News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Each time a new Museum Line PNSO dinosaur is revealed, I cry inside knowing it is beautiful, but unnecessarily expensive. About double the cost for a few extra posters, a cheap stand like the normal line and a small miniature skull, which no one asked for. I'll celebrate the day this line is retired in favor of the normal line, if it ever happens.

The museum line dinosaurs are not better detailed and also not better painted than the regular line.

Shane

Quote from: Ikessauro on December 20, 2023, 05:47:12 PMEach time a new Museum Line PNSO dinosaur is revealed, I cry inside knowing it is beautiful, but unnecessarily expensive. About double the cost for a few extra posters, a cheap stand like the normal line and a small miniature skull, which no one asked for. I'll celebrate the day this line is retired in favor of the normal line, if it ever happens.

The museum line dinosaurs are not better detailed and also not better painted than the regular line.

Part of me kinda wonders (and this is totally speculation, so don't quote me) if the Museum line's expensive retail price is meant to offset the relatively cheaper price of the other prehistoric figures.

Like, maybe the ideal middle ground price is somewhere in between, but they're able to maintain a less expensive range by having a much higher price point on their museum figures.

Again, just speculation, but it really seems like either the Museum price point is artificially high, or the other figures' price point is artificially low.

thomasw100

Quote from: Shane on December 20, 2023, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: Ikessauro on December 20, 2023, 05:47:12 PMEach time a new Museum Line PNSO dinosaur is revealed, I cry inside knowing it is beautiful, but unnecessarily expensive. About double the cost for a few extra posters, a cheap stand like the normal line and a small miniature skull, which no one asked for. I'll celebrate the day this line is retired in favor of the normal line, if it ever happens.

Part of me kinda wonders (and this is totally speculation, so don't quote me) if the Museum line's expensive retail price is meant to offset the relatively cheaper price of the other prehistoric figures.

Like, maybe the ideal middle ground price is somewhere in between, but they're able to maintain a less expensive range by having a much higher price point on their museum figures.

Again, just speculation, but it really seems like either the Museum price point is artificially high, or the other figures' price point is artificially low.

I would not say that the price of Prehistoric Figures line is exceptionally low. Compare this price for example with that of Haolonggood figures right now. The typical PNSO model costs about twice as much as the typical Haolonggood model. OK the paint application of most PNSO figures is still more complex and they come with some printed matter, but the raw unpainted model is in both cases mass produced. I do not know how the painting is being done, if this is partly automated and partly by hand. That would actually be quite interesting to really know how this is actually done.

SidB

A nice color match with their previous smaller Spino. This would definitely retire my first generation dragonish PNSO Spinosaurus in my diorama.

Eatmycar

Quote from: Concavenator on December 20, 2023, 04:00:41 PM
Quote from: Eatmycar on December 20, 2023, 03:57:14 PMIt's pretty... but will it stand?

That's why they include those support rods.

But that's not an excuse, anymore.

HLG can make their theropods stand without warping overtime and no support rods. PNSO still hasn't solved the biggest issue with their figures aside from the boring paint jobs.

At this point it is completely unfair to give them a pass for something HLG has actually solved, rather than giving people a rod and telling them good luck when it does eventually warp.

thomasw100

Quote from: Eatmycar on December 20, 2023, 08:45:42 PMBut that's not an excuse, anymore.

HLG can make their theropods stand without warping overtime and no support rods. PNSO still hasn't solved the biggest issue with their figures aside from the boring paint jobs.

At this point it is completely unfair to give them a pass for something HLG has actually solved, rather than giving people a rod and telling them good luck when it does eventually warp.

I fully agree with you on the issue of warping. They should have long addresses that. But I would not agree on your opinion on the paint application. What you call boring I would call a very natural look which I very much like. So the first thing is an objective problem whereas the second one is a matter of individual taste where no two people would probably ever agree on everything.

Carnoking

Anyone else curious how this one might have looked with lips? Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with the lipless look here but given what a face lift it was for Donald and Depeng, it would certainly be interesting to see how PNSO tackled extra oral tissue on Spinosaurs

Sim

I'm not curious about how it would have looked, as I think it would have looked like what REBOR has shown of theirs, or like Mark Witton's artwork.  I also doubt spinosaurids had lips, so I'm not interested in seeing a Spinosaurus with lips.

Tracewyrm!

We've known this is coming for a good while now, but its good to finally get it out the way! I'm still on the fence personally, but, to follow up on my older size comparisons, here's one based on the newly given measurements for Aymen.

Of course, this is assuming that the 14cm height is measured at the top of the crown, just behind the head, rather than, say, the tip of the sail or some other redundant point.

Personally, it's smaller than I'd hope but about as large as I'd expect, looking back at Essien.

EDIT: Ok, I actually checked the lengths as well to be sure and going off them instead, the seem to give a slightly large Spino? Idk if they rounded one of the estimates at some point or if my process was wrong (likely the latter) but I want to have everything covered. ALT Length comparison provided below

* (It's locked.)

Concavenator

Quote from: Eatmycar on December 20, 2023, 08:45:42 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on December 20, 2023, 04:00:41 PM
Quote from: Eatmycar on December 20, 2023, 03:57:14 PMIt's pretty... but will it stand?

That's why they include those support rods.

But that's not an excuse, anymore.

"HLG has achieved this". Not really. Most of the time they do, but sometimes compromises are made, like the Dilophosaurus with a torso that's too short. Other figures may generally be stable, but stability can't be taken for granted. I've seen some people mention their HLG Carcharodontosaurus has trouble standing, and others that, while their Carnotaurus stands, the slightest touch would make it fall. The support rod is very clearly the better solution if you ask me, and I very much hope they will keep on including it (don't see any reason why they should change this).

Sim

I personally think it's cool PNSO made the big three theropods for this year.  The Spinosaurus was very wanted, now that they've made it I wonder what they will make next?  Dromaeosaurids, plesiosauroids, pterosaurs?  These three groups have been neglected by some companies, but in recent years CollectA has been giving attention to them.  It would be awesome if PNSO did too.

Carnoking

Quote from: Sim on December 20, 2023, 09:26:15 PMI'm not curious about how it would have looked, as I think it would have looked like what REBOR has shown of theirs, or like Mark Witton's artwork.  I also doubt spinosaurids had lips, so I'm not interested in seeing a Spinosaurus with lips.

Assuming REBOR actually delivers on the figure. They've certainly been better about that lately but I don't frequently count their eggs in regards to what's available on the market.
I'm sure PNSO's figure would put us in mind of Mark Witton's depiction but I sure wouldn't mind having something like that in model form.

Sim

Oh, I think I might've taken what you said too literally!  I thought you meant being curious about how lips would look on a Spinosaurus figure, but it sounds like you meant being curious about what it would be like to have a Spinosaurus figure with lips?

Regarding what PNSO will make next, I wonder whether they plan to entirely replace their museum line figures with bases?  They've made new versions of Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Yangchuanosaurus, Giganotosaurus, Mamenchisaurus and Spinosaurus...  The only ones left are Amargasaurus, Mosasaurus and Chungkingosaurus.

SenSx

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on December 20, 2023, 09:41:50 PMWe've known this is coming for a good while now, but its good to finally get it out the way! I'm still on the fence personally, but, to follow up on my older size comparisons, here's one based on the newly given measurements for Aymen.

Of course, this is assuming that the 14cm height is measured at the top of the crown, just behind the head, rather than, say, the tip of the sail or some other redundant point.

Personally, it's smaller than I'd hope but about as large as I'd expect, looking back at Essien.

EDIT: Ok, I actually checked the lengths as well to be sure and going off them instead, the seem to give a slightly large Spino? Idk if they rounded one of the estimates at some point or if my process was wrong (likely the latter) but I want to have everything covered. ALT Length comparison provided below

Thanks for the comparaison screens.
The Spino seems to be small mass wize compare to the Rex no ?

Bread

Isn't Spinosaurus 'longer' but not 'larger' than Tyrannosaurus?

The comparisons, if correct, seems about right to me.

oscars_dinos

Maybe its cuz it leaked or maybe its because im tired of spino changing its appearance every two years but Im not super excited for this figure, I honestly might even skip it, that's not to say it isn't good its very good actually its just what I said above... I guess its a bad time to mention im selling my old pnso spino huh?

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Bread on December 21, 2023, 12:47:55 AMIsn't Spinosaurus 'longer' but not 'larger' than Tyrannosaurus?

The comparisons, if correct, seems about right to me.

That's true, though depending on how much length is lost to curvature, this Spino may be around the same length as the T.rex, rather than being longer. Putting aside curvature, Aymen is 32.5 cm long while Cameron measures in at a solid 35.

It's not really possible to say just how much of the length is lost right now, but it may still leave some size to be desired, especially for a species known for being the longest theropod.
* (It's locked.)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: oscars_dinos on December 21, 2023, 01:00:13 AMMaybe its cuz it leaked or maybe its because im tired of spino changing its appearance every two years but Im not super excited for this figure, I honestly might even skip it, that's not to say it isn't good its very good actually its just what I said above... I guess its a bad time to mention im selling my old pnso spino huh?

Probably. lol PNSO figures don't hold much resell value anyway.

Flaffy

Wow, didn't take long for PNSO to going back to their theropods huh O:-)

I think I've pinpointed why this model feels off (for me personally):
- the conservative oral integument clashes with the rest of the well-muscled sculpt
- not a huge fan of the large square scales on the deltoids
- harsh transition from tail muscles to neural spines, I feel like this was better executed on their previous quad spino
- paint scheme, kinda worked for the "juvenile" model, but would've liked to see soemthing new for the adult

That said I am warming up to the figure though... pending extortionate PNSO museum series price tag. While I do prefer Mesozoic Life's take (despite potentially having a neck that's too short?), I'm inclined to pick up both interpretations of the sail (M-sail vs round sail) and just chalk it up to dimorphism. It'd be a shame if it wasn't in true 1:35 scale though, size is definitely another big selling point for Spinosaurus.

Halichoeres

If a Spinosaurus doesn't come with a fish, I won't buy it. Them's the rules.

Quote from: Shane on December 20, 2023, 06:46:13 PM

I think the Museum Line price point is artificially high, but I think it's mostly because PNSO figures the species in the line have sufficiently committed fan bases that they can extract more money from them. I suppose that could also have the side effect of subsidizing the rest of the line, although as others have said I'm not sure the others are priced artificially low. They might have been back when they were $22 each, though. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that PNSO was taking losses early on.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: