News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I'm hoping they get more stock of them. I'm surprised retailers like BBTS or Amazon (except the Japan site) don't even have them up for pre-order or in stock yet. Distribution this year is awful for the HC and no idea why.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shane

Quote from: Eatmycar on June 11, 2024, 06:33:37 AMAlright, I'll go ahead then since I've got both.

First, I have to say the Therizinosaurus is my favorite of the pair for its size. The 1/18 collector in me has to admit the honest truth - after a certain size, dinosaurs just get really cumbersome to pose. Therizinosaurus isn't there. Like the Carnotaurus, its at that size where it is big, impressive even, but it is not as clunky as the larger offerings like Tyrannosaurus, Giganotosaurus, or the BoTM rex. Everything about this guy shows that Mattel is actually attempting to innovate and adapt to change over time as a very quick pace, and it makes me appreciate the distance between releases. The glass eyes on the larger figures are better, to a point where I actually like them now. The tail is constructed better than older releases. Ratchets act as insurance down the line that our figures wont end up like the Resaurus figures... or BoTM's... and need stands.

Speaking of stands, have I mentioned that this thing can stand without an expensive base, swappable non-articulated legs, or a rod up its stomach?

Is it going to win an award for scientific accuracy? God, no, it ain't. But, is it going to stand on its own without collapsing onto its joints, and look absolutely imposing doing so? Yes.

And that's fine. I'd absolutely prefer if Colin Trevorrow respected paleontology and ensured the thing was accurate to current science ala Prehistoric Planet, or uniquely striking like The Isle's, but that is not here nor there. This is the best Therizinosaurus on the market in my eyes, because it is so striking and dynamic.

Likewise, Giga suffers from Colin Trevorrow and ILM disregarding science to make a monster. Again, I'd prefer to have The Isle's version of this animal on my desk as that one actually scared the crap out of me a number of times playing that game. But I'll settle for this. Another showstopper in my eyes. It feels like it jumped out of the film, for better or worse.

And Mattel's lack of attention to detail works out in my favor. The disgusting rip in the skin above the top right jaw is painted green and it disappears into the body perfectly. The massive chunks taken out of the animal's tail are missing in this movdel and it looks like the film animal in better times.

And, again, it stands without massive rods, no fighting gravity here, no hopes that its base will hold it up in six months. I just see the result of years of work coming to a head here, and the Mattel team should be proud of this thing. I hope we see more non-film species in this line, and I hope they're given this attention to detail.

That said, I do feel a bit of disappointment with these guys. And it's not towards Mattel. If anything, it's toward Beasts of the Mesozoic. I was incredibly excited about the Tyrannosaur line, but as details came out and life changed, I ended up missing Wave 1... then 2... and 3. And now I see posts here about the Tyrannosaurs buckling under their weight, and a new run of rods. I really feel I need to step back from that line until thee is serious innovation in the biped department.

For what it's worth regarding BOTM, I know people have had issues with the figures buckling under the weight, but I will say anecdotally, I have one BOTM T-rex, the Dino Riders colorway, and it has stood on top of my fridge for the better part of a year, without falling, or buckling, or tipping, etc. I currently have it posed very neutral, with no base or support rod. It's simply standing upright (though I will say, I am using the extra set of legs that do not have ankle articulation). Any sort of dynamic pose is out of the question for anything more than a photo shoot provided I could snap a pic before the whole thing tumbles over.

That said, I will definitely say the BOTM are much more cumbersome to deal with than the larger HC dinos. Partially this is because Mattel is clearly using lighter plastic and hollow pieces whenever possible. But it's also because Mattel is unencumbered by accuracy and realism. They're gonna make sure those feet are big enough to keep that dino standing, nevermind how clunky and oversized they are. To them, a stable figure is priority #1.

I've got both the Giga and the Theri, and I like them so far, but unfortunately their size means they've been hanging out on a random counter top while I figure out what needs to be re-arranged to accommodate them. You're right that over a certain size, posing just becomes a chore.

I definitely have more fun with the Therizinosaurus. The individually articulated claws are a nice touch, and it's more slender form means you can get a lot more in terms of posing out of it.

I like the detail of the Giga, and I thankfully avoided any major QC issues, but I pretty much just have to pose it in a way that I know it'll stay standing and then leave it at that.

I also don't like the soft cheek flaps (I felt the same about the HC rex). I don't want to put too much stress on them, so I feel compelled to keep the mouth at full open in whatever pose it ends up displayed in.

suspsy

Oh, so you did end up acquiring a Dino-Riders BotM T. rex, S @Shane? That's great news!

I would really like to get one of those new display stands for mine, but the shipping cost from Creative Beast's website is about twice the amount of the stand itself! Hopefully, avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur or Minizoo will end up carrying it eventually.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Dilopho

My BOTM T. rex stands on the base with the non-articulated legs whenever I'm not using it, and yeah, the weight of the pelvis is kind of ridiculous. Both of the hips feel suspiciously loose, and the articulated legs fold immediately if I try to use them, especially at the ankles.

I have a standing issue with my HC Carnotaurus too, though, the left leg became very loose and swings between the ratchet points. I call that the "left leg curse", because it just happens to so many of my figures. It's always that left leg.

BTW, USA peeps, are those two figures online only? Or are they in stores?
And does sold out online mean they're sold out for good?

Carnoking

avatar_Dilopho @Dilopho people have been finding them on shelves here in the states though the quantity seems limited to a scattered few. The Target app told me there was one of each in stock at my local store but when I went there, no such luck. Shortly after though, they became available to order for pickup, so I just did that. Fingers crossed the one and only copies they got here have no QC issues but I suppose I can always just return them if need be.
As far as ordering online goes, they've been coming in and out of stock on target's site for a few days now but that's pretty common for the early days of these "big" releases. I'm sure in no time the shelves will be plugged with them and they'll be in stock online for a comfortable amount of time. Heck, by Thanksgiving time, I'll bet one or both of them go on super sale for the holidays.

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on June 11, 2024, 06:25:36 PMOh, so you did end up acquiring a Dino-Riders BotM T. rex, S @Shane? That's great news!

Yes, I splurged on an eBay auction that was about the same price as buying it initially from the Kickstarter would have been.

I really love the detail, right now I have it displayed next to my HC rex and (still in the package) 93 homage rex (all on top of my fridge) and they look quite nice together.

Dilopho

Heads up UK peeps!
The Mattel Creations site is offering both of the new ones.

Carnoking

Quick update, Mattel absolutely cooked with this figure.

I haven't been opening my HC figures as of late (no room to display, and I prefer to keep them MIB until I find a second for cheap to open) but given the QC issues people have been reporting and the fact that the box was a little messed up (another reason I prefer to find these in stores), I decided to go ahead and open this one for examination.

It seems my luck is by and large in this time around, no missing eyes, two left arms/legs, holes, paint slops, etc. There does appear to be very slight splitting on that darned left leg but it's so minor that if people hadn't been reporting the issue, I probably wouldn't have even clocked it on mine. The joints might be a little loose in the legs and maybe the gum tissue isn't set entirely perfect in the mouth but those are minor nit picks on an otherwise awesome figure.

No-good-very-bad design aside, this sure makes for one awesome toy, and it took me longer than I'd care to admit to accept that that is exactly the point of this design and every other new animal introduced to the franchise: it exists solely to sell more toys. Artistic and scientific merit seem to have largely been abandoned in this franchise in favor of what will look good in a box, but looking at the glass half full, if Mattel keeps making them this nice, I suppose I can learn to live with it.

I'll be sure to share more photos when I get around to them. Might just have to open the theri I got today too...

Prehistory Resurrection

Dan Surprise's unboxing and review of the new Epic Attack Spinosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

So Target canceled my Theri/Giga order today. Luckily as mentioned the Giga is on Mattel's site so I ordered one there.

Did some custom work on this guy last night.  Tweaked the teeth, gave them a wash. Grey washed the whole thing. Painted in the wounds. Nostrils and dermis scales in the feet and hands.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on June 12, 2024, 03:49:23 AM
Dan Surprise's unboxing and review of the new Epic Attack Spinosaurus.

So..many..teeth. Looks like this one was designed by the same guy who did the new Tyrannosaurus, the the skin detail looks very similar. IDK if I need it or not..I have a feeling the HC Spino maybe coming next year?

Dilopho

It feels so weird to see the Spinosaurus, Triceratops and Monolophosaurus getting new figures with Mattel's own non-canon designs- not just a non-canon colour scheme, but fully new designs.

It's weird, between that and how many non-canon and very obscure species they do now, it's almost like they want to break away from the JP branding and just make dinosaur figures. x)
I don't think that's the case... but doesn't anybody else get those vibes?

I still wonder about the whole "Jurassic World Reimagined" thing, and the idea of it being "What if Jurassic World had completely different dinosaur designs?" Maybe even more accurate ones.

I guess we'll see...when are we supposed to find out more about that, btw? Was it next month?
I think this month it's gonna be a formal reveal of that Young rex set. Mr Arnold in his silly green armour.

Here's an idea for you: Jurassic Park EXTREME! Featuring a 12 inch MECHSTER ARNOLD, who has a giant cigar cannon with real misting action.

andrewsaurus rex

yes, it would be interesting if the "Reimagined" series is the dinosaurs of JP/JW but with more scientifically accurate sculpts.  I wonder how something like that would be received by JW fans?

Dilopho

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 12, 2024, 04:43:31 AMSo Target canceled my Theri/Giga order today. Luckily as mentioned the Giga is on Mattel's site so I ordered one there.

Did some custom work on this guy last night.  Tweaked the teeth, gave them a wash. Grey washed the whole thing. Painted in the wounds. Nostrils and dermis scales in the feet and hands.

This looks great! Are you gonna do the first toe's claws, too?

Dilopho

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on June 12, 2024, 06:22:28 PMyes, it would be interesting if the "Reimagined" series is the dinosaurs of JP/JW but with more scientifically accurate sculpts.  I wonder how something like that would be received by JW fans?

I would certainly prefer it to the other extreme, which is that they do the "Epic Evolution" style to the max and make over-the-top spiked, scaled, etc dinosaurs.

andrewsaurus rex

an 'over the top' series is by far the more likely.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dilopho on June 13, 2024, 02:38:39 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 12, 2024, 04:43:31 AMSo Target canceled my Theri/Giga order today. Luckily as mentioned the Giga is on Mattel's site so I ordered one there.

This looks great! Are you gonna do the first toe's claws, too?

Thanks!  I could..guess I just missed them lol Shouldn't be hard at all.

I'm betting the JW-reimagined line is Kenner-esque sets featuring JW characters. Maybe we'll finally get that Claire figure from JW  ^-^

Carnoking

As promised, extra photos of my new HC figures. I'm yet to open the Therizinosaurus but the Giganotosaurus gets my seal of approval!

Gwangi

I never liked the Dominion Giganotosaurus design but there is no denying that it makes for a fantastic action figure. I can't wait to get it!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: