You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

Next Kit -

A large and colorful new box arrived -

A new SHINZEN ( 竹内しんぜん ) Modeling Research Institute ( 造形研究所 ) Resin kit -

The Phamplet says it all :
A 9 Parts 2021 Resin kit of a wounded limping Gorgosaurus ( ゴルゴサウルス ) named 'Ruth' -
Which was the center piece of the latest book by Takeuchi Shinzen -

Spreading all parts as I received them -

Notice the small mammal at the side of the display stand -

Being a modern high quality kit - it has all the adaptive sockets between all parts -

However, in such case - if some redundant casting material is left behind - it is even more difficult to remove it - see the tail -

Eventually all is cleaned and assembled -

Perfectly balanced both on the flat floor or at its designated spots on the display stand - I will not glue it just yet ...

A close look at this scarry creature -

I notice now that the upper left leg also carrying a large heeling mark from a wound -

Although wounded and in pain -
This carnivore is always on the prowl for its next meal -

With another Gorgosaurus - the X-Plus Albertosaurus -

With my Juvenile Tyrannosaurus builtup kit -

Here are few interesting paintjob suggestions - If I ever decide to apply colors on these two -

SHINZEN himself used two different color schemes when he introduced his latest works at wonder festival -
The original orange\brown corresponds to the book - and the later greenish blue -

Alas, In any case - most who come to buy these kits are faced with the 'SOLD OUT' sign -
I don't know why they are playing so 'hard to get' - both at events or on their online store -

It explains why when ever a kit is being offered - it triggers a fierce bidding war - such as happened even today - for this 2006 1/20 T-rex kit -
sold for 400,000 / ( 157/1.08 ) which is about 2,700 $ 

BrontoScorpio

Next Kit - or rather next group of kits -
Kaiyodo - the 'Dinosaur Museum Series'  - 7 Resin Garage kits from 1984 :

BrontoScorpio

Begin with these two :

Inside the Kaiyodo boxes are -

Two Resin kits ( レジン製キット ) Dinosaurs by Shinichi Yamashita ( 原型製作 :山下伸一   )

BlueKrono

I love that old school look! There is truly no end to the diversity of Japanese resins.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

UK

Quote from: BlueKrono on June 03, 2024, 11:19:31 AMI love that old school look! There is truly no end to the diversity of Japanese resins.

Or the budget required to acquire them!

I do hope you have them individually listed on your contents insurance avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio.

Really interesting to see all this arrivals, how do you source them? Just Jauce or other proxies or do you have a contact in Japan?

Ludodactylus

Your collection makes me want to take up building and painting model kits again instead of just doing wargaming figures.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: BlueKrono on June 03, 2024, 11:19:31 AMI love that old school look! There is truly no end to the diversity of Japanese resins.
At that time they really were the only ones who had companies who made collection resin kits.

Quote from: UK on June 03, 2024, 12:49:22 PM... the budget required to acquire them!
Alas this is so true ...

Quote from: UK on June 03, 2024, 12:49:22 PMI do hope you have them individually listed on your contents insurance avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio.

LOL ... No insurance company would do that !
Unfortunately I currently live just on the border in a war zone -
There are missiles, rockets and drones here on a daily basis -
So I took the more expensive ones ( most of which I have not introduced yet ) into my specially built protected room,
made out of almost 2 feets of Reinforced concrete and two inches thick steel shutters.
maybe they'll survive even after me ... :)
I'll take some pictures once I'm done with the Kits individual presentations.

Quote from: UK on June 03, 2024, 12:49:22 PMReally interesting to see all this arrivals, how do you source them? Just Jauce or other proxies or do you have a contact in Japan?
I don't use Jauce - rather other 3 different shopping services -
One in Toyama, one in Osaka and the 3rd in Tokyo.
depends on the circumstances.

Quote from: Ludodactylus on June 03, 2024, 02:53:49 PMYour collection makes me want to take up building and painting model kits again instead of just doing wargaming figures.
Thanks ( Blushing ... )
You can have it both ways ... :)

postsaurischian

Awesome collection and the SHINZEN Gorgosaurus is another real gem you could add. Congratulations!

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 04, 2024, 07:41:56 AMUnfortunately I currently live just on the border in a war zone -
There are missiles, rockets and drones here on a daily basis .......

I'm a bit shocked. I hope it's not too personal when I'm asking: Where do you live?

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 04, 2024, 09:18:01 AMAwesome collection and the SHINZEN Gorgosaurus is another real gem you could add. Congratulations!

I saw some old posts of yours, since before my collecting time, where you discuss SHINZEN kits when they were still retail available, for prices that now seems ridiculous -
and I envy you for having the wits to enter this hobby on time ... :)

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 04, 2024, 09:18:01 AMQuote from: BrontoScorpio on 4.6.2024, 9:41:56
Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 04, 2024, 07:41:56 AMUnfortunately I currently live just on the border in a war zone -
There are missiles, rockets and drones here on a daily basis .......
I'm a bit shocked. I hope it's not too personal when I'm asking: Where do you live?

Well, I am not sure about getting into details -
But,Only yesterday we had a  large shelling and it ignited many fires further down the valey and on the opposite mountain ridge -

Night came and still the fires raged on - I was too lazy climbing a ladder to the rooftop for a better view - so my balcony will have to do ...

But I did manage to have a glimpse of my dinosaurs ( on the left ) at the same shot ...

postsaurischian

I understand. I deeply hope you won't get involved too much in the crisis and that the horror will end as soon as possible.

BrontoScorpio

Back on Dinosaurs -

to my Next group of kits - Kaiyodo - the 'Dinosaur Museum Series'  - 7 Resin Garage kits from 1984 -
and to the first Two Resin kits  by Shinichi Yamashita ( 山下伸一  ) 

Begin with this one :
Kaiyodo 1/35 Spinosaurus ( スピノサウルス ) Garage Kit by Shinichi Yamashita -
This is definitely one of the more iconic items in this Kaiyodo series - see the distinctive tongue piece - like a legendary Dragon -

I really thought at first this is a Dimetrodon we are dealing with here -
But the leaflet says otherways ...

So do All these Kaiyodo Catalogs -

Finished assembling all parts : A roaring Spinosaurus - would you believe that ? ....

Many years later, they all put the Spinosaurus back on all four - so you may look at it as ahead of its time ...  :)

So did this old Schleich Spinosaurus - the only Spino I could find in my collection that would slightly resemble this 1984 Kaiyodo Spinosaurus -

It was given a major place in the Kaiyodo figures museum :

And here's some other old style color schemes -
I'm sure now days we can do much better with the coloring of at least the Sailback ...

And of course, Don Glut has one too ...

Ludodactylus

That is so cool - like if Ray Harryhausen did a Spinosaurus. I definitely recall a couple of quadrupedal Spinosauruses in the books I had as a kid in the early 90s - very Dimetrodon-like.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Duna

I have just fallen in love with that quadrupedal Spino and the feathered velociraptor. They are incredible, congrats!

BrontoScorpio

The 2nd of the  first Two Resin kits  by Shinichi Yamashita -

Kaiyodo (  海洋堂 ) 1/10 Deinonychus (  ディノニクス ) Resin Kit (  レジン製キット  ) by Shinichi Yamashita (  山下信一 )
I'm under stress expecting all these small fingers and claws which tend to be so problematic ...

Actually, I could not find this kit in any Catalog.
The only reference I had for it to belong to Shinichi Yamashita (  山下信一 ) was this old YAJ auction -
BTW the only other time I had seen this sculpt put on sale.
but this was since before I was willing to search that deep into my pockets ...

And this old site :

And lastly - for the Scale information - The dinosaur studio site :

And of course - Don Glut -

OK, Enough with the references - lets build the thing !

All fingers and claws are now fixed to their places -

But how the hell is it going to stand on just one thin leg ?
And how would it even support the weight - this statue is much bigger than I thought it would be ...

But there it is - standing upright with no help at all

Perfectly balanced on one leg -

I didn't have to glue a thing more -

It really has the distinct appearance of Shinichi Yamashita's sculpts -

It was hard to capture in a photo - but it is as if the animal leans in one side in order to prepare for a leap to the other side -
like it is changing direction in the midst of running -

It takes a swing to the left in order to gather momentum

And there it is - just before the great leep to the right -

And my two Shinichi Yamashita's are united again , once fully built -

At the end I succumbed to the fear of what would happen if someone stumbles on my figures cabinet and shakes it up too much -
so I gave it a hint of glue -

Actually, I think I gave it too much glue -
but, even from this angle - it is amazing the figure is self supported and self balanced even without any glue -

Gathered all my Shinichi Yamashita dinosaurs from Kaiyodo Catalogs -

And aligned them toogether next to each other - 4 Resins and 3 Vinyls -
There are TWO I still miss ...

Ludodactylus

That's a stunning model, and it's so impressive that it balances so well.

It reminds me of some of the dinosaur books I had in the very late 90s/early 2000s that used photographs of dinosaur sculptures instead of traditional illustration. The same sort of skin texture and facial expressions.

UK

avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio, with your encyclopaedic knowledge of the kaiyodo kits and figures, have you come across this figure? When I bought it 12 or so years ago, the seller had links in Japan and gave the provenance as a prototype kaiyodo resin model that was uncertain to go into production. I can't see any makers identification but it seems to match the general style of kaiyodo.

Quite a unique figure.

url=https://postimg.cc/HjdFwgDk][/url]

BrontoScorpio

There are many old one-of-a-kind pterosaurs made by Kazunari Araki for events and exhibitions -
and also some exclusive limited quantity models -
As I show here after in several Araki books.

But yours feels different.
Are you sure it is Resin made ?

UK

I will have a look tomorrow. It's probably not, but I would not know what materials it could be.

Definitely not rubber nor plastic.

And Araki was the name of the artist from memory.

Thanks for the information

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Duna on June 05, 2024, 03:06:47 PMI have just fallen in love with that quadrupedal Spino and the feathered velociraptor. They are incredible, congrats!

Just happen to stumble across some more information as to the mysterious Griffon feathered velociraptor -
Browsing through The 'Dino Press' magazines of 2001 and 2002

Where they had this announcement of the 2002 'Wonder festival' -

They had the feathered velociraptor on display

And an ad advertising this, then, new sculpt.
I still don't know what had happened that prevented this line from materializing.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Ludodactylus on June 06, 2024, 02:15:18 PM...  It reminds me of some of the dinosaur books I had in the very late 90s/early 2000s that used photographs of dinosaur sculptures instead of traditional illustration. The same sort of skin texture and facial expressions.

I have loads of these that depict known statues into a scenery - instead of painting the whole thing from scratch.

Here is just a tip of it In a nutshell -

Araki's work - pics 1,2,3

DINOLAND and more -

2 SHINZEN models -

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: