You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your least favorite dinosaur?

Started by brontosauruschuck, March 22, 2020, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marisaura

i don't dislike any dinosaur per se, although i do find it both grating and amusing how there seems to be an entire long-standing subculture of people obsessed with spreading conspiracy theories about how saurophaganax/allosaurus maximus has a treasure trove of secret undescribed material that reveals it's actually a 40-foot carcharodontosaur

the PNSO figure is great though

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Gwangi on February 07, 2024, 08:29:54 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 07, 2024, 08:14:21 PMavatar_Perotorum @Perotorum . I dont like popular music of the modern era, so I would not say I like the name for what it means and represents. Besides naming things after celebrities is another thing I do not like. But at least it is done more cleverly.

I don't think David Bowie's Starman is a "popular song of the modern era".
For me, modern pop music begins in the 1920s or so.

Gwangi

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 08, 2024, 12:43:23 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 07, 2024, 08:14:21 PMavatar_Perotorum @Perotorum . I dont like popular music of the modern era, so I would not say I like the name for what it means and represents. Besides naming things after celebrities is another thing I do not like. But at least it is done more cleverly.

Well, to quote a popular song of the modern era, "people are strange" (The Doors, 1967).

postsaurischian

This is nonsense. Nobody knew about the term "pop music" in the 20s. It has started in the 50s and established in the 60s.
 If you like it or not, the Beatles' influence on the following musician generations can't be denied.

Apart from this off topic discussion I think this is the most useless thread title I've ever seen.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 08, 2024, 08:43:01 AM

This is nonsense. Nobody knew about the term "pop music" in the 20s. It has started in the 50s and established in the 60s.
 If you like it or not, the Beatles' influence on the following musician generations can't be denied.

Apart from this off topic discussion I think this is the most useless thread title I've ever seen.
I make this division since its coincides with other cultural trends. The culture of 1920s vs. 1910 was radically different in some areas. This might be more of an America centric thing, but I just group music, fashion and other cultural things all under this otherwise arbritary category. That is why specified "for me." To show my perspective.

Bread

How can pop music start when for you in the 1920s, when it wasn't a thing until as early as the 1940s? And 1940s is kind of stretching it in terms of early as it was just establishing, as majority consider the 1950s to really be the start.

Gwangi

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 08, 2024, 03:21:49 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on February 08, 2024, 08:43:01 AM

I make this division since its coincides with other cultural trends. The culture of 1920s vs. 1910 was radically different in some areas. This might be more of an America centric thing, but I just group music, fashion and other cultural things all under this otherwise arbritary category. That is why specified "for me." To show my perspective.

That's certainly an opinion you can have but the 1920's, or even the 1970's, don't count as "modern" and if your definition of what is modern incudes those decades it makes the term meaningless. Modern pertains to the present day, quite specifically. If you count the 20th century as modern then you're ignoring the radically different cultures that have come about over the last 100 years. Also, I've never heard a song from the 1920's that sounds remotely like the popular music of today, or even the 1950's. I agree with avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian , pop music as a genre started in the 50's-60's.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Bread on February 08, 2024, 03:47:36 PMHow can pop music start when for you in the 1920s, when it wasn't a thing until as early as the 1940s? And 1940s is kind of stretching it in terms of early as it was just establishing, as majority consider the 1950s to really be the start.
I guess its a difference in semantics, terms and interpretation. Maybe it wasnt called Pop music per se, but it saw the rise of genres such as Jazz, which are more similar to Subsequent genres than Classical.
Of course, there will be overlap, it is not like classical immediately dies right after.
Besides I group those together based on other cultural changes. Imagine being in the city in 1900 vs 1920. You would had noticed a major chaneg in the fashion, adoption of slang, new technologies, music, different societal norms. Once again this is a rather America centric POV. I have never said for anyone else to adopt that system
Others may consider Jazz or even Rock to be old music, but for my purposes and interpretation, any new genres rising after that general period of c
1920- or so is modern.

Halichoeres

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 Frankly I'm surprised to see that you don't draw the line at Stravinsky.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

How megaraptoran depictions feel like:

And titanosaurians:

Leyster

avatar_marisaura @marisaura I agree, and I admit that had made me unwell around that animal, too. I have no problem with overrepresented animal (like, I get that Tyrannosaurus is everywhere, but it's also an animal known for very good remains of multiple specimens), but I draw a line at animals people seem to be obsessed with despite being represented by next to nothing or nothing at all (be it poor description or poor remains). Other examples include genera Nanuqsaurus, Bahariasaurus and Siats.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Quote from: Leyster on February 28, 2024, 04:25:56 PManimals people seem to be obsessed with despite being represented by next to nothing or nothing at all (be it poor description or poor remains). Other examples include genera Nanuqsaurus, Bahariasaurus and Siats.
I agree!  Another one of those is Maip.  I just don't get it.  The Siats obsession I find particularly bizarre.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on February 28, 2024, 04:40:38 PMAnother one of those is Maip.  I just don't get it.

Because it's the biggest megaraptorid that we know of. There's nothing more to it. People like big things, and especially "the biggest" things.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Sim on February 28, 2024, 04:40:38 PM
Quote from: Leyster on February 28, 2024, 04:25:56 PManimals people seem to be obsessed with despite being represented by next to nothing or nothing at all (be it poor description or poor remains). Other examples include genera Nanuqsaurus, Bahariasaurus and Siats.
I agree!  Another one of those is Maip.  I just don't get it.  The Siats obsession I find particularly bizarre.

I can't speak for the others but I believe the fascination with Siats is mostly just the mystery of what it actually is, since it could potentially be a North American megaraptoran.

suspsy

Honestly? I think it's rather pointless to dislike any dinosaur species based on how society has chosen to build it up or misrepresent it. I don't like the fantasy portrayals of Velocirators and Spinosaurus that are still prevalent due to Jurassic Park, but I certainly don't dislike the animals themselves. It's like disliking the great white shark because of the Jaws franchise or disliking the African elephant because it's been featured in so many movies and cartoons and books and comics and toylines, and the symbol of the Republican Party. Hate on society for the misconceptions or the over-prevalence, but don't hate on the animals themselves.

Similarly, if people wish to be excited over a dinosaur species that is not known from ample remains, I say let them. Just choose not to buy whatever toys are put out instead.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Leyster

avatar_suspsy @suspsy then I dislike the concepts people built upon a few fossils bearing those names.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

suspsy

Quote from: Leyster on February 28, 2024, 08:00:15 PMavatar_suspsy @suspsy then I dislike the concepts people built upon a few fossils bearing those names.

Except those concepts are built on science and unless you can demonstrate that Maip is in fact not a megaraptoran or somehow looked radically different from other megaraptorans, disliking them is not exactly reasonable.

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on February 28, 2024, 10:58:58 PMExcept those concepts are built on science and unless you can demonstrate that Maip is in fact not a megaraptoran or somehow looked radically different from other megaraptorans, disliking them is not exactly reasonable.

We don't even know what other megaraptorans looked like to begin with.  :P The most well-known member is Megaraptor itself, and we don't have a clear picture of it either. There's a reason to the meme I posted earlier. Non-Megaraptor-megaraptoran depictions are literally clones of Megaraptor.

suspsy

Quote from: Concavenator on February 28, 2024, 11:53:51 PM
Quote from: suspsy on February 28, 2024, 10:58:58 PMExcept those concepts are built on science and unless you can demonstrate that Maip is in fact not a megaraptoran or somehow looked radically different from other megaraptorans, disliking them is not exactly reasonable.

We don't even know what other megaraptorans looked like to begin with.  :P The most well-known member is Megaraptor itself, and we don't have a clear picture of it either. There's a reason to the meme I posted earlier. Non-Megaraptor-megaraptoran depictions are literally clones of Megaraptor.

You're conveniently omitting the fact that Aerosteon, Australovenator, Fukuiraptor, and Murusraptor have skull, torso, and limb material. :)

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Yeah we have enough material to know a) what they looked like, and b) that they all looked fairly similar.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: