You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Elengassen @Elengassen I bought that figure because I thought it was a good dromaeosaurid reconstruction (certainly Kaiyodo's best yet), but I'm not the biggest fan of the controversial choice of Dakotaraptor, so I'm glad to see it could work as a 1:35 Deinonychus instead! The anatomy isn't far off I think. My alternatives are the Rebor ones, which are too large if I recall.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Concavenator

Quote from: Elengassen on May 31, 2024, 12:44:33 AMIs there really much of a noticeable difference between those scales? A lot of the old '1:40' figures were closer to 1:35 anyway.

I would say there is a bit of a difference indeed. Especially apparent with bigger sauropods like Diplodocus, Apatosaurus, etc. Sure, one thing is the advertised scale and another the actual scale. What you say there is true, just as a lot of figures currently advertised as "1:35" are really more like 1:30 (or even bigger!).

Elengassen

Quote from: Faelrin on May 31, 2024, 05:23:41 AMavatar_Elengassen @Elengassen I'm glad to see it could work as a 1:35 Deinonychus instead! The anatomy isn't far off I think.

Well, I'm not a paleontologist, but if you showed it to me and said it was a Deinonychus I don't think I would question you. On close inspection I think the head looks most like a Dromaeosaurus:

Quote from: Concavenator on May 31, 2024, 10:08:15 AMI would say there is a bit of a difference indeed. Especially apparent with bigger sauropods like Diplodocus, Apatosaurus, etc.

Fair enough! I suppose every inch of shelf space counts  :))
One day we will know the truth about Spinosaurus... but not today.

Concavenator

Quote from: Elengassen on May 31, 2024, 10:34:59 AMFair enough! I suppose every inch of shelf space counts  :))

For some collectors, it sure does!

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Elengassen on May 31, 2024, 10:34:59 AMWell, I'm not a paleontologist, but if you showed it to me and said it was a Deinonychus I don't think I would question you. On close inspection I think the head looks most like a Dromaeosaurus:

Take that with a grain of salt though because nearly the whole upper half of Dromaeosaurus' skull is not preserved. This reconstruction gives it a tall, boxy look based on what's preserved of the maxilla.

Elengassen

Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 31, 2024, 05:24:24 PMTake that with a grain of salt though because nearly the whole upper half of Dromaeosaurus' skull is not preserved. This reconstruction gives it a tall, boxy look based on what's preserved of the maxilla.

Fair enough, didn't know that. As I said I'm not a paleontologist  ;D
Anyway at that size the difference isn't very obvious – I think the figure would work as any generic dromaeosaurine.

Sim

Quote from: crazy8wizard on May 31, 2024, 05:24:24 PMTake that with a grain of salt though because nearly the whole upper half of Dromaeosaurus' skull is not preserved. This reconstruction gives it a tall, boxy look based on what's preserved of the maxilla.
I don't think it's just based on the maxilla.  Dromaeosaurus's lower jaw is also robust as can be seen here: http://www.paleofile.com/Dinosaurs/Theropods/Dromaeosaurus.asp  It would be very strange if the rest of Dromaeosaurus's skull wasn't robust.  I think what we're seeing in these Dromaeosaurus reconstructions is the minimum depth of the skull.  It could be taller and boxier based on Utahraptor.  Also Dromaeosaurus's possible descendant Atrociraptor has a deep, robust skull.

Regarding Dakotaraptor possibly being an unenlagiine, its tail remains have the double-bony rod system that is only found in rhamphorhynchids, and certain dromaeosaurids which don't include any unenlagiines.

As for the Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor, in addition to working as Dakotaraptor, I also think it could work as Dromaeosaurus, Atrociraptor, Achillobator...  There are two types of Deinonychus skulls shown in the second edition of the Princeton field guide to dinosaurs, the larger one is what we see in e.g. the Wild Safari Deinonychus and Creative Beast Deinonychus.  The other skull is a little smaller and less elongated and I think the Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor can work as this form of Deinonychus.  I don't know if the smaller Deinonychus skull is of a different species to the larger one, Paul considers them both Deinonychus antirrhopus.  It might just be different growth stages then..

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on May 30, 2024, 11:15:32 PMPersonally, I'd rather have my sauropods in 1:40 than in 1:35, just in order to save space. That applies to smaller sauropods like Amargasaurus and Shunosaurus too, but those being smaller I don't really have a problem with them being made in 1:35.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I recall you said you were going to get rid of Kaiyodo's Dakotaraptor because you said it was too small for you (around 1:50 - 1:60). Starting from which scale would you consider a figure to be "too small"?

For huge sauropods, I see why you would be okay with 1:60 or so. If they're big figures at that scale, at 1:35 they're absolutely massive. Not that this is any problem for Haolonggood, though!

This is maybe a bit silly, but in general I only collect 'miniatures' if they're above 1:50, but 'standard'-size figures I'll keep even if they're at a smaller scale than that. Essentially, I just don't want miniatures of gigantic organisms. Obviously they're all miniatures in a way, except when we're talking about arthropods and so forth, but when I say miniature I'm talking about things like Kaiyodo, Safari Toobs, CollectA mini boxes, etc. So I'll accept a smaller scale for sauropods, trees, or the largest marine animals, as long as the figure's size isn't 'miniature.' I have some trees that could work at 1:300, but figures of prehistoric trees are so rare and precious that I'm not going to turn my nose up at them.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

thomasw100

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 02, 2024, 06:55:18 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on May 30, 2024, 11:15:32 PMPersonally, I'd rather have my sauropods in 1:40 than in 1:35, just in order to save space. That applies to smaller sauropods like Amargasaurus and Shunosaurus too, but those being smaller I don't really have a problem with them being made in 1:35.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I recall you said you were going to get rid of Kaiyodo's Dakotaraptor because you said it was too small for you (around 1:50 - 1:60). Starting from which scale would you consider a figure to be "too small"?

For huge sauropods, I see why you would be okay with 1:60 or so. If they're big figures at that scale, at 1:35 they're absolutely massive. Not that this is any problem for Haolonggood, though!

This is maybe a bit silly, but in general I only collect 'miniatures' if they're above 1:50, but 'standard'-size figures I'll keep even if they're at a smaller scale than that. Essentially, I just don't want miniatures of gigantic organisms. Obviously they're all miniatures in a way, except when we're talking about arthropods and so forth, but when I say miniature I'm talking about things like Kaiyodo, Safari Toobs, CollectA mini boxes, etc. So I'll accept a smaller scale for sauropods, trees, or the largest marine animals, as long as the figure's size isn't 'miniature.' I have some trees that could work at 1:300, but figures of prehistoric trees are so rare and precious that I'm not going to turn my nose up at them.

As you mention trees, do you know any source of high quality prehistoric plants, possibly some 3D printable models? As I am getting this huge base from Haolonggood in summer, I would like to enrich this a bit with some larger plants. These aquarium ferns the base comes with are not exactly what I would like there.

Halichoeres

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 02, 2024, 08:03:19 AMAs you mention trees, do you know any source of high quality prehistoric plants, possibly some 3D printable models? As I am getting this huge base from Haolonggood in summer, I would like to enrich this a bit with some larger plants. These aquarium ferns the base comes with are not exactly what I would like there.

I'm writing the following on the assumption that you're looking for things to fit a 1:35 display.

• The Araucaria trees from the Beasts of the Mesozoic accessory packs work pretty well at that scale. The Microraptor pack is probably most versatile in this respect because it doesn't have a dusting of snow.
• It's out of production, but Safari's "cycad" could work at 1:35
• CollectA's plants are out of scale
• If you want something that doesn't take up too much space but enriches the background, Berliner Zinnfiguren, Schmalkalder, and Mignot have various prehistoric plants available as flat pewter figures (they require painting). Some of the larger ones would work, although some are much too small.
• This user on MyMiniFactory (https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Don%20Whitaker?show=store) has several prehistoric plant prints; they are not especially rigorous but some of them look nice. I think the Williamsonia and Sigillaria are the best of them.
• Model train shops might have some nice HO or O scale conifers or magnolias that you could use as-is or lightly modify to fit in to your display.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Elengassen

I think the BOTM ceratopsian and tyrannosaur series (at least the larger species) should have been made in 1:35 scale instead of 1:18. That way, they'd have been more affordable, less space-consuming, and for scale nerds like me, they'd fit in better with figures from other brands. Plus, for the bipeds, this might have helped mitigate the stability issues.

Turkeysaurus

Haolonggood should stop making blue dinosaurs.

Baryonyx

Haolonggood should not make any more figures in the walking straight ahead pose, it makes them look the same which is unfair to the excellent quality otherwise.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 14, 2024, 02:55:58 PMHaolonggood should stop making blue dinosaurs.
They literally make two or three versions per figure what is the problem lmao
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 14, 2024, 02:55:58 PMHaolonggood should stop making blue dinosaurs.
I hope to see more blue dinosaurs from Haolonggood!  I don't see a problem with it since they offer each figure in more than one colour scheme.

Quote from: Baryonyx on June 14, 2024, 03:03:16 PMHaolonggood should not make any more figures in the walking straight ahead pose, it makes them look the same which is unfair to the excellent quality otherwise.
I too feel Haolonggood has used this pose too often, but I'm still happy with their figures.  I wouldn't want them to stop using a walking pose completely, just use it less often.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 14, 2024, 05:22:00 PM
They literally make two or three versions per figure what is the problem lmao

People want different colors but when "vivid" option is blue thats very odd and striking color in a dinosaur collection.

If you already bought blue Alamosaurus, it will be weird to get blue mamenchisaurus.So you have tonget classic Brown or Green dinosaur... With New Stegosaurus release green Stegosaurus is only choice because other Two variants are mostly blue.

HLG needs to understand blue is very odd and unrealistic color especially for large land animals.

How many large blue land animals exist in nature today? Its even rare for any animal.

Faelrin

Well that could be controversial, or not. Not sure how the general consensus here feels.

Anyways, I think if you don't like it, don't buy. Even if it might be unrealistic, we have no way to know what colors most dinosaurs were. These are ultimately toys at the end of the day. If someone wants a bright blue giant sauropod for their shelf, where's the harm? No reason to stop producing certain colors, and options just because some don't like them. Plenty of others do.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Only one of the stegosaurus variants is blue?

Unless you're counting the accent plate color on the red/geeen "fruit" variant, which seems silly to me, might as well say the blue variant with red tipped plates makes two red variants.

Sim

The amount of blue on large land animals might be affected by the facts that 1. most large land animals are hairy and hair can't naturally be blue, and 2. most large land animals are colourblind mammals.  Primates that aren't colourblind sometimes have blue on their skin (since hair can't be blue, they can only be blue on bare skin).

Blue isn't an unrealistic colour when there are animals alive today that are blue.  I think purple is the less realistic colour, it's rarer than blue among animals.

Elengassen

For anyone who hasn't watched the DinosDragons video, I think the issue with blue dinosaurs brought up in that video was that blue isn't a pigment that animals' bodies can manufacture, so they have to get it from their food somehow – and it would be unlikely that large animals such as big dinosaurs would be able to get enough to allow them to have a mostly blue coloration, as apparently even small animals struggle with this.

In light of this, the blue accents on the red/green Stegosaurus's plates are more realistic IMO. If you consider those as being specifically a display structure, it makes sense that they'd be highlighted in such a rare, eye-catching colour.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: