News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thoughts on what could come next from CollectA

Started by Sim, March 28, 2024, 02:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I've noticed that CollectA has quite consistently produced British prehistoric animals as shown below, purple indicating deluxe models:

2024: Dearc, Polacanthus
2023: Brighstoneus, Ceratosuchops
2022: Nothing
2021: Megalosaurus, Neovenator
2020: Baryonyx, Belemnite, Pleuroceras
2019: Baryonyx
2018: Iguanodon, Mantellisaurus
2017: Dimorphodon, Excalibosaurus
2016: Metriacanthosaurus
2015: Pliosaurus, Temnodontosaurus
2014: Nothing
2013: Nothing
2012: Hypsilophodon, Neovenator
2011: Attenborosaurus, Dacentrurus, Ornithocheirus, Proceratosaurus, Rhomaleosaurus
2010: Eotyrannus
2009: Cetiosaurus, Hylaeosaurus, Megalosaurus, Scelidosaurus
2008: Baryonyx, Becklespinax, Lexovisaurus, Liopleurodon, Polacanthus
2007: Baryonyx, Iguanodon, Neovenator
2006: Eustreptospondylus

As can be seen, it's unusual for CollectA to not produce any British species in a given year.  Personally, I appreciate CollectA making so many British species!  Following the pattern, I'm expecting for 2025 CollectA will make at least one out of Eotyrannus, Scelidosaurus, Eustreptospondylus.  Eotyrannus is the most likely I think, since it got that recent redescription and revised skeletal reconstruction.  Scelidosaurus is one of the most wanted species, so I think it's possible too.  Eustreptospondylus I think is the least likely, but it's the oldest British species by CollectA that hasn't received a remake.

I also think a Postosuchus will be made by CollectA either for 2025 or 2026 to accompany CollectA's Placerias and be another iconic WWD species that needs a modern figure.

Finally, I think it's only a matter of time for CollectA to release a new Stegosaurus and possibly a deluxe Allosaurus.  Also an ankylosaurid with a tail club, the most conspicuous absence from their modern figures.

Crackington

Very interesting list Sim, good to see Collecta's UK figures spelled out.

Having visited the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery last year, I am surprised, given Anthony Beeson's association with it, that Collecta never made Thecodontosaurus.

This was the fourth British dinosaur described (1843) and is surely one of the most neglected by toy and model makers?

It's a very intersting species too, a basal sauropodomorph from the Triassic. Would love them to make it.

DinoFan2010

I feel like CollectA would make a great Yutyrannus, which only has 3 major figures, from Safari, PNSO, and BOTM.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Concavenator

A Deluxe Allosaurus and a Yutyrannus I would be curious about how they would turn out.

Sim

I've gained an interest in CollectA's prehistoric aquatic animals after being very happy with the CollectA Thalossomedon, Attenborosaurus and 2023 Mosasaurus.  CollectA has released prehistoric aquatic animals quite consistently, below is what they have released, orange = Palaeozoic, turquoise = Mesozoic, Blue = Cenozoic.

2024: None
2023: Anomalocaris, Koolasuchus, Mosasaurus, Shastasaurus
2022: Cooperoceras
2021: Elasmosaurus, Pravitoceras, Xiphactinus
2020: Belemnite, Megalodon, Orthoceras, Pleuroceras, Redlichia
2019: None
2018: Dunkleosteus
2017: Basilosaurus, Excalibosaurus, Kronosaurus
2016: Thalassomedon
2015: Pliosaurus, Temnodontosaurus
2014: Mosasaurus
2013: None
2012: Dolichorhynchops
2011: Attenborosaurus, Rhomaleosaurus
2010: None
2009: Sarcosuchus, Tylosaurus
2008: Liopleurodon
2007: Hydrotherosaurus
2006: None

As can be seen, CollectA has never gone more than one year in a row without producing an aquatic animal.  It seems more likely, therefore, that for 2025 CollectA will produce at least one aquatic animal.

I'm surprised CollectA hasn't made any other crocodyliform after their Sarcosuchus, over 10 years ago.  A semi-aquatic one such as Deinosuchus or Purussaurus could be coming from them, or a metriorhynchid perhaps, although I'm satisfied with the metriorhynchids I have.
The only prehistoric Cenozoic aquatic animal I would like is Basilosaurus. CollectA's, which I dislike, is one of their bestsellers so I don't see them remaking it sometime soon.
I don't like the skin texture on CollectA's megalodon, so I'm not hoping for any more prehistoric cartilaginous fishes from them.  I would however be interested in Ichthyostega and Acanthostega from CollectA.
I'm not keen on another pliosauroid from CollectA, although a remade Rhomaleosaurus might be interesting.  I'm also not keen on another mosasaur from CollectA as I'm satisfied with the mosasaurs I have, but I have a feeling CollectA will make that newly described one with a dorsal fin.
As far as ichthyosaurs are concerned, I would be very interested in a deluxe Temnodontosaurus or one of the species in or previously in Platypterygius.
CollectA's Hydrotherosaurus is another of their bestsellers, so I don't imagine they will remake it anytime soon, although I would be interested in such a figure.  I would also be interested in Cryptoclidus and Muraenosaurus from CollectA, they are British species (something that CollectA likes making) and they are overdue a figure in my opinion.

Faelrin

Some other trends I've picked up on over the years.

This year is the first without a new prehistoric invertebrate and/or Paleozoic animal since 2017. I hope next year can return to form, perhaps with something like Arthropleura, Diplocaulus, Eryops, any eurypterid, a new short Dunkleosteus, or perhaps something obscure/never done before like Pulmonoscorpius perhaps. Blue for Paleozoic animal, green for non Paleozoic invert, turquoise for both Paleozoic and invert.

2024: NA
2023: Anomalocaris
2022: Cooperoceras
2021: Pravitoceras
2020: Belemnite, Orthoceras, Plueroceras, Redlichia
2019: Edaphosaurus, Estemmenosuchus (Mini Prehistoric Animals)
2018: Dimetrodon, Dunkleosteus, Estemmenosuchus
2017: Australiceras, Baculites, Cameroceras, Diplomoceras, Dunkleosteus, Olenoides, Parapuzosia (Mini Marine Animals)

Last year was a strange break in the yearly Cenozoic animal (typically mammals), aside from 2010, going straight from 2009, but on the other hand the Koolasuchus, their first amphibian, more then made up for it I think. Orange for mammals, black/default for other.

2024: Diprotodon
2023: NA
2022: Paraceratherium
2021: Doedicurus
2020: Otodus megalodon
2019: Elasmotherium, Mini Prehistoric Animals (Andrewsarchus, Arsinoitherium, Daeodon, Deinotherium, Kelenken,  Megacerops, Moropus, Paraceratherium, Smilodon, Uintatherium, and Woolly Mammoth)
2018: Gomphotherium
2017: Basilosaurus, Uintatherium
2016: Andrewsarchus, Thylacine
2015: Daeodon, Moropus, Smilodon
2014: Arsinoitherium
2013: Deinotherium
2012: Megacerops, Neanderthal man, Neanderthal woman
2011: Kelenken
2010: NA
2009: Paraceratherium, Smilodon, Woolly Mammoth, Woolly Mammoth Calf

I truly hope we get Thylacoleo next year to go alongside the new Diprotodon. Much needed on the market as Southlands take is long retired. A new prehistoric bird would also be much welcome too (lots on the wishlist there such as Aepyornis, adzebill/Aptornis, Argentavis, Bennu heron/Ardea bennuides, Dinornis, dodo/Raphus, Dromornis, Gastornis, Genyornis, Great auk/Pinguinus impennis, Haast's eagle/Hieraaetus moorei, Hesperornis, Pelagornis, Teratornis, numerous terror birds, numerous penguins, etc).

Lastly, there's been a recent trend of CollectA releasing Triassic period animals (with the exception of 2021), so I hope to see that continue as well:

2024: Placerias
2023: Shastasaurus
2022: Smok
2021: NA
2020: Caviramus, Lisowicia
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoFan2010

Has there ever been a Kaprosuchus figure besides the Mattel one, 'cause I would love to see a CollectA Kapro!
Edit: Forgot Scleich, Safari, and Papo all made Kapros too. Oopsies! :P

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Halichoeres

One reason CollectA is among my favorite companies is that it's one of the few that reliably puts out non-dinosaurs. So as long as they keep that up I'm happy. Truth is, quite a few companies are doing Mesozoic dinosaurs to a higher standard, so the Paleozoic/Triassic/aquatic portions of CollectA's portfolio are becoming even more important to me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ludodactylus

A new Cetiosaurus would be nice. Maybe I'm imagining it, but have they been doing more Deluxe figures lately vs. standard?
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Sim

I'm hoping CollectA produces an updated Eotyrannus for next year.  They might be more likely to produce a Sinosauropteryx than Safari at this stage, seeing as CollectA has interest in making feathered dinosaurs again.  So they might make the first non-avialan dinosaur to have feathers preserved, and also one of the few we know the colouration of!  It would be nice if CollectA made it.

CollectA also had a period of making Japanese dinosaurs.  I hope they would continue the theme of Japanese animals and make a Futabasaurus!  Since Favorite has no plans to currently...

I also think it would be very interesting if CollectA made Zhenyuanlong or Dromaeosaurus!  And maybe CollectA could also produce an accurate Amargasaurus...  CollectA's sauropods have been so good for a while now.  Finally, if CollectA wants to make a weird non-dinosaur, I'd be eager for them to make a more accurate Orthacanthus than Safari's!

triceratops83

I'd like to see CollectA make some BIG 1:40 to 1:35 scale Sauropods. Think about it, CollectA is the cheapest of the popular dino toy brands, and their latest large sauropods like Ruyangosaurus and Dreadnoughtus are about USD $30ish at most. I don't see why they can't make them twice as big while doubling the price, which would still come out cheaper than similar sized PNSO (about $70 for the Alamosaurus) or Haolonggood (about $90 for their Alamosaurus) models. I dunno, just a thought from someone who enjoys large sauropod figures.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

A new version of Altispinax/Becklespinax, Cetiosaurus, or Eotyrannus would be neat for the British crew. Ankylosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Torosaurus are also badly in need of upgrading.

As for new faces, I'd like to finally see a damn Brachytrachelopan. And Scolosaurus, Tarchia, Centrosaurus, Ajugaceratops, Falcarius, Gallimimus, or Dryosaurus would be nice.

I'll think of non-dinosaurs later.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 15, 2024, 04:23:39 PMOne reason CollectA is among my favorite companies is that it's one of the few that reliably puts out non-dinosaurs. So as long as they keep that up I'm happy. Truth is, quite a few companies are doing Mesozoic dinosaurs to a higher standard, so the Paleozoic/Triassic/aquatic portions of CollectA's portfolio are becoming even more important to me.

I agree with this. CollectA's dinosaurs aren't their strongest offerings, at least not anymore.

suspsy

So in terms of mammals, while I would personally prefer a Deluxe Arctotherium above all else, I think that Megatherium is just as deserving of a toy. Platybelodon as well.

But I also wish that CollectA would start making Cenozoic beasts for their standard prehistoric line. Then we could get small fauna like Hyracotherium or Ambulocetus or Thylacosmilus or even Australopithecus or some other hominins.

As for reptiles, well, frankly the only ones I'm really interested in seeing at this point are Deinosuchus or Purussaurus. And the only colossal pterosaurs I'd like are Anurognathus and Jeholopterus. 
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy I'd like to add that Sinomacrops is another good choice. Described in 2021, and has some mainstream/pop culture appeal from being included in one of the Ark maps released I in the same year. Honestly I would like any of the group, including the two above you mentioned. They are probably the cutest pterosaurs out there, so I'm shocked they haven't gotten any decent figures. Fingers crossed CollectA does one next year.

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on June 06, 2024, 09:12:48 PMThey are probably the cutest pterosaurs out there
I think this is subjective, I find them hideous, easily the ugliest pterosaurs in my opinion. :P  I still think a good figure of one is needed though.

Also, I forgot about Ambulocetus, I'd very much like a figure of it!

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim How dare.  :'( /joking

Personally I think I'm spoiled by the reconstructions from JWE2 (Jeholopterus) and Ark (Sinomacrops as mentioned earlier). I just realized both have butterfly inspired patterns on their wings.

That said it is totally subjective. That's what makes this hobby fun in a way. Some of us like some things then others and it keeps things interesting and varied.

I also overlooked Ambulocetus as well. Early whales definitely need more figures.

Prehistory Resurrection

Whatever new species CollectA is releasing next year, one thing is for sure; there will be at least one that's been discovered recently. As a new, recently discovered species, I'm predicting a Ceoptera. Since it's been recently discovered, just after Dearc and has also been discovered on the Isle of Wight. Since CollectA has released a Dearc this year, hence I'm predicting a deluxe Ceoptera for next year. I'm also foreseeing a Jakapil. The newly discovered abelisaurid Koleken inakayali and the newly discovered Titanosaurid Titanomachya are also potential candidates since these two are from the same formation as Carnotaurus.
A Patagotitan would also be nice.

While I think it's good for CollectA to release least known species and species that have been discovered recently, I think they must release more revamped sculpts of their past figures like everyone is saying. I'm referring to the old Procon ones. They've released new Baryonyx, Neovenator sculpts for example, so why not more new sculpts?

Elengassen

One thing I'd very much like Collecta to do is revisit their corpse lineup. In particular, I'd like them to do some marine reptile corpses (Mosasaurus, Elasmosaurus etc.). I don't think anyone has ever made one of those in PVC, and they'd be great for dioramas.
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Elengassen on June 18, 2024, 04:44:24 PMOne thing I'd very much like Collecta to do is revisit their corpse lineup. In particular, I'd like them to do some marine reptile corpses (Mosasaurus, Elasmosaurus etc.). I don't think anyone has ever made one of those in PVC, and they'd be great for dioramas.

I have a small "roadkill" plesiosaur that was part of some Kickstarter. But yes, more please!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: