News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres That's why I'm not a strict scale collector. I mean don't get me wrong, it is great to have a bunch of animals from the same formation at the same scale, or perhaps a particular group, but I am here for exceptions. Things like the PNSO mini figures and Kaiyodo, etc were at a good size I think for representing small animals (edit: with having good detail and handability). While they would truly be too big at 1:35, they are still smaller then your large theropods, sauropods, etc in that scale.

Granted 1:18 is almost like a sweet spot for scale purists with the BotM and Mattel stuff more or less. Like I think of the size disparity between the new Mattel Eoraptor and their Brachiosaurus. Or like the BotM 1:18 Velociraptor and the Tyrannosaurus. Might not always be 1:1 in some instances but it gets the point across.

That aside, sometimes you gotta take what you get, regardless of the scale, or go without, as some options for some animals are few and far between (some only having one option, ignoring 3D printed things)
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Yep, I organize my collection by scale, but I couldn't restrict myself to one scale.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoFan2010

The Schleich 2012 T.rex is overrated. Not very controversial, but I wanted to say that.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on May 13, 2024, 01:14:50 PMThe Schleich 2012 T.rex is overrated. Not very controversial, but I wanted to say that.

Just about every Schleich is over rated lol

Primeval12

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 13, 2024, 03:05:36 PM
Quote from: DinoFan2010 on May 13, 2024, 01:14:50 PMThe Schleich 2012 T.rex is overrated. Not very controversial, but I wanted to say that.

Ya, with the exception of a select few (notably the Psittacosaurus and 2019 Spino), they're kinda mid.

Halichoeres

Depends where you are I guess! Most people on this forum have a low opinion of Schleich, which might mean they're about correctly rated. But they are certainly the most widely distributed, so in terms of sales it's fair to say they're overrated.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Turkeysaurus

Detachable parts , especially for giant dinosaurs. Anything that helps at cost of shipping and customs rules for those who can't afford or unable get those figures in their countries. Hollow figures too if that helps.

People should stop demanding more Megalodon and Deinosuchus/Sarcosuchus/Titanboa/Palaeoloxodon etc. and demand more Permian & Triassic & Cenozoic weirdos. We can buy bigger versions of a modern animal and just call it megalodon, deinosuchus, palaeoloxodon etc.

I prefer some scientific inaccuracy over some mediocre details & paint work. (For example Rebor > Eofauna & Safari ltd. for me )

I think PNSO Iguanodon head is correct.

Usually i prefer modest coloring of PNSO over too vibrant/colors and patterns of Haolonggood & BOTM. ( i know these might be fighting words  ;D )

This is therapeutic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 13, 2024, 04:01:56 PM

Ya, with the exception of a select few (notably the Psittacosaurus and 2019 Spino), they're kinda mid.

I do have the Psittacosaurus. They should have kept that sculptor/designer.  My favorites are their very early pieces, I have almost all of those as they are "retrosaurs" and look as such. Several are really nicely detailed despite being outdated.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 13, 2024, 09:37:16 PMDetachable parts , especially for giant dinosaurs. Anything that helps at cost of shipping and customs rules for those who can't afford or unable get those figures in their countries. Hollow figures too if that helps.

People should stop demanding more Megalodon and Deinosuchus/Sarcosuchus/Titanboa/Palaeoloxodon etc. and demand more Permian & Triassic & Cenozoic weirdos. We can buy bigger versions of a modern animal and just call it megalodon, deinosuchus, palaeoloxodon etc.

I prefer some scientific inaccuracy over some mediocre details & paint work. (For example Rebor > Eofauna & Safari ltd. for me )

I think PNSO Iguanodon head is correct.

Usually i prefer modest coloring of PNSO over too vibrant/colors and patterns of Haolonggood & BOTM. ( i know these might be fighting words  ;D )

This is therapeutic.

Are you aware that Miniature Museum has a large range of 3D printable Permian species. They can be obtained through Dinosauria Creatures or you can of course use any other 3D printing company. Link: https://www.myminifactory.com/users/MuseumMiniatures?show=store#/

DinoFan2010

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2024, 03:09:35 AM

I do have the Psittacosaurus. They should have kept that sculptor/designer.  My favorites are their very early pieces, I have almost all of those as they are "retrosaurs" and look as such. Several are really nicely detailed despite being outdated.
Isn't the sculptor of the Psittacosaurus Vlad Konstantinov? Same for the 2019 Spinosaurus I believe.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on May 14, 2024, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 14, 2024, 03:09:35 AM

Isn't the sculptor of the Psittacosaurus Vlad Konstantinov? Same for the 2019 Spinosaurus I believe.

Yes your right. Probably why the Spino looks a lot like Showanna's models.  If the Rex goes over well imagine a really nice updated version of that Spino with no blunted teeth.

crazy8wizard

I love that the tail of the 2019 Schleich Spinosaurus is thick and tall. It seems like it almost predicted the 2020 fin tail.

Faelrin

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard It's bipedal too (but leaning on its claws for support of course), which also came about from the 2020 paper with the tail. Just missing the rounded sail shape from the most recent(?) paper on it (or like from Mark Witton's blog before said paper I think?).

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Faelrin on May 14, 2024, 06:17:45 PMavatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard It's bipedal too (but leaning on its claws for support of course), which also came about from the 2020 paper with the tail. Just missing the rounded sail shape from the most recent(?) paper on it (or like from Mark Witton's blog before said paper I think?).

The sail shape changes so often that I'm fine with whatever. Lopsided M, rounded rectangle, half oval, or lemon wedge all look nice to me

Faelrin

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard That is true, lol. I am open to whatever sail shape it may have had as well, but that said I am drawn to the current round one. It reminds me of the older interpretations (such as the JPIII design) pre-2014.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 13, 2024, 09:37:16 PMPeople should stop demanding more Megalodon and Deinosuchus/Sarcosuchus/Titanboa/Palaeoloxodon etc. and demand more Permian & Triassic & Cenozoic weirdos. We can buy bigger versions of a modern animal and just call it megalodon, deinosuchus, palaeoloxodon etc.

As a fan of fish, I haaaate seeing new megalodon figures. There are so many amazing fish in the fossil record to waste plastic on more slightly-larger-shark.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 14, 2024, 06:09:21 PMI love that the tail of the 2019 Schleich Spinosaurus is thick and tall. It seems like it almost predicted the 2020 fin tail.

Check out the deluxe Papo one. We were actually complaining about why it had an eel tail not knowing it was more accurate lol

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 15, 2024, 03:48:10 AM
Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 14, 2024, 06:09:21 PMI love that the tail of the 2019 Schleich Spinosaurus is thick and tall. It seems like it almost predicted the 2020 fin tail.

Check out the deluxe Papo one. We were actually complaining about why it had an eel tail not knowing it was more accurate lol

It's rather thin from side to side and has a fin on the bottom too, which bothers me. The Schleich one more fits with the musculature described and the Papo one better matches the fin.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 14, 2024, 07:33:51 AMAre you aware that Miniature Museum has a large range of 3D printable Permian species. They can be obtained through Dinosauria Creatures or you can of course use any other 3D printing company. Link: https://www.myminifactory.com/users/MuseumMiniatures?show=store#/

No i didnt know that website. Thank you.

Primeval12

I forgot to add, I love the Schleich Kentrosaurus too. Also the Dinogorgon is excellent!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: