You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Models modified by Artists! From various social media platforms…

Started by Bread, July 16, 2023, 01:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Thanks Bread for pointing this out. It was indeed my idea to fix small issues in models that otherwise I liked very much. The driver here was actually the Haoloonggood Sinoceratops. When I saw the first pictures, I very much liked it until I saw that seamline. This made the figure look like as if had received a head transplant. I was then so happy when Dinosaur Models Artworks told me that he can cover this and also do a touch up of the paint in line with the original paint scheme. So I went ahead and sent him also the Kosmoceratops. The Pachyrhinosaurus was a different issue. I never liked the color palette that Haolonggood had used (not so much the paint scheme, but really the color tones), so I was very happy that this could get a full repaint.

Bread

Quote from: thomasw100 on February 28, 2024, 03:37:23 PMThe Pachyrhinosaurus was a different issue. I never liked the color palette that Haolonggood had used (not so much the paint scheme, but really the color tones), so I was very happy that this could get a full repaint.

I'm heavily motivated to do the same with Haolonggood's Pachyrhinosaurus. Especially since I'm really liking the brown tones on both of the repaints dinosaur_models_artworks has done for this Pachyrhinosaurus sculpt.

Also just posting the final product of DeClayStudio's Torosaurus repaint.

Underrated sculpt in my opinion is PNSO's Torosaurus. In my opinion it's often too forgotten and a true definitive model for this genus. The bulk and simple posture is perfection.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I have that model, honestly, like most pnso models, the paint job really stands on its own as well. It's also got an incredible feeling of bulk to it. You can truly feel just how powerful this animal is.

Jiminy350

Hi all! This is my first post on Dinosaur Toy Forum. I've seen incredible repaintings and customizations of figures, so I've decided to share a revision I've done on PNSO's Amargasaurus for what it's worth.

I collect figures with a couple primary criterion: They need to be very close to 1/35 scale (so I have a better sense of relative sizes of all the animals), and as close as possible to being accurately portrayed as is known about the animal. A few figures I've obtained have sometimes had some flaws in terms of accuracy. I have a few figures that I plan sometime to correct what I think are some flaws, but I've got many other projects, so my posts will undoubtedly be few and far between.

In the paper published by Cerda, et al in March 2022 on the examination of Amargasaurus neural spines to determine if they were keratinized or supported skin, they concluded that the spines couldn't have been covered with keratin and instead were covered their entire length with skin. So based on this I decided to revise my Amargasaurus to reflect this finding. Also I decided to keep PNSO's paint scheme and have the "sail" painting have some attractive coloration for possible sexual display that would also harmonize with PNSO's painting scheme. This would allow a more apples-to-apples comparison between the visual appearance of the two theories of keratinized spines vs skin covered spines.

I've posted pictures so you can compare the PNSO spine version vs my revised "sail" version.

Amargasaurus PNSO 1a.jpgAmargasaurus with sail revision 1a.jpgAmargasaurus PNSO 1b.jpgAmargasaurus with sail revision 1b.jpg

Jiminy350

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can anyone tell me why my pictures are appearing on my new post as links instead of pictures? I just need a little help to get started posting messages here.  :D

SRF

Quote from: Jiminy350 on March 06, 2024, 05:07:49 AMI'd really appreciate it if anyone can anyone tell me why my pictures are appearing on my new post as links instead of pictures? I just need a little help to get started posting messages here.  :D

You can't use your own dropbox as a source for posting pictures I think. There's a seperate thread on the forum which explains how to share pictures on the forum.
But today, I'm just being father

Jiminy350

Thank you, SRF, for trying to help! I really appreciate it! :))

But I've found other images on this forum that source pictures from Dropbox, so I know pictures stored there will display on this forum. However I still can't figure out how to successfully post a picture.

I also looked throughout the forum for picture posting instructions and I found the thread "Posting Images" in the Business section of this forum, and the initial Administrator advice posted there in 2012. However what he describes isn't what appears in the pop-up box for inserting pictures that shows up for me, and the advice provided about adding the bracketed img text before and after each link also wasn't automatically inserted when I clicked the Insert button, and also didn't work when I manually added them before and after each link.

I've scanned a number of pages in that string at the beginning and several pages of the most recent posts but can't find any useful instructions that work.

I'm trying to now check to see if there's something wrong with my Dropbox links. I'm having trouble getting assistance or finding answers on Dropbox as well, so it may be a while.

Bread

J @Jiminy350 you need to include the img link in between the two img inner brackets ] [/

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum could further help your dilemma.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Bread on March 07, 2024, 01:38:00 PMJ @Jiminy350 you need to include the img link in between the two img inner brackets ] [/

I can certainly help. I may need to check and update the instructions to account for minor changes to the image insert button since 2012, but fundamentally nothing major has changed. Locate the image file web address (=URL) on Dropbox (it should end in .jpg or something like that) and 'copy' it. On the forum, click the 'Insert an Image' button and that will give you a field that says "URL". Paste the URL in the URL field and then click "insert". That'll do it.

Note, you don't need to use the button. You can just manually type the code out, it's really simple [ i m g ]URL here[/ i m g] without the spaces.

Remember, you can also now upload images directly to the forum if you prefer.

Jiminy350

Quote from: Bread on March 07, 2024, 01:38:00 PMJ @Jiminy350 you need to include the img link in between the two img inner brackets ] [/

Thanks, Bread, but I did have my URL between the two img inner brackets but it didn't work and I didn't want to leave the URL garbage there so I deleted it. Somehow the img texts remained.

I've given up trying to use pics from Dropbox. Their customer service and tech help leave a lot to be desired and I'll be pulling my stuff off Dropbox.

I added a few images to Google Photos thinking that would work, but I just tried to add one to my post and although everything looks good in my edit screen (the URL between the img texts in brackets on each end) no picture showed up, and the code didn't even appear in the post like it did before. I'm not sure what that indicates.  :-\

The Google Photos link I used was a shared link that's supposed to be viewable by anyone, but I've not used Google Photos before, so maybe I'm not doing something right there. More checking to do. :-[

Dr Admin,  How do I upload images directly to the forum? Is there a button that will prompt me to select the file to upload or some other way I need to do that?

thomasw100

Quote from: Jiminy350 on March 06, 2024, 04:54:16 AMHi all! This is my first post on Dinosaur Toy Forum. I've seen incredible repaintings and customizations of figures, so I've decided to share a revision I've done on PNSO's Amargasaurus for what it's worth.

I collect figures with a couple primary criterion: They need to be very close to 1/35 scale (so I have a better sense of relative sizes of all the animals), and as close as possible to being accurately portrayed as is known about the animal. A few figures I've obtained have sometimes had some flaws in terms of accuracy. I have a few figures that I plan sometime to correct what I think are some flaws, but I've got many other projects, so my posts will undoubtedly be few and far between.

In the paper published by Cerda, et al in March 2022 on the examination of Amargasaurus neural spines to determine if they were keratinized or supported skin, they concluded that the spines couldn't have been covered with keratin and instead were covered their entire length with skin. So based on this I decided to revise my Amargasaurus to reflect this finding. Also I decided to keep PNSO's paint scheme and have the "sail" painting have some attractive coloration for possible sexual display that would also harmonize with PNSO's painting scheme. This would allow a more apples-to-apples comparison between the visual appearance of the two theories of keratinized spines vs skin covered spines.

I've posted pictures so you can compare the PNSO spine version vs my revised "sail" version.

Amargasaurus PNSO 1a.jpgAmargasaurus with sail revision 1a.jpgAmargasaurus PNSO 1b.jpgAmargasaurus with sail revision 1b.jpg

Interesting thing is the 3D printable model that was just released by Paleokhris has quite a comparable geometry of the "sail".

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Jiminy350 on March 07, 2024, 08:00:49 PMDr Admin,  How do I upload images directly to the forum? Is there a button that will prompt me to select the file to upload or some other way I need to do that?

Looks like we worked out out between us in the end! :)

Carnoking

Bread

Revisiting this thread...

Been super busy, work and cars have been keeping me busy and out of this hobby lately ;)

Although I've sold off a few models here and there again, I've been still (VERY) slowly acquiring here and there.

My last and most recent commission through dinosaur_models_artworks was another Cameron the Tyrannosaurus by PNSO.

I felt the chuckwalla rexes were too flamboyant at times, so this led to a more basic add lips.

Well it went further than that as you can see... Added crest with the color of them reflecting the dark grey/black color of the scales around the mouth. Plus, I've requested the addition of Sue's ankle injury we see in Blue Rhino Studio's Sue. Finally, I've also requested a fresh wound on the other side of the model. References for this was Prehistoric Planet's Tyrannosaurus in season 1, which brought down the adult Triceratops. I almost requested for an injury on the tail, specifically a bit of the tip of the tail nipped off. But decided not to.

thomasw100

Lana Time Shop sent me the first pictures of my completed and painted Argentinosurus, one of these three kits that I purchase from them (Argentinosaurus, Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus). The other two giants are on their way already. I include one picture of each of them for comparison.

Carnoking

Bread

Concavenator

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on May 03, 2024, 06:56:51 PMI imagine shipping costs are not cheap for those guys.

The Basrosaurus and Maraapunisaurus were 410 USD each including painting and shipping cost. The Argntinosaurus was 550 USD also including shipping. Certainly not cheap but for models that size and the beautiful individual paint application still reasonable in my view. They came down quite a bit from the original price because they were somewhat downsized to conform to what I figured would be a reasonable size in 1:35 scale.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on May 03, 2024, 03:44:58 PMHow in the world do you fit these on your shelf??? :o

Honestly I am not sure yet. But I collect models with quite some restrictions. First, I have a one model per species rule (with very few exceptions), second I collect only herbivores (also with very few exceptions) and third I only collect models from PNSO and Haolongood and then also selected resin models. This serves to keep the collection rather compact such that I can afford some large sauropods as sauropods are my favorite group of dinosaurs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: