News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2024 - Hopes and Dreams

Started by Bread, January 04, 2024, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I get the impression ever since PNSO released the Zuul, they've been trying to offer a bit of phylogenetic diversity after a year and 2 months worth of theropods. So ever since, and ignoring the Spinosaurus (another theropod), we've gotten:

- 1 ankylosaur (Zuul)
- 1 macronarian sauropod (Alamosaurus)
- 1 hadrosaur (Edmontosaurus)
- 1 prosauropod (Lufengosaurus)
- 1 stegosaur (Wuerhosaurus)

It's been a good while since the last PNSO ceratopsid (their Torosaurus from March 2022), so I wouldn't be surprised if the next PNSO release was a ceratopsid. Maybe a chasmosaurine, as avatar_Sim @Sim suggested. Kosmoceratops, perhaps?

Although ever since the Chinese New Year started, PNSO has only released figures of local species, so if they continue with this trend, a ceratopsid would be out of the question.

I also think it's highly likely they will be making a Sinosaurus and a new Ceratosaurus, probably a Dilophosaurus as well. Speaking of Dilophosaurus, it's a bit... interesting (?) they haven't made a model of it yet, but they have already released a handful of figures of several fragmentary megatheropods.  ::)

I don't see PNSO making figures of alvarezsaurs, archaeopterygids, troodontids, non-Gigantoraptor-oviraptorosaurians, non-Gallimimus-ornithomimosaurians, etc anytime soon, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Perhaps they will release a megaraptorid (they made art of a Megaraptor named "Eden"), since they're (mostly) big and carnivorous, they are likely to get made I would think. If they do a megaraptorid, hopefully it will be Megaraptor and not other member. Yes, there is Haolonggood's fantastic one already, but the other members are just not worth getting made (from a fossil completeness standpoint) IMO, and if a hypothetical PNSO Megaraptor was feathered, I'd probably get it over Haolonggood's.

When sauropodomorphs are concerned, Plateosaurus and Eoraptor would be awesome, but since they've recently launched the Lufengosaurus (which by itself could also be considered a miracle), I'm not holding my breath, unfortunately. Shunosaurus is another I would be keen on seeing (and I also think it's likely they will eventually make one). And I wouldn't be opposed to a new Amargasaurus either. For the moment, I'll surely add Haolonggood's to the wishlist, but its neck spines won't be fully covered (which contradicts Cerda et al. 2022), so if PNSO announces an Amargasaurus that gets this detail right (and is otherwise equally as good as HLG's), I'd go with PNSO's.

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 28, 2024, 08:52:21 AMVery nice and comprehensive summary. One small point: If you count the Pachycephalosaurus and Iguanodon as having up-to-date style, this would in my view apply to the Parasaurlophus as well. They are all from the same year and in my view the Parasaurolophus looks very up-to-date next to the most recent Edmontosaurus.
Thanks!  The Parasaurolophus has cheeks, unlike the Pachycephalosaurus, Iguanodon and Edmontosaurus, which is why I put it as "old-fashioned".  Whether ornithischians had cheeks is controversial however, and I don't think the Parasaurolophus is outdated with regards to that, it's just from an older style of PNSO.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on April 28, 2024, 02:48:41 PMIt's been a good while since the last PNSO ceratopsid (their Torosaurus from March 2022), so I wouldn't be surprised if the next PNSO release was a ceratopsid. Maybe a chasmosaurine, as avatar_Sim @Sim suggested. Kosmoceratops, perhaps?
Gosh, I hadn't realised it's been so long since PNSO's last ceratopsid!  I hope if PNSO makes another chasmosaurine it's Anchiceratops.

Quote from: Concavenator on April 28, 2024, 02:48:41 PMI also think it's highly likely they will be making a Sinosaurus and a new Ceratosaurus, probably a Dilophosaurus as well. Speaking of Dilophosaurus, it's a bit... interesting (?) they haven't made a model of it yet, but they have already released a handful of figures of several fragmentary megatheropods.  ::)
PNSO seems to not want to make medium and small animals.  It's quite frustrating.  I think they will eventually, their new Wuerhosaurus is larger than 1:35 scale, so I expect PNSO will make Dilophosaurus and Sinosaurus larger than 1:35 too.  Who knows if PNSO will ever make anything smaller though.  I'm expecting a Nanuqsaurus from PNSO before Dilo and Sino unfortunately. :-\

Quote from: Concavenator on April 28, 2024, 02:48:41 PMI don't see PNSO making figures of alvarezsaurs, archaeopterygids, troodontids, non-Gigantoraptor-oviraptorosaurians, non-Gallimimus-ornithomimosaurians, etc anytime soon, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Same here!  Gigantoraptor and Gallimimus, as well as Utahraptor and Austroraptor, would be great from PNSO!

Quote from: Concavenator on April 28, 2024, 02:48:41 PMPerhaps they will release a megaraptorid (they made art of a Megaraptor named "Eden"), since they're (mostly) big and carnivorous, they are likely to get made I would think. If they do a megaraptorid, hopefully it will be Megaraptor and not other member. Yes, there is Haolonggood's fantastic one already, but the other members are just not worth getting made (from a fossil completeness standpoint) IMO, and if a hypothetical PNSO Megaraptor was feathered, I'd probably get it over Haolonggood's.
I really hope PNSO doesn't make a megaraptoran.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on April 28, 2024, 05:13:55 PMGosh, I hadn't realised it's been so long since PNSO's last ceratopsid!  I hope if PNSO makes another chasmosaurine it's Anchiceratops.

Yeah, it's been a while, isn't it?  ;D And even more disturbing is the fact that their previous stegosaurian (to the Wuerhosaurus) was the Museum Line Stegosaurus which was announced in May 2021. Yikes... almost 3 years ago.  :o

Speaking of ceratopsids, another one I wouldn't be surprised to see is Chasmosaurus. After all, one of their latest ceratopsids prior to the ceratopsid hiatus we're currently in was the highly-requested Centrosaurus, so they might want to make Chasmosaurus as well. They also have a mini of it, so they might want to make a larger version as well, just like the Wuerhosaurus they've revently unveiled.

Funnily enough, the PNSO mini Chasmosaurus is named Brown, so I think we know what color we can expect in a new Chasmosaurus by PNSO!  8)  :P

Quote from: Sim on April 28, 2024, 05:13:55 PMPNSO seems to not want to make medium and small animals.  It's quite frustrating.  I think they will eventually, their new Wuerhosaurus is larger than 1:35 scale, so I expect PNSO will make Dilophosaurus and Sinosaurus larger than 1:35 too.  Who knows if PNSO will ever make anything smaller though.  I'm expecting a Nanuqsaurus from PNSO before Dilo and Sino unfortunately. :-\

Indeed, good luck for those species when it comes to getting made by PNSO! I'd say it's more likely for Safari or CollectA to tackle them, or Haolonggood.

Sinosaurus at least is Chinese (well, it literally means "Chinese lizard"!), so it's got fair chances I think. Ceratosaurus is likely as well, perhaps not so much because of the animal itself (as you mention, they clearly ignore species around that size and smaller), but because they've been updating some of their models as of late. I don't think they're in any hurry to release a Dilophosaurus though, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see a Nanuqsaurus before it.  :P

About scale, PNSO figures are usually larger than 1:35 (around 1:32 or so), so no surprise there. Even though the difference is not too big, I'd rather they sticked to 1:35. Haolonggood figures are now usually closer to 1:35 than PNSO.

Quote from: Sim on April 28, 2024, 05:13:55 PMSame here!  Gigantoraptor and Gallimimus, as well as Utahraptor and Austroraptor, would be great from PNSO!

Unlike Safari/Creative Beast, PNSO hasn't proved to be good at making dromaeosaurids (which doesn't mean much as the only dromaeosaurid taxon they have ever made is Microraptor  :o and it's also been a good while since those depictions). However, I would expect modern dromaeosaurid depictions by them to be very good. Or at least, hopefully so. So I'm in for a PNSO Austroraptor and Utahraptor too!

I'm personally not interested, but Gallimimus and Gigantoraptor would certainly look spectacular, PNSO's Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus are exquisite and are among their best figures to date. I'm sure they would sell really well too.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on April 28, 2024, 07:49:36 PMFunnily enough, the PNSO mini Chasmosaurus is named Brown, so I think we know what color we can expect in a new Chasmosaurus by PNSO!  8)  :P
Lol, good one!  PNSO's mini Allosaurus was named Black though, and their main series Allosaurus wasn't that colour.

Flaffy

I'm just wishing they continue with their fish (and marine) line. I still deeply enjoy my PNSO Dunkleosteus despite the potential proportion inaccuracies.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on April 28, 2024, 10:46:10 PMI'm just wishing they continue with their fish (and marine) line. I still deeply enjoy my PNSO Dunkleosteus despite the potential proportion inaccuracies.

Yes! More swimmers please.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Elengassen

Almost every figure PNSO has released in the past 12 months has been either a North American or Chinese taxon (the sole exception being Megalosaurus). So I'm willing to bet the next one will be as well.

(Now that I've said this, just watch them prove me completely wrong  ::) )
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Sim

Post submitted twice due to website not functioning properly.

Sim

It doesn't seem likely at this point, but I hope PNSO makes a new Basilosaurus.  Their current one is poor.

Concavenator

Quote from: Concavenator on April 28, 2024, 07:49:36 PMI'm personally not interested, but Gallimimus and Gigantoraptor would certainly look spectacular, PNSO's Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus are exquisite and are among their best figures to date. I'm sure they would sell really well too.

I take back what I said about not wanting a Gallimimus from PNSO. I do now, and it is indeed the theropod I would most love to see them make along with Austroraptor. Plus, it would look great alongside PNSO's Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus.

Quote from: Sim on May 10, 2024, 10:12:00 AMIt doesn't seem likely at this point, but I hope PNSO makes a new Basilosaurus.  Their current one is poor.

Well, PNSO has been updating some of their old models, so just going by that fact they might eventually remake it. But I doubt it's happening anytime soon, the last time they released any non-dinosaur was back in 2021. They're now focused on dinosaurs, or should I say, large/ish dinosaurs.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on May 10, 2024, 04:11:28 PMI take back what I said about not wanting a Gallimimus from PNSO. I do now, and it is indeed the theropod I would most love to see them make along with Austroraptor. Plus, it would look great alongside PNSO's Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus.
A Gallimimus would go well with PNSO's Tarbosaurus too!  I'd like a good Gallimimus as well.

Quote from: Concavenator on May 10, 2024, 04:11:28 PMWell, PNSO has been updating some of their old models, so just going by that fact they might eventually remake it. But I doubt it's happening anytime soon, the last time they released any non-dinosaur was back in 2021. They're now focused on dinosaurs, or should I say, large/ish dinosaurs.
That PNSO has been updating their old species is true, that gives me hope they will redo Basilosaurus too.  It has been one of their bestselling large vinyl figures, that gives me hope too.  But then we come to how PNSO has, as you said, been focusing on only large dinosaurs. :-\  The PNSO 2023 Lufengosaurus is something different to any other figure that exists and was much-needed, but aside from that I'm not keen on PNSO doing large dinosaurs over and over again this year.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim You're right, I forgot about Tarbosaurus.

And did their Basilosaurus really sell that well? It has been retired.

Sim

I seem to remember the PNSO Basilosaurus being high up when one sorts the PNSO figures on Everything Dinosaur by popularity, but I looked now and it's gone.  Maybe it didn't sell as well as I seemed to remember!

Sim

I hope PNSO stops making allosauroids.  I find it extremely frustrating that they've made so many while not giving attention to other types of animals.  I don't even want them to make Concavenator or Neovenator, I'd just like them to stop with allosauroids and make other types of animals.

I hope PNSO will make:

1. Dromaeosaurids.  Specifically, Buitreraptor, Sinornithosaurus, Austroraptor, Zhenyuanlong, Linheraptor or Velociraptor.

2. Herrerasaurus

3. Sinosauropteryx

4. Ceratopsids.  Specifically, Medusaceratops, Anchiceratops and Achelousaurus.

5. Edmontonia

6. Plateosaurus

7. Futabasaurus

8. Rhamphorhynchus

9. Basilosaurus

10. Orthacanthus

11. A flying Nyctosaurus

12. Edestus

13. Pliosaurus

Jorgesaurus

Shunosaurus, concavenator, ceratosaurus, cryoliphosaurus and hesperosaurus

thomasw100

I would love a Shunosaurus and a Shantungosaurus. These would be quite famous and iconic genera from China, so this would fit well into what seems to be the current focus of PNSO. I am curious if PNSO will answer the call from Haolonggood and will have the courage to release a really large 1:35 scale sauropod.

Sim

I just noticed, excluding the Spinosaurus, PNSO's last four theropods have been allosauroids.  And prior to them, earlier in 2023 PNSO made three more allosauroids.  That's seven allosauroid figures in a year and a half of PNSO's figures, it's ridiculous in my opinion.  There was a period some time ago where I disliked certain dinosaur groups because companies kept making members of them and kept ignoring groups I liked more.  I thought companies had moved past that stage, but PNSO and allosauroids are bringing that same feeling that I got back then.  I find it unpleasant.  I don't think I'll go back to disliking allosauroids or anything, but I do feel disappointed in PNSO's lack of theropod diversity.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on June 07, 2024, 10:21:10 PMI just noticed, excluding the Spinosaurus, PNSO's last four theropods have been allosauroids.  And prior to them, earlier in 2023 PNSO made three more allosauroids.  That's seven allosauroid figures in a year and a half of PNSO's figures, it's ridiculous in my opinion.  There was a period some time ago where I disliked certain dinosaur groups because companies kept making members of them and kept ignoring groups I liked more.  I thought companies had moved past that stage, but PNSO and allosauroids are bringing that same feeling that I got back then.  I find it unpleasant.  I don't think I'll go back to disliking allosauroids or anything, but I do feel disappointed in PNSO's lack of theropod diversity.

Now think how people like myself who only collect herbivores must have felt during that time. Quite frustrating actually if you hope that after 10 or more theropods in a row something different would finally be released. But then guess what, another theropod. But I am now past that stage. I am happy for people who enjoy a model that has been released, even if this is not for me. I just wait until something comes out that I like. With Haolonggood producing so many models now, it is good for my budget that I do not need to buy every PNSO model. And I can afford the occasional repaint by an artist and get some really unique models.

Sim

I just saw Paleofiguras say that PNSO will be producing a new Mosasaurus figure.  Given how reliable they are, it looks like PNSO will be releasing something that isn't a dinosaur again!  I hope they do more than just Mosasaurus though, I'd love a long-necked plesiosauroid from PNSO!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: