News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - Hopes and Dreams

Started by Concavenator, April 22, 2023, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Primeval12 on March 26, 2024, 03:57:19 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 26, 2024, 02:14:41 PMavatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus, have you considered the Safari Qianzhousaurus?  It's excellent.

I second this! Mine has some warping issues but is overall a great figure. I have 2 of them!

And I third this! I have it too and it's really great. Essentially what an updated version from PNSO would look like, with fine scaling and lips. And for a fraction of its price!

Only downside I could see (depending on the person) is it's larger than 1:35, but if you're not too strict about consistency to a fixed scale, then this is as good as it gets for a Qianzhousaurus, IMO. I don't see how could it be improved as a depiction. Safari's most recent tyrannosaurs are gold.

Quiversaurus

Thanks for the recommendations, will check it out!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Quiversaurus on March 26, 2024, 08:31:14 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on March 26, 2024, 06:28:51 AMI quite second that wish for a qianzhousaurus! PNSO's version also has rather outdated proportions and I'd love to see one with the comically large head we now know it had!

Would you know where I can find an updated skeletal reconstruction of Qianzhousaurus?
Scott Hartman's website has one made just last year!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on March 26, 2024, 01:00:26 AMAsfaltovenator is funny because it's the only allosauroid known from good remains left without a good figure (besides the baby Scipionyx).  It looks so much like Allosaurus though which might be why no-one has made it.

I have no trouble telling an Asfaltovenator apart from an Allosaurus, but they do look alike, yeah. I think I'm no longer interested in getting a figure of Asfaltovenator, as despite its taxonomic relevance (because of its good remains and its basal position within Allosauroidea), it's morphologically similar enough to Allosaurus that I don't need to have figures of both. And naturally, Allosaurus takes the preference for me. I try to save space when possible, so I don't collect figures of animals that look very much alike.

However, when allosauroids are concerned, I still think Asfaltovenator would be a great choice. FWIW, I'd rather see it done than yet another fragmentary carcharodontosaurid like Tyrannotitan, as Asfaltovenator is the more important taxon. Furthermore, if people buy figures of both Albertosaurus AND Gorgosaurus and Edmontosaurus AND Shantungosaurus, I don't see why an Asfaltovenator would be unwelcome. I personally find it easier to tell it apart from Allosaurus than the aforementioned genera between each other.

So as far as allosauroids are concerned, I would also be in for a feathered (1:35, please) Concavenator. And even though PNSO's Allosaurus*, Acrocanthosaurus and Meraxes are all really good, I wouldn't be opposed to someone releasing equally good versions of them with lips (or even PNSO themselves, but not holding out my breath for that to happen).

* Yes I'm ignoring PNSO's Saurophaganax.

Concavenator

V @vampiredesign If you're interested in making an Iguanodon, here are some references that you could find interesting!  :)

Archosaur manus by Emily Stepp.

Iguanodon by Gabriel Ugueto.

Iguanodon by avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus

I would also try to make sure the model captures Iguanodon's characteristic skull, since that was the main criticism PNSO's version faced.

SenSx

Oh I love that guy.
Would love to have such a Iguanodon figure.
Wish the PNSO was like that...

Ludodactylus

Haolonggood has already fulfilled a bunch of my big wants, but I guess if I had to wish..

- Plateosaurus
- Cetiosaurus
- Gastonia
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Concavenator

avatar_Ludodactylus @Ludodactylus Gastonia? Check this out, then. And big yes for the Plateosaurus!

Also, after thinking about it, I wouldn't be opposed to a Qianzhousaurus as avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus suggested. While I have Safari's, and as a reconstruction, I think it's perfect, it's also true I'd rather have a Qianzhousaurus that's in 1:35 scale than in 1:25. So it would be in scale with other tyrannosaurid figures such as Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus or Safari's Daspletosaurus.

This also goes to say that a 1:35, fully-grown Gorgosaurus (and lipped, since we're at it  :P ) would be appreciated too!

Needless to say I can't wrap up a Haolonggood Wishes post without mentioning Kentrosaurus and Iguanodon...  ;)

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on April 18, 2024, 08:27:08 PMavatar_Ludodactylus @Ludodactylus Gastonia? Check this out, then. And big yes for the Plateosaurus!

Also, after thinking about it, I wouldn't be opposed to a Qianzhousaurus as avatar_Quiversaurus @Quiversaurus suggested. While I have Safari's, and as a reconstruction, I think it's perfect, it's also true I'd rather have a Qianzhousaurus that's in 1:35 scale than in 1:25. So it would be in scale with other tyrannosaurid figures such as Eofauna's Tyrannosaurus or Safari's Daspletosaurus.

This also goes to say that a 1:35, fully-grown Gorgosaurus (and lipped, since we're at it  :P ) would be appreciated too!

Needless to say I can't wrap up a Haolonggood Wishes post without mentioning Kentrosaurus and Iguanodon...  ;)
g

Considering that there will be a Huayangosaurus made, which is about the same size or even smaller, a Kentrosaurus might become possible. When we are at stegosaurs, I would think that a Hesperosaurus would be a good choice, given the quite complete skeletons that have been found. We just visited Switzerland and saw Hesperosaurus in the exhibition of the Natural History Museum in Zürich and the private Aathal Musum.

Ludodactylus

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator lots of exciting things on that list - I think my wife is getting me Chasmosaurus and Euoplocephalus for my birthday, and Gastonia, Saichania, Styracosaurus and Stegosaurus are all speaking to me as possible additions to the collection.

Maybe we'll get a Tarchia in 2025!
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Concavenator

V @vampiredesign Continuing with the discussion from the 2024 thread about Haolonggood and small species, here a few ideas. Hoping you find them useful!  ^-^

I think other people mentioned some of these, but wanted to share these ideas nonetheless.

- Small species as sets

You mentioned selling these small species by themselves would be awkward. Partly, I could see why, as the current market isn't used to them, but I don't think that means those figures would be unwelcome. I'm seeing a lot of people lately try to stick to 1:35 as much as possible, and I don't believe there's no interest in small species, but that these just aren't offered. As I mentioned, big opportunity there.

If for whatever reason you are not into selling a (for example) 1:35 Velociraptor by itself, what about a Velociraptor + Protoceratops set? You already kind of did this with Dilophosaurus (ignoring the size difference). I think it would be interesting to have both the Velociraptor in poses that would allow them to be displayed separately. Or to make the set more "worthy" from a price perspective, there could be 3 figures per set:

- 1:35 Velociraptor x 1
- 1:35 Protoceratops x 1
- 1:35 figure of "The Fighting Dinosaurs" specimen (MPC-D 100/25 & MPC-D 100/512) x 1:

Another example, there could be a set that includes Deinonychus & Tenontosaurus! For a starter, this might be more feasible, as they're larger animals. As avatar_Sim @Sim mentioned, a 1:35 Deinonychus would be the size of the 1:18 small dromaeosaurids. So a Haolonggood Deinonychus would be that size, but without articulation, so on that sense, you would have it easier than Creative Beast, as they have to pack those little figures with articulations. I have the 1:18 Velociraptor and it's a well-painted figure, so I would expect a figure by Haolonggood to also be well-painted regardless of the small size. The Chasmosaurus and Kosmoceratops are tiny already and they are really well-made (including painting) for their size. So a Deinonychus wouldn't be much different.

Tenontosaurus is a larger animal, Haolonggood has already made models of species smaller than it. No good figure of it exists, and it's a very well-known and unique ornithopod. So a set like this would be awesome:

- 1:35 Deinonychus x 1
- 1:35 Tenontosaurus x 1

The Deinonychus/Tenontosaurus set is such a cool idea that Wild Past actually had/has plans to make one. 

Onto another possibility...

- Small species as accesories

Small species could also be produced as "accesories" to larger models. So it would be like a main dish (the larger species) and the appetizer/s, but all together in one set. The Yixian Formation was mentioned, so one option would be a set that was like:

- 1:35 Yutyrannus x 1 (main dish)
- 1:35 Beipiaosaurus x 1 (appetizer)
- 1:35 Psittacosaurus x 1 (appetizer)
- 1:35 Dilong x 1 (appetizer)

OK, maybe 4 species are too much, but you get the idea. The Yutyrannus would be the main dish, basically what would make the set's price more "justifiable" for the small species, as the set includes a regular-sized figure. And then include one (or several, depending on how feasible it is) species. And we already know the colorations lf at least one Beipiaosaurus specimen (BMNHC PH000911; Li et al. 2014) and one Psittacosaurus specimen (SMF R 4970; Vinther et al. 2016), so there would be no need to paint them in 2 different color schemes as Haolonggood usually does. So on that front, they could save on paint.

Another example, a small species could be included as a single accessory to a larger figure. That's the case of the Alamosaurus, which included a small pterosaur. For example, a 1:35 Buitreraptor could be made as an accesory to a 1:35 Giganotosaurus. Both coexisted in the Candeleros Formation:

Giganotosaurus and Buitreraptor by PaleoGuy (DeviantArt).

So another example for a set:

- 1:35 Giganotosaurus (main dish)
- 1:35 Buitreraptor (appetizer)

Here the Giganotosaurus plays the same role as Yutyrannus in the previous set, that is, make the price more justifiable for the smaller animals. But it would be interesting to have the small species also in PVC and painted, because there may be people who buy the set mainly or only for the small species. Or at least that's my case.  :P I have no interest in Giganotosaurus, but if Haolonggood releases a 1:35 Buitreraptor alongside a Giganotosaurus, I would get the set just for the Buitreraptor, and sell the Giganotosaurus afterwards. Assuming the 1:35 Buitreraptor can't be sold alone, or in a set of several individuals. And while I have no interest in getting a Giganotosaurus, I bet there are people who would rather get a Haolonggood Giganotosaurus than the PNSO 2023 one, despite the PNSO being excellent already. But one by Haolonggood with lips and a more affordable price tag could be interesting to a lot of people. And then with a little Buitreraptor, the most well-known member of the unenlagiines and an unusual looking dromaeosaurid, to finally seal the deal.  8)

Or what about a Buitreraptor with some other species it coexisted with, like Avitabatrachus or Ceratodus argentinus? I reckon some people would be very happy, like avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres !

If you feel like these species are too small for the moment, as avatar_Sim @Sim also said, there are already dromaeosaurids that definitely wouldn't be too small, as in 1:35 scale they would be larger than some of Haolonggood's current figures. Austroraptor and/or Utahraptor would the best choices, especially the former, as no decent figure of it exists, it's very unique and has gained a boost in popularity thanks to Prehistoric Planet. And the Utahraptor figures by Safari and Creative Beast are certainly top-notch already, but they're too big for 1:35 collectors. So Haolonggood could fulfill that need.

Hoping you find these ideas interesting! I would recommend giving the small species at least 1 try, and then see if they sell well and you might be interested in producing more or you want to stop there. But two things are for certain:

1. There is a glaring absence of 1:35 scale figures of small species in the market.
2. There are people interested in them, which means there is a business opportunity there.

And since Haolonggood is already making a Kentrosaurus-sized (or even smaller) stegosaurian (Huayangosaurus), then I take Kentrosaurus itself is perfectly feasible now...  ;)

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Man I love these ideas. Would love sets of smaller animals mixed in with big ones, or even just sets of little ones, and all based on respective formation too. Animal type could be another possibly (such as theropods or ornithischians), but I like the former idea much better.

Some exceptions of that too would be nice. For example a Kulindadromeus from the Middle-Late Jurassic Ukureyskaya Formation, paired alongside an Olorotitan or Amurosaurus (which has no figures I think), from the Late Cretaceous Udurchukan Formation, which are all found in Far East Russia/Russian Far East. Granted the size and shape of crest isn't known for Amurosaurus, but it has a good bit of skeletal material otherwise, including the skull. There's also a few other hadrosaurs from the same formation, but don't have as much material as Amurosaurus and Olorotitan to reference from.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I'm definitely interested in Haolonggood versions of Velociraptor and Protoceratops!  I would prefer there wasn't a Fighting Dinosaurs figure though.  Instead, in addition to Velociraptor and Protoceratops, I would be very happy to see their set also include Saurornithoides, it and Velociraptor were named 100 years ago this year!  The set could also include Citipati, Shuvuuia or Pinacosaurus.

triceratops83

I know it's a boring choice, but since they are doing decent ceratopsians I'd like to see how a Triceratops would turn out. And because they're releasing a Stegosaurus ungulatus, they should go with a Triceratops prorsus.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Sim

Like almost everyone else here I have a Triceratops horridus.  There's basically no figures of Triceratops prorsus however and I would consider getting one if Haolonggood made it.  A quick comparison of the two species can be seen below.

(Image source)

suspsy

As nice as a T. prorsus would be, Torosaurus and Centrosaurus would be far more exciting to me.

So would any of the ceratopsids that still haven't received any toys, such as Anchiceratops, Agujaceratops, Furcoceratops, and Judiceratops.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

I wonder how companies like Kaiyodo manage to make miniatures that are very well painted and yet sell for like $6 at retail. I guess the blind capsule aspect might get them more total revenue, but even if people get doubles, Kaiyodo still has to make those doubles.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Funny enough I don't even have horridus lol, the model I have is eofauna's "Yoshi's Trike", which is believed to represent a potential third species.

Turkeysaurus

Creatures from Permian Period.

Sauropods with Detachable tails & necks.

1/35 Shantungosaurus , Plateosaurus , Hatzegopteryx , Pseudosuchians.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: