News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on June 20, 2024, 09:21:56 PMDiabloceratops is honestly a bit of a let down as I was actually considering getting it since I don't like the pnso one, this feels like a older hlg release where the sculpting isn't as sharp as their newer work like the stego and mamenchi, the face looks cartoony as well, and I'm not a fan of the colors either... as for the stego, it looks huge, and something about the proportions seems off to me, but I will say, sculpt detail is amazing. Its really seeming like HLG might have different sculptors. By the way I don't mean to be so negative just saying what I see.

Some Haolonggood models are just great while others are not as great. And it seems to be unpredictable what the next one will be. After one that is great in every aspect (accuracy, sculpt, paint job) one that is not so great may come. The bottom line is that while I am sometimes not convinced by Haolonggood models and even regret some purchases or have to send some figures for repaint, I have never anything to complain about each and every PNSO model. Their run of this year so far has been outstanding. This is of course also a reflection of the price difference.

ceratopsian

My preference is also for the grey/blue.  I'll be getting one. 

Quote from: SidB on June 21, 2024, 01:16:19 AM
Quote from: Eatmycar on June 21, 2024, 01:00:35 AMThe blue one looks phenomenal - a wonderful way to avoid the cliche of red on Diabloceratops!

Too bad they're 1/35 and not 1/18, because this easily upsets the BoTM one in the color department.
I like the blue one too. I have the old Safari one and the very decent Schleich Diaboloceratops too, but I'll get one of these when they come out.

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 21, 2024, 08:46:47 AMMy preference is also for the grey/blue.  I'll be getting one. 

Quote from: Eatmycar on June 21, 2024, 01:00:35 AMThe blue one looks phenomenal - a wonderful way to avoid the cliche of red on Diabloceratops!

Too bad they're 1/35 and not 1/18, because this easily upsets the BoTM one in the color department.
I like the blue one too. I have the old Safari one and the very decent Schleich Diaboloceratops too, but I'll get one of these when they come out.

Same here, the grey/blue one is looking great.

Once again I'm not able to relate to the negative comments. If people want better paintjobs within this price segment, we'd have to reintroduce slave labour :P .

Carnoking

Whereas I don't find the paint jobs on these as successful as the other recent releases from HLG, I will say the natural lighting does wonders for them. I'm leaning towards picking up the blue because once again, the yellow variant just feels a little too yellow

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 21, 2024, 09:17:50 AM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 21, 2024, 08:46:47 AMMy preference is also for the grey/blue.  I'll be getting one. 

Once again I'm not able to relate to the negative comments. If people want better paintjobs within this price segment, we'd have to reintroduce slave labour :P .

LoL. They already had great paintjobs though. It's the inconsistency we complain about.

I must say latest pictures look better than first pics. I still don't like wiggly lines but now paint looks less marker like.

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 09:40:55 AM

LoL. They already had great paintjobs though. It's the inconsistency we complain about.

I must say latest pictures look better than first pics. I still don't like wiggly lines but now paint looks less marker like.

I agree on your point about the inconsistency. This is what I do not understand as well. They release models which are (almost) on the level of PNSO and then they release models that look much less refined. This appears as if very different teams are responsible for different models. I understand of course that the price difference between Haolonggood and PNSO is an important factor.

thomasw100

Diabloceratops already available for order at Lana Time Ship. Price is 16.99 USD.

suspsy

Haolonggood did state some months back that they had more in store for this year in addition to what was shown in the teaser.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

SidB

Ha! Yes, the predictable negativity from the usual quarters is tiresome and one has to be careful not to be worn down by it. I've been a collector for quite a while now, and considering the historical backdrop of these collectibles, even a slight drop in the quality of paint application seems quite excusable in the context of the thousands of products to have entered the market.
My recent 'favorite' complaint was that HLG's new Stegosaurus seemed "off". As avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator retorted, there was a very good reason for that - it's not even the same species. It really is of value to do even a bit of reading and research before levelling unfair criticism at others.

Ludodactylus

The Diabloceratops is a charming figure to be sure, and I like the slate blue color scheme (though both colors are excellent). It doesn't grab me as an immediate "must have" the way the Chasmosaurus and Stegosaurus have, but that's not any fault of the figure, and I don't have a single negative word to say about it.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on June 21, 2024, 01:06:41 PMHaolonggood did state some months back that they had more in store for this year in addition to what was shown in the teaser.

I know, I was simply asking if they stated they plan on dropping another teaser poster for the species they plan on releasing after the current ones. Because sure, they have plans for other releases, but they could choose not to drop another teaser and just reveal them one at a time as they usually do.

(...personally, I do hope they will show another teaser indeed).

Gwangi

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 21, 2024, 12:28:49 PMDiabloceratops already available for order at Lana Time Ship. Price is 16.99 USD.

This is why you won't see me complaining about the paintjob.  ::)

Turkeysaurus

Having negative opinion is quite natural  for a product fails to meet expectations from the company.

HLG made models near to PNSO quality before and still maintain cheaper price. The bar is high now. We know what they are capable of  and they couldn't deliver with one.

Price isn't a good argument since there are severall HLG & PNSO models with similar price have better paint job than this.

This is mediocre for HLG standards.

ceratopsian

Surely no recent PNSO models fall in this price bracket?  At least not where I live.

Gwangi

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 03:07:18 PMHaving negative opinion is quite natural  for a product fails to meet expectations from the company.

HLG made models near to PNSO quality before and still maintain cheaper price. The bar is high now. We know what they are capable of  and they couldn't deliver with one.

Price isn't a good argument since there are severall HLG & PNSO models with similar price have better paint job than this.

HLG is not making models with PNSO prices, they're making models with Safari Ltd. and Schleich prices. Constructive criticism is fine but expectations should be realistic and factors like price need to be accounted for. Complaining about a paintjob on a toy that costs less than $20 just comes across as whiny and spoiled. It's really not THAT bad. Y'all are being dramatic.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 21, 2024, 03:31:31 PMSurely no recent PNSO models fall in this price bracket?  At least not where I live.

Machairoceratops borealopelta pachyrhinosaurus tuojiangosaurus etc. 19 dollars with free shipping on aliexpress.

I bought my PNSO Ankylosaurus around that price.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on June 21, 2024, 04:13:31 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 03:07:18 PMHaving negative opinion is quite natural  for a product fails to meet expectations from the company.

HLG is not making models with PNSO prices, they're making models with Safari Ltd. and Schleich prices. Constructive criticism is fine but expectations should be realistic and factors like price need to be accounted for. Complaining about a paintjob on a toy that costs less than $20 just comes across as whiny and spoiled. It's really not THAT bad. Y'all are being dramatic.

HLG did better before with similar prices. It's not a cost issue.

Pinbacker

There's a lot whining about paint apps based on a couple of promo pictures...wait till people have this in hand. Haolonggood models always look better in hand, their promo pictures never look as good as they do in person. I'd think some people would have learned this by now.

Gwangi

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 04:20:14 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 21, 2024, 03:31:31 PMSurely no recent PNSO models fall in this price bracket?  At least not where I live.

Machairoceratops borealopelta pachyrhinosaurus tuojiangosaurus etc. 19 dollars with free shipping on aliexpress.

Those models are all from 4 or so years ago and ceratopsian specifically said recent. I don't remember the last time a PNSO model cost less than $30. The PNSO price increase over the last several years has been a topic of much discussion.

QuoteHLG did better before with similar prices. It's not a cost issue.

Some are better than others, it's true, but none are bad. The Diabloceratops isn't bad even if it's not their best. You're still getting more than what you're paying for.

ceratopsian

None of those is recent. They are all several years old.

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 21, 2024, 04:20:14 PM

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: