News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

I really want a good Amargasaurus with a full veil.
But this one still seems to be a mixed of spikes and veil...

Styracosaurus is interesting.
We alwready have good ones, but not with  vibrant paint job, hope this one will have it.

No Brachiosaurus and Argentinosaurus this year ?

Hope to get Shantungosaurus and Iguanodon sometimes.

suspsy

I believe that the small stegosaur is Huayangosaurus and the ankylosaur behind it is Tarchia. If I'm right, then they're both lock-ins for me. I already have the CollectA Gastonia, the Battat Euoplocephalus, and the PNSO and Safari Stegosaurus toys, so I'm really not interested in the versions shown in that image. Nor the ceratopsians for that matter; already have toys of all those species as well.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Samrukia on March 20, 2024, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 20, 2024, 03:14:30 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 20, 2024, 02:25:31 PMV @vampiredesign this roster looks absolutely wonderful! But I do have to ask if there's a second page out the somewhere with theropods or smthn.

From my perspective theropods aren't quite their strong suite. The Giga is only one I own thus far. Honestly if they want to ignore them for the most part I'm good with it as PNSO seems to have the market flooded with them as of now. I don't even have all theirs yet lol

which giga?

Apologies, I meant the Carcharodontosaurus : https://dinotoyblog.com/carcharodontosaurus-gr-toys-by-haolongood/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Samrukia on March 20, 2024, 04:00:11 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on March 20, 2024, 03:42:52 PMI too think they are far better at non-theropods. Plus that focus suits the focus of my collection. For me the poster promises an incredible year.

their Dilophosaurs are magnificent though

I do agree there even if the torso is a bit too short.

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on March 20, 2024, 06:32:11 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on March 20, 2024, 06:24:26 PMI would fully concur with most of your species / genera assignments, but why do you think that stegosaur in the first row is Huayangosaurus and why do you exclude Tuojiangosaurus? To me this stegosaur looks too large for Huayangosaurus or Kentrosaurus, assuming that the silhouettes reflect the true size difference between the models.

Tuojiangosaurus is usually reconstructed with distinctly pointy triangular plates, while Huyayangosaurus shows a much greater plate variation in both size and shape. I agree with avatar_Sim @Sim 's assessment that the latter genus displays features more consistent with the model shown. Particularly the diamond shaped plates above the scapula.

Thanks for explaining these differences. I was probably too much thinking along the lines of the size. Would Jiangjunosaurus also be a possible candidate? Halonggood has produced some of these less known Chinese species like Tianzhenosaurus last year.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 21, 2024, 07:38:23 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on March 20, 2024, 06:32:11 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on March 20, 2024, 06:24:26 PMI would fully concur with most of your species / genera assignments, but why do you think that stegosaur in the first row is Huayangosaurus and why do you exclude Tuojiangosaurus? To me this stegosaur looks too large for Huayangosaurus or Kentrosaurus, assuming that the silhouettes reflect the true size difference between the models.

Tuojiangosaurus is usually reconstructed with distinctly pointy triangular plates, while Huyayangosaurus shows a much greater plate variation in both size and shape. I agree with avatar_Sim @Sim 's assessment that the latter genus displays features more consistent with the model shown. Particularly the diamond shaped plates above the scapula.

Thanks for explaining these differences. I was probably too much thinking along the lines of the size. Would Jiangjunosaurus also be a possible candidate? Halonggood has produced some of these less known Chinese species like Tianzhenosaurus last year.
That one is also a more basic stegosaur, Huayangosaurus has a very unique silhouette
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Daspletodave

Looking at the poster of HLG 2024 planned releases- I don't think the hadrosaur at the end of row two is Edmontosaurus. Comparing it to the color preview photos of Edmontosaurus, it is clearly different. The hadrosaur in the poster has no head crest, the hind legs are positioned differently, and the tail is curving away to the left. It also seems to be too small for Edmontosaurus, when you look at it next to the stego, or even comparing it to the other hadrosaur (Maiasaura or Brachylophosaurus). The poster hadrosaur is also much too small to be Shantungosaurus, but it may be Tanius, Mandschurosaurus, or some other Chinese non-crested hadrosaur.

thomasw100

Quote from: Daspletodave on March 21, 2024, 12:36:27 PMLooking at the poster of HLG 2024 planned releases- I don't think the hadrosaur at the end of row two is Edmontosaurus. Comparing it to the color preview photos of Edmontosaurus, it is clearly different. The hadrosaur in the poster has no head crest, the hind legs are positioned differently, and the tail is curving away to the left. It also seems to be too small for Edmontosaurus, when you look at it next to the stego, or even comparing it to the other hadrosaur (Maiasaura or Brachylophosaurus). The poster hadrosaur is also much too small to be Shantungosaurus, but it may be Tanius, Mandschurosaurus, or some other Chinese non-crested hadrosaur.

If you look at the high-resolution version of that poster at high magnification you actually see the crest. You have to zoom into the picture to see this. It is barely visible, but it is there.

Daspletodave

I hope the next HLG 2024 poster will include Plateosaurus and Iguanodon. Really looking forward to the ceratopsians!

Samrukia

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 21, 2024, 12:40:33 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on March 21, 2024, 12:36:27 PMLooking at the poster of HLG 2024 planned releases- I don't think the hadrosaur at the end of row two is Edmontosaurus. Comparing it to the color preview photos of Edmontosaurus, it is clearly different. The hadrosaur in the poster has no head crest, the hind legs are positioned differently, and the tail is curving away to the left. It also seems to be too small for Edmontosaurus, when you look at it next to the stego, or even comparing it to the other hadrosaur (Maiasaura or Brachylophosaurus). The poster hadrosaur is also much too small to be Shantungosaurus, but it may be Tanius, Mandschurosaurus, or some other Chinese non-crested hadrosaur.

If you look at the high-resolution version of that poster at high magnification you actually see the crest. You have to zoom into the picture to see this. It is barely visible, but it is there.

the pose is clearly different though

thomasw100

Quote from: Samrukia on March 21, 2024, 12:57:22 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on March 21, 2024, 12:40:33 PM

the pose is clearly different though

But the unpainted (white) stegosaurus that they have shown in the exhibition is also different from the one on the poster. The real model has the spikes on the thagomizer more horizontally oriented and also placed more towards the end of the tail.

LucasLiu

LucasLiu

Gwangi

Those Edmontosaurus!  ;D I'm gonna have a hard time picking the color I want for this one.

Concavenator

V @vampiredesign as avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy said, would it be possible to modify the Amargasaurus to have a full sail? That would make the figure more accurate, so I think this change would definitely be worth it, even if it results in a delayed release. There's no hurry.

Here's another reference you may find useful:

Amargasaurus by Christopher Chávez.

And here's the reference that suggests Amargasaurus (and similar dicraeosaurids like Bajadasaurus and Pilmatueia) had that sail:

Cerda, I. A., Novas, F. E., Carballido, J. L., & Salgado, L. (2022). Osteohistology of the hyperelongate hemispinous processes of Amargasaurus cazaui (Dinosauria: Sauropoda): Implications for soft tissue reconstruction and functional significance. Journal of Anatomy, 240(6), 1005–1019.

DOI: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joa.13659

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: Concavenator on March 20, 2024, 03:49:46 AMI'd ID them as:

- Mamenchisaurus
- Camarasaurus
- Amargasaurus
- Huayangosaurus?
- Zuul?

- Hungarosaurus?
- Euoplocephalus
- Maiasaura
- Stegosaurus ungulatus
- Edmontosaurus

- Diabloceratops
- Anchiceratops?
- Styracosaurus
- Einiosaurus
- Furcatoceratops?

This is such a great line-up on HLG's part! In my opinion, they are at their best performance when focusing on non-theropod dinosaurs, so the choice to focus on that group makes their output even more solid! I am especially looking forward to their Amargasaurus, Camarasaurus and Stegosaurus.

I'm usually not one to focus on competition, though I wonder how PNSO will react, seeing how their own rate of figure releases seems to be slowing down.
* (It's locked.)

thomasw100

Quote from: Tracewyrm! on March 21, 2024, 02:07:25 PMThis is such a great line-up on HLG's part! In my opinion, they are at their best performance when focusing on non-theropod dinosaurs, so the choice to focus on that group makes their output even more solid! I am especially looking forward to their Amargasaurus, Camarasaurus and Stegosaurus.

I'm usually not one to focus on competition, though I wonder how PNSO will react, seeing how their own rate of figure releases seems to be slowing down.

One key problem related to theropods is the de facto expectation that they should have an articulated jaw. It seems that this has been established as the standard, but honestly I do not get why this would be so essential. I understand that figures mostly intended for children sell much better when they have an articulated jaw. But this does not apply to the same extent to adult collectors. Many art studios that produce high-quality resin statues do not include articulated jaws in their theropod designs. And Haolonggood has shown with their Dilophosaurus models that they can produce top quality theropods. I feel that they are still struggling somewhat with the implementation of articulated jaws and would suggest to consider designing some theropods without articulated jaws.

Tracewyrm!

Quote from: thomasw100 on March 21, 2024, 02:19:32 PMOne key problem related to theropods is the de facto expectation that they should have an articulated jaw. It seems that this has been established as the standard, but honestly I do not get why this would be so essential. I understand that figures mostly intended for children sell much better when they have an articulated jaw. But this does not apply to the same extent to adult collectors. Many art studios that produce high-quality resin statues do not include articulated jaws in their theropod designs. And Haolonggood has shown with their Dilophosaurus models that they can produce top quality theropods. I feel that they are still struggling somewhat with the implementation of articulated jaws and would suggest to consider designing some theropods without articulated jaws.

Honestly, agreed. Articulated jaws are a neat extra, though it does seem like they are seen as too much of a "necessity" sometimes. If removing jaw hinges allows HLG to make better theropods overall then I wouldn't even mind seeing the jaw articulation go.

Though, at the same time, it's nice to see HLG make up for PNSO's year long theropod parade, in a sense.
* (It's locked.)

Sim

I haven't experienced any problem with the articulated jaws of Haolonggood's theropods.

Concavenator

Took advantage of AliExpress' Anniversary sale and grabbed the green Chasmosaurus along with the yellow/rainbow Dilophosaurus pair. I will only be keeping the sitting Dilophosaurus, if somebody in Europe is interested in getting a standing Dilophosaurus for a discounted price, let me know!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: