You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is your least favorite dinosaur?

Started by brontosauruschuck, March 22, 2020, 07:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Normally I would criticize this type of posts as I don't like to discriminate between my favorite animals.

But then I realized, oh wait, I do have a lot of least favorite dinosaurs.

Any dinosaur outside the Mesozoic period that would be.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 20, 2023, 03:26:46 AMWell, sure it's subjective. Nothing in this thread can be anything but. Lucky for you there are many meg figures to pick from!
I don't like any megalodon figure out there!  CollectA's would work for me if its skin didn't look like wet toilet paper!

Concavenator

BTW, I did forget to add Triceratops. So into the list it goes.

Sim

One of the prehistoric animals I like the least is Chilesaurus.  I find it quite ugly and it's annoying how it's not known what kind of dinosaur it is.

Halichoeres

Ooh, if you dislike the uncertainty about Chilesaurus's identity, you must hate Tullimonstrum!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Primeval12

Quote from: Sim on October 22, 2023, 12:53:35 PMOne of the prehistoric animals I like the least is Chilesaurus.  I find it quite ugly and it's annoying how it's not known what kind of dinosaur it is.

I will not stand for this slander. (kidding)

For me probably T. rex due to how overstudied/utilized it is. It's still a cool animal but It's like hearing your favorite band's hit being played over and over. It wears itself out.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 23, 2023, 01:10:51 AMOoh, if you dislike the uncertainty about Chilesaurus's identity, you must hate Tullimonstrum!
I'm much more familiar with dinosaurs, so Tullimonstrum doesn't really affect me.  If I spent more time with invertabrates and basal vertebrates it would though.

Regarding Chilesaurus, I find its almost human-shaped head unpleasant.

Gwangi

Quote from: Primeval12 on October 23, 2023, 02:18:05 AM
Quote from: Sim on October 22, 2023, 12:53:35 PMOne of the prehistoric animals I like the least is Chilesaurus.  I find it quite ugly and it's annoying how it's not known what kind of dinosaur it is.

I will not stand for this slander. (kidding)

For me probably T. rex due to how overstudied/utilized it is. It's still a cool animal but It's like hearing your favorite band's hit being played over and over. It wears itself out.

See, now, that's exactly WHY T. rex is a favorite of mine. I don't think any extinct animal can be "over studied" and the result of so much study can only broaden our knowledge about the animal in a way that is difficult to do with most prehistoric animals. We have over 40 specimens of T. rex, the largest terrestrial carnivore and biped the world has ever seen. And because of that we know a shocking amount about its natural history. I don't think something like that should be taken for granted. Do I wish other genera were as well studied? Sure, but that's not always feasible. But for me a lot of my favorite dinosaurs are those which are well studied and/or have a lot of preserved material, simply because we can know more about them.

Now getting burnt out on T. rex due to its overexposure in pop culture and often toxic fanbase, I totally understand that.

EuropaSuchus

Anything known from only teeth/vertebraes/few other bones. When you "like" ultra-fragmentary taxa, you are techically liking their close relatives and not them.

More certain examples:

1) Dakotaraptor. Made a lot of hype back then, turned to be most likely chimeric. I can't imagine what Saurian team feels now, it's like one big cruel joke.

2) Paraxenisaurus. Similar case, got fame as "american deinocheirid", while its paper has many flaws and animal even can't be classified as deinocheird by their own cladogram as base.

EuropaSuchus

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 25, 2023, 05:05:33 PM
Quote from: Bread on March 25, 2023, 04:09:30 PMCarcharondotosaurus, Meraxes, Mapusaurus, Giganotosaurus, any and all that look the same.

I can't say the Carcharondotosauridae family since I find Concavenator interesting.
Meraxes at least his interesting foot claws
It's also got really nice completeness, rivaled only by Giga holotype, if we exclude more basal carchs like Acro or Conca.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Sinoceratops. Up until it was discovered, ceratopsidae was known from North America only. I thought it was interesting that the entire group was restricted to this continent.

I would also go along and say fragmentary species as well. There are a lot of fragmentary species like Zhuchengtyrannus that I think are overrated since there are closely related species known from much better material.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

EmperorDinobot

Concavenator

Quote from: EuropaSuchus on October 23, 2023, 07:09:23 PMWhen you "like" ultra-fragmentary taxa, you are techically liking their close relatives and not them.

That is so true.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on October 27, 2023, 07:36:01 PM
Quote from: EuropaSuchus on October 23, 2023, 07:09:23 PMWhen you "like" ultra-fragmentary taxa, you are techically liking their close relatives and not them.

That is so true.

Maybe sometimes. I think that explains most fans of Tyrannotitan, for example. But sometimes it's more to do with something having been found relatively locally. I could see someone in Australia being fond of Australovenator just because it's from the same landmass (albeit a rather remote corner of it).

Quote from: Gwangi on October 23, 2023, 04:57:56 PMNow getting burnt out on T. rex due to its overexposure in pop culture and often toxic fanbase, I totally understand that.

It's me!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 31, 2023, 10:03:18 PM

That is so true.

Maybe sometimes. I think that explains most fans of Tyrannotitan, for example. But sometimes it's more to do with something having been found relatively locally. I could see someone in Australia being fond of Australovenator just because it's from the same landmass (albeit a rather remote corner of it).

I'm guilty of this. I have a fondness for American east coast dinosaurs like Hadrosaurus and Dryptosaurus simply because I live on the east coast. But I'm also into the history of paleontology and they're significant in that regard as well. 

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on November 01, 2023, 12:56:03 AM

That is so true.

I'm guilty of this. I have a fondness for American east coast dinosaurs like Hadrosaurus and Dryptosaurus simply because I live on the east coast. But I'm also into the history of paleontology and they're significant in that regard as well. 

Yeah, this seems like the only explanation for the frequent requests for an Appalachiosaurus figure, which apart from being found in the southeastern US, doesn't seem to have anything notable about it. It isn't even historically significant like Hadrosaurus and Dryptosaurus.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 01, 2023, 03:33:58 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 01, 2023, 12:56:03 AM

That is so true.

Yeah, this seems like the only explanation for the frequent requests for an Appalachiosaurus figure, which apart from being found in the southeastern US, doesn't seem to have anything notable about it. It isn't even historically significant like Hadrosaurus and Dryptosaurus.
Appalachiosaurus is definitely significant, appalachio and Drypto have some very odd anatomy for tyrannosaurus, and appalachio is pretty significant for our understanding of this group, being the only member with a mostly preserved skull.

Takama

Thanos simonattoi

Represents two of my least favorite things in media and paleontolgey. MARVAL, and very poor fossil remains. Which makes
This IMO among the biggest jokes in paleontology since Scrotum Humanum.

Carnoking

Thyreophorans and Dromaeosaurs.

Don't get me wrong, they're incredible animals, particularly the Thyreophorans, but they never excite my interest quite to the same level as other groups.

Over9K

I love all dinosaurs, but there is one that amuses me more than any other, one that I would totally fall out laughing every time I saw one...

Deinocherius.

Watching Prehistoric Planet the wife said "it's the love child of Big Bird and Snuffleupagus", and now I can't unsee it.

Not only that, but when I was a little kid, I would see this picture of these mounted dinosaur arms, serious weapons with huge claws. The books would always say stuff like, "all we know about Deinocherius "The Horrible Hand" is that it must have been pretty mean and scary to have arms like that".

DISAPPOINTED!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: