.

There's a leaked image of Zhao working on a digital model of what looks like AMNH 5027 (Winter Wilson) but with lips, so I bet its coming soon.

LucasLiu

SRF

Quote from: Joel1905 on December 22, 2023, 07:04:53 PM
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on December 21, 2023, 08:37:52 PMDo you guys think PNSO is going to remake again Tyrannosaurus next year? I'm thinking about buying Cameron for 60$ but the possibility that they might make a new version with lips soon puts me off.

There's a leaked image of Zhao working on a digital model of what looks like AMNH 5027 (Winter Wilson) but with lips, so I bet its coming soon.

This sounds interesting. Where can we find this leaked image?
But today, I'm just being father

Concavenator

Primeval12

Quote from: Dan on December 22, 2023, 09:40:08 AMUse Dan's Dinosaurs promo code "dtfmember" during checkout for
$20.00 off PNSO Spinosaurus 2024 version
Offer expires today
Redeem here:
https://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/spinosaurus-2024-version-by-pnso/

$69.99 - Nice hahah. I have Amazon money plus a lot of the PNSO models eventually end up discounted on Amazon. I normally wouldn't spend that much on a model but I think for Spinosaurus I can make an exception.

cryolophosaurus

Flaffy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 22, 2023, 05:15:37 PMThank you VERY MUCH for that detailed comparison. That being said, a lot of those issues are pretty minor given that it's about half the cost  ;)
I'll think about it, but either way, after being loyal to Safari for 5 years, it's time to upgrade ye old Spinosaurus in my collection.

He's worth it, again not a bad figure. I have him in my collection afterall. I do highly reccomend you track down a copy from the original run though if possible. The paint job on later runs of Eissen V.2 are notoriously bad, lacking many of the subtlties of the original. It's a night and day difference.

With the reveal of Aymen I don't imagine you having much trouble finding one, as people might sell their Eissen V.2 to make funds/room for the new Spinosaurus.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Flaffy on December 22, 2023, 08:57:48 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 22, 2023, 05:15:37 PMThank you VERY MUCH for that detailed comparison. That being said, a lot of those issues are pretty minor given that it's about half the cost  ;)
I'll think about it, but either way, after being loyal to Safari for 5 years, it's time to upgrade ye old Spinosaurus in my collection.

He's worth it, again not a bad figure. I have him in my collection afterall. I do highly reccomend you track down a copy from the original run though if possible. The paint job on later runs of Eissen V.2 are notoriously bad, lacking many of the subtlties of the original. It's a night and day difference.

With the reveal of Aymen I don't imagine you having much trouble finding one, as people might sell their Eissen V.2 to make funds/room for the new Spinosaurus.

He is a good figure, I'm honestly only selling mine because I'm moving, if you're interested I wouldn't mind selling mines to you

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on December 22, 2023, 08:17:34 PM

Oh wow, may I know which video this screenshot was taken from? Or was it just a random picture? If a lipped Winter Wilson was released with finer scalation, I would honestly snap it up asap (and maybe sell off my OG Winter Wilson...)

Joel1905

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on December 22, 2023, 08:47:12 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 22, 2023, 08:17:34 PM
three fingered rex...so cursed

There's just two arms overlaid onto each other on each side for the sake of anatomical reference

Concavenator

avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus It was an image shared by Paleofiguras.

Flaffy

Plenty of in-hand pics of the new Spinosaurus on Paleofiguras's facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Paleofiguras

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Flaffy on December 23, 2023, 01:46:37 PMPlenty of in-hand pics of the new Spinosaurus on Paleofiguras's facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Paleofiguras

Scales better with Cameron than I expected!

* (It's locked.)

JohannesB

No lips on this theropod? Not to seem too ignorant, but does that tell us they assume Spinosaurus was in the water (with its head) much of the time, like a croc?

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: JohannesB on December 23, 2023, 04:30:05 PMNo lips on this theropod? Not to seem too ignorant, but does that tell us they assume Spinosaurus was in the water (with its head) much of the time, like a croc?

Well yes, that does seem to be PNSO's reasoning behind the lack of lips on Spinosaurids.
Now, I remember them also saying that Suchomimus lacked lips, so whether the implication is that Suchomimus also spent a lot of its time in water, to a crocodilian extent or because it spent an extended amount of time with its snout submerged while wading is up to interpretation, I'd say.

Maybe they're being intentionally a little more vague so that the reconstruction can hypothetically work out with whichever Spinosaurus feeding method you follow?

The main takeaway is that because of their more unique position as more or less "semi-aquatic" theropods, the Spinosaurids are the theropod group you can most easily get away with reconstructing lipless.
* (It's locked.)

thomasw100

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on December 23, 2023, 04:47:22 PM
Quote from: JohannesB on December 23, 2023, 04:30:05 PMNo lips on this theropod? Not to seem too ignorant, but does that tell us they assume Spinosaurus was in the water (with its head) much of the time, like a croc?

Well yes, that does seem to be PNSO's reasoning behind the lack of lips on Spinosaurids.
Now, I remember them also saying that Suchomimus lacked lips, so whether the implication is that Suchomimus also spent a lot of its time in water, to a crocodilian extent or because it spent an extended amount of time with its snout submerged while wading is up to interpretation, I'd say.

Maybe they're being intentionally a little more vague so that the reconstruction can hypothetically work out with whichever Spinosaurus feeding method you follow?

The main takeaway is that because of their more unique position as more or less "semi-aquatic" theropods, the Spinosaurids are the theropod group you can most easily get away with reconstructing lipless.

I would think that technically it would be more difficult to obtain a perfect seal for an articulated jaw with a lipped version of these narrow snouts that spinosaurids have. So they probably want to avoid that issue entirely by leaving them lipless.

dragon53

ceratopsian

In the video, Mr Zhao Chuang has constantly to keep hold of his model to stop it tipping over.  The only time it seems to stand without his fingertips balancing it is when the end of the tail is off the edge of the table.

Bread

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 26, 2023, 03:30:02 PMIn the video, Mr Zhao Chuang has constantly to keep hold of his model to stop it tipping over.  The only time it seems to stand without his fingertips balancing it is when the end of the tail is off the edge of the table.
Well, at least it comes with a support rod.

ceratopsian

True avatar_Bread @Bread!  Looks like it will be essential.
Quote from: Bread on December 26, 2023, 03:37:05 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on December 26, 2023, 03:30:02 PMIn the video, Mr Zhao Chuang has constantly to keep hold of his model to stop it tipping over.  The only time it seems to stand without his fingertips balancing it is when the end of the tail is off the edge of the table.
Well, at least it comes with a support rod.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: